• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azuran said:
yoshi_080213f-l.jpg

Heh.
Oh Sakurai you! :lol

BigFwoosh said:
Though this isn't related to updates, I thought it was quite funny (sorry if it's already been posted).

Electric Playground's review of Smash 64

lol at Captain Falcon being from Star Fox

Electric Playground said:
Super Smash Bros. only vaguely resembles a fighter by today’s standards, it’s 2D. A 2D fighter on the N64. In 1999.

EP said:
This might very well be the pinnacle achievement for Nintendo. Convincing gamers that a fluffy-kiddie, cutesy-wutesy character called Jigglypuff (another conniption causing character from Pokemon) can kick butt with the best of ‘em by singing its opponents to sleep is no small feat. Still, it’s a feat that stinks.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow, I didn't realize a person could be that wrong about something.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
BigFwoosh said:
Though this isn't related to updates, I thought it was quite funny (sorry if it's already been posted).

Electric Playground's review of Smash 64

lol at Captain Falcon being from Star Fox
wow. is it possible to be that wrong about a game?

in his defense it appears he didn't play it with friends. The first time I rented it I hated it also. I didn't know I loved it till 2000 or so when I played again... with friends.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
That is quite possibly the most poorly written review I've ever seen. I'm not even joking. That's GameFAQs levels of bad.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Excuse me while I go and purposely avoid buying a 3D game. >_>

The sad thing is that the kind of anti-2D mentality expressed in that article was actually a fairly common thing in that generation.

I recently came across a whole bunch of old Nintendo Power magazines in my room. Leafing through some of them, I was stunned by the amount of letters in the letters section denouncing 2D as being primitive and that it should only appear on handhelds. I remember vehemently disagreeing with that even back then. It was the same situation on most of the message boards I remember seeing back in those days. 2D primitive, 3D the way of the future. It makes this 2D, handheld, and VC diehard very sad.

Iam Canadian said:
The sad thing is that the kind of anti-2D mentality expressed in that article was actually a fairly common thing in that generation.

I recently came across a whole bunch of old Nintendo Power magazines in my room. Leafing through some of them, I was stunned by the amount of letters in the letters section denouncing 2D as being primitive and that it should only appear on handhelds. I remember vehemently disagreeing with that even back then. It was the same situation on most of the message boards I remember seeing back in those days. 2D primitive, 3D the way of the future. It makes this 2D, handheld, and VC diehard very sad.

But look at how ugly Super Mario World is compared to some 1337 3D like Resident Evil 2.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I'm pretty sure I'll never get over the hate directed at Mischief Makers. ;_;

Mischief Makers was a tragedy. The fact that it kind of vanished due to some ownership conflict between Treasure and Enix didn't help either.

I remember Goemon's Great Adventure getting a lot of heat for being 2D as well. Yoshi's Story also got its share of hate. While I fully agree with hate for Yoshi's Story, the fact that people were hating it because it was 2D and not because the game just sucked was sad.

You know, one of these days, either you or I should make some kind of modern 2D appreciation thread. >_>

Jiggy

It always makes me sad when something proven and good is abandoned for something unproven which may or may not be good. (If they can coexist, fine, but rarely has this ever happened.) Not just 2D, but take the early life of DS, where Nintendo for some reason had it in mind that traditional controls now sucked and everything not named Mario 64 had to be touch-screen only. On Wii, it's not Nintendo that's forcing motion control into everything, but the third-parties often are. :/

Things like this are why I'm glad Smash is around as a blockbuster franchise that still showcases 2D gameplay (on a home console, even) and traditional controls (on Wii, even). Did it have to pull in characters from multiple beloved franchises to be able to do this? Well, yeah, probably. But I appreciate what it's doing nonetheless. Same kind of deal as Pokemon or Dragon Quest, where they're basically the last things stopping turn-based RPGs being killed off for good.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
It always makes me sad when something proven and good is abandoned for something unproven which may or may not be good. (If they can coexist, fine, but rarely has this ever happened.) Not just 2D, but take the early life of DS, where Nintendo for some reason had it in mind that traditional controls now sucked and everything not named Mario 64 had to be touch-screen only. On Wii, it's not Nintendo that's forcing motion control into everything, but the third-parties often are. :/

Things like this are why I'm glad Smash is around as a blockbuster franchise that still showcases 2D gameplay (on a home console, even) and traditional controls (on Wii, even). Did it have to pull in characters from multiple beloved franchises to be able to do this? Well, yeah, probably. But I appreciate what it's doing nonetheless. Same kind of deal as Pokemon or Dragon Quest, where they're basically the last things stopping turn-based RPGs being killed off for good.

What can I say? I agree with every single word of this post.

Though I'd add Mistwalker's games to the list of things keeping the turn-based RPG alive. Even if it is just a (futile) attempt to get Japanese audiences to buy a 360.

Jiggy

People actually buy Pokemon and Dragon Quest, though. >_> I mean, for 2D there's stuff like Drawn to Life floating around, but that's not on par with something like NSMB, Kirby Squeak Squad, or Yoshi's Island DS for proving that people haven't magically started hating sidescrolling since 1996.

But some people have, and that's the problem. The them, 2D represents old fashioned view points and childishness, while 3D allows for growth of the form and matureness. It's silly really, but there are people out there who will still never by a 2D game because it is not techniclly impressive.

Iam Canadian

That's quite true.

And it's the reason that 2D is relegated to handhelds, DLC, and the odd Vanillaware game that nobody buys.

I did my part by buying NSMB, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Yoshi's Island DS.

scottnak

Good discussion about indeed...

Iam Canadian said:
That's quite true.

And it's the reason that 2D is relegated to handhelds, DLC, and the odd Vanillaware game that nobody buys.

I did my part by buying NSMB, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Yoshi's Island DS.
I made sure my brother bought those 3 when he got his DS. *nod*

I've bought many a game where my initial thought was "I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy this one," but rationalized that I have to send a message that someone enjoys the genre.

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:
Marina for SSB4
What, are you saying she's not in Brawl? Spoilers, get out! :eek: :eek: :eek:

crowphoenix said:
I've bought many a game where my initial thought was "I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy this one," but rationalized that I have to send a message that someone enjoys the genre.
Same. >_>

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:

Yeah, I've done the exact same thing.

It's why I bought Odin Sphere. Even if that was kind of a futile gesture. >_>

Jiggy

Thoughts prior to clicking: if it's bad, it's real; if it's good, it's fake.
Thoughts after clicking: it's real. Depressingly, obnoxiously real. ;_;

Edit: Why are they all using the remote and nunchuk. Why does the first guy have such a forced look of awe. Why are there no girls playing. Why are there so many people in suits.

Iam Canadian

Okay, so the actors were lame, but at least they showed a decent amount of gameplay.

I like how the characters in the gameplay are all the most marketable ones, though. Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus...I don't see any of the more obscure ones.

Wait, I don't like that.

Jiggy

All they had to do was take the Japanese ads and overlay English text; the only one that wouldn't have worked without a bit of modification was Mario-->Wario-->Mario-->Olimar.

Or just copy the N64 ad, but replace Yoshi with Link and then toss in Sonic and Snake. That would work too.

:(

Imagine me and you, and you and me. No matter how they toss the dice, we'll always be, so happy together!

That was the only commercial that ever sold a game to me.

Jiggy37 said:
All they had to do was take the Japanese ads and overlay English text; the only one that wouldn't have worked without a bit of modification was Mario-->Wario-->Mario-->Olimar.

Or just copy the N64 ad, but replace Yoshi with Link and then toss in Sonic and Snake. That would work too.

:(
Japanese ads are known for overacting and major weirdness.

So no.

EktorPR

Firestorm said:
Maybe it's just an Amazon thing? Aren't commercials usually 30 seconds?

Exactly. It's a made-for-amazon video. The official ad will probably be linked to the "Wii would like to play" campaign.

Jiggy

Calints Neos said:
Japanese ads are known for overacting and major weirdness.
A large majority of the Brawl ads didn't even have people in them and they certainly weren't weird. Have you seen the commercials?

Jiggy

I think I predicted Luigi last time I called a character. Hence, in the interest of shifting around, tonight I predict Jigglypuff or Captain Falcon, along with that character's special moves.

Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournaments Storm the Country

Nintendo and Best Buy Team Up to Crown a National Champion

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Attention all Smash fans: Put up
your dukes! Just before the launch of the much-anticipated Super Smash
Bros.(R) Brawl, Mario(TM) and friends are hosting four regional Wii(TM)
tournaments. The competitions will visit Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston
and finally New York for a Midnight Madness Launch event at the Best Buy store
at 622 Broadway in New York. All of the 256 participants at each location will
receive a $10 Best Buy gift card. One lucky grand prize winner will receive a
custom-designed, crystal-covered Wii, a home theater system from Best Buy and
other prizes.

"Super Smash Bros. is one of the world's most popular game franchises
because it draws in characters from across the Nintendo universe and beyond
for some all-out fighting fun," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's
executive vice president of sales & marketing. "Super Smash Bros. Brawl has
extreme appeal among our core audience, but these tournaments are a great way
to get new fans involved as well -- before the game is even available in
stores."
Each regional tournament will provide the first 256 people in attendance
the chance to "brawl" one-on-one with other contestants in a
single-elimination tournament to determine a winner in each market. Regional
winners will face off in a final multiplayer "brawl" at the New York City
tournament.
The grand prize winner will receive a crystal-coated Wii with a design
from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a home theater system from Best Buy and a copy
of the game. The second-place finisher will receive one Wii system and Wii
Remote, one copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and a $1,000 Best Buy gift card.
The third-place finisher will receive a Wii and Wii Remote, a copy of the game
and a $500 Best Buy gift card. The fourth-place finisher will receive a Wii,
an extra Wii Remote, a copy of the game and a $250 Best Buy gift card. For
more information about the tournaments, visit Nintendo.com.

The tournaments will take place at the following times and locations:

Feb. 16
Doors open at 3 p.m.
Orpheum Theater
842 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90014

Feb. 23
Doors open at 2 p.m.
Ten15 Folsom
1015 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

March 1
Doors open at 3 p.m.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Olden Hall
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609

March 8
Doors open at 5 p.m.
Best Buy (NOHO)
622 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

Press release.

Yoshi's special moves page is wrong on many levels, but also so hilarious.

Slurrrp!

Pop!

Off into the abyss!

The poses in the pictures make it all the more hilarious.

Also, I got a chuckle out of, "It's this big!"

Iam Canadian

That Tails model is better than any of the Tails models in the 3D Sonic games. (Maybe except for Sonic 360, but we do not speak of that game.)

I'm not even joking.

Firestorm

Chris Michael said:
He is an AT. I'm pretty sure...

He's not. Some idiots said they heard someone use him at E for All but nobody was ever able to come up with proof despite me repeatedly asking.

Iam Canadian said:
That Tails model is better than any of the Tails models in the 3D Sonic games. (Maybe except for Sonic 360, but we do not speak of that game.)

I'm not even joking.

This is true :(

Jiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom