• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottnak

Zeed said:
I do believe someone in the vicinity called my name.

What's going on? I've been too busy arguing politics in the OT to keep up.

Whoa, Iam Canadian passed me in posts! Good job, that puts me at #3. :lol
Going back in time, reading old posts! You were quite the active guy back then (not that I didn't know that before :p) Good to see you're on the right side on the OT though. :D

Great update! Love to see all these named moves come out :p

duffey

Wait was this Perfect Shield in Melee? I can't remember for the life of me. If not, that reminds me of parrying from SF3 and that = awesome.

There are quite a few techniques that didn’t make their way into the instruction manual.

I’ll try not to get too technical with things, but just know that there are lots of small tricks like these for you to play around with.

<Ukemi>

When a blow sends you flying, tap the shield button just before you come into contact with the ground, wall, or ceiling. You’ll bound off the surface with a little hop and, like a judo master, cancel any excess momentum that would have otherwise kept you careening around wildly.

technique10_080211a-l.jpg

Press with just the right timing.

Since midair move-based recoveries have become more fluid, I believe some will find this technique to be slightly less important than it was in the previous game.

<Perfect Shield>

The enemy closes in to attack. You draw him or her closer, then closer still, and just before the blow connects...

Clang! You just performed a perfect shield! You’ll recover from the blow you just blocked with almost no delay and are in a perfect position to launch a counterattack!

technique10_080211b-l.jpg

If you do a perfect shield on a big hit, get ready to strike back!

<Stale-Move Negation>

Use a particular move too many times and the damage it deals will begin to decrease!

And so it should. Let’s face it, it takes more skill to use a character’s full move set than to rely on the same attack over and over.

Moves will decrease in attack power when used repeatedly and get progressively weaker with additional usage, so try and weave a wide variety of attacks into your offense.

Also, if you feel like your attacks just aren’t launching the opponent as far as they should... Once again, I suggest you try mixing a few other moves into your offense.

technique10_080211c-l.jpg

Hey, don’t you think it’s time you, y’know, tried some other moves?

<Glancing Blows>

This isn’t really a technique so much as it is a little tidbit of Smash info.

When your attack just grazes the opponent you’ll hear a little "chik," meaning you’ve just barely grazed the opponent.

technique10_080211d-l.jpg

A glancing blow just nicks the opponent so don’t expect your enemy to flinch.

<Swim>

In Brawl you can actually swim a little bit when you’re in water. You’ll soon drown though, and the more damage you’ve accumulated, the less time you’ll be able to stay afloat.

technique10_080211e-l.jpg

We’re... We’re going under!

<Small Jump>

This technique is absolutely vital in a scuffle.

Every character has a momentary animation before they jump where they sort of hunker down. If you let off the jump button before this animation ends you’ll perform a small jump.

technique10_080211f-l.jpg

Here’s a comparison with a standard jump.

Try using small jumps to close in and score hits on your opponents while dodging their attacks.

technique10_080211g-l.jpg

Just take a little leap.

<Pivot Grab>

While dashing, press the direction opposite your current heading while performing a grab. You’ll get more range out of this kind of grab, so try pulling a 180 and scooping up your unsuspecting opponent with it.

technique10_080211h-l.jpg

You can grab from this far away!

<Eating While Reclining>

Let’s say you’ve just taken a solid hit. You go flying and collapse on the ground.

You notice a few tasty food items on the ground near you.

If this describes your situation, now’s the time to hit the A Button. You can scoop up food items and eat them without even standing up.

technique10_080211i-l.jpg

Mmm... Tasty!

<Breaking Reflectors>

&#12539;Mario’s Cape
&#12539;Fox’s Reflector
&#12539;Pit’s Angel Ring and Mirror Shield
&#12539;Zelda’s Naryu’s Love

...And so on. All these moves have the ability to reflect incoming projectiles back at your opponent. When you use one of these to send back an attack, it actually increases the damage that projectile does.

But if you and your opponent pump up a projectile’s damage too high, say by reflecting it back and forth...the projectile will become too powerful and break through your reflecting device.

technique10_080211j-l.jpg

You’ll take a heavily powered-up shot straight to the body, so you know it’s going to hurt.

Firestorm

Amazing update. Ukemi is the official term for teching and small jump for short hop. Interesting. Although less syllables will likely win >_>;

The pivot grab is an interesting discovery someone discovered a few days ago. Same with the stale move negation.

I think perfect shield was the same as it was in Melee (powershielding?) not sure. I never got the timing right XD

Firestorm said:
I think perfect shield was the same as it was in Melee (powershielding?) not sure. I never got the timing right XD
Seriously. I hope they made powershielding easier. It always seemed unfair in Melee that the computers could do it, but no human alive could. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
So is the Ukemi basically the move in VJ where you tap a button at the right time to rebound off the ground after a fall and take less damage?

traveler said:
So is the Ukemi basically the move in VJ where you tap a button at the right time to rebound off the ground after a fall and take less damage?
Yes you rebound off the ground, but I don't think it has any impact on the damage you received. It existed in melee, and was known unofficially as "teching."

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not technical enough? Where are the haters now? Sakurai redeemed?

To me this is an awesome update!!!!! :D

traveler

Not Wario
Keru_Shiri said:
Yes you rebound off the ground, but I don't think it has any impact on the damage you received. It existed in melee, and was known unofficially as "teching."

Wow, I never even knew that during all the years I played melee. :lol

Firestorm

MThanded said:
Not technical enough? Where are the haters now? Sakurai redeemed?

All of these have been known for the few days to a week. Actually more than this ;) This is a good argument against the "lol game as intended" people though. Pivot grabbing is what some people thought was "ink dropping" but then it was discovered that tripping is entirely random and has nothing to do with it.

I tried to pull it off at school but didn't succeed much. I got it right a bit earlier today on a 1v1 though. The thing is, it's a gamble. You dash past the guy, turn around, and grab. If he hits you as you dash before him or shield grabs, you're screwed. It's more for if you know he's going to spot dodge.

I'm still sort of amazed at the name "Ukemi" though! I wonder if people will switch to this term or just stick with teching seeing as it's been 9 years of that name.

Firestorm

traveler said:
Wow, I never even knew that during all the years I played melee. :lol

Also in 64 ;) It's one of the few things I learned on my own. As a kid I found that if I hit Z I got up faster. Just kept doing it! Was surprised to learn it was an advanced technique that was "hard" to do for some. Then I tried l-cancelling and I swear it messed up my timing :( I'm worse at teching now than I was as a 10 year old.

MThanded

Firestorm said:
All of these have been known for the few days to a week. Actually more than this ;) This is a good argument against the "lol game as intended" people though. Pivot grabbing is what some people thought was "ink dropping" but then it was discovered that tripping is entirely random and has nothing to do with it.

I tried to pull it off at school but didn't succeed much. I got it right a bit earlier today on a 1v1 though. The thing is, it's a gamble. You dash past the guy, turn around, and grab. If he hits you as you dash before him or shield grabs, you're screwed. It's more for if you know he's going to spot dodge.

I'm still sort of amazed at the name "Ukemi" though! I wonder if people will switch to this term or just stick with teching seeing as it's been 9 years of that name.

I did not know small jump and the reflector breaking was known or the pivot throw. Guess im out of the loop.

technique10_080211i.jpg

Also eating while you recline is the ultimate technical mindgame... :lol

Firestorm

MThanded said:
I did not know small jump and the reflector breaking was known or the pivot throw. Guess im out of the loop.

Small Jump = Short Hop. Same as it's been since SSB 64. Or I guess ever since Super Mario Bros or whatever the first platformer to do it was >_>

Pivot Grab = a few days ago. Technically E for All, but they didn't know how to do it.

Reflector Breaking = new actually! I don't think it'll see use unless people start using it to reflect stuff. Even then there needs to be multiple reflects.

By the way, awesome discovery I made today: Reflector from Fox completely blocks Spicy Curry. They cannot touch you. Since it reflects and they automatically breathe fire with the item, they're screwed XD I just sat there reflecting the entire time while my friend couldn't do anything to hit me.

Firestorm said:
Reflector Breaking = new actually! I don't think it'll see use unless people start using it to reflect stuff. Even then there needs to be multiple reflects.
Actually that was in Melee and might have been in 64(can't quite remember). Get 2 Foxes, throw a shell, both reflect, and watch.

Firestorm

Keru_Shiri said:
Seriously. I hope they made powershielding easier. It always seemed unfair in Melee that the computers could do it, but no human alive could. :lol

My friend could actually do it semi-consistently. It boggled our minds. Another friend of mine said he's been trying it in Brawl and that it seems easier to do. He's pulled it off much more than he did in Melee.

MThanded

Firestorm said:
Small Jump = Short Hop. Same as it's been since SSB 64. Or I guess ever since Super Mario Bros or whatever the first platformer to do it was >_>

Pivot Grab = a few days ago. Technically E for All, but they didn't know how to do it.

By the way, awesome discovery I made today: Reflector from Fox completely blocks Spicy Curry. They cannot touch you. Since it reflects and they automatically breathe fire with the item, they're screwed XD I just sat there reflecting the entire time while my friend couldn't do anything to hit me.

I see. I knew about the stale move negation. This to me is a good decision because people tend to spam a lot after they get comfortable with one specific tactic or 2 to 3 different moves. This will make matches much more varied and make people use the whole moveset.

Nabster92

Firestorm said:

Wasn't this in melee too? I remember being able to continue to reflect red shells to keep it alive/raise its' damage but it eventually will break your reflector if you keep doing it

edit: beaten

Keru_Shiri said:

No kidding. It's even hard to power shield fireballs. When I do perfect shield it's always unintended.

pulga

Banned
Scalpel Knight said:
I knew "Ukemi" sounded familiar to me. It's the name of a similar-looking technique in Viewtiful Joe.

Same thing happened to me, only until now do I realize where I heard it before.

Viewtiful Joe <3<3<3

technique10_080211i.jpg

I just realized how ridiculous (in a good way) the food looks. Its just pictures of real food. No graphics or animation, just pictures of food. :lol

Firestorm

Ooh was it? I didn't know actually. It's been a long time since I played an extended time with items. How about the lying down + eating? Was that in too?

MThanded said:
I see. I knew about the stale move negation. This to me is a good decision because people tend to spam a lot after they get comfortable with one specific tactic or 2 to 3 different moves. This will make matches much more varied and make people use the whole moveset.

It's really interesting I find. I'm going to have to be more concious of what I do as I used to spam the same move for a period of time, then move on and stuff. I have really dumb patterns I follow that I have to break out of. I want to be good at Brawl :(

Firestorm said:

I've never called it Teching and didn't know what the hell people meant when they used the term. In SNK/CAPCOM games it's called knockdown recover and so I used that. Why is it called teching anyways?

I also thought everyone called small jumping "small jumping," which is the official term for it in the SNK games where it originated.

MThanded

Firestorm said:
Ooh was it? I didn't know actually. It's been a long time since I played an extended time with items. How about the lying down + eating? Was that in too?

It's really interesting I find. I'm going to have to be more concious of what I do as I used to spam the same move for a period of time, then move on and stuff. I have really dumb patterns I follow that I have to break out of. I want to be good at Brawl :(

Yeah i am guilty of this too. With my friends im a huge game and watch fan and i use is left smash(the match) alot on edges. Gonna need to mix it up some more now. This will make the matches we have a lot better I think.

Jiggy

Alright, I said I'd do Shakespearian, but actually I won't. I'll save it for next time, because it's too late to come up with this stuff when I want to wake up to Lords of Thunder on VC. Maybe some of you will get into SNES Harvest Moon, too.

-Quick Techniques is the 223rd official update, on this the 185th update day and the beginning of the 38th update week.

-How to play, an update type not seen for over two months (December 5th), makes a comeback with its 19th update, but time has passed it by--that doesn't change its place in the hierarchy.

-The five least recent update types are now item, special moves, Poke Ball, music, and game mode. I'd say not to expect any more how to play updates, but that's not true: we haven't gotten crawling or wall-jumping yet.

-Monday is now tied with Friday for last place on number of how to play updates rather than decisively in last place.

I believe that's about it.

Firestorm

Mockingbird said:
I've never called it Teching and didn't know what the hell people meant when they used the term. In SNK/CAPCOM games it's called knockdown recover and so I used that. Why is it called teching anyways?

I have no idea why it's called that actually. It's one syllable and easy to say so I'm not going to argue against it! You can tech off of walls and ceilings too by the way. A very, very useful thing if you and your friends play Hyrule Temple.

Sciz

Firestorm said:
Doing it in Melee would reflect projectiles. As a Samus player, this sucked
except on the rare occasions I managed to powershield it right back
. I've heard the reflection is gone in Brawl though, and the update seems to confirm that.

Weird having official names for all of these techniques.

Firestorm

Sciz said:
Doing it in Melee would reflect projectiles. As a Samus player, this sucked
except on the rare occasions I managed to powershield it right back
. I've heard the reflection is gone in Brawl though, and the update seems to confirm that.

Weird having official names for all of these techniques.

Yeah powershielding doesn't reflect projectiles anymore. I was referring to the effect of it giving you less lag time if you timed it right, which I found out did in fact exist in Melee.

Jiggy

I just hope you can't get pushed backward by an attack even while powershielding as it was in Melee; seemed to defeat the purpose if the intent was to allow for a counterattack.

scottnak

Lets see. Ukemi seems to be a Judo "protective pose" when you fall according to my dad.
Which... makes sense seeing how Sakurai describes the move. haha.

Nifty!

Jiggy

Random note: NA would have had Brawl yesterday if not for the second delay. And if not for the first delay, NA would have had Brawl for two months and one week as of yesterday. Enjoy! :D

TJ Spyke

Yeah, that sucks. I feel worse by my fellow gamers who live in Europe and Oceania, where a release date hasn't even been announced for the game.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
Random note: NA would have had Brawl yesterday if not for the second delay. And if not for the first delay, NA would have had Brawl for two months and one week as of yesterday. Enjoy! :D
Not a stat I want to see >.>
:_:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom