• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

Keru_Shiri said:
Damn, that's pretty awesome regarding stickers. Two things I like:

1. Attacks have attributes: Leg, Fire, Magic, I like this level of detail. They are really making the SSE mode something special.

2. Same bonuses do not stack. Any D&D nerds in here? I got a chuckle out of the "same bonuses do not stack" rule.
Haha, same here. Maybe there are some dodge bonuses, lolz.

Ashhong said:
Oh no... I can't say I approve of the customizing of powers, etc. I liked smash because I didn't have to worry about having to upgrade my character properly, etc, and just abiding by the balance set by Nintendo...

Anyone notice he uses gamecube buttons in the game? maybe hes done that before, but it just screams "i might as well be on the gc" to me. :lol SSBB would have been one hell of a swan song for GC.

Sakurai said his favorite control from Brawl is the GCN setup, for rumble.

Ashhong said:
Oh no... I can't say I approve of the customizing of powers, etc. I liked smash because I didn't have to worry about having to upgrade my character properly, etc, and just abiding by the balance set by Nintendo...
Well, it's only in single player, so you don't have to worry too much. Of course, you could also just go through the game without any stickers attached at all.

KevinCow

Banned
Ashhong said:
Words are good for reading:
Finally, remember that stickers are only of use within The Subspace Emissary. Sorry to say, but they’ll be of no use to you in standard brawls.

Also, why the hell are people referring to Sakurai as Cherry-don these days? Did I miss something?

Man God said:
Losing half when you die is certainly going to murder some of my OCD friends.
It's only on the Game Over (Press Start To Continue) nonsense.

Anyways, I'm a bit sad that there's no sticker mode for the brawl. Would make too much sense with the player profile thing they've done.

Fenix

The only thing that could make this even better would be to announce SSE co-op is also available online. I mean, I doubt it's gonna happen, but imagine the possibilities.

Chumly said:
Ok was that half your overall collection or half of the ones you collect during the level you are playing?
I pray it's the latter.
Man God said:
Oh no, half of all equipped when you need to continue is SSE. It's a minor detail that will absolutely destroy my friends.
They should be giving me more stickers when I die, because clearly I need all the help I can get!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Chumly said:
Ok was that half your overall collection or half of the ones you collect during the level you are playing?

Oh no, half of all equipped when you need to continue is SSE. It's a minor detail that will absolutely destroy my friends.

dyls said:
I definitely hope there is a "Sticker Brawl." even if it's only for local games. It would add even another layer to the already incredible depth, and promptly be banned at tournaments.
Since there's a means to limiting sticker selection, and since players can assign stickers before hand, I don't see why tournaments would ban it.

Or was this just to be an ass to tournament players?

Fenix said:
The only thing that could make this even better would be to announce SSE co-op is also available online. I mean, I doubt it's gonna happen, but imagine the possibilities.

I believe that this has already been hinted at.

Fenix said:

....I thought that was confirmed?

TreIII

rhfb said:
Sure it might be unbalanced, but imagine the POSSIBILITIES if it were possible for local MP. Would allow for all possible custom/grudge matches.

That would pretty much be all I could stand to see. He did say that they would be of no use to us in "STANDARD brawls"... :D

KevinCow said:
Also, why the hell are people referring to Sakurai as Cherry-don these days? Did I miss something?

It comes from some Japanese citizens call him that, including on niconico douga.

It's sort of an in-joke that comes from how the "Sakura" in "Sakurai" actually refers to Cherry-blossoms, while "Don" I think is a cute way of saying "Dono" (an old style way of saying "master" in JP), so in effect making him "Young Master Cherry".

It also helps that he's got such a boyish-face any way... :lol

gimz

wow, first i read the title on the smash bro page i thought "meh, sticker again"
then i got more excited as i read alone, wow

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder if one of the rarest stickers in the game would take up the whole base of the trophy. I could see one looking like the smash symbol, and it would make your character in a constant Final Smash mode.

That would be so fucking awesome.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh, impressive.

Ashhong said:

Anyone notice he uses gamecube buttons in the game? maybe hes done that before, but it just screams "i might as well be on the gc" to me. :lol SSBB would have been one hell of a swan song for GC.

You could go through the game without using stickers if you want.

And no, the game wouldn't work on GC.

Jiggy

Ah, good call on racing, guys. :D

TreIII said:
Like I've been saying...Dating/Sim-Life! Let me woo Samus! :D
I can only hope. Snake in a love triangle with Zero Suit Samus and Zelda could make for lulz and whantot.

Also, another wonderful thing about this update is that it brings the game one step closer to having the Pokemon Mode I keep saying I want. >_> Since attacks are now clearly being classified for their type (fire, ice, etc.), that would make it really plausible to do a setup where Charizard takes double from Squirtle and Pikachu, etc. (I needn't go on--I've done it enough times in this thread.)

Ashhong

underfooter said:
Sakurai said his favorite control from Brawl is the GCN setup, for rumble.

I know he said that, but it is still a game on the Wii, and I just thought it was funny that he uses GC buttons.

and I didn't really read the update after I got the gist of it since I didn't care, but its good that its only for the Subspace. Even then though, sometimes I don't like choice :lol It's probably why I dont like RPGs that much either. Too much of a guessing game picking upgrades and whatnot.

JCX

this has been one of the best weeks for updates (besides the delay). I really hope this means SE is long or has significant branching paths.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
god I must be really tired. read the first sentence of the intro as

Your battle against the Subspace Emissary will be one of epic furries

Ashhong said:
That just means a GC controller is being used to control the action in Brawl. If a Wiimote is being used, then the in-game icons will change.

Rindain

Banned
I love the interface of having different size stickers and trying to fit them on a trophy. Sakurai and team are amazingly creative.

Actually, if we really wanted to stretch things, we could say Brawl is a puzzler to:

Sticker assignment will take clever use of positioning to maximize the benefit of your limited sticker base.

Ashhong

CreatureX3 said:
That just means a GC controller is being used to control the action in Brawl.

Hm, good point. You think that the icons change whenever you use a different controller? I don't think thats the case, but its possible I guess.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darunia said:
god I must be really tired. read the first sentence of the intro as

Your battle against the Subspace Emissary will be one of epic furries

Krystal/Sonic dating sim incoming

TreIII

Keru_Shiri said:
Actually, if we really wanted to stretch things, we could say Brawl is a puzzler to:

Sticker assignment will take clever use of positioning to maximize the benefit of your limited sticker base.

:lol

But seriously, considering that Sakurai probably had at least SOME input on Kirby's puzzle game adventures, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we some how got a bona fide puzzle game in here too...

Oh, shit.

With stat boosts, imagine that they could include a Luck increase, which would increase the chances of finding trophies, Trophy Bases, Stickers, CDs, rare Pokémon, and rare ATs.

Dreavus

This is so cool! And here I thought stickers were just watered down trophies... this almost makes the game feel like a card battler or something.

SSE is going to be fucking awesome.

TreIII

A Link to the Snitch said:
Oh, shit.

With stat boosts, imagine that they could include a Luck increase, which would increase the chances of finding trophies, Trophy Bases, Stickers, CDs, rare Pokémon, and rare ATs.

....Good grief, you're trying to make our heads explode all over again, aren't you? :lol

turk128

Jiggy37 said:
So we've got action, shmup, platformer, fighting game, and RPG represented. Next up?
Mini collectible card game? Or, better yet, Pokemon Snap/Dead Rising style mini game using the built in screencap?

Artanisix

A Link to the Snitch said:
Oh, shit.

And we could then analyze which characters make the best goody farmers, choose their appropriate stage, and then grind out and farm these rare items with maximum efficiency! YES!

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
Forgot adventure
Good point!

Dreavus said:
This is so cool! And here I thought stickers were just watered down trophies... this almost makes the game feel like a card battler or something.
Well, we could always get that trophy strategy game that someone or other proposed in here. (Sorry to whoever it is I'm forgetting. :( My connection's way too spotty right now to search for your post.)

Insaniac

Jiggy37 said:
Well, we could always get that trophy strategy game that someone or other proposed in here. (Sorry to whoever it is I'm forgetting. :( My connection's way too spotty right now to search for your post.)

You mean kinda like chess w/ trophies? Holy shit that'd be awesome if there was some sort of minigame like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom