• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meloche

Well, he didn't make an experience system or anything so I'm happy. I doubt I'll be using many stickers though unless completely necessary... I don't like the idea of losing them if I die or not being able to take them off once I've put them on a trophy.

Crushed said:
Well... and this is the ONLY reason why I can think of Brawl roster reveals being "spoilers"... unknown new characters might appear in a dramatic fashion for the first time during an SSE cutscene. Knowing about it beforehand might lessen the effect.
Maybe, but you still won't know when they'll be appearing... the mystery will still be there. The way I look at it is that I'll get more thrill out of finding out new characters before the release when I can't play the game than I will as I go through later myself. Sure it'd be cool to go in completely cold and not know anything, but it's not like knowing everything will make it less enjoyable; I'll be playing the game, after all.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
At this rate it just might get there for me as well. I've been waiting 11 years for a sequel to Kirby Super Star and what do you know: four main series Kirby games and one remake later and naturally Sakurai himself is the only one who can come back and even approach his own creation, much less defeat it.

Heh...looks like I had every right to believe that this game was finally going to be the one to eclipse KSS.

And for good reason....gyat damn, Cherry-don...! :lol :lol

zaxor0

Will a Master Sword sticker make all weapon attacks Vorpal attacks? :D

Hmm this brings so much speculation around. More rpg elements maybe? Maybe I can make my own adventure 'stages'?

Serious question:

Sakurai says that after you beat a level you can adjust the difficulty. Do you think that's implying that the game will be like Goldeneye, where you can only play a level on hard after you've beaten it on easy.

Gekkonidae said:
Serious question:

Sakurai says that after you beat a level you can adjust the difficulty. Do you think that's implying that the game will be like Goldeneye, where you can only play a level on hard after you've beaten it on easy.

I do think one update said that difficulties were unlocked, yeah.

AceBandage said:
I do think one update said that difficulties were unlocked, yeah.

can anyone confirm this? that would add a whole extra level of depth to the game. seeing as it's the third smash game, and smash players are all full of themselves, why wouldn't we all at least try to start on intense? :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Kjellson said:
modea07_071005d-l.jpg

modea12_080118i-l.jpg

Looks like they changed the world map, there's a mountain or something to the right now.

Yeah it's zoomed out, but... holy crap, those levels we know about constitute 3% of the game!

This is going to be huge.

That must be the lake where Diddy and Fox confront Rayquaza too, down and to the right from the Subspace explosion aftermath thingy.

Cowie

I'm really glad stickers were left out for multiplayer. As a competitive smasher (yeah, one of those) it would just be annoying, and it would also really detract from the easy to get into party game multiplayer that really makes the game so big. It's always been a great game for people to pick up, say 'oh hey cool, link!' and jump into a frantic four man battle. It'd be much less so when the person who already owns the game forces you to compete with his SUPER CUSTOMIZED METAKNIGHT while you're still figuring out what the buttons do. Its even less appealing if you have to show him how to customize his character, and the point is lost if everyone is playing on your set of fully customized characters. Save it for single player.

Gekkonidae said:
Tonight: Newcomer John Madden!

His final Smash will be his voice turned up really loud with over 2,000 sound samples that cut themselves together randomly..

"The great thing about great football is that when a player is on the field and he's running with the ball the quarterback has a chance to kick the ball heh heh it's gonna go all the way!"

And then all of his opponents fly off the screen..or their ears bleed. :lol

TreIII

Cowie said:
I'm really glad stickers were left out for multiplayer. As a competitive smasher (yeah, one of those) it would just be annoying, and it would also really detract from the easy to get into party game multiplayer that really makes the game so big. It's always been a great game for people to pick up, say 'oh hey cool, link!' and jump into a frantic four man battle. It'd be much less so when the person who already owns the game forces you to compete with his SUPER CUSTOMIZED METAKNIGHT while you're still figuring out what the buttons do. Its even less appealing if you have to show him how to customize his character, and the point is lost if everyone is playing on your set of fully customized characters. Save it for single player.

But why does it have to be like so?

Again, my thing is, save it for a "Special Brawl" (Sticker Brawl!), where they can be used and people can go nuts with their custom configurations as much as they pleased. Your Standard Brawls would be left alone, and everybody is happy.

I mean, if Smash is basically built more or less on the context of people being able to play the game however the hell they want, why not allow them to do so?

Huh, so there are character exclusive stickers. I guess it mostly goes by franchise.

modea12_080118e-l.jpg

Cellphone can only be used by Kirby, Metaknight, and DeDeDe.

modea12_080118d-l.jpg

This banana, however, can be used by anyone. I guess that explains the Animal Crossing sticker, too. It's probably unique to a few characters.

Cowie

TreIII said:
But why does it have to be like so?

Again, my thing is, save it for a "Special Brawl" (Sticker Brawl!), where they can be used and people can go nuts with their custom configurations as much as they pleased. Your Standard Brawls would be left alone, and everybody is happy.

I mean, if Smash is basically built more or less on the context of people being able to play the game however the hell they want, why not allow them to do so?

I guess i could see it working as a special brawl mode, but I just don't see it catching on. How many people here have played a special brawl match recently, or hell, even a coin or bonus match? And I mean, if you have the option of playing your well tuned character, wouldn't you want to? I remember people in Soul Calibur II (ugh) always wanted to play special mode so they could use their ultimate weapons, and that really detracted from the experience, for me at least.

And then there comes the problem of bringing your character with you to another wii.. sd cards would be a hassle, and if there is in fact enough storage on a wii remote, this leaves out the gamecube controller. It probably presented a logistical hassle not proportionate to the actual desire for the feature -- It's never been in Smash before.

Awesome, this game is life.

I love how Sakurai just shows us the slightest bit of a letter/character in the rightside box for the Katrina sticker. He just loves to tease us, it's sick really. :lol

Teasel

ShockingAlberto said:
Huh, so there are character exclusive stickers. I guess it mostly goes by franchise.

modea12_080118e-l.jpg

Cellphone can only be used by Kirby, Metaknight, and DeDeDe.

modea12_080118d-l.jpg

This banana, however, can be used by anyone. I guess that explains the Animal Crossing sticker, too. It's probably unique to a few characters.
looking at these pics i'm noticing something... there doesn't seem to be any grid of sort (the banana guy and the bana peels are both occupying the same square) but i don't think that would be a great idea as you would have to be ultraprecise for how you place your stickers (a cm on the left... no,a centimeter to the right)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:

Thats what I said. The U probably is the word unique. Yet a damper on the sticker being unique to an unrevealed AC character is that said character wouldnt have magic attacks.

Fireblend

Banned
Cowie said:
I guess i could see it working as a special brawl mode, but I just don't see it catching on. How many people here have played a special brawl match recently, or hell, even a coin or bonus match? And I mean, if you have the option of playing your well tuned character, wouldn't you want to? I remember people in Soul Calibur II (ugh) always wanted to play special mode so they could use their ultimate weapons, and that really detracted from the experience, for me at least.

And then there comes the problem of bringing your character with you to another wii.. sd cards would be a hassle, and if there is in fact enough storage on a wii remote, this leaves out the gamecube controller. It probably presented a logistical hassle not proportionate to the actual desire for the feature -- It's never been in Smash before.

I'm sure there would be people who would enjoy such an alternate mode; I often play those extra modes in SSBM, I'll appreciate every extra mode that's into the game. Sakurai already said that stickers are off-limits for standard brawls but I'm sure me and my friends would enjoy customizing our characters as good as we can in some sort of stickers-on mode.

And I'd say a pretty good amount of content and mechanics from this game has never been in Smash before, especially considering the development liberty Sakurai has had with this one; so comparing both games development decisions could be some sort of flawed logic. I'm sure it could work, maybe even some kind of sticker brawl online were you lose stickers to your enemy if you lose? I'd really like that. Plus, why would anyone complain for an extra mode who wouldn't detract at all from those who think of these power-ups as cheap or "less casual"?

The basic brawl feature isn't going away, and even tho you are right in your previous post saying that its simplicity is what make casuals get into the game, as long as that mode exists the game isn't losing any of its appeal. I see nothing wrong with such an extra mode at all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stormbringer said:
Just found this picture while browsing the web :

img

Does anyone knows where it is from and where I can find more ?

It was from EGM's SSB article I believe

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Teasel said:
looking at these pics i'm noticing something... there doesn't seem to be any grid of sort (the banana guy and the bana peels are both occupying the same square) but i don't think that would be a great idea as you would have to be ultraprecise for how you place your stickers (a cm on the left... no,a centimeter to the right)

I think that's the point? You have to arrange them so you can get as many good stickers on the base of a trophy as you can manage.

If you don't like it, just let the game auto arrange it for you.

Jiggy

Random tangent: I guess Sakurai's found yet another way to attract the female userbase. First there was tight clothing for Snake (and Fox for the furries). Now there are stickers. High school and even some college girls would be all over this.

Pureauthor said:
Eh, guys, if any of the characters I care about make it in as Stickers, could I get a PM?
So that's Franz, Amelia, any Ouendan/EBA characters, and the character banned from this thread. Got it.

Random tangent: It'd be kind of hilarious if that banned character was in Brawl--as a sticker. Would there ever be tears.

TheKingsCrown said:
This update really solidifies Sakurai's brilliance as a game designer to me. Not that I am some ultimate judge or anything, but the sticker thing really turned me off because it had no tie-in to the gameplay. So what does Sakurai do? He ties it into the gameplay, in a huge fucking way.

[...]

Amazing job Sakurai. You, like Iwata, are showing us things that we didn't know we wanted but now we do!
Agreed, this and the trophy stands have seriously impressed. Trophies were only marginally related to gameplay in Melee, and even then it was only in that one minigame.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jiggy37 said:
Random tangent: It'd be kind of hilarious if that banned character was in Brawl--as a sticker. Would there ever be tears.

It'd be exclusive to Kirby and double the strength of his ability-stealing move. He'd be a monster!

Teasel

SovanJedi said:
I think that's the point? You have to arrange them so you can get as many good stickers on the base of a trophy as you can manage.

If you don't like it, just let the game auto arrange it for you.

my point is that it would have been easier if there was an actual grid of sort instead (placing a squared banana and then placing other squared stuff is more easy than to place the actual banana shape and then try to put stuff around the spot the banana shape leaved empty)
and doesn't the autoarrange option pick sticker at random?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pretty interesting update. Since it appears most of these stickers merely enhance stats, doesn't the whole handicap slider sort of negate the need for a special brawl mode with stickers?

Jiggy

Brandon F said:
Pretty interesting update. Since it appears most of these stickers merely enhance stats, doesn't the whole handicap slider sort of negate the need for a special brawl mode with stickers?
Well, the handicaps weaken all stats. The stickers only change very specific parameters...

Jiggy37 said:
Random tangent: I guess Sakurai's found yet another way to attract the female userbase. First there was tight clothing for Snake (and Fox for the furries). Now there are stickers. High school and even some college girls would be all over this.

So that's Franz, Amelia, any Ouendan/EBA characters, and the character banned from this thread. Got it.

Agreed, this and the trophy stands have seriously impressed. Trophies were only marginally related to gameplay in Melee, and even then it was only in that one minigame.

Wait, what do you mean by the Trophy stands? Did I miss an update?

Taichu

I'm sure someone has probably already mentioned this in the thread, but it totally reminds me of the powerup system in Jump Super Stars.

Every time I think he's announced all the sweetest parts of the game, he always comes out with something so unexpected and so fun. Please, please, please have a Sticker Brawl mode!!

Jiggy

I didn't see us speculating on this (maybe I missed it), but did spot it in the Go.Nintendo comments: Andy is the one sticker we've seen in this update with a black background. And I went back and looked at the stickers update--and, yep, Andy's still the only one with a black background.
Some were considering the possibility that it might mean Andy was playable, but that doesn't seem true; Ike, Donkey Kong, and Kirby have various stickers with white backgrounds.

So what do you think it means? I'm sure someone will come up with the answer if we brainstorm. :eek:

TheKingsCrown said:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea11.html

TheKingsCrown said:

In SSE, there's a Pokemon element.
You find Trophy stands that you use to capture enemies and make them trophies.
But you have to weaken them first.

Jiggy37 said:
I didn't see us speculating on this (maybe I missed it), but did spot it in the Go.Nintendo comments: Andy is the one sticker we've seen in this update with a black background. And I went back and looked at the stickers update--and, yep, Andy's still the only one with a black background.
Some were considering the possibility that it might mean Andy was playable, but that doesn't seem true; Ike, Donkey Kong, and Kirby have various stickers with white backgrounds.

So what do you think it means? I'm sure someone will come up with the answer if we brainstorm. :eek:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea11.html

Ohhhhhhh okay. I remember now. Yeah, I like that, but not as much as this: )

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:

Wow, I noticed this when I first glanced over the update but I completely forgot about it afterward. Got really wrapped up in the potential awesomeness of the update :D

Hmm if I had to take a guess I'd say that the outline color represents the rarity of the sticker? Or maybe it's for a sticker acquired through special means?

zaxor0

Stormbringer said:
Just found this picture while browsing the web :

Does anyone knows where it is from and where I can find more ?

It is from the most recent EGM I believe, they had a special issue where there are 12 different covers, one with each character. That picture is from the start of the article in the magazine.

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize so many people responded so far.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
All this talk of elements being enhanced by stickers is making me hopeful that you can use elemental abilities to alter the environment, like Kirby can in his games.

For example, Sakurai could hide a CD or a trophy across a river of lava (or something) in a Subspace Emissary level. Lucas could use PK Freeze to solidify the lava and get the item. Sakurai had puzzles like this in The Great Cave Offensive and it would be awesome if he used the mechanic again.

(And yes, I just had to use Lucas as the example.)

Plus it would mean replay value through the roof.

While I'm on the subject of the Subspace Emissary, I find it intriguing how "generic" the map looks. I mean, I understand that Skyworld is in the sky, but I would have imagined that the Subspace Map would incorporate various Nintendo landmarks. Like, I don't see where New Pork City or Icicle Mountain would be. I don't see any islands that could be Yoshi's Island, or any castles that could be Hyrule Castle. Kongo Jungle is probably one of the forested areas, but I wonder how a Star Fox or Pikmin level would fit onto this map.

Unless we won't be visiting any Nintendo landmarks in the SSE at all...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Iam Canadian said:
All this talk of elements being enhanced by stickers is making me hopeful that you can use elemental abilities to alter the environment, like Kirby can in his games.

For example, Sakurai could hide a CD or a trophy across a river of lava (or something) in a Subspace Emissary level. Lucas could use PK Freeze to solidify the lava and get the item. Sakurai had puzzles like this in The Great Cave Offensive and it would be awesome if he used the mechanic again.

(And yes, I just had to use Lucas as the example.)

Plus it would mean replay value through the roof.
Thats quite a good idea. It gives you more incentive to play through the SSE with as many different characters because you might need to use a special ability which is unique to on character only to get a certain item in a level.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Teasel said:
my point is that it would have been easier if there was an actual grid of sort instead (placing a squared banana and then placing other squared stuff is more easy than to place the actual banana shape and then try to put stuff around the spot the banana shape leaved empty)
and doesn't the autoarrange option pick sticker at random?
A grid might help, but I dont think it will make that much of a difference. You can rearrange the stickers you've already put on if you're having trouble fitting them on

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It makes me wonder if larger characters will have bigger trophy bases and thus can fit more stickers on.

Heaven knows that some of the heavier characters (looking at you, Bowser) could use the buffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom