• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

Does it really have a one-frame time window? Yeesh, no wonder nobody had found it. How could they possibly expect people to find these things?

Jiggy

Sharp said:
Does it really have a one-frame time window? Yeesh, no wonder nobody had found it. How could they possibly expect people to find these things?
By reading the Dojo, I guess. >_>

turk128

Iam Canadian said:
Considering how the Dojo actually managed to stun us all with something new, I'd almost consider the Samus -> Zamus transformation revelation a megaton. Just for managing to catch us spoilery folk off guard.

Miniton, maybe?
Stealth Megaton; i.e. seems like just another update until you realize the implications.

Hmm, wonder which one will be next.... whoa, it'll be crazy if you can do more than watch in spectator mode.

turk128

MrCheez said:
O CRAP! I got it.

You have to do it REALLY fast. I had to use both my hands... turned the controller sideways and had a thumb on up and a thumb on down :lol

When it happens it interrupts her taunt - she immediately starts to glow and kneels down and puts a hand on the floor, then light flashes from her and the armor falls off.
How long does the transformation last? I'm thinking Sak made it hard to do cause you're invulnerable while doing it?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
turk128 said:
How long does the transformation last? I'm thinking Sak made it hard to do cause you're invulnerable while doing it?

Hmmm about 3 seconds maybe? About the same time it now takes to switch from Zelda to Sheik and vice versa. (Which takes quite a bit longer in Brawl than it did in Melee)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CassSept said:
The thing with siblings in FE is creepy.
I may actually play one of Fire Emblems now.
Which is best to start with?

You basically have a few good options.

FE 7 (Known as Fire Emblem in the US and Europe)

Pros

Great story
good difficulty curve, maybe a bit too hard for some
My avatar
Great music

Cons

Hard to find
A prequel to FE6, which is Japan only, so it doesn't have quite the same story resonance.

FE 8 (Known as Fire Emblem:Sacred Stones)

Pros

Self contained plot
Ability to choose promotion class
Hilarious support conversations
Easier to find than FE 7
Really easy for a beginner. You can level outside of chapters.

Cons

Story is a bit plain
Remember how I said it's easy. It might be too easy, especially if you have any SRPG background.
Music is much worse than any other western FE game.

FE 9 (Known as Fire Emblem:path of Radiance)

Pros

Long
Good music, decent graphics, many characters.
Good story
Pretty balanced difficulty
Easy to find cheap.

Cons

Some people don't like the battle animations
Different save system
Hard mode isn't hard enough
Not enough cutscenes
No support conversation master list. (I think)

FE 10 (Known as Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn)

Pros

Really long
Gigantic roster
neat story
better graphics, music, everything in general over PoR
Hard as balls. Easiest difficulty isn't too bad though.
Continuation of PoR.
Easiest to find new.
You can play one handed.

Cons

Too hard maybe to start with, even on the easiest difficulty.
Plus being a direct sequel you really want to play PoR first.
You can do a little bit of cheating with saves. This might be a pro for most people.

Conclusion: FE 8 is the worst of them all, but still a great game. It is however, the perfect game to start with if you're unfamiliar with the genre. If you are, I'd say PoR is next. Easy to find cheap, direct prequel to Radiant Dawn. FE would be next, as it is less connected to its companion game than Radiant Dawn. It is rather hard to find these days. Last would be Radiant Dawn. Now hilariously enough, this might be my favorite FE game and yet it wouldn't be my first choice for starting.

NotWii

Banned
Man God said:
Seriously you think FE7 has a better story than FE9/FE10?

FE4 is still my favorite, best music, absolutely huge chapters (3 bosses to defeat in the first one), focus on horseback combat which means larger maps, difficult, awesome characters especially Sigurd, awesome support system, but only in Japanese :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii said:
Seriously you think FE7 has a better story than FE9/FE10?

FE4 is still my favorite, best music, absolutely huge chapters (3 bosses to defeat in the first one), focus on horseback combat which means larger maps, difficult, awesome characters especially Sigurd, awesome support system, but only in Japanese :(

It's pretty even in my book. Hell, it definately wins the prize for best story in a tutorial. That might be enough to win out over the long haul.

I love FE 4. Heck right now the only FE game I haven't beaten is Gaiden. It is worth noting that while FE 6 is supposedly a port of the N64 DD version, it is really pretty short for an FE game. Then they continued the tradition with 7 and 8. But when it finally made its homecoming to consoles, they come back with one large game and then one ridiculously large game.

I hope to jeebus that they pull a Square Enix here and release all the FE games on the DS. Then translate them and ship them over here. Script guides and a dictionary are good, but no replacement for a good localization.

NotWii

Banned
Man God said:
It's pretty even in my book. Hell, it definately wins the prize for best story in a tutorial. That might be enough to win out over the long haul.

I hope to jeebus that they pull a Square Enix here and release all the FE games on the DS. Then translate them and ship them over here. Script guides and a dictionary are good, but no replacement for a good localization.
Yeah, I'll admit the story in the tutorial chapters was a fantastic way to tie in those 'lesser' chapters into the whole picture. But I honestly can't remember anything else from the story.

Maybe this is what they're trying to start with FEDS which is FE1...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii said:
Yeah, I'll admit the story in the tutorial chapters was a fantastic way to tie in those 'lesser' chapters into the whole picture. But I honestly can't remember anything else from the story.

Maybe this is what they're trying to start with FEDS which is FE1...

We don't know if it is one though. Could be three. Which makes more sense, as it kills two birds with one stone.

The plot of FE 7 is simple. Bad guy wants dragons, you stop him. It's the little twists and turns and the way it connects to FE 6 that I appreciate the most. A proper after the fact prequel.

Also, Lyn is in Brawl.

NotWii

Banned
Man God said:
We don't know if it is one though. Could be three. Which makes more sense, as it kills two birds with one stone.

The plot of FE 7 is simple. Bad guy wants dragons, you stop him. It's the little twists and turns and the way it connects to FE 6 that I appreciate the most. A proper after the fact prequel.

Also, Lyn is in Brawl.
That would be even better! FE3 + FE1 and offer FE2 as a bonus
Wish they'd polish the sprites though.

I just found FE7's story a little plain...
I love the political motivations and racial conflicts in FE9/FE10, it really makes it more interesting.

Yeah I know :p
I love FE7's trifecta of lords almost as much as I love Sigurd :D

grandjedi6 said:
Radiant Dawn has the best story and PoR has the best storytelling of all the Fire Emblems
Yep yep :D
PoR's is more epic to me since you stick with Ike the whole time and there's no party splitting.

Oh no, we've turned this thread into a Fire Emblem appreciation thread!

NeonZ

Actually, some of the material has called it a remake of Shadow Dragon and Sword of Light, so it probably will be just a remake of FE1. I only hope whenever they get around to remaking FE3, they'll give new designs for everyone, unlike in the original. There's no way almost everyone should look the same after 4 or 5 years.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
NeonZ said:
Actually, some of the material has called it a remake of Shadow Dragon and Sword of Light, so it probably will be just a remake of FE1. I only hope whenever they get around to remaking FE3, they'll give new designs for everyone, unlike in the original. There's no way almost everyone should look the same after 4 or 5 years.

Yeah, everything points to a FEI only remake.

Yeah, it's incredible that the Dojo is still able to reveal things that had yet to be discovered by people who have thoroughly played the game. I wonder what else we haven't figured out yet.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
zerosuit_samus_080208a-l.jpg

What the hell is wrong with her spine.

Come on, Mangog, you've got to knock 10 at least a tich for gimping the actual conversations in the supports (Though it is damn awkwardly funny when the two characters make no sense).

FE9 with seven coming after that. 10 will probably move up there when I go back and restart it when I have more time and the necassary knowledge.

And about Ike and Mist, I really think it's more Ike and Soren. Cause, while Ike may be clueless about everyone, Soren is damn obvious.
That and Ike/Soren is Ike's only paired ending

Crushed said:

What the hell is wrong with her spine.

Side-effect of the Morph Ball?

dude

dude
Jiggy, I could probably go through some pages next week, though the week after that (the 25th) would be ideal since I'm quitting my job and will have a lot of free time. If you're tight on time, I could still do it this week.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow i managed to miss the zero suit samus switching stuff when I skimmed over the update last night. That opens up another character. I know I am late as hell...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Roy is the one clueless about women. Anyone who has played FE6 knows this. Every girl in the game wants in his pants and he never realizes it. Hopeless. Hector would do them all at the same time. Expect his daughter...though it is FE we are talking about

HK-47 said:
Roy is the one clueless about women. Anyone who has played FE6 knows this. Every girl in the game wants in his pants and he never realizes it. Hopeless. Hector would do them all at the same time. Expect his daughter...though it is FE we are talking about

And that's because Hector is amazing. I haven't beaten 7 yet,
I'm at a mission or two before Eliwood promotes
, but my Hector was so badass it hurt-- my teams exp count. Nothing touched him. If he didn't dodge it, it did no damage, and then he'd one shot them.

I wish he had made it into Brawl.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
crowphoenix said:
And that's because Hector is amazing. I haven't beaten 7 yet,
I'm at a mission or two before Eliwood promotes
, but my Hector was so badass it hurt-- my teams exp count. Nothing touched him. If he didn't dodge it, it did no damage, and then he'd one shot them.

I wish he had made it into Brawl.

He's in serious contention for best lord in the series. The only one I could see being near him is Ike, but Ike is a goddamn cheap ass mofo. Ephiram would be up there if they didnt fuck up his stat caps...still god tier in his game regardless

NotWii

Banned
HK-47 said:
He's in serious contention for best lord in the series. The only one I could see being near him is Ike, but Ike is a goddamn cheap ass mofo. Ephiram would be up there if they didnt fuck up his stat caps...still god tier in his game regardless
NO ONE BEATS SIGURD!
TKCA-70929_back.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wii said:
NO ONE BEATS SIGURD!
TKCA-70929_back.jpg

Sigurd isnt even close to the best character in his own game. Ike, Ephiram, Hector...they are the best. Sigurd maybe have been the best lord for his time but thats not saying much when the other lords were weak shits until they got their uber weapons.

Best FE game from a quality standpoint, but it dont have the best lord by a long shot

scottnak

Hey guys? What in the hell are you guys talking about
Last time I checked, this was the DOJO UPDATE

We just got the approval to keep this open! DOn't make him revoke it.*shakes fist*

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We are talking about FE lords. Marth was in the update. Marth is a lord. We are having a subdiscussion

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
HK-47 said:
And Sain would likely do any one, but only one.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'd consider this remarkably on topic, since in the past we've managed to tie discussions on Shakespeare, high heels, why portables are better than consoles, and the works of John Steinbeck into this thread.

Crowphoenix said:
Side-effect of the Morph Ball?

After reading what happened to the Space Pirates that tried to duplicate the Morph Ball in a scan in Metroid Prime, I'd say Samus gets off easy.

Sharp said:

It's an Easter egg. How did they expect people to find those secret Star Fox team taunts in Melee?

Firestorm

I only ever played part of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Losing my characters and restarting because I didn't want them to die annoyed me so much that I eventually stopped playing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
I only ever played part of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Losing my characters and restarting because I didn't want them to die annoyed me so much that I eventually stopped playing.

Sissy

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
You should have just said "one of the Fire Emblem games." Because in The Sacred Stones pretty much every character is a hulking dominant beast of death and destruction.

dude said:
Jiggy, I could probably go through some pages next week, though the week after that (the 25th) would be ideal since I'm quitting my job and will have a lot of free time. If you're tight on time, I could still do it this week.
We can wait. :D

Edit:

Posts 2,501-5,000: Jiggy37

Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix
Posts 37,501-40,000: possibly reserved for Iam Canadian?
Posts 40,001-42,500: Guled
Posts 42,501-45,000: dude

Posts 55,001-60,000: Jiggy37

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
Hmm...? ....? Who could this be? I'm betting that whoever it is, knowing Sakurai its going to be the next update

We just got Marth two days ago though. Although I it's likely that this character will be revealed next week. I didn't even realize it until someone told me, but this is a hint at a certain hidden character.

Jiggy

Actually, it's Samus' scan visor.

No, I'm just joking; I don't know if she uses her scan visor in Subspace Emissary. Edit: Come to think of it, even though I've read all the spoiler threads, I have next to no idea what Samus does in SSE.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Hellsing321 said:
I know about Samus' extendable grapple, but what are the other two?

I'm actually not sure what the Sleepy Time one is, but the bottom of the Barrel Cannon item in Melee has "2L84U" written on the bottom. You can only really see it when you zoom in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom