• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jiggy37 said:
Random note: NA would have had Brawl yesterday if not for the second delay. And if not for the first delay, NA would have had Brawl for two months and one week as of yesterday. Enjoy! :D

This hurts...

Jiggy

yeah see someone pointed it out to me tonight and it made me cry and they say misery loves company so I thought hey let's test that hypothesis and I tested the hypothesis but I'm not sure it's proving much because I don't seem any happier really even though everyone else has become sad as well

:(

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
yeah see someone pointed it out to me tonight and it made me cry and they say misery loves company so I thought hey let's test that hypothesis and I tested the hypothesis but I'm not sure it's proving much because I don't seem any happier really even though everyone else has become sad as well

:(
Well. If everyone is sad, then there must be a least sad person around, which would make 'em happy out of everyone. And since you've been more conditioned to this heartbreaking news, therefore you are?

Too much stretching at logic?

I...I can post? I never thought this day would come.

Ah...ahem. My apologies. It's just I registered around April of '07, and somehow my account was overlooked during the past two "newbie flood" periods. So you see, I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and the lord knows there have been many times where I've wanted to geek out over an update and was left wanting. So, yeah. Hi.

Let's see...hooray for Marth being officially confirmed and still bad-ass. Tonight's update was nice, I suppose, but most of them are either returning techniques, or relatively pointless (but cool nonetheless). The only really new tech is the reverse grab, which is a nifty little technique, though sometimes somewhat difficult to pull off.

Postscript: For future reference, I'm one of those people that laments the loss of wavedashing, but I'll deal.

sp0rsk said:
I just tried the pivot grab, it's pretty cool.

I wonder how it works with people like link.
in melee you could jump-grab to get the same effect. Does this still work?

The idea is that in melee characters had 2 different grabs, their standing grab and their running grab (which had shorter reach). But if you ran at someone and tapped jump an instant before you pressed grab, it would do the standing grab instead. This seems to be the same idea

Suburban Cowboy said:

The idea is that in melee characters had 2 different grabs, their standing grab and their running grab (which had shorter reach). But if you ran at someone and tapped jump an instant before you pressed grab, it would do the standing grab instead. This seems to be the same idea

Nope, that is out. Anything useful involving getting where you want is out. Directional airdodging, out. Dash cancelling, out. Fast falling, barely noticeable. Short hop, still too damn high. Also, it seems air-dodging and ground dodging have like half a second of start up time now. It's kind of obnoxious.

And tripping is as frustrating as you might imagine. =(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, at least I didn't miss Jiggy's Shakespearian stats. :D

Anyway, this was a pretty interesting update. It's nice to see all of these techniques get official names. Especially Ukemi, which is a name that is approximately 95.7% better than "teching".

Also, am I the only one who found the picture of Donkey Kong struggling to stay afloat absolutely hilarious?

Firestorm

Suburban Cowboy said:

Nope. Crouching does not cancel a dash either.

Jiggy

RocketDarkness said:
I...I can post? I never thought this day would come.

Ah...ahem. My apologies. It's just I registered around April of '07, and somehow my account was overlooked during the past two "newbie flood" periods. So you see, I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and the lord knows there have been many times where I've wanted to geek out over an update and was left wanting. So, yeah. Hi.
The best part is how you only have 3 posts but you're a member due to this wait. >_>

Iam Canadian

I'm kind of expecting the tripping update tonight.

Because I'm sure by now there are many Japanese players wondering why the heck their character occasionally falls flat on his/her face for no adequately explained reason.

Jiggy

Clearly tripping is Sakurai's devious plan to power up Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede; the first two will be spending so much time in the air that they've got no time to trip, while King Dedede has huge range with his hammer and doesn't need to be running around as much.

Clearly!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
Clearly tripping is Sakurai's devious plan to power up Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede; the first two will be spending so much time in the air that they've got no time to trip, while King Dedede has huge range with his hammer and doesn't need to be running around as much.

Clearly!
You dont even have to run for it to happen

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
Well, by "running around" I also was including walking... >_>

Yuna on SmashBoards has said he's tripped in the air 3 times. Although I think it was while floating as Peach each time. This tripping this is seriously just a stupid addition to the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
Well, by "running around" I also was including walking... >_>

You dont even have to be walking. Can happen the second the game starts or if you are doing a stationary forward smash

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
Yuna on SmashBoards has said he's tripped in the air 3 times. Although I think it was while floating as Peach each time. This tripping this is seriously just a stupid addition to the game.

And yet no one else has had that happen to them. I think he's full of shit

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
One other says he thinks he's seen it in a video and is looking for it.

People have been playing it for days and it never came up yet tripping is something everyone has experienced. I doubt its real

scottnak

Firestorm said:
In the air?? That's quite odd.
Does this happen often to you guys who have the game?

Leezard

Firestorm said:
One other says he thinks he's seen it in a video and is looking for it.

It was Yuna wasn't it? I wouldn't take what he says seriously unless we actually get a couple of videos of it.

Jiggy37 said:
The best part is how you only have 3 posts but you're a member due to this wait. >_>

Heheh, yeah. I noticed that. It surprised me as well.

HK-47 said:
You dont even have to be walking. Can happen the second the game starts or if you are doing a stationary forward smash
From my experience, it can happen any time you press the analog stick left or right on the ground, which means any attempt at movement, smash attacks, tilts, or even Smash-B attacks. Fox made a fool of himself when he tried to do an Illusion but instead fell flat on his face.

So far I haven't seen it happen in the air, but then again, I've also never really done much floating/gliding yet. It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

Jiggy

Don't get ousted too fast after being approved. You just mentioned a spoiler character (edit: even if a veteran) who hasn't been revealed yet... >_>

Iam Canadian

Maybe the tripping was just thrown in to spite Sonic but ended up getting applied to everyone else.

And I'm trying to figure out how one trips in the air...I've got nothing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
Maybe the tripping was just thrown in to spite Sonic but ended up getting applied to everyone else.

And I'm trying to figure out how one trips in the air...I've got nothing.

Air bananas, hung in the air and cloaked by Diddy Kong

Random tripping in Brawl? That sounds awesome and reminds me of Animal Crossing after you get your bad luck fortune. :lol

Random tripping should be included in every fighting game IMO! :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
technique10_080211i-l.jpg

What stage is this?

scottnak said:
In the air?? That's quite odd.
Does this happen often to you guys who have the game?
I don't know, for me, I had several matches were I never tripped once. But every-once in awhile, it just sort of happens. It's not terribly difficult to recover from.

Anyone avoiding character spoilers, stay away from the IGN Wii main page tonight. They have the names of three hidden characters right out in the open for all to see with no warning. Fortunately I'm only avoiding late SSE spoilers myself, but I completely sympathize with those people on the IGN Boards who are just being put down by Matt for complaining.

On topic, predicting an F-Zero-related update tonight.

scottnak

Keru_Shiri said:
I don't know, for me, I had several matches were I never tripped once. But every-once in awhile, it just sort of happens. It's not terribly difficult to recover from.
Well, if it's that sparse, there's probably a reasonable reason for it happening. People are making out like its a game breakin' deal or something...

*shrug*

Today, I want some music!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey Jiggy I just got the second melody in Earthbound. Should I keep the Franklin Badge on Paula and is 26 Ness/18 Paula a good level to be at?

Jiggy

Well, if you managed to beat the boss like that you're probably in good shape. >_> But it's been too long since I got that far in Earthbound to remember specific details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom