• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3wThr33

Banned
fzero104.png

Close enough.

New kind of pokeball rocks.

RagnarokX

What if there is an assist trophy for every trophy in Brawl's trophy gallery (if it has one)? That'd be badass. Hell, what if you can collect trophies for the gallery by using them for the first time in-game?

bigmakstudios said:
who decided that there will definitely be completely individual texture sets simply for costumes?

People who don't realize what a huge waste of time and resources that would actually be while developing a game like this.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.

Captain Olimar with Pikmin is playable character material. There could be a separate pikmin AT and that would be fine.

Other characters that should be playable and not ATs:

WW Link
Tingle (hehehhe)
Tom Nook

Assist Trophy:

Midna
Rick (The hamster from Kirby)
Advance Wars characters
Bowser Jr. (Just to cement his non-playable status)
OSU!/EBA

Alright here are my top 10 most wanted assist characters:

1. Tingle
2. Jimmy T.
3. Eggplant Wizard
4. Excite Bike Rider
5. Slippy Toad
6. R.O.B the robot
7. Metroid
8. Pikmin
9. Glass Joe
10. King K. Krool

:D

Dark Ninja said:
That would suck
Then everyone would choose the best helper
or a helper that would cause some effect that would cause an insta-kill

trust me it already happens in JUS
when I play online I see the same 5 helpers

It just ruins the game

There's easy ways around that. Most simple would be to define a couple types of assist: projectile, popper, pusher, protection, smasher, etc; and allow the player to choose which he wants. He's then given an assist of that type based on the universe the character is from. Yay, a minor amount of customizing without everyone throwing down the same. Pipe dream of course, but just saying.

RagnarokX

What would suck would be if this happened:

Sakurai: "LOL! Snake is an assist! He's not playable at all! You actually play as Raiden!"

Zeed

Banned
LIST WARS, GO:

1. Tetra
2. Elite Beat Agents
3. Ouendan
4. Midna
5. Raiden
6. Ridley
7. Metal Gear Rex
8. Fierce Deity Link
9. Shiek
10. Pikmin

hiryu2015

The Kirby-Hammer Bro images seem to imply that the assist characters replace your own in battle temporarily. Maybe your character is placed in the capsule throughout the assist, away from the battle and out of your control leavin you unable to control the assist. This would be much more limiting that MvC.

I imagine the Koopa Kids (the real Mario3 ones!) would be great for this. Punch-Out enemies too. Although I'd like to see Bald Bull playable, rather than Mac, 'cause I think he's more iconic and more interesting than Little Mac.

These ar other characters I don't want to see as trophies.

Ridley (really would like to see him playable, and considering how big the Metroid franchise is now I think it needs a second character in the fray.)

Tom Nook

Tingle

{Mike}

Banned
WHAT ABOUT THE FARTS? WARIO IS UGLY BECAUSE HE FARTS AMIRITE?

Seriously though, this update is incredible. The roster of characters, even if limited to a cameo, just increased significantly. Ridley is almost confirmed as an assist IMO, as are the Ice Climbers. Falcon is confirmed as playable too IMO. But I swear, if FALCO is an assist, you can feed my balls to the crows. I would hate hate Sakurai for it. Oh and what if we saw Tails or Jim Raynor? LMAO.

Potential assists

- Pikmin
- Tom Nook
- Ballon Fighter
- Chibi-Robo
- Doshin the Giant (personal bet)
- Jill/Chris/Leon from RE
- Skullkid/Majora's Mask/Kafei
- Count Bleck

But wait...what if you could have an Assist Trophy....WITH YOUR Mii ! That would be too cool....imagine your Mii on the battlefield haha.

hiryu2015 said:
The Kirby-Hammer Bro images seem to imply that the assist characters replace your own in battle temporarily. Maybe your character is placed in the capsule throughout the assist, away from the battle and out of your control leavin you unable to control the assist. This would be much more limiting that MvC.
Considering how assists in the Capcom Vs. games and the strikers in NESTS era KoF games broke the crap out of them, making the assist trophies more limited is probably a good thing.

I swear, ever since I played VJ like 3 years ago, all I could think of was that he would be the PERFECT SSB character. His moves make absolutely so much sense for an SSB game. For example, Red Hot Kick could be down A.

Haven't played that game in eons so that's all I can remember. :p

PkunkFury

bigmakstudios said:
what's all this alt costume talk anyway? who decided that there will definitely be completely individual texture sets simply for costumes? seems like a bit of a strange idea to me. i think that if they go through the trouble of doing that, they'll atleast make a completely new character for it, even if it is just a clone.

Alternate costumes existed to a degree, even in Melee. For example, Daisy on Peach and Blood Falcon on Captain Falcon, or even the many accessories on Pichu/Pikachu/Jiggly Puff. I think everyone who wants more alternate costumes has a different idea of how they'd be implemented. I've always assumed alternate costumes would be the new version of clones, with costumes including skins that alter the shape of the character. Changed shapes would involve some extra work, as they would require changed hit boxes and therefore the character needs to be rebalanced (faster/slower/stronger) so the new proportions don't constitute an advantage disadvantage (essentially they become a clone which is selectable through the costume switch). However, it seems less likely that either clones or extravagant alternate costumes exist after today's update.

As far as amount of work is concerned, alternate costumes would be easier than modeling and animating these characters for assist trophies. A little more work since you'd have to be sure the character rig doesn't break for all character moves, rather than just assist animations, but at the same time they wouldn't have to come up with any new assist animations or program any new effects. The hard part is basically getting the modeling, texturing, and rigging down (which has all been done in the case of these assists). Assuming the alternate costumes are similar to the original character in shape, it's no problem swapping them in (hence the Pikachu hats).

Alternate costumes that work like clones do take things a step further. For example, take Goroh. We've seen that he's modeled, textured, and rigged based on today's update. Making him a Falcon clone would simply involve swapping in Falcon's animations on the rig and changing the hit boxes and character stats up a bit. It's more work, but not nearly as bad as whipping up a whole new character (hence the inclusion of 6 clones in Melee).

Shinobix

1. Elebits
2. Midna
3. Kat & Anna
4. Ninji
5. Rush (considering Megaman is playable)
6. Goron
7. Zant
8. Wart
9. Starfi
10. Ray from custom robo

dfyb

Banned
RagnarokX said:
How about Miis as assists? They could stampede across the stage and their appearance depends on the Miis in your Mii channel.
i like this idea and hope it happens. you could even attach your mii to your name in smash, and it could deal the final blow or something :lol

the idea of mii's stampeding in smash reminds me of bridget's instant kill in guilty gear.

{Mike} said:
WHAT ABOUT THE FARTS? WARIO IS UGLY BECAUSE HE FARTS AMIRITE?

Seriously though, this update is incredible. The roster of characters, even if limited to a cameo, just increased significantly. Ridley is almost confirmed as an assist IMO, as are the Ice Climbers. Falcon is confirmed as playable too IMO. But I swear, if FALCO is an assist, you can feed my balls to the crows. I would hate hate Sakurai for it. Oh and what if we saw Tails or Jim Raynor? LMAO.

Potential assists

- Pikmin
- Tom Nook
- Ballon Fighter
- Chibi-Robo
- Doshin the Giant (personal bet)
- Jill/Chris/Leon from RE
- Skullkid/Majora's Mask/Kafei
- Count Bleck

But wait...what if you could have an Assist Trophy....WITH YOUR Mii ! That would be too cool....imagine your Mii on the battlefield haha.
Oh that is a great list. Tom Nook, Chibi-Robo, Doshin the Giant and Skull Kid would be awesome! :D

Jiggy

All I really want from first-party ATs (which might be all there is, but like I said before, who knows) is my Marin. Just give me my Marin to pick people up with a crane, dig up the ground underneath them with a shovel, and summon animals with her singing, and everything's awesome no matter who's in or out for ATs.

To a lesser extent, the rest of my wishlist (not counting third-party characters for now):

Mario: Hammer Bros. (wish granted, hey)
Zelda: Marin, Marin, Marin, Tingle, Stalfos, Iron Knuckle, Darknut, Skull Kid, Nayru (not the goddess, the Oracle of Ages character), Din (Oracle of Seasons dancer), the Link's Awakening shopkeeper who zaps you
Kirby: The stag beetle that gives the Suplex power, the ape that gives the Hammer power
Metroid: Metroid, Ridley, a Mini-Kraid from Metroid 1
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh (yay), Pico (his profiles always call him dangerous), Super Arrow, Zoda
Star Fox: Slippy, just to continue to tick off everyone who hates his guts, myself included, considering he'll be invincible
Advance Wars: Sami, Sami, Max
Fire Emblem: Mia, Boyd, Gatrie, Titania, Shinon (I think that was his name... the Sniper)
Mother: Paula, Jeff, Starman, Buzz Buzz (hey, they said some would be obscure)
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook, and Lyle so he can shove ripoff insurance deals in your face and generally stalk you around the level
Other: Pikmin, Ouendan team, Elite Beat Agents team, Jill from Drill Dozer, Mike from Startropics

If I've neglected someone important, it's probably because I'd both rather have the outright character and believe there's a chance of it happening (Daisy, Midna, King Dedede, and Diddy/Dixie Kong seem possible, whereas I'm too cynical to hope for Marin, Sami, Ridley, or Jill).

Shinobix said:
1. Elebits
2. Midna
3. Kat & Anna
4. Ninji
5. Rush (considering Megaman is playable)
6. Goron
7. Zant
8. Wart
9. Starfi
10. Ray from custom robo

I would imagine Rush being a part of Megaman's moveset. Sort of like he is in Marvel vs Capcom. For instance I think Megaman's up B would have to include the Rush-jet or something.

dfyb said:
i like this idea and hope it happens. you could even attach your mii to your name in smash, and it could deal the final blow or something :lol

the idea of mii's stampeding in smash reminds me of bridget's instant kill in guilty gear.

NOOOOOOOO! I want Mii as a playable character!

dfyb

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
NOOOOOOOO! I want Mii as a playable character!
that'd be interesting.

another idea is instead of the polygon fighters, you have mii's. would be hilarious

also, some of you are speculating on the cloudy figure inside the assist trophy... $20 says it's not a clue to a certain assist character and it's just part of the item to tell you "anyone can pop out of this." it might as well be a big question mark inside

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, if we don't see the Elite Beat Agents / Cheerleaders in the game now, I'll be mighty surprised.

I'm actually half expecting "8-bit Mario" to be an assist character too, now.

This may be the most interesting "non-news" ever -- I mean, the game doesn't radically change because of this (it's really just like adding more Pokemon), but it does become much more interesting.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Jiggy37 said:
Kirby: The stag beetle that gives the Suplex power

That would be a good one. He was my favorite mini boss.

Mr. Resetti digging tunnels and kicking everyones ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom