• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odinson

A Link to the Snitch said:
If I were to decide the Assist Trophies, it'd consist of...

1. Nintendog (with many variations - Shiba Inu, Dalmatian, Chihuahua, Dachshund, Labrador, etc.)
2. Samurai Goroh
3. Hammer Bros.
4. Tingle (floats into the air and flings neutral bombs - that is, they damage everyone they hit)
5. Professor Kawashima (no ****ing idea what he'd do)
6. Raving Rabbids (running around the arena at high speeds waving tennis rackets and kicking soccer balls)
7. Navi (would annoy the Hell out of everyone)
8. Goomba (minor distraction)
9. Octorok (shoots rocks)
10. Gibdo (does heavy damage to anyone - if damaged, will turn into a ReDead)
11. Koopa Troopa (same as before)
12. Like-Like (eats anyone it comes close to)
13. Waddle Dee (varies - some carry a hammer, some carry a parasol, some carry a sword)
14. Metroid (steals energy from opponents and gives it to you)
15. Karate Guy (from Rhythm Tengoku - punches objects towards opponents)
16. Punch-Out!! boxer (varies - could be Glass Joe, Bald Bull, King Hippo, or Mr. Dream)

Such an awesome feature. Thanks HAL!
The rabbids would be great for an assist trophy!

Epiphyte said:
Starfox Adventure says Hi

Do you think they should update Fox with a bunch of moves from that game? Obviously they're more canon than his Melee moves.

WHY DOESN'T FOX HAVE A STAFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRAWL IS BULLSHIT

Never even mind. Worthless.

I just hope the game features an updateable structure.
I dont want to wait 4-5 years for new characters and such.

And it´ll be even worse if Ridley is a support-character, but not playable >_<

Alpha_eX

There better be a Pikmin Assist Trophy or i'll be pissed.

Would be cool if you could choose an Assist Trophy like you can choose support in Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS, at the moment, they are just pokéballs with people inside.

Firestorm

A Link to the Snitch said:
If only all 493 Pokémon could be in - or at least all of the strongest forms of the Pokémon.

Only
is required.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
radiuhm said:
Seems like there's gonna be a ton of items, think this will effect how pro's play, or will they still play with items off.
Well, before the tourney scene solidified the West Coast players in general prefered to keep items on, whereas the East Coast guys kept them off. We'll have to wait and see.

That damn Duck Hunt dog better be an assist trophy. It'll keep in line with him being invincible too. Also, the crazy chickens from the Legend of Zelda games.

Awesome idea - what if sfx and songs played in the Wiimote at certain events?

I got this idea from when I was discussing the Karate Guy as a playable character with someone.

When he enters, the intro song for his rhythm mini-game would play.

When he uses his B move (which would involve items flying by him, and the player having to hit them in rhythm), the song from the rhythm mini-game would play.

When he kills someone, the Wiimote says "Oh YEAH"

When he gets killed, the Wiimote plays the "failure" song.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
grandjedi6 said:
So basically assist trophies are the new pokeballs

Yeah but wayy cooler and probably more diverse in their attacks and how they aid you. God I dont even wanna know how many trophies Brawl will have to collect, good bye life.

Jiggy

MasterMFauli said:
I just hope the game features an updateable structure.
I dont want to wait 4-5 years for new characters and such.
I keep meaning to ask this in some thread or other, but where can I find a description of exactly what it is in terms of hardware or software that allows new content to be added to a game (any game) at a later date? I mean, I know systems can't rewrite the discs themselves, so what is it that makes new levels, characters, etc. possible?

(I can't even use a search engine on this issue because I don't know what the correct term to describe the process is...)

In other news Ridley just lost his chance at being a playable character

How? Who else could they add for Metroid? He's basically the most important character aside from Samus (of course, there are Metroids, but that wouldn't work... there isn't one Metroid character anyway... it's an entire breed... or species... or something).

RagnarokX

bigmakstudios said:
How? Who else could they add for Metroid? He's basically the most important character aside from Samus (of course, there are Metroids, but that wouldn't work... there isn't one Metroid character anyway... it's an entire breed... or species... or something).
Did you forget the metroid hatchling that fell in love with Samus in Metroid 2 and saved her life in Super Metroid? :p

bigmakstudios said:

Baby Metroid? Metroid Queen?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Holy crap I missed a megaton last night. Including Assist Trophies, Smash Bros. will have a cast of hundreds!

All bets are pretty much off on whether a particular character will be in the game now -- it's likely anyone you can think of will at least be an AT.

Danthrax said:
Holy crap I missed a megaton last night. Including Assist Trophies, Smash Bros. will have a cast of hundreds!

All bets are pretty much off on whether a particular character will be in the game now -- it's likely anyone you can think of will at least be an AT.

OMG KRATOS?!

Baby Metroid? Metroid Queen?

no. that wouldn't happen. I'm just saying that "Metroid" isn't a character in and of itself... it's just the species. i highly doubt he would call the character "Baby Metroid" or "Metroid Queen" though. If anything, it would still be Metroid... but imo, Ridley is much more likely to be a playable character than a generic Metroid.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
If they make the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan an assist character, I'm gonna go outside, run around naked, and scream of joy at the top of my lungs.

Come on Sakurai, don't let me down.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Danthrax said:

Ohh yeah Action Jesus: Slaying Sinners.

jesus_action.jpg

Firestorm

It'd be awesome if Assist Trophics weren't items and you could "equip" them to your character before the fight. Heck, make it storeable (like controller configuration) with your names!

This would be assuming they balanced them and they had some strategy and interesting effects other than "CHARGE GO BOOM YAY!"

Firestorm said:
It'd be awesome if Assist Trophics weren't items and you could "equip" them to your character before the fight. Heck, make it storeable (like controller configuration) with your names!

This would be assuming they balanced them and they had some strategy and interesting effects other than "CHARGE GO BOOM YAY!"

THAT would be awsome, but i doubt it.
But it´d make more sense. And it would complete the though of SSBB having Jump Ultimate Stars-like support characters.
Imagine...Ganondorf points towards the enemy and a giant Volvagia shoots down from the sky....*self-hype* >_<

I wouldn't mind a way let characters store a set of items and be able to call upon them. Perhaps more powerful items could take up more slots, or characters can equip a set number of "points" in items to keep from abusing the uber items. This could make for some interesting strategy, or for some fun grudge matches (pokeballs vs. assist trophies!).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Keru_Shiri said:
I wouldn't mind a way let characters store a set of items and be able to call upon them. Perhaps more powerful items could take up more slots, or characters can equip a set number of "points" in items to keep from abusing the uber items. This could make for some interesting strategy, or for some fun grudge matches (pokeballs vs. assist trophies!).

Well I think it would be better to allow characters to pocket 1 or 2 items they pick up in battle till the right moment and let them pick up another item or keep that attack open, but letting people preset items before battles seems like a bit too much.

Firestorm

Enduin said:
Well I think it would be better to allow characters to pocket 1 or 2 items they pick up in battle till the right moment and let them pick up another item or keep that attack open, but letting people preset items before battles seems like a bit too much.

Well, my idea was more to incorporate items as a viable strategy in competitive play. If you pick 'em up that wouldn't work as you'd go back to randomness. Planning out what works for your character inserts a "plan ahead" strategy kind of like in Pokemon (hold items).

Enduin said:
Well, both of our suggestions are exclusive from each other in that mine affects the meta-game where as yours is an in-game option, though that's not to say I would mind seeing an item storage system ala NSMB or SMW.

I suppose your right however, pre-selection of items does seem a bit messy.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Amir0x said:

Ness Assist Character confurmed! Mother 3 didn't sell enough, says Iwata!

jk

I don't want any of this "pre selected Assist Character" stuff. That would be very un-smash IMO. And its not going to happen too. Nintendog was revealed and it blocks your view. You have no choice, its completely random.

Firestorm

canocha said:
How come no one compared Nintendog.. from e3 06 trailer and this new one! :D

16.jpg
assist01_070702e-l.jpg

superbank said:
Ness Assist Character confurmed! Mother 3 didn't sell enough, says Iwata!

jk

I don't want any of this "pre selected Assist Character" stuff. That would be very un-smash IMO. And its not going to happen too. Nintendog was revealed and it blocks your view. You have no choice, its completely random.

How is it "un-smash"? o_O;

Dina

superbank said:
I don't want any of this "pre selected Assist Character" stuff. That would be very un-smash IMO.

Dunno if it's un-Smash or not, but it sure as hell reminds me of KoF's strikers. Which were brilliant. Still, making them items might be better suited. Situations in SSB games where everyone is going for a single item (usually a hammer or a heart) always were pretty fun.

Christopher said:
I hope this plays out good...but aren't PokeBalls the same thing??
Pretty much, though I'm thinking characters that come from assist trophies will be a little more "intelligent" and long lasting than the average pokemon.

Cosmozone

Hooray for fan service! :D
Now I'm very very confident that WW characters will be in the game. Playable would've been even more awesome, but I'm more betting on TP only Zelda characters, maybe with a Midna + Wolf Link combo.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Firestorm said:
How is it "un-smash"? o_O;

It should be random.

I'm sure some players will come up with crazy instant death combos with certain assists. If they can achieve that after every 4 or 5 items it won't be fun.

JKBii

I like this update, it's great for fanservice. But in regards to gameplay I think it would be better if none of them were invincible and they stayed on the field until you defeated them, just to differentiate them a bit from Pokemon.

Haunted

Well, with the Assist trophies unveiled, I have to retract a statement I made earlier: Sheik is not out, but definitely in the game
as an assist

apotema

It would be nice to have a little control on this assist and maybe the pokeballs, maybe with the pointer to signal which enemy do you want him to attack, or where to appear

Firestorm

superbank said:
It should be random.

I'm sure some players will come up with crazy instant death combos with certain assists. If they can achieve that after every 4 or 5 items it won't be fun.

Which is why I said they should be balanced. And obviously after you used an assist it would be gone for the remainder of the battle. So you'd only get one shot at it, and if you miss, you're screwed.

Kind of like when Peach pulls out a bob-omb or that crazy turnip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom