• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This update makes the SSE so much more interesting. There must be so many different stickers, so think about all the different powers you could have.

RagnarokX

I just realized something...

modea12_080118b-l.jpg

Why is this screen zoomed in the way it is? It's hiding the equipable characters list :p They don't want us to see that there's a playable Animal Crossing character.

woxel1

RagnarokX said:
Why is this screen zoomed in the way it is? It's hiding the equipable characters list :p They don't want us to see that there's a playable Animal Crossing character.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP!

gimz

RagnarokX said:

modea12_080118b-l.jpg

Animal Crosser confirmed? = Mii?

KevinCow

Banned
RagnarokX said:

It's zoomed in because:
You can find the details of each sticker’s power-up ability here.

Oh, wait, I see what you're saying. Huh...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jiggy37 said:
I get the feeling I'll be stockpiling duplicate stickers. It's gonna be insane.

On another note, I wonder if the characters who aren't unlocked through Subspace Emissary will still be playable in Subspace Emissary. Even if it's an Advance Wars DS kind of thing where a bunch of characters aren't playable in the "main" adventure mode until after you've beaten the game, I still want to be able to play Jigglypuff sooner or later. >_>

Especially since Leg Attack+ stickers would be pretty fantastically awesome on a character who's more or less only a leg attacker.
My guess is after you unlock a non-Subspace character a stage that you can play as them will open up on the map or they will be selectable for the stages that you have finished. I also hope that there is some kind of final SSE stage after you get all the characters where all of them take turns doing something awesome and finally wrap up the story.

Penguin

Neo C. said:
all the following JRPGs should include a sticker-system.

Haha was thinking it would make for a new and interesting system.

Hell, I wonder if there is any plans for like an SSE spin-off or something. I mean a new race of villians. an RPG system in place. Hell they even got a fighting engine to work with. It has potential.

Insaniac

sooo... i wonder what constitutes a "magic" attack. Zelda's moves? So would Din's fire be boosted by Fire sticker and katrina? *ponders*

RagnarokX

KevinCow said:
It's zoomed in because:

Oh, wait, I see what you're saying. Huh...
But it has text in the right box, the other stickers don't seem to have that.

Also:
modea12_080118e-l.jpg

This sticker has a list of characters that can use it.

Insaniac said:
sooo... i wonder what constitutes a "magic" attack. Zelda's moves? So would Din's fire be boosted by Fire sticker and katrina? *ponders*
I'm assuming special attacks are "magic".

psycho_snake

Diablohead said:
Sticker useage sounds great, a shame you cannot use them in some sort of custom multiplayer though.
yeah thats the one disappointing thing about it really. There should be brawl mode that lets you use characters with sticker powers.

Jiggy

RagnarokX said:
I'm assuming special attacks are "magic".
I doubt all of them are. For example, Link's Up B, Meta Knight's forward B, and any of Sonic's special attacks all seem totally physical to me.

Insaniac

psycho_snake said:
yeah thats the one disappointing thing about it really. There should be brawl mode that lets you use characters with sticker powers.

don't doubt sakurai :) There just may be some way he implements it into a special battle mode

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
I doubt all of them are. For example, Link's Up B, Meta Knight's forward B, and any of Sonic's special attacks all seem totally physical to me.
True, but in some RPGs special attacks that don't look magical can require MP. I dunno.

psycho_snake

Brawl looks like a huge improvement to Melle. I loved melee, but Brawl looks like its going to be so much better. They've managed to add so much more, such as a detailed story mode, online, co-op a stage builder etc

Insaniac

Jiggy37 said:

well lets see what we've seen so far:

Slash Attack - Attacks with a blade/sword
Magic Attack - "magical" attacks
Launch Resistance
Slash Resistance
Launch Power
Arm Attack - Attacks with the arm, punches etc
Weapon Attack - Attacks with any sort of weapon
Electric Attack - Electrical attacks (pika >.>)
Flame Attack - Fire-based attacks (Bowser, Charizard, Din's Fire?)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Equippable-stat-boosting-collectible-equipment - if only I could express my one true sexual turn-on to girls without them laughing at me...

At least Advance Wars is coming out soon to help tide me over.

psycho_snake

Insaniac said:
don't doubt sakurai :) There just may be some way he implements it into a special battle mode
I dont think so. If there was a brawl mode that let you use those sticker powers, then he would have probably mentioned it in today's update.

Cruceh

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I really hope so. It'd be as awesome as jump ultimate stars!

If brawl does not come with a stick brawl mode i'm sure sometime down the line they could add it in, hopefully it would be as easy as a small patch on your wii that tells the game what rules to use or something.

RagnarokX

OK, I thought maybe the Japanese version would yield more clues...

modea12_080118b-l.jpg

I don't know Japanese, but a friend said it could be the kanji for "major" or "exclusive use"

Sciz

I'm never going to need another game ever again.

Jiggy37 said:
Also, another wonderful thing about this update is that it brings the game one step closer to having the Pokemon Mode I keep saying I want. >_> Since attacks are now clearly being classified for their type (fire, ice, etc.), that would make it really plausible to do a setup where Charizard takes double from Squirtle and Pikachu, etc. (I needn't go on--I've done it enough times in this thread.)

I'm expecting it in a limited fashion at this point. Even Kirby Super Star had a fire/ice dynamic (perhaps more, but that's the most obvious one). Since they've gone to the effort to code in elemental attack attributes, I'd be surprised if they don't factor into defenses as well, at least for bosses and minions.

justchris

Sciz said:
I'm expecting it in a limited fashion at this point. Even Kirby Super Star had a fire/ice dynamic (perhaps more, but that's the most obvious one). Since they've gone to the effort to code in elemental attack attributes, I'd be surprised if they don't factor into defenses as well, at least for bosses and minions.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they did code it into playable characters as well, although they may not have exactly followed the rules for Pokemon. It's one way they could balance out certain matchups without having to competely rework a characers move set or base attributes (speed, power, defense, attack lag).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RagnarokX said:

modea12_080118b-l.jpg

Could be saying Unique, as in a rare sticker?

MutFox

Banned
Cruceh said:
I really hope so. It'd be as awesome as jump ultimate stars!

Jump Ultimate Stars! is the 1st thing that popped into my mind.
This game is officially perfect.

In the back of my mind I was always thinking "That feature from J.U.S! should be in Smash."
It's as if they read my mind.
:D

LOL,i win money from my friend now!

2 weeks ago, i told him that SSBB will have everything you want in a game, then he mentioned RPG elements, i stumbled there and said that i bet SSE will have some form of RPG element. We had a little bet and today, it has come true, stickers for the win!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RagnarokX said:
OK, I thought maybe the Japanese version would yield more cluse...

modea12_080118b-l.jpg

I don't know Japanese, but a friend said it could be the kanji for "major" or "exclusive use"

Uuuuhhh...where? The top line is Katrina (JP name is Hakemi) and then the JP name for Animal Crossing (oideyo doubutsu no mori). The bottom line is the kanji for magic attack (mahou kougesa).

EDIT: Oh, you mean on the edge...se...something. It could be.

thetrin said:
Uuuuhhh...where? The top line is Katrina and then the JP name for Animal Crossing. The bottom line is the kanji for magic attack (mahou kougesa).
The grey letter/word on the far right thats cropped off? I would think he means that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh, the kanji is 専 (sen) which means special.

Papercuts said:
I wonder if one of the rarest stickers in the game would take up the whole base of the trophy. I could see one looking like the smash symbol, and it would make your character in a constant Final Smash mode.

That would be so fucking awesome.

I can see ones that make you faster, give you a third jump, make you jump higher, and some that give you a faster recoil from your attacks. OMG tonight's update opens up so many possibilities

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I have concluded that Sakurai has made some sort of, Super-Game. We might have to write a new definition of such a project.

RagnarokX

thetrin said:
Oh, the kanji is 専 (sen) which means special.
Thanks, I looked sen up in a dictionary and if the full word is senzoku, senmon, senyuu, or senyou it could mean there's a character who can exclusively use this sticker, right?

Vlad

pn18 said:
It would have been much easier for Sakurei to blog about everything which is not in Brawl.

At this point, I'm honestly having trouble thinking of what I'd want in the game that hasn't already been revealed. Sure, there's the odd character that I'd like to see in (Ridley, etc), but it seems like all the major features are in, plus a bunch of stuff that I never knew I wanted.

NeonZ

Jiggy37 said:
Playable characters had several trophies in Melee.
Of course, knowing Sakurai, I guess he wouldn't let playable character info leak by showing a trophy.
Of course, knowing Sakurai, maybe he's just trying to trick us by putting playable characters so closely in front of our faces that we'd never think they're playable.
Of course, knowing Sakurai, maybe he's just trying to trick us by assuming we'll think he's trying to trick us. :O

Luigi's classic trophy was shown in the SSBM site before he was revealed.

Gekkonidae said:
I don't buy the whole cell-shaded link idea. Unless they're planning on building an entire cell-shading engine just for one character, which I don't see happening.

The pokefloats level in SSBM was celshaded...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
kinda scary with upgradeable characters in a sense, but I think this will work out quite nicely.

and holy shit at the amount of traffic this thread has....

Vlad

Kevtones said:
Creative :D

Does it have a rhythm game in it yet?

Well, supposedly Donkey Kong's final smash works better if you hit the button in time to the music or something.

So, in a certain way, it does.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Holy mother of god. Imagine the arguments over possible sticker/character combinations in CO-OP.

This game is going to last years. And years and years and years.

Also, I wonder if there are stickers made exclusively for powering up Pikmin? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom