• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

scottnak said:
Hm. I see. So as long as it's a 4-way battle time/stock isn't too much of an issue... but when it's H2H stock is the way to go?
Well, that's what I usually see, at least. It's hard to successfully avoid two or three other players in a free-for-all even when they're not necessarily coming after you, and if it's four-player teams then you still have to avoid two players who definitely are focused on you.

Iam Canadian said:
It should be a Stock game with a time limit, though, not a pure Time game.
I wouldn't even go for that. It's more or less the same thing as time. Build up a stock lead, then hide.

HK-47 said:
Well you better hope Temple isnt in the rotation if you dont want stalling
Yeah, Hyrule Temple has to go no matter what, unless it's stock with no time limit.
Or Coin matches.

Iam Canadian said:
I suppose that the honour system is one way to go about it.

After all, Big Brother the Smash community will be watching lame stallers.

It should be a Stock game with a time limit, though, not a pure Time game.
Oh no, stock defiantly. I just like the idea of GAF reviewing some epic bouts in the future.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
So basically our options are have a time limit, get replays, and hope that people don't stall (and shun them if they do), or have no time limit and have no replays.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
So basically our options are have a time limit, get replays, and hope that people don't stall (and shun them if they do), or have no time limit and have no replays.

Or threaten to firebomb their houses

Jiggy37 said:
But how do you figure out where to draw the line between stalling and mindgames? Is ten seconds of avoiding the enemy too much? What about thirty? What's the difference?
We'll appoint some impartial judges, or have the community review the match if someone cries foul. It should be easy to tell if someone is feinting or position vs. someone getting a 1 stock advantage and simply avoiding the opponent for the rest of the match.

I'll go ahead and admit that I tend to play a distance game, especially with items on. It's not so much about building a lead for me as it is playing keep away until I have a good reason to strike. This also comes from me not being skilled with the high end techniques.

So, I suppose a set rule as to that would benifit me, as I'd prefer not to be snubbed. In stock matches I imagine it won't be a problem.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Keru_Shiri said:
We'll appoint some impartial judges, or have the community review the match if someone cries foul. It should be easy to tell if someone is feinting or position vs. someone getting a 1 stock advantage and simply avoiding the opponent for the rest of the match.

You make it sound so easy

Keru_Shiri said:
Well then I guess we'll just have to firebomb some houses then.

That would lead to biasness against some people and might lead to conflict. Say, a person is not liked, they could be flagged for stalling when they are really just using a mind game. I'd say the safest this is a low stock game for 1v1 and a mid range time period for 4 player matches.

Edit: or we can do the fire bombing. Just don't hit my animals.

Or we could just do stock I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky and the matches will pan out to under three minutes anyway. *shakes fist at time limit*

Jiggy

I play fairly defensively, with quite a bit of rolling, fake approaches, and waiting for the opponent to come to me because that's the easiest attack pattern to read. And in Melee I played a keepaway game with Pikachu and Dr. Mario. But I don't think these things are necessarily stalling.

Clearly the only solution is to do three sets of two-stock matches instead of a single five-stock match. >_> Clearly! :D

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Clearly the only solution is to do three sets of two-stock matches instead of a single five-stock match. >_> Clearly! :D

Your solutions are flawed and I scoff at you.

Thirty second 1 stock matches are the only reasonable solution.

scottnak

Well. I guess all it'll take is some good hard testing to see how things float well with the masses then eh... If only the recording wasn't so restrictive :'(

Jiggy

The recording won't be as restrictive in Super Smash Bros. Brawl Special Edition, coming November 2009, now with new alternate costumes, trophies, music, saved screenshots viewable on a computer, and ten-minute replay recording, believe believe believe.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
The recording won't be as restrictive in Super Smash Bros. Brawl Special Edition, coming November 2009, now with new alternate costumes, trophies, music, and ten-minute recording, believe believe believe.

I'd buy it.

But I'm a sucker that way.

Jiggy

Yeah, I'd buy it. And then when they released Super Smash Bros. Brawl Special Edition Ultra Deluxe with even more alternate costumes, trophies, and music in April 2011, I'd buy that too.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I'd buy it. And then when they released Super Smash Bros. Brawl Special Edition Ultra Deluxe with even more alternate costumes, trophies, and music in April 2011, I'd buy that too.

Of course. I would too.

But I'm not sure if these are ideas we should be giving Nintendo. >_>

Jiggy

Whatever it takes to get my Marin Zelda and Zelda 1 Zelda and LttP Zelda. (Assuming Marin's not in already, but let's face it, she won't be, and I will be sad. ;_; Marin > Zelda + Link combined.)

Along with Justin Bailey ZSS, Chozo training ZSS, Fusion ending ZSS, Zero Mission ending ZSS, and green hair and brown hair swaps for any of the above. And LG girl Pokemon Trainer, and Pearl girl Pokemon Trainer, and Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua Pokemon Trainer--well, assuming those aren't in as their own separate characters, but I can't imagine they'd have developed six new movesets for the Pokemon franchise just for the sake of that.

Plus true Fusion suit Samus, Sunshine Mario, shadow Mario, black-and-white Pokemon Trainer, Sunshine Peach, sports Peach, farmhand Link, Ocarina Link, female tail Pikachu, Malon Zelda, Oracle Nayru Zelda, Strikers armor Bowser, Boshi Yoshi, Shadow Queen Peach, Ocarina Sheik, and sports Daisy Peach. (Unless Daisy herself is in, which I'd love her to be, but like I've been saying for a while, that looks less and less likely with every major face that gets consigned to assist trophy status--plus Peach has her colors already.)

Edit: I'm so sad that Wario's the only one with a true alternate costume. :(
Edit 2: For the record, I legitimately don't know what all the assist trophies in the game are, so maybe there could be a Malon or Boshi or something that got represented that way. I wouldn't know.

Jiggy

Nah, they're saving Lyn, Samurai Goroh, Little Mac, Saki, Waluigi, and Stafy for the emergency scenario where Sakurai never comes back for Smash Bros. 4 and yet they need it to exist.

Edit: Plus Jill, Jeff, and Kat and Ana.

Iam Canadian

Sadly enough, I'd pay for a special edition that had all of that.

I'd take all of that plus Team Galactic/Rocket/Magma/Aqua Pokemon Trainer (assuming he's not already in), female Pokemon Trainer (ditto), Dry Bowser, Light Suit Samus, Dark Samus as a Samus alternate costume, pajamas Ness, Super Metroid ending ZSS...

...I'm starting to sound like Link to the Snitch here.

Jiggy

Spoiler yo, get it out. :p

Edit: Come to think of it, I should phrase differently myself, lest people think I'm confirming that Malon, Marin, and oracle Nayru are not playable.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Spoiler yo, get it out. :p

Edit: Come to think of it, I should phrase differently myself, lest people think I'm confirming that Malon, Marin, and oracle Nayru are not playable.

I've got to watch what I say more closely. >_>

I should rephrase my own post.

Well, thankfully, you're the only one that posted since my post, so we can revise history.

Way to take my Team Galactic/Rocket/Aqua/Magma Trainer alternate idea, Jigs. :p

Jiggy

Luckily for me, probably nobody believes Marin and Malon will be playable, so when I imply that they aren't, won't the non-spoiler Dojo people be surprised to find out that they are.

Edit: Sparky Pikachu must happen. :eek:
Also, I didn't have Team Galactic in my earlier post, just Rocket/Magma/Aqua. I hate the Galactic designs. >_>

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Luckily for me, probably nobody believes Marin and Malon will be playable, so when I imply that they aren't, won't the non-spoiler Dojo people be surprised to find out that they are.

Edit: Sparky Pikachu must happen. :eek:
Also, I didn't have Team Galactic in my earlier post, just Rocket/Magma/Aqua. I hate the Galactic designs. >_>
Hm. Is this reverse psychology. So they ARE PLAYABLE?? Meh. I don't even know if that makes logical sense.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
you know what, either once captain falcon is announced or the first of march, i'm going to switch my avi to one of my captain falcon ones. which do you think i should use?

CaptainayustanceA.gif
or
CaptainayustanceB.gif

hint: note the hair.

Fenix

Yay, I now have someone else that will (hopefully) be Falcon-izing their avatar.

On that note, I say the second one for sure.

hellclerk

Jiggy37 said:
Ayu isn't Ayu without hair. ;_;
this is true, but this is Captain Ayu, and she has her AYU PAUNCH! would it be better if the hair sprouted out from under the helmet or if she kept it tucked out of her way. quite the conundrum.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is the only way to KO in this stage to hit through the top? Or can you still get knocked off edge (I'm hoping for a edge warp to other side like in the real Mario game :) )

Jiggy

uguu~ PUNCH! :D

I like the hair coming out, but they both have their charm. The one without the hair could be end-of-series Ayu with her messed-up haircut. >_>

Without knowing anything about that series, I opine that without hair is better. It's disconcerting seeing a tuft of hair poking out for no reason. Did her helmet get FALCOUN PAUWNCH'ed and suffered damage, cracking under duress and exposing a tuft of hair?

<3

hellclerk

Jiggy37 said:
uguu~ PUNCH! :D

I like the hair coming out, but they both have their charm. The one without the hair could be end-of-series Ayu with her messed-up haircut. >_>
well, i hold your vote above others in this area jiggy, so right now it's a 2:2 tie. let's see who says it next.

i may go on a quest to find that Uguu~ PAUNCH gif from the same game this is from...

doomed1 said:
well, i hold your vote above others in this area jiggy, so right now it's a 2:2 tie. let's see who says it next.

i may go on a quest to find that Uguu~ PAUNCH gif from the same game this is from...

I'd also go with the one without the tuft, though cool, as it stands it would look like you did a poor job, unless you could make it obvious as to why the hair was bouncing out of the helmet.

Jiggy

They need to port Kanon (all-ages version, obviously) to DS or Wii, then put Ayu in Super Smash Bros. World. (It'll be named SSBW because they'll have run out of big name first-party characters and need to bring in loads of third-parties.) Alternatively, they could just put in create-a-character so I could make Ayu myself and main her. It's not like her clothes are that complicated, so I'm sure she'd be easy to create even if it was a pretty barebones feature. :D

Anyway, yeah, predicting that tonight is The Night of the Greater Mario Brother.

hellclerk

Jiggy37 said:
They need to port Kanon (all-ages version, obviously) to DS or Wii, then put Ayu in Super Smash Bros. World. (It'll be named SSBW because they'll have run out of big name first-party characters and need to bring in loads of third-parties.) Alternatively, they could just put in create-a-character so I could make Ayu myself and main her. It's not like her clothes are that complicated, so I'm sure she'd be easy to create even if it was a pretty barebones feature. :D

Anyway, yeah, predicting that tonight is The Night of the Greater Mario Brother.
i wouldn't accept anything less than a total moveset that involved tyaki, her tendancy to barrel into people, and a jump move involving wings.

keeping to my promise though, if the knee makes it tonite, then Ayu is being promoted to Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom