• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
My friends and I won't be seen for days after this launches.

I love the music. Takes me back to those long lonely days of my childhood, teens, and now twenties.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not trailer worthy, but I'll settle for this.

Great update. This music rocks. Even better, considering I hated both Starfox themes in Melee.

Oblivion

Armitage said:
So, uh, is it 100% confirmed total that the music that's in the game will be orchestrated?

What? Have you listened to the other tracks? It's all high quality synth, no real orchestrations.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Armitage said:
So, uh, is it 100% confirmed total that the music that's in the game will be orchestrated?

No, but I remember Sakurai saying in an interview that he wanted all of the music orchestrated and have Latin lyrics. Was that for real or fake?

NotWii

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
wow thats a bummer
especially with all those musicians they got
It'll all be recorded with an orchestra when all the music is completely written

brandonh83 said:
omg so awesome. Glad it's from the SNES installment, which to me has the superior soundtrack out of all the installments.
Yes, it is the best installation ever!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oblivion said:
What? Have you listened to the other tracks? It's all high quality synth, no real orchestrations.
All that has been posted thus far are samples of the new arrangements. Never have these music updates been stated to be the actual in-game music.

Gee

MetatronM said:
All that has been posted thus far are samples of the new arrangements. Never have these music updates been stated to be the actual in-game music.

Let's hope you're right..

I remember Sakurai mentioning that all the tracks would be orchestrated.

NR1

Wii said:
It'll all be recorded with an orchestra when all the music is completely written

Agreed. They are clearly still writing and tweaking the music arrangements, so once they are done with that, they will hire an orchestra and get the final samples recorded in one session. No point in hiring a full orchestra several times during development and spending a ton of money.

TheGreatDave said:
I'd be very surprised.

I could see them going for it, though. The project seems to be a fairly major one for Nintendo considering things like the list of composers involved, the fact that they made such a point of getting Sakurai on board, the apparent size of the team working on it etc. Orchestrated music for a one-off, “Masterpiece” game (to use Iwata’s term) wouldn’t be outside the realms of possibility.

usea

Meta-Knight said:
Why? Most music in Melee is orchestrated, why would Brawl be downgraded to synthetized music?
No, it wasn't.

You guys are all fooling yourselves, and it's kind of sad to watch. I don't know why you care anyway, orchestrated is not superior.

As for this song, I don't like it at all. I think it's bad.

This one one of the best tracks on in the SNES version, but since it was on the easy path I never heard it much after a week or so of playing. I can't wait to fight to this one :D

usea said:
No, it wasn't.

You guys are all fooling yourselves, and it's kind of sad to watch. I don't know why you care anyway, orchestrated is not superior.

As for this song, I don't like it at all. I think it's bad.

Explain yourself. I remember following the Melee website updates very closely, and they mentioned that they recorded Melee's music with real instruments, and told us about some instruments that they used. According to Wikipedia FR (no mention about the game's music in the english entry) the orchestra was directed by Hirokazu Ando. I checked several sites, including IGN, and they all mention that most of SSBM's music is orchestrated in reviews and previews.

One way or another, SSBM's music quality is way better than what we have heard of Brawl, so I'm hoping these are not the final version of the songs.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Synth would be fine as long as they use a lot of sound samples. Although nothing beats the authentic sound of an orchestra.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
WE need a massive, gigantic chorus, singing or chanting latin lyrics while we battle in Final Destination..... I would then buy three games instead of one, and I will need a second Wii since I'll burn my first one.

Haunted

music shmusic.

Now that E3 is over, do I have to abandon all hope that we'll see more revelations in a new trailer, aside from that damn 15-seconds cocktease? :/

I was expecting several new characters revealed, you know. And we've got... DK, a returning character only.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
No Donkey Kong rap, no sale.
Ya knwo, not that I read this. A few days ago, I was hanging out with a friend of mine and went inside this pub and heard a song that had the same rythm as the DK rap. Thing is I dont remember anything from the song or the name. All I know is it was a guy and a girl singing. She said the songs is popular around and had been played several times on radio and TV.
But trust me, it had the same rythm as DKRap and it was pathetic.

usea

Meta-Knight said:
Explain yourself. I remember following the Melee website updates very closely, and they mentioned that they recorded Melee's music with real instruments, and told us about some instruments that they used. According to Wikipedia FR (no mention about the game's music in the english entry) the orchestra was directed by Hirokazu Ando. I checked several sites, including IGN, and they all mention that most of SSBM's music is orchestrated in reviews and previews.

One way or another, SSBM's music quality is way better than what we have heard of Brawl, so I'm hoping these are not the final version of the songs.
First of all, what I'm speaking out against is the assertion that performed and recorded music is inherently superior to produced music. That is not the case, in fact it's often much worse.

Secondly, download (or use the sound test) an assortment of songs from melee. Listen to them. I just did that and not a single one was played by an orchestra. All of the leads were synthesized or used samples. Two of them MIGHT have had performed percussion, but I couldn't tell. That is the whole point, you can't tell and it doesn't matter. I get the feeling that you guys read too many IGN reviews or something, I can't imagine where you would get such a retarded idea in your head that music is inferior when not performed live. You can't even tell that melee wasn't performed so what does that say about your belief?

The reason melee's music was better than what we've heard of brawl is because the brawl recordings on smashbros.com are extremely muddy. They're mixed poorly and compressed heavily. Hell, on the ssbm official CDs, half the tracks were severely clipped. The arranged orchestra CD has misnotes all over the place, they just taped an audience performance. I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to produce quality audio.

usea said:
First of all, what I'm speaking out against is the assertion that performed and recorded music is inherently superior to produced music. That is not the case, in fact it's often much worse.

Secondly, download (or use the sound test) an assortment of songs from melee. Listen to them. I just did that and not a single one was played by an orchestra. All of the leads were synthesized or used samples. Two of them MIGHT have had performed percussion, but I couldn't tell. That is the whole point, you can't tell and it doesn't matter. I get the feeling that you guys read too many IGN reviews or something, I can't imagine where you would get such a retarded idea in your head that music is inferior when not performed live. You can't even tell that melee wasn't performed so what does that say about your belief?

The reason melee's music was better than what we've heard of brawl is because the brawl recordings on smashbros.com are extremely muddy. They're mixed poorly and compressed heavily. Hell, on the ssbm official CDs, half the tracks were severely clipped. The arranged orchestra CD has misnotes all over the place, they just taped an audience performance. I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to produce quality audio.
i'm just sitting here really amused at the thought of an orchestra playing the DK rap.

silenttwn

usea said:

I agree with you, but you should know that there were a handful of songs that were recorded by an orchestra for Melee and are featured in the game. Off the top of my head, there's Kirby, Zelda, the opening FMV, Star Fox, Pokemon, and at least one or two more recorded pieces.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
usea said:
Secondly, download (or use the sound test) an assortment of songs from melee. Listen to them. I just did that and not a single one was played by an orchestra. All of the leads were synthesized or used samples. Two of them MIGHT have had performed percussion, but I couldn't tell.

Er... a small sample of the tracks -were- performed by an orchestra. The Kirby track was, along with a few others...

usea

DavidDayton said:
Er... a small sample of the tracks -were- performed by an orchestra. The Kirby track was, along with a few others...
It sounds as if you're trying to contradict something in my post that you quoted, but I can't quite figure out what that is.

voodoojohn said:
This may have been answered before, but has it been revealed whether the music in Brawl will be fully orchestrated or not?
NO. IT HAS NOT. OH SORRY MY CAPS LOCK IS ON. MY BAD.

I will wager $1000 with any poster who can put his wager into escrow that the majority of brawl's in-game music (by track or volume) will have NOT been performed in full by an orchestra for the game's audio.

edit: I retract this offer, because you retards would never agree that the audio isn't orchestrated and I don't want to pay somebody intelligent to arbitrate.

Somnid

The music has been fantasic so far so whether or not they'll orchestrate some, all or none of it doesn't matter to me. However they will score bonus points for "Mona Pizza," especially in a Warioware level that changes every 5 seconds.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
usea said:
It sounds as if you're trying to contradict something in my post that you quoted, but I can't quite figure out what that is.

You said that none of the music in SSBM was played by an orchestra.

I said that some had been. Between the end credits noting the orchestra and interviews from the release period mentioning that a few tracks were performed by an orchestra, I'm a tad confused as to why you insist that NOTHING was played by an orchestra.

Oblivion

I could have sworn the credits said that the Japan Philharmonic orchestra was hired for a track or two?

EdiT: Also, it might just be that my ears suck, or that I'm probably not paying attention closely enough, but aside from a few tracks in Melee (like Kirby's Fountain), the tracks from Brawl sound MUCH better. Both composition wise and synth quality. *shrug*

jett

D-Member
It annoys me when people say Melee had high quality synth...it's crap. Just listen to the Brinstar theme...that guitar sample is disgusting. Brawl is more tolerable, but it's still pretty mediocre. You know, in general the production values for Melee's audio is pretty low, even for the orchestrated pieces, which sound like they were recorded with the most cheap-ass $5 microphone. Brawl's trailer showed much promise..but alas...

Meta-Knight said:
Why? Most music in Melee is orchestrated, why would Brawl be downgraded to synthetized music?

It wasn't, and because I don't think Nintendo would spend money on it for, say, Smash Bros, a series basically taking old synth music and remixing it but not for Zelda, which had a lot of original compositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom