• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintaiyo

Somnid said:
Oh another idea, if Link completely charges the spin attack does he do the super spin attack? That'd be interesting.

Wait for the Wind Waker Link character update...

Dark Ninja said:
Maybe the gale boomerang brings back items

Maybe it can blow up Zelda's dress.

I really don't know why I just thought of that. It's too late. :|

Zeed

Banned
superbank said:
Bleh. I wanted them to change Link a bit more.
He's gotten buffed, and previous shots seem to imply that he has a new forward smash, yet his moveset remains "familiar". Seems just about right to me - it looks they're really putting an emphasis on balance now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Phatcorns said:
So uh, i was looking at the "devil" assist trophy. Can we assume that widescreen would affect this trophy? no widescreen confirmed? :(

oh, and just random speculation, Zelda's Final Smash: something to do with the three goddesses?

It still doesnt' change the fact that the stage goes off screen even with wide screen. There are probably ways of working around wide screen

RagnarokX

Well Twilight Princess had the great spin attack hidden move, so charging the spin attack makes sense. It will probably do more damage and have a larger range. The Gale Boomerang will help Link pull long range fighters in closer for the kill, and the clawshot upgrade should make recoveries a bit easier for him. Wouldn't it be cool if Link also randomly pulls out water bombs and bomblings too? Heh, imagine a bombling racing across a platform to attack a foe.

Sweet update, Link's looking like a pretty good choice. I hope the Hero's Bow is better than Melee. Ugh.

I love the adaptation of TP to his design and moves. Not only does he look awesome, but I love the gale boomerang.

Nintaiyo

This update just got me thinking about how awesome Ganondorf's moveset will be in this game seeing as how he'll no longer be a Capt. Falcon clone and he'll also be the TP design.

Zeed

Banned
Nintaiyo said:
This update just got me thinking about how awesome Ganondorf's moveset will be in this game seeing as how he'll no longer be a Capt. Falcon clone and he'll also be the TP design.
Well he will be the TP design, but it's too early to tell whether or not the moveset is getting revamped. I do hope that it is, but none of the old characters have had their sets overhauled at all - look at Zelda. That was a perfect opportunity to mix things up with some TP moves, but she still has her bullshot set from Melee.

AniHawk

Nintaiyo said:

Swordfights will be fuck awesome.

There needs to be a fourth swordfighter. So far it's just Link, Ike, and possibly Ganondorf. Maybe Lyn should join.

Zeed

Banned
AniHawk said:
Swordfights will be fuck awesome.

There needs to be a fourth swordfighter. So far it's just Link, Ike, and possibly Ganondorf. Maybe Lyn should join.
Lyn should definitely join, but I'd bet you a one month ban that Marth is still in.

Also I want her in (FE10 spoilers): http://www.fe-online.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/sanaki.jpg

Alkaliine said:
Agreed. But what other moves should he have?
His signature move is that ping-bong energy ball thing that he shoots, let him use that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Am I the only one who's still in two minds about whether or not to support Ganondorf getting a new moveset?

I love Ganondorf's moveset to bits in Melee as his incredible strength made good work of it (conversely, I can't really use Captain Falcon. Too fast for me.) And if it's gone then I'm afraid I won't be able to adapt to him properly.

...on the other hand he really does need his own "personality" on the field, so a new moveset to his style would be better for this.

Argh the choices!!! :(

Dr.Hadji

usea said:
Spin attack can charge now? Sounds like it could be much weaker than the melee version to me. In melee, one of the main reasons the spin attack was so good is that it came out on frame 1 or 2. If it can be charged, it's almost certain that it will have a moderate to slow start up time. If you look at basically every other chargable move, none of them come out that quickly. The quickest one I can think of off-hand is samus's fsmash. While quick for a fsmash, there's a big difference between it and a move as quick as link's upb.

If Links Spin Attack came out in 2 frames it would be a good move. The move is pretty slow, slower the Samus's fsmash that you just mentioned. Honestly the move is rubbish (slow, weak, easily punishable, and only has one hit instance) anything they do to the move can't make it worse.

legend166

I like that you can charge up the spin attack now. I always thought that Link just needed one move to finish people off with that he didn't have.

rhino4evr

I was hoping the spinner would be a special move. You know, because you only use it a few times in TP. It would have been nice to use it in another game. Would have been a cool dash move.

rhino4evr said:
I was hoping the spinner would be a special move. You know, because you only use it a few times in TP. It would have been nice to use it in another game. Would have been a cool dash move.
Dollars to donuts it ends up as an item.

Haunted

very nice, very nice. Loving the Link model - really looks great in the game.

It was difficult to aim in the previous game, but this time it automatically flies to the closest ledge, so it should be pretty simple to use.
yay!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What if I don't want it to fly to the closest ledge?

usea

Dr.Hadji said:
If Links Spin Attack came out in 2 frames it would be a good move. The move is pretty slow, slower the Samus's fsmash that you just mentioned. Honestly the move is rubbish (slow, weak, easily punishable, and only has one hit instance) anything they do to the move can't make it worse.
Hm, I didn't bother checking I was just going from memory. You're right in that it's not as fast as 2 frames, it hits on the 8th frame. However, samus's fsmash is still slower even though it's the fastest fsmash. It hits on the 10th frame.

Obviously link's upb isn't good to just walk up and do to people, but it's still a useful move. For edgeguarding and doing from the shield. You're right though that my assessment was off and it will probably be a better move in brawl.

usea said:
Hm, I didn't bother checking I was just going from memory. You're right in that it's not as fast as 2 frames, it hits on the 8th frame. However, samus's fsmash is still slower even though it's the fastest fsmash. It hits on the 10th frame.

Obviously link's upb isn't good to just walk up and do to people, but it's still a useful move. For edgeguarding and doing from the shield. You're right though that my assessment was off and it will probably be a better move in brawl.

You've obviously never played a Link vet who uses upb waaaaay too much and with some efficiency. Honestly it's one of the cheapest and therefore most effective moves in the game when done properly.

Mostly in melee combat. 1 on 1 it's less effective, but still fairly useful.

usea

worldrunover said:
You've obviously never played a Link vet who uses upb waaaaay too much and with some efficiency. Honestly it's one of the cheapest and therefore most effective moves in the game when done properly.

Mostly in melee combat. 1 on 1 it's less effective, but still fairly useful.
I have played several great link players. Maybe you quoted the wrong person? I'm the one who said it was good..

By the way, using upb too much can't be efficient because it's one of the most punishable moves people use. If you can see it coming, link is probably going to lose a stock. As for it being 'cheap' well, that word literally has no meaning so whatever.

suaveric

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm, I just realized.

Link's the first character on the site that's been "finished", as far as updates go. There's nothing more we can learn about him.

did we learn his final smash?

edit: never mind, we did

Zeed said:
Here's an uncanny comparison shot:

smashlink2.jpg
link_070820b-l.jpg
Link looks freaking amazing! :D

Frillen

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm, I just realized.

Link's the first character on the site that's been "finished", as far as updates go. There's nothing more we can learn about him.

We haven't learned that he can transform into cel shaded Link yet. Oh yes.

Zeed

Banned
Maxrpg said:
It's a different Link. Different Link, different moves.
I think he means "Why didn't they give us all four of Fox's moves like Link instead of just two?" And that's a fair question. Why DID they only give us only two of Fox's moves? It's not like the others are all-new or something, we've seen them in screenshots and videos.

Awww, am I the only one dissapointed with the auto aiming? I loved the challenge of grappling right where I wanted to and having that full control. Screw the difficulty, that's what seperates the casual players from the ones who actually get to learn the character...

DarkKyo

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I wonder if Nintendo will do a next-gen zelda with Smash or Galaxy-like Graphics what will happen here at GAF...

Yeah but I thought I heard Nintendo say they have no plans what-so-ever for another big Zelda title on the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom