• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonjevic

Insaniac said:
is it me or does that pic look liked her "Final Smash"

perhaps the final smash is faked too?

edit: eh i take that back.

When we had that really horrid photo, that image looked like her final smash; her drawing on a bow, streaming with light and loaded with a light arrow.

Now, it looks like a fairly conventional attack, and I'm not so sure that it IS representative of her final smash.

Can we get a translation of all the text there?

EDIT: GOd, I have a bad memory. Having looked at the image again, it's a different part of the page entirely.

justchris

As far as tournaments and a league go, the best way to do it would be using a rating system. Have everyone start out with a standard rating (say 1600) and then revise rating up or down based on their wins and losses, with a greater change if the person you won/lost against was rated higher. Then add bonus points to a rating for tournament wins. That way, people wouldn't have to play in every tournament to keep their rating up.

We could also, theoretically, keep track of every tournament each person played in, and what type if was, to track their preferences vis a vis team, 1v1, 4 man brawl, items, no items and so on.

As far as deciding what type of tournaments to play, whoever's organizing the league can start collecting people's names & Friend Codes, and put them in a list based on when they signed up to join the league. And starting from the top, each person gets to set the rules for the next tournament. Rules settings can specify particular items, particular stages, even particular characters, as well as random characters or stages, item frequency, number of players, and teams on or off.

Of course, all of this would require someone willing to take responsibility and keep up with all this. I certainly wouldn't have the time to do it.

TheKingsCrown said:
If randomness contributes to a state during which one person is able to skillfully master items better than another, then does it not have to do with skill? Is it not equal between each mode then, if one uses skill, and the other mode uses skill? How do you measure which is more correct?

When some exploding stuff spawns right before your attack and there's nothing you can do about it, skill becomes irrelevant. You basically lose a stock without screwing up and without your opponent doing anything right. You're just like "heh, shit happens". Without items, well shit doesn't happen. You lose a stock, well it's your own damn fault. :lol

If there's a tournament with items here I'll join anyway. It's not like I don't know what they do.

Holy Order Sol said:
When some exploding stuff spawns right before your attack and there's nothing you can do about it, skill becomes irrelevant. You basically lose a stock without screwing up and without your opponent doing anything right. You're just like "heh, shit happens". Without items, well shit doesn't happen. You lose a stock, well it's your own damn fault. :lol
Should we also ensure everyone is using the same joysticks, all inspected to make sure there are no faults or advantages?

There is no such thing as "skill only".

ShockingAlberto said:
Should we also ensure everyone is using the same joysticks, all inspected to make sure there are no faults or advantages?

I've seen tournaments where they checked your controllers, I don't really know what they were looking for though. I don't ask that kind of questions. :lol

There is no such thing as "skill only".

True, you can only settle for what is the closest thing from "skill only". That's what they're currently doing with Melee.

swerve

Anyone yet mentioned that the game is at the World Hobby Fair in Osaka tomorrow? Maybe some impressions and movies might start filtering through...

Tonjevic

Holy Order Sol said:
I've seen tournaments where they checked your controllers, I don't really know what they were looking for though. I don't ask that kind of questions. :lol

There are controllers that you can get that allow you to program macros into it. So, basically, auto combos or wave-dashes at a button-press. In a game like smash, that's cheating whether you approve of items or not.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So seeing as Snake and Sonic, two confirmed secret characters, were not in that first bunch of CoroCoro cards, does that also mean that Olimar's exclusion confirms him being a secret character?

I can see it now. People are going to come up with a game mode that becomes increasingly popular, just like how people make custom maps in PC games that have little to do with the game itself.

Tonjevic

SovanJedi said:
So seeing as Snake and Sonic, two confirmed secret characters, were not in that first bunch of CoroCoro cards, does that also mean that Olimar's exclusion confirms him being a secret character?

It may be that some of the characters that have been revealed on the dojo could be unlockables. With Sakurai's philosophy of not being too fussed about revealing secrets, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, and he went back on his previous philosophy of only showing stuff that you get from the start, prior to the actual release of the game.

layzie1989 said:
Like I tell my friends, Captain Falcon is being turned into an item and the Excite Truck is taking his place!

ExciteTruck4.jpg
If Sega can put Hornet in their fighting game...

HornetVsDural.jpg

Nintendo can add Excite Truck to Brawl! :lol

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
SovanJedi said:

It could be that he is unlockable, who knows, but it also might be that Corocoro didn't have the rights to reveal him yet (since he wasn't yet revealed on the Dojo when the magazine went into print)

MisterHero

ShockingAlberto said:
The Pokemon panel made me laugh.
And he used Ash, not Red! That's awesome!

I have the EGM with Hsu and Chan's debut. It was a Pokemon spoof.

I also have their first comic book. It was funny, not that memorable though.

Sciz

CreatureX3 said:
If Sega can put Hornet in their fighting game...

HornetVsDural.jpg

Nintendo can add Excite Truck to Brawl! :lol

Fighters Megamix was and still is awesome, and I can't understand why Sega hasn't made a sequel after all these years.

webrunner

MisterHero said:
And he used Ash, not Red! That's awesome!

I have the EGM with Hsu and Chan's debut. It was a Pokemon spoof.

I also have their first comic book. It was funny, not that memorable though.

It makes sense, too. Pokemon Trainer/Red is obviously the trainer in Red, but Pikachu in Smash is partially based on the anime version, and partially based on Yellow.

Scribble

I'm glad he is confirmed fake.

Makes this speculation game even MORE exciting. Argh, I can't wait to find out the final roster! It'll be very interesting, since we've got all of the shoe-in characters out of the way (Dedede, Diddy, Olimar, Meta-Knight, Ike, etc.). All that's left is the characters people have been flipping arguing about for the last year or so!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fireblend said:
Interesting. I think it's the rumor that has convinced most people... Still, it's really unlikely they'd leave Sheik out, although I would prefer him(her?) as an entirely different character from Zelda.

Her as far as SSB is concerned

TreIII

LazerShark said:
http://www.gamespot.com/users/thealmightygoat/

Sad news guys, thealmightygoat is a hoax. At least it's only one more month.

...What? You actually thought this guy was SERIOUS? :lol :lol

I mean, c'mon! If this guy was for real, he would've leaked it all at once, so that all the information would have gotten out there. He would have gotten in trouble any way, but it at least would have made it so he would have gone done in style.

But he was deliberately holding back his supposed "info" because he wanted to be the center of attention, just like every other false prophet.

C'mon guys, it's only about a week and some change (or even shorter, considering Hong Kong rules). Won't be too much longer before this game is here and we stand to know everything.

TreIII

Firestorm said:
Do what I do and don't pay attention to them.
I wish people would stop calling them "prophets" and just call them attention whores.

But, you see, there ain't nothing wrong with callin' em prophets, as long as you pronounce it with "false" in front of it. :D

Innotech

Banned
Honestly, I think the reality of what has been unveiled on the dojo already has pretty much eclipsed some of the wildest speculation people have made. seriously, some major WTF moments. This game is going to be mind-fucking awesome.

M3wThr33

Banned
ezekial45 said:
When i meant updates i meant from the Site. I know that people who are gonna buy the jpn release will give the goods.
Well, some stuff ain't going to be found out naturally. It was discussed before, like the means to unlock Luigi. (Finish the first level with a 2 in the seconds place?)
Someone, I think Amirox, said that the blog for SSBM was updated for months after the JPN launch.

(Yes, I know, all characters can be unlocked through multiplayer by playing X number of matches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom