• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

so the replays, the way I interpret it now, can view full game replays, but save only 3 minutes, or something like that? anyone care to speculate?

RagnarokX

civilstrife said:
Awesome update. So many possible thread titles :lol

Mm hmm... ...This is just nuts.

I’ve clearly gone overboard with Brawl.

Build stages like this one!...AND THIS ONE

Brawl: playing the way you want to play.
Geraldo picked the wrong vault.

And I think the as of Dec 2007 thing may just mean that all the data in it is as of 2007 so if anything in the Wii and DS sections changes in 2008 and beyond it won't confuse people

Burli

Pringo
So the "Swim 300ft" thing, is that part of what could be pseudo achievements? (Forgive me if it's obvious, I am tired) If so, hell yes!

pulga

Banned
Ouch, Jiggy and Canadian :lol :lol I've never had the, ahem, pleasure of experiencing Ice Climbers, but I'll take your words for it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Burli said:
So the "Swim 300ft" thing, is that part of what could be pseudo achievements? (Forgive me if it's obvious, I am tired) If so, hell yes!

Smash had achievements before achievements existed.

Well so did plenty of other games. Smash has a cooler pop up screen and noise though.

Insaniac

BTW, I just came to realize that Final Smashes CAN be performed more than once per battle now. I don't know if it was originally intended to be only once per battle, but that has definitely changed.

TJ Spyke

Man God said:
Ice Climbers is decent.

I wonder how long they'll let you play EB for. I do think it would be hilarious if they let you unlock more time for the masterpieces.

Congratulations! You can now play Earthbound for TEN minutes!

Assuming they even include it. They are supposed to be demos for VC games, and EarthBound has not been confirmed for the VC yet.

Insan, that was known before. Since most battles are 2 minutes long though, you are only gonna be able to them once (so a longer battle will of coarse give more chances to perforn FS's).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TJ Spyke said:
Assuming they even include it. They are supposed to be demos for VC games, and EarthBound has not been confirmed for the VC yet.

Quiet you. That arrow on the masterpiece section obviously points to another page. To think EB wouldn't be in this game is just silly.

various24_080128f-l.jpg

Is... that a badge from Paper Mario (64)? This game is awesome. :D

Who's the blue haired girl? Is she from Fire Emblem?

Sciz

If they let people play 40 minutes of Ice Climber per session, they'd never sell another copy of it on the VC ever again.

You can fill in your own reason for that.

edit: Also, I like how the Hyper Lollipop is apparently a special sticker. ;o

Insaniac

from Iwata asks:

Sakurai:
"If I get my hands on the Smash Ball, it’s comeback time!" "This attack’s gonna blow him away!" It’s great to see these thoughts race through players’ minds as they scramble toward the floating Smash Ball.

Sakurai can read minds CONFIRMED!

Jiggy

You could see all of regular Ice Climber with no problem (well, except the problem of the wonky controls D:) if you could play in 40-minute chunks, since the levels are openly available.

But someone could raise the counterargument that this is Brawl Masterpiece Ice Climber and they might have locked some of the levels and therefore it might still be 40 minutes. To that I'd say two things: 1) in the Masterpieces update itself, Sakurai said some trials would be so short you could only laugh at how hard the games were, and then followed it up with a picture of Ice Climber, and 2) if we accept that the "40" refers to minutes, then we'd have to accept that some games had a trial of over an hour (since enough digits are listed for that). But I think that's pretty highly unlikely..

Burli

Pringo
Man God said:
Smash had achievements before achievements existed.

Well so did plenty of other games. Smash has a cooler pop up screen and noise though.

My brain isn't working by the way, but do you mean melee? I can't really remember achievement type things in melee. Other than the ones you got for certain things happening in battle, but I wouldn't really consider them achievements because there was so many of them, and many were obtainable every battle.

But now that I think about it...

pulga

Banned
I've been thinking, has Sakurai mentioned that if you own one of the games on demo, can you access your VC copy directly from the Masterpiece section? Could be neat and totally uneccessary, but this IS Sakurai we're talking about.

Burli

Pringo
Jiggy37 said:
You could see all of regular Ice Climber with no problem (well, except the problem of the wonky controls D:) if you could play in 40-minute chunks, since the levels are openly available.

But someone could raise the counterargument that this is Brawl Masterpiece Ice Climber and they might have locked some of the levels and therefore it might still be 40 minutes. To that I'd say two things: 1) in the Masterpieces update itself, Sakurai said some trials would be so short you could only laugh at how hard the games were, and then followed it up with a picture of Ice Climber, and 2) if we accept that the "40" refers to minutes, then we'd have to accept that some games had a trial of over an hour (since enough digits are listed for that). But I think that's pretty highly unlikely..

I think in his update he made a point about the demos being extremely short (a funny point at that), so it'd be pretty suprising if they were anything but seconds long.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Burli said:
My brain isn't working by the way, but do you mean melee? I can't really remember achievement type things in melee. Other than the ones you got for certain things happening in battle, but I wouldn't really consider them achievements because there was so many of them, and many were obtainable every battle.

He means the special messages that would pop up everything something significant happened: you'd get an "achievement" for beating Classic Mode, unlocking something, beating Classic with every character, playing x number of Vs. matches and the like.

This update worries me. It looks like we outside Japan, aren't getting any old FE games (and consequently Earthbound) for masterpieces demos. That would have been the perfect motivator for Nintendo to get on the ball and start releasing more games like they did Sin and Punishment. Hopefully we will but this update suggest otherwise.

Sciz

I suspect that NoA's positon concerning Japan-only games is that if they ignore them long enough, the fanbases will eventually either wither away or do the work themselves, thus saving Nintendo the effort and risk.

TJ Spyke

Fire Emblem is a very text heavy game. None of the import games have had a lot of text. Nintendo may not consider it worth using up valuable time and money translating niche games (same reason I doubt we will get the NES and SNES Nintendo Wars games).

SexConker

Banned
Sciz said:
If they let people play 40 minutes of Ice Climber per session, they'd never sell another copy of it on the VC ever again.

You can fill in your own reason for that.

edit: Also, I like how the Hyper Lollipop is apparently a special sticker. ;o

Maybe it's not per session

pulga

Banned
Sciz said:
I suspect that NoA's positon concerning Japan-only games is that if they ignore them long enough, the fanbases will eventually either wither away or do the work themselves, thus saving Nintendo the effort and risk.

Fuck that shit, I've never played a Mother game, so Sakurai better deliver.

Iam Canadian

Earthbound is the only tricky case. On the one hand, it was released in North America. Normally, I wouldn't worry that Earthbound would be removed from the North American version of Smash except for the fact that it was removed from the English translation of the Masterpieces update.

If Starmen.Net is to believed (and I'm inclined to believe them), Earthbound will hit the VC eventually. Besides, when crap like NES Baseball is going up on the VC, I don't see why Earthbound wouldn't. Yes, the game failed financially when it was first released, but tossing it on the VC is free money for them. Still, it makes an ominous statement when Earthbound is present in the Japanese update but not the English one.

Burli

Pringo
Iam Canadian said:
He means the special messages that would pop up everything something significant happened: you'd get an "achievement" for beating Classic Mode, unlocking something, beating Classic with every character, playing x number of Vs. matches and the like.

Yeah I suppose, It'd be nice to see more emphasis on unlocking these 'achievements' in ways which are different from the norm' though. Say, things which you wouldn't normally think of doing. My favourite achievements on the 360 push you to play games in different ways, or explore areas you wouldn't think about usually.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Iam Canadian said:

Some of these achievements are absolutely insane too. I think there is one for playing the game for 5000 hours, and it says something along the lines of:

"Congratulations, you've now played SSB:M for 5000 hours, or one cent for every hour you played this game!"

Also the various bonuses you could get for doing stuff during a match. Get them all and you'll recieve a trophy that few have.

Iam Canadian

Man God said:
Also the various bonuses you could get for doing stuff during a match. Get them all and you'll recieve a trophy that few have.

Ugh, Diskun. No Damage Clear was a nightmare. And Hammer Throw? To this day, I have no idea how to do it.

Burli

Pringo
Man God said:

I personally think that was the most difficult thing to achieve in the game, pretty insane. Never did get that trophy.

You're reminding me about stuff I'd forgotten was in melee, you were right about the announcement being awesome, gave you an actual feeling of achievement.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Iam Canadian said:
Ugh, Diskun. No Damage Clear was a nightmare. And Hammer Throw? To this day, I have no idea how to do it.

There is a neat trick involving lava and tossing the hammer. That's how I did it. Though before my first save dissappeared I had it without looking online how to do it.

I can only no damage clear All Star mode. Most people do classic. Master Hand always gets me. ALWAYS. Donkey Kong is my preferred way and one time I got hit by exactly one attack as I went in for the kill. I almost snapped my controller in half.

All Star though I can do it with multiple characters.

Jiggy

Tonight's statistics post is in honor of dear temp-banned Firestorm and not in the least because I had already said multiple times that I would use this gimmick.

The Dojo enters its 211th update, its 175th day of updates, and its 36th week. Every time I publish this weekly statistic, I can't help thinking what a long run it's been... "Pretty good, right?"

"Here comes more of them!" Not only do we have 36 game modes (counting both official updates and stealth info), but we've had three of them consecutively. :eek: New record!

"Let's be more careful next time." 3 NeoGAF posters were banned in the Dojo thread tonight. (More Dojo posters than that were banned, actually, but not all of them in this thread--witness the KevinCow meltdown elsewhere.) "I don't think they CAN come back." The rest of us survived, although admittedly BlueSummers' Avatar of Hideous still lingers around for now as a reminder of his avatar sins. "I hope you learned your lesson."

Don't forget to check out the fifth installment of Iwata Asks, since it's up. [Edit: But post about it in the other thread.] Among other stuff like videos, there's some discussion about Nintendogs--"I like Poochie!" ...Yes, Colette Avatar, yes you do. But please let me finish my sentence. :( "I'm sorry." Daijobu, daijobu! Anyway, some of you who were hoping for a certain playable character should be warned that in this Iwata Asks you're going to find what appears to be a stealth deconfirmation of that character... (Of course, knowing Sakurai and the tricks he plays with words and pictures, it might also not mean a thing. :D) So brace for impact, if you go to look.

"Good job, everyone!" After the long, long wait, and all the development time poured into Brawl by our beloved developers, there are only two more days of updates remaining before the official widespread Japanese release. Can't you just feel the game right in your hands already? Go ahead, picture how soon you'll be playing and enjoying... Indulge your imagination. Revel.
"It's not working!" Oh, well, yeah, I guess the hype job for actually playing the game isn't quite as effective on us poor owners of non-Japanese Wiis who still have so far to go. :( But if you can forget playing for a moment, there are also the learning and watching components: at least we'll be flooded with videos and information soon enough! People are gonna tear into this game and we'll know every juicy piece of it very soon, as well as get loaded up on truly excellent gameplay footage. :D

Iam Canadian

Man God said:
I can only no damage clear All Star mode. Most people do classic. Master Hand always gets me. ALWAYS. Donkey Kong is my preferred way and one time I got hit by exactly one attack as I went in for the kill. I almost snapped my controller in half.

I was the same way. I'd cruise along fine until Master Hand, get him down to the finishing blow and...get clipped by one of his attacks.

I cheaped out in the end, though. All-Star mode, Very Easy, DK spamming his down-B. Did it first try (though I remember there being a few close calls in the Mr. Game and Watch battle).

Hey, Jiggy? Can I make a suggestion? How about the next stats post, you use quotes from Star Fox 64 as your gimmick? :D

I have been here since the beginning although I didnt start posting for awhile. My avatar reminds me to fear Sp0rsk for sure. But at least I will be here at the end. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Earlier in this very thread people proposed that Jiggly has some sort of replacing forumers with math robots agenda. I don't know how true that is but I can tell you that there might be some slight mind control added into this. Every few days I get this urge to play Tales of Symphonia, treat Collette right for the first time since my initial runthrough (I like her, but wanted to see some of the other stuff!) and once or twice almost switched out Hector for my vary own ultra Kawaii pic of Collete. Heck one day I even went out and found the most excellent ToS OVA!

Then I remember that Hector is awesome and that ToS is very long.

It's nice that they didn't hide something FE3 related this time (that's Sheeda's FE3 artwork). People will now look at that sticker and say, "Hmm" then when they play FE DS they will go "Oh!"

Iam Canadian

I agree with Jiggy so often that it must look like mind control to the outside observer.

But it's really not. Jiggy is just correct that often.

Jiggy

Alright, and here's everything else I'm thinking about, on a more personal level:

-I hope we get Fire Emblem in the English version even if it has to remain in Japanese. I for one would play it. That said, I'm definitely not expecting that to be the case since Nintendo would probably get all kinds of complaints from uninformed people wondering if something was wrong with their game, or whatever.

-The greatest "achievement" in Melee was for playing 100,000 matches, since the game told you to go outside. :lol There was actually one for playing 1,000,000 matches too, but the message wasn't nearly as funny... just "Never thought you'd see this!"

-I think I was able to get No Damage Clear with Jigglypuff and possibly Ganondorf in Classic, but for anyone else I had to use All-Star. With Yoshi I would have been able to beat Master Hand with no damage, incidentally; it's everyone else who was the problem. >_>

PunjabiPlaya said:
Wait, what did Firestorm get temp-banned for?
One of three posters discussing spoilers in this non-spoiler thread.

Iam Canadian said:
Hey, Jiggy? Can I make a suggestion? How about the next stats post, you use quotes from Star Fox 64 as your gimmick? :D
I don't know if I can do it by the next time around since there are loads of quotes to pull from, but I'll find a way to make this happen.

Man God said:
Earlier in this very thread people proposed that Jiggly has some sort of replacing forumers with math robots agenda.
I proposed that myself. :D

I don't know how true that is but I can tell you that there might be some slight mind control added into this.
Yes, the longer the thread goes, the more people fall under my influence. Notice how often Iam Canadian agrees with me [edit: I had not seen his post while I was writing this one >_>], and meanwhile people like KevinCow who disagree with me are currently banned. Coincidence? I think--uh, I think so, of course. I'm entirely innocent and harmless.

nli10

TJ Spyke said:
Yes, all of the trophies from Cubivore, Doshin the Giant, and Animal Crossing were labeled as "Future Release" (obviously it turned out to be BS with Doshin).

Or cubivore in Europe... But I imported that one :D

I missed the KevinCow meltdown. :O

But anyway, I'm really hoping a Fire Emblem demo makes it's way into U.S. Brawl. I wonder if additional translation and localization is the reason for the U.S. delay?

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, the longer the thread goes, the more people fall under my influence. Notice how often Iam Canadian agrees with me [edit: I had not seen his post while I was writing this one >_>], and meanwhile people like KevinCow who disagree with me are currently banned. Coincidence? I think--uh, I think so, of course. I'm entirely innocent and harmless.
Well, let's assume most of the regulars read every, or at least 90% of the posts in this thread. Given your high posting frequency, you've managed to saturate your opinions into our brains through posts. :D

Iam Canadian

You know, KevinCow's meltdown wasn't even the most vitriolic post I've seen around here. I've seen worse go unpunished, honestly.

Though I suppose with his history, his...um...passion for that particular subject was bound to get him in the end.

Edit: Since the discussion turned to post counts, I just realized that I passed Zeed a little while ago. Holy (Kevin) cow. I never thought that I'd ever catch up to Zeed.

Now, can I surpass the indomitable Jig-meister before this thread dies?

No, of course not.

Iam Canadian

vertopci said:
I have a feeling all the updates will be shit from now on.

No precedent for this. The updates have all been stellar for quite a while now. And with Brawl's Japanese release so close, I doubt that any momentum would be lost now.

pulga

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
You know, KevinCow's meltdown wasn't even the most vitriolic post I've seen around here. I've seen worse go unpunished, honestly.

Though I suppose with his history, his...um...passion for that particular subject was bound to get him in the end.

Edit: Since the discussion turned to post counts, I just realized that I passed Zeed a little while ago. Holy (Kevin) cow. I never thought that I'd ever catch up to Zeed.

Now, can I surpass the indomitable Jig-meister before this thread dies?

No, of course not.

Was he banned over the ¨tourneybitch¨ shit? Well, Firestorm did egg him on for no particular reason at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom