• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Absinthe said:
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not really impressed with this announcement, but I think it's kick ass that he is practically making better decisions than Nintendo is with their games and franchises. They really should make demos an inherent part of the Wii Shop Channel service. I don't think that would be too terribly hard to implement.

most people don't play more than a few levels of any old school game. free demos would kill so much money its not even funny.

Jiggy

Sciz said:
While we're on the subject of "what else can there possibly be?", I'd like to go ahead and predict an unlockable free play mode for SSE that lets you play through any levels with any character, albeit with the story sequences edited out.
Yeah, I think it's all but guaranteed at this point, after the stickers update. No way they'd just make the powerups totally inaccessible to non-SSE characters.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Am I reading that right that they are on a timed basis? Seems stupid when their contained in a 50$ game. We're not getting them of the Wii Shop channel here. Why not just give us part of the game and let us play it however many times we want. It would probably save some memory too.

Spoit

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I think it's all but guaranteed at this point, after the stickers update. No way they'd just make the powerups totally inaccessible to non-SSE characters.
Or maybe SSE grows as you unlock characters. Probably not, but it's not quite so far out there that I can deny the possibility out of hand

Rindain

Banned
Sciz said:
While we're on the subject of "what else can there possibly be?", I'd like to go ahead and predict an unlockable free play mode for SSE that lets you play through any levels with any character, albeit with the story sequences edited out.
There will also likely be a Boss Rush mode, but it probably won't be revealed until a little while after the game comes out.

Spoit

tapedeck said:
There's actually a lot of footage in that vid that Ive never seen.
I've been avoiding the spoiler thread, but is that character select screen they flash a leak or just a random internet fake?

Sharp

ProfessorLobo said:
Pretty much. I've played these full games plenty of times. Why would I care about a bunch of demos of twenty year old games?
Because they'll expose those games to other people. Stop being so selfish. Do you really think I haven't already bought all these games (with the exception of Ice Climbers)? Nintendo, and Sakurai, know how popular Smash is going to be, and they know that there's a vast audience out there who might not have been aware that these games even existed, let alone were downloadable on the Wii, until now.

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:

Well, I'm also expecting everyone to have a role somehow, so it'll be especially nice if I'm wrong. >_>

But I hope I'm not.

Scribble

Vlad said:
Wow, I guess I never took that good of a look at the actual title for Donkey Kong Country 2. All this time I thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest. I didn't realize that it was actually Diddy's Kong Quest until I heard the narrator say it in that video.

Same. I initially thought Gametrailers made a mistake, till I rewound it a bit and saw the hyphen after Kong.

:lol

Chris R

This is cool because I've wanted to try a few games out before getting them on VC :lol

edit: That video... I CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Part of me wonders if this means NCL is planning on offering similar demos across the board in the Shopping Channel.

The other part of me wonders if this is designed less to be "demos" and more to be "challenges", sort of like Wario Ware. Snippets of games with hidden trophy challenges, perhaps.

Jiggy

-After a long time of arguably no megatons, the 12th one by my count lands, and its name is "Masterpieces." ("Arguably" because I'm sure some would want to make the case for, say, Olimar or Sticker Power-Ups or possibly even Trophy Stands... Actually, I kind of want to have out that argument in a whole blood and guts way, since we've had loads of stuff I've thought of as being very much on the borderline. But not tonight, because I'm going to sleep soon. :D)

-Game modes reach 35 updates.

-Friday moves up to 7 game mode updates. Incidentally, because there have been so many game mode updates, Friday's exact place in the hierarchy is unclear. Friday's 7 are all "official" updates, having had their own separate section. Wednesday also had "7," but three were unofficial: Replays, Team mode, and boss rematches. Meanwhile, Monday had "8," but two were unofficial--Coin Mode and co-op Target Smash--so one might argue that it only had 6 and Friday should be ahead. Leave it to Sakurai to make accurate statistics tracking impossible? :D

-3 days of updates remaining until the Japanese release date.

Jiggy

Mistouze said:
tapedeck said:
Apparently the pre-orders for Brawl in Japan exceed the estimated 400,000 or so copies that will be available for launch. How hard is it to stamp out a shitload of DVD's?
I would say a bit easier than ductaping two gamecubes.
But harder than putting up VC game demos without a former employee coming in and doing it for you. :(

Not to take away from Sakurai, though. Only Nintendo itself. :/

Maybe this is why the US version got delayed by a month? So that they can finish off the localisation of Fire Emblem for VC in time to be included in demo form with SSBB!!!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What?!?! Demos of the character's games?! But what will they do for Fire Emblem, Wario, and Earthbound? Metal Gear and Sonic? My mind has been blown!

Also, its interesting that they choose Star Fox 64 over the original

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Jiggy37 said:
But harder than putting up VC game demos without a former employee coming in and doing it for you. :(

Not to take away from Sakurai, though. Only Nintendo itself. :/

One thing to remember with Nintendo, even when they are awesome they always manage to fuck up in some ways. It's all in the details.

Scribble

It would be uber-cool if they did a LOCALISED demo for some of the older Fire Emblems, and Mother 3. The Masterpiece mode would be good in that way.

Jiggy

Finally got to watching that Gametrailers video. I've thought for a long, long while that the retrospectives are by far the best part of GT, and that opinion hasn't changed. Although some of the Pokemon info wasn't accurate, I do appreciate that there's at least one game site out there capable of actually researching the history of gaming for the most part. (Compare to 1up--I think it was them-- EGM, thanks Ragnarok, who thought Meta Knight didn't deserve to be in Brawl because they thought he was just a regular Kirby enemy. :|)

pulga

Banned
Holy shit, this better mean I finally get to try out a ¨Mother¨ game. Don't deny us what Nintendo has long withheld, Sakurai!

Odrion

Banned
DavidDayton said:
The other part of me wonders if this is designed less to be "demos" and more to be "challenges", sort of like Wario Ware. Snippets of games with hidden trophy challenges, perhaps.
That would be cool.

But these seem to be just VC demos, I doubt they'll do anything special.

But it BETTER MEAN WE GET EARTHBOUND SOON. RIGHT NINTENDO?

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

Scribble

DavidDayton said:

That would be an extremely better spin on it.

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
Finally got to watching that Gametrailers video. I've thought for a long, long while that the retrospectives are by far the best part of GT, and that opinion hasn't changed. Although some of the Pokemon info wasn't accurate, I do appreciate that there's at least one game site out there capable of actually researching the history of gaming for the most part. (Compare to 1up--I think it was them--who thought Meta Knight didn't deserve to be in Brawl because they thought he was just a regular Kirby enemy. :|)
That was EGM, and Gametrailers seems to imply that Pokemon Trainer is Ash :(

NTom64

Iam Canadian said:
Awesome.

It looks like we get a snippet of what happens if Kirby saves Zelda from Petey Piranha; they fight an onslaught of those cloud enemies in the stadium.

That would happen BEFORE Petey appears. It's not really smart to fight when there's a bomb about to blow in mere seconds :lol

Speevy

Banned
I think this addition is brilliant, best one yet. though a pikmin demo might be pushing disc space limits. also, does wario appear in wario land or wario ware. I'd do land since they have the stage already.

Scribble

RagnarokX said:

I think they knew that they're separate entities, but I agree that compared him with PT too much that I can imagine people thinking that he IS Ash.

Jiggy

RagnarokX said:
Fixed, thanks.

And yeah, the Ash thing really bugs me, as well as that they didn't seem to notice that it's the Fire Red trainer design. Just seems odd to me when they're fairly spot on about everything else; there's no way I'd expect even an above-average game site to have known so much about King Dedede, to correctly pinpoint Meta Knight as a "not exactly evil" character, etc.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
There's no way I'd expect even an above-average game site to have known so much about King Dedede, to correctly pinpoint Meta Knight as a "not exactly evil" character, etc.

That's sad, really. Kirby is a classic franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom