• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epiphyte

Nintaiyo said:
I really don't see how it's overly complex. Double tapping to the side has always meant dashing in 2D games. 1+2 can't be any more than a centimeter apart. How hard can it be to press both at once? It's not overly complex, just different.
You've hit the nail on the head

Hardcore gamers can use complex controls, but as a rule, they don't react well to changes in established series.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So wait, is it just me or is the wiimote only control counterintuitive?

Shouldn`t it be double tap for smash attacks, and single tap for normal attacks? Why make smashes easier to do than a strong attack?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Wiimote gimped total. Damn. I thought he was hinting at gestures? Hopefully the casuals who pick this up figure out the other control methods.

basic04_070705d-l.jpg

What is Link going to do, thats a very odd position. One handed stab? Maybe a just a baseball swing. ZSS will hit with her gun? Maybe the whip comes out during the swing.

Mario jumps off the ground for his strong attack, it looks like he's break dancing. His smash explosion looks very crisp.

dfyb

Banned
Nintaiyo said:
I really don't see how it's overly complex. Double tapping to the side has always meant dashing in 2D games. 1+2 can't be any more than a centimeter apart. How hard can it be to press both at once? It's not overly complex, just different.
with a normal controller, you just slam the stick to the side and press A. with a wiimote only, you have to press the d-pad to teh side twice and press two buttons.

how is that not making it overly complex? wiimote involves more buttons and more presses.... and this is just for a single attack.

Epiphyte said:
You've hit the nail on the head

Hardcore gamers can use complex controls, but as a rule, they don't react well to changes in established series.
if you really think someone using just the wiimote is going to be able to compete against someone of the same skill level using one of the other methods, you're not thinking very hard.

support for wiimote only is nice, but i don't plan on using it -- there's no reason to (i have enough controllers for everyone).

apotema

superbank said:
Wiimote gimped total. Damn. I thought he was hinting at gestures? Hopefully the casuals who pick this up figure out the other control methods.

basic04_070705d-l.jpg

What is Link going to do, thats a very odd position. One handed stab? Maybe a just a baseball swing. ZSS will hit with her gun? Maybe the whip comes out during the swing.

Mario jumps off the ground for his strong attack, it looks like he's break dancing. His smash explosion looks very crisp.

Maybe he is preparing a Gatotsu!!!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Neo Child said:
Are people forgetting the fact that you can customize the control schemes... ?

Well if we can't remember, how will the casuals who are most likely to use a Wiimote only going to remember??

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
It would super incredible if Mike Jones isn't a playable character that he would appear as an Assist Trophy and when smashed someone with a yo-yo then your character would get banned from going over to their house again. I wonder if the rumors of the Ice Climbers not returning as playable characters means that they will just appear as an Assist Trophy. Can this game get anymore awesomer?

Wiimote only controls look good! You'll probably use 1 and a combination of D-pad movements to do special attacks (The B button attacks in SSBM)

I bet you're gonna have to shake the remote to do dodges, press up to jump, press A to do the shield and press - to do the grab. Doesn't seem too bad actually! (Though I'll probably stick to the Wiimote and Nunchuck myself :D)

Epiphyte

dfyb said:
if you really think someone using just the wiimote is going to be able to compete against someone of the same skill level using one of the other methods, you're not thinking very hard.

support for wiimote only is nice, but i don't plan on using it -- there's no reason to (i have enough controllers for everyone).
On average, I don't think so, but I would like to actually give it a spin before reaching a verdict.

However, I'm quite sure there will be a couple of savants on smashboards who will insist that the wiimote is better and will be able to back it up. There's always those weirdos who can rock fighting games with a gamepad better than a joystick :lol

NotWii

Banned
OMG! NEW SMASH ATTACK FOR LINK!
Doesn't look like any TP inspired move.

Wonder if it's still a dual strike attack like in Melee

Zeed

Banned
I knew it! Stages always come on Fridays! There will be a stage tomorrow or else!

Nice to see that the controls are being thoroughly explained for each configuration.

Epiphyte

WOAH WOAH WOAH

What the hell is going on here?

The first control diagram I got when I checked the site at midnight PST
basic04_070705f2.jpg

Now this is in its place
basic04_070705f.jpg

What madness is this?

I presume it's some sort of translation error that got fixed. The wiimote scheme certainly seems much more reasonable without forcing you to double tap.

Zeed

Banned
Epiphyte said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/petriex/basic04_070705f2.jpg[IMG]

Now this is in its place
[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/petriex/basic04_070705f.jpg[IMG]

What madness is this?[/QUOTE]
Sakurai is improving the game [I]as we speak[/I]!

superbank

Huh, I guess someone screwed up the diagram. It would be more funny though if they screwed up the control scheme and they never knew until they got feedback from the forums. :lol Anyway, the new controls look completely playable.

CrushDance said:
He's doing a Getsuga Tenshou.

Confirmed.

What does that look like?

NotWii

Banned
Zeed said:
I knew it! Stages always come on Fridays! There will be a stage tomorrow or else!

Nice to see that the controls are being thoroughly explained for each configuration.
Might be music, we never got one this week.

dfyb said:
hardcore gamers don't make things overly complex.

i'll be using classic controller because it'll make wavedashing a blast (i hope WDing is still there)

Wavedashing was obviously a glitch in the physics of the game, one that's sort've well known now
(Understatement of the year). I'm positive they're going to 'fix' it (get rid of it) in brawl.

superbank

SuperAngelo64 said:
Wavedashing was obviously a glitch in the physics of the game, one that's sort've well known now
(Understatement of the year). I'm positive they're going to 'fix' it (get rid of it) in brawl.

HIT THE DECK!

It would be good if they got rid of it though. I don't want to wavedash to stay competitive online.

fernoca

Epiphyte said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH
I presume it's some sort of translation error that got fixed. The wiimote scheme certainly seems much more reasonable without forcing you to double tap.
CONFIRMED!
Sakurai reads NeoGAF!!!
Jiggy37 (before the image was fixed) said:
On another note, I don't understand why it's double-tap on the Wiimote--for a tilt attack. If smashes need 1 and 2 simultaneously, why not just single tap?

Epiphyte

SuperAngelo64 said:
You know not what you've done

Back away very slowly, being sure not to break eye contact. If you run, the thread will sense weakness and attack. With luck, you may live to see another sunrise.

Protip:never bring up wavedashing in s smash thread unless you wish to ignite a massive shitstorm

Dr.Hadji

SuperAngelo64 said:

NO, please don't. Stop it!!!

scottnak

Epiphyte said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH

(before)

Now this is in its place
(after)

What madness is this?

The great Sakurai skillfully uses his abilities to stealth edit.

And please, let us soak in the warmth that is the update a little longer.

SuperAngelo64 said:
mj_popcorn.gif

Epiphyte said:
You know not what you've done

Back away very slowly, being sure not to break eye contact. If you run, the thread will sense weakness and attack. With luck, you may live to see another sunrise.

Protip:never bring up wavedashing in s smash thread unless you wish to ignite a massive shitstorm

I don't give a snap!! I'm not going to be e-strongarmed by intraweb police. I wasn't saying I'm against or for wavedashing. In fact I do it myself on certain characters. I'm just saying it's obviously a technical bug and it's probably going to get fixed.

Back on topic: I wouldn't rule-out some type of double-tapping, Sakurai has a boner for double-tapping to run (see: every Kirby game ever).

superbank

SuperAngelo64 said:
I don't give a snap!! I'm not going to be e-strongarmed by intraweb police. I wasn't saying I'm against or for wavedashing. In fact I do it myself on certain characters. I'm just saying it's obviously a technical bug and it's probably going to get fixed.

Thats why the tourney players are gonna come in here and eRape you.

Agree with the wavedashing thing, although I never used it. It's an awkward looking way to play that doesn't look intended, and I hope they take it out also.

superbank

SuperAngelo64 said:
Is it too late for me to run to the store and get peace-offerings of Mountain Dew and Cheetohs before they get here? :[

Hurry!

Hopefully though they decide not to argue. Its been brought up multiple times already in this thread.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SuperAngelo64 said:
It's not really a glitch, but a technique that, like all of the smash metagame, revolves around exploiting the game's custom physics engine.

Call it whatever you want, but it's an important part of the competitive smash scene, and I, for one, hope they leave it in.

Now, where are those peace offerings?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
GaimeGuy said:
It's not really a glitch, but a technique that, like all of the smash metagame, revolves around exploiting the game's custom physics engine.

Call it whatever you want, but it's an important part of the competitive smash scene, and I, for one, hope they leave it in.

Now, where are those peace offerings?

Why are you taking his bait? It's not worth it!

bailout2.gif

The wiimote+nunchuk options sounds really solid to me so far, plus it'll be the most comfortable since you can have your hands apart. And it'll be a nice change from the melee controls.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Epiphyte said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH

basic04_070705f2.jpg

Now this is in its place
basic04_070705f.jpg

What madness is this?

Considering the second image, I might actually be interested in playing with the 4th control scheme. I always kinda thought the "tilt quickly" thing felt odd. It makes more sense to me to hit 2 and tap for normal attack, and 1+2 and tap for smash.

That`s actually looking a LOT better than it did before.

thetrin

Lé Blade Runner said:
Hmm.. The d-pad might offer supreme precision, too. I am getting interested in the Wiimote -option as well now. :)

Well, now I don`t feel crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom