• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
Chemo said:
Hey, ancient history! Like where Mr Game & Watch and Pit and the Ice Climbers come from. What do you know, Smash Bros is a game that revels in ancient history.
That's perhaps the absolute worst analogy I've seen presented in this thread. It completely ignores the fact that Game and Watch, Pit, and Ice Climbers have not had new entries in their series since "ancient history" while Snake has. In ignoring the Metal Gear Solid series you are being shamelessly disingenuous about this.

If Sonic was once a symbol of opposition to Nintendo, then Snake is one right now, perhaps more than any other character on Sony systems.

Chemo said:
You guys want Sonic SO MUCH that anyone with any idea why it may be a bad fit is totally the enemy who must be isolated and destroyed.
That's hilarious. I don't really care if Sonic gets in one way or another but your rationale for why he can't be is absolutely rediculous.

Chemo said:
Well, mission accomplished, I won't be posting in this thread anymore.
Good riddance. I hope you're sincere.

Please , KEEP Jigglypuff OUT of this GAME for God sakes... it was funny the first time , but PLEASE PUT IN A REAL SINGLE POKEMON THIS TIME! !! :lol

and no , pokeman trainer doesnt count.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
:lol if you think Nintendo will not make any more Smash Bros. games after this one, yeah ;lets pass up on MILLIONS of dollars worldwide just because the creator doesnt want to make them anymore.

This is Nintendo people, the best game developer in the world. If they want to make another Smash, they will find somebody suitable to replace Sakurai.

Sonic would be a good fit since a lot of young kids still like him, lots of kids dont know Snake, thats what happens when you star in M rated titles. For Sonic you have the games, shitty or not, you also have tv shows, comic books, toys, etc, etc. He would be a great fit for the game, but I dont think hell be in it, why? Cause if he was, Nintendo and Sega would have already made a big deal out of it.

Zeed

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
This is Nintendo people, the best game developer in the world. If they want to make another Smash, they will find somebody suitable to replace Sakurai.
There literally is no one suitable to replace Sakurai. Nintendo practically said as much - he's the only one they trust with Smash, which is really a wise move. The man is a genius with a unique approach to game design. That said, I'm confident that by the time next generation rolls around and Sakurai's done some more games for third parties, he'll be back to do a fourth Smash.

Japan time in less than three hours by the way. My character prediction came true last night, so I'm going to guess music today. Let's see if I'm on a roll.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Zeed said:
There literally is no one suitable to replace Sakurai. Nintendo practically said as much - he's the only one they trust with Smash, which is really a wise move. The man is a genius with a unique approach to game design. That said, I'm confident that by the time next generation rolls around and Sakurai's done some more games for third parties, he'll be back to do a fourth Smash.

Best man for the job? Sure, but dude, come on. This game to begin with has more than one designer and many producers and co-directors. Sakura obviously takes the spotlight and ultimately has final say on many things, but this is a multi-talent project. If Sakurai doesnt come back, from that pool of talent alone somebody could rise up and take the reins ... and if not? Again, this is Nintendo and this is how Aonuma got his start anyways, from working on Ocarina to being in charge of Majora's, and then he sailed from there. Somebody new could do the exact same, just like when Miyamoto bailed from directing Mario and Zelda games, youd think those franchises wouldnt happen without him, right?

Dont be mistaken that Nintendo will say whatever they have to say about Sakurai and Smash in order to create good publicity. Since he accepted and they have him, of course they're going to say hes the only one for the job, you and I would say the same! I happen to agree with them, but dont confuse good PR with business. Melee became the number one seller on GameCube and that immediately turned it into a franchise that will show up on every Nintendo home system from now on, guaranteed.

In any case, I could always see Sakurai coming back to the franchise perhaps not directing, but Executive Producer perhaps, or helping with the design, lower stress job while teaching people the ropes.

No prediction tonight, I expect the unexpected, as always.

Zeed

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Again, this is Nintendo and this is how Aonuma got his start anyways, from working on Ocarina to being in charge of Majora's, and then he sailed from there.
Aonuma's situation is different - Miyamoto hand picked him as his successor to heading the Zelda franchise. Miyamoto actively went and selected him to become assistant director for OoT and then dumped the rest of the games on him (and he's done a fine job in my opinion). Sakurai on the other hand left Nintendo unceremoniously and with no protege, unlike Miyamoto. It's technically possible that Nintendo might hand the series to someone else, but I personally think that to be so unlikely to the point of insignificance. Maybe if Sakurai were absolutely adamant on not returning, but I really think he'll come back after the generation has run its course.

Raging Spaniard

Zeed said:
Aonuma's situation is different - Miyamoto hand picked him as his successor to heading the Zelda franchise. Miyamoto actively went and selected him to become assistant director for OoT and then dumped the rest of the games on him (and he's done a fine job in my opinion). Sakurai on the other hand left Nintendo unceremoniously and with no protege, unlike Miyamoto. It's technically possible that Nintendo might hand the series to someone else, but I personally think that to be so unlikely to the point of insignificance. Maybe if Sakurai were absolutely adamant on not returning, but I really think he'll come back after the generation has run its course.

Sure, and thats fair but also think of the whole way this is presented to US, the consumer. Sakurai is arguably presented as the "be all end all" of this franchise, why? Because for one the team assigned to the project is being kept in secret and #2, its easier for the consumer to relate one game to one person. Mario to Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi with Metroid, Iwata with Kirby ... Sakurai has become synanimous with Smash, whether e likes it or not, really. I could very well see Sakurai naming somebody as HIS successor after this whole ordeal is done, for us its hard to tell because the only man we know that works on the game is THIS ONE GUY, Sakurai .. so really well have to wait and see.

Also, so what if he leaves? Sure the game may be worse, but itll still sell a shitload, I mean just look at Mario Party 8, subpar game but damn its outselling all the previous ones. Were hardcore and would be saddened if people we respect werent invoved in the game, but the general audience has no fucking clue and they will buy Smash just based on the fact that they liked the previous one.

Christopher

Raging Spaniard said:
Sure, and thats fair but also think of the whole way this is presented to US, the consumer. Sakurai is arguably presented as the "be all end all" of this franchise, why? Because for one the team assigned to the project is being kept in secret and #2, its easier for the consumer to relate one game to one person. Mario to Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi with Metroid, Iwata with Kirby ... Sakurai has become synanimous with Smash, whether e likes it or not, really. I could very well see Sakurai naming somebody as HIS successor after this whole ordeal is done, for us its hard to tell because the only man we know that works on the game is THIS ONE GUY, Sakurai .. so really well have to wait and see.

Also, so what if he leaves? Sure the game may be worse, but itll still sell a shitload, I mean just look at Mario Party 8, subpar game but damn its outselling all the previous ones. Were hardcore and would be saddened if people we respect werent invoved in the game, but the general audience has no fucking clue and they will buy Smash just based on the fact that they liked the previous one.

:lol exactly when he leaves they'll just hype someone else up that's all.

Zeed

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Iwata with Kirby
Buh? I never see anyone attributing Kirby's creation to Iwata. Just as Miyamoto is known most famously for Zelda and Mario, so is Sakurai known for Kirby and Smash.

I could very well see Sakurai naming somebody as HIS successor after this whole ordeal is done
The thing is this isn't like ancient Rome where you could dump oil on a guy's head and call him the new leader. Miyamoto prepared Aonuma for the takeover by making him assistant director. Unless there is a super secret assistant director to Brawl (unlikely because they would want to give the successor as much exposure as possible to prepare us for the shift) then Smash will still be Sakurai's baby alone. You can't hype someone who has never been in the cockpit. If there were a successor, we'd have seen him by now.

Also, so what if he leaves? Sure the game may be worse, but itll still sell a shitload, I mean just look at Mario Party 8, subpar game but damn its outselling all the previous ones.
There are cow franchises and real franchises. Mario Party is a cow franchise good only for milking - and Nintendo does so shamelessly. However Smash is Nintendo's heaviest hitter, the Gamecube's Halo, if you will. A lot of that is due to the fact that it really is an excellent game that tons of people can enjoy - Nintendo is not so stupid as to let the quality slide in Smash.

Firestorm

I would really say that Sakurai has more to do with Brawl than Miyamoto has to do with ANYTHING since OoT. Or even OoT. That said, I believe Sakurai probably has someone on the Brawl team in mind to direct the next Smash game.

Anyway, great to see people are still fighting hard during the day ^_^

Raging Spaniard said:
:lol if you think Nintendo will not make any more Smash Bros. games after this one, yeah ;lets pass up on MILLIONS of dollars worldwide just because the creator doesnt want to make them anymore.

Well, Nintendo passed on millions of Dollars by not making a SSBM-successor on GCN. And it would have been another multi-million seller.

I see a SSB DS coming, based on SSB64, and then a SSB for the NDS-successor based on SSBM or SSBB. But im not so sure about a real SSBB-successor. I can see a minor HD-update once the Wii Too arrives. But looking at all the stuff there doesnt seem to be enough content for a truly outstanding sSBB-successor.

As for today´s update, i predict uber-lameness like Meta Knights or Kirbys special-moves, mild lameness like Mate Knights final smash, or
Ridley as playable character.

Raging Spaniard

MasterMFauli said:
Well, Nintendo passed on millions of Dollars by not making a SSBM-successor on GCN. And it would have been another multi-million seller.

I see a SSB DS coming, based on SSB64, and then a SSB for the NDS-successor based on SSBM or SSBB. But im not so sure about a real SSBB-successor. I can see a minor HD-update once the Wii Too arrives. But looking at all the stuff there doesnt seem to be enough content for a truly outstanding sSBB-successor.

As for today´s update, i predict uber-lameness like Meta Knights or Kirbys special-moves, mild lameness like Mate Knights final smash, or
Ridley as playable character.

Well I used to think there was no way Melee could be made any better, and now look where we are ... I mean, based on your logic why didnt Nintendo make sequels to Sunshine and Kart on GC? Nintendo is good about giving franchises the time they need ... most of the time.

And Zeed, right on .. but did anybody really know about Aonuma when Ocarina was being made? Over at Nintendo, sure, but the consumer? No fucking clue. Or maybe is cause I lived in France at the time and I was too busy being angry all the time.

Well, to be honestly:

SSBB IS a minor update to SSBM.
Most old characters seem to have their old moves, and the whole gameplay doesnt change, too. What´s so significant great is all the new content.
But look, SSBB uses all the awsome content there is. Pit, Meta Knight, etc.. A fleshed-out adventure mode. Perhaps online.

A next SSB hasnt that much of historical content to begin with. And yeah, there might still be quite some content, but nothing as important as what we´re getting at the moment.

Allen

Such GAF-centric opinion here. I’d estimate a small minority of people care about a games creator. Games are not related to books or film in this case.

Raging Spaniard

MasterMFauli said:
Well, to be honestly:

Most old characters seem to have their old moves, and the whole gameplay doesnt change, too. What´s so significant great is all the new content.
But look, SSBB uses all the awsome content there is. Pit, Meta Knight, etc.. A fleshed-out adventure mode. Perhaps online.

A next SSB hasnt that much of historical content to begin with. And yeah, there might still be quite some content, but nothing as important as what we´re getting at the moment.

Yeah but dude, its a fighting game, the statue of limitations on innovation is different for this genre.

Youre lucky to get more than 3 new characters (looks at Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, KoF...)

Zeed

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
By what standards? Gameplay? We haven't touched it yet, so we can't tell if there are any significant changes (Sakurai mentioned he wanted to expand aerial combat), and in nearly every other way that matters SSBB has major updates oozing out of every pore. The graphics show perhaps the biggest leap from Gamecube to Wii of any franchise thus far, the roster is being vastly expanded, third party characters have been introduced, there are new items, a fleshed out single player complete with cinematics, a freaking all-star composer list, Final Smashes, brand new stages, etc.

Madden gets what I would call minor updates. The term just doesn't do Brawl justice.

Allen said:
Such GAF-centric opinion here. I’d estimate a small minority of people care about a games creator. Games are not related to books or film in this case.
Some are, such as Earthbound. Which is why it tanked in NA, I suppose.

Anyway I got shit to do, be back by Japan Time if I'm still awake.

Zeed said:
By what standards?

Madden gets what I would call minor updates. The term just doesn't do Brawl justice.

By Nintendo standards, it´s a minor update. ;-)

But Zeed, i welcome your new avtar. So much more beautiful ^^

Firestorm

Allen said:

Will Wright disagrees. In Japan, that guy who makes the Mother series disagrees.

Raging Spaniard

Firestorm said:
Will Wright disagrees. In Japan, that guy who makes the Mother series disagrees.

Go ask "random chick who plays Sims #76589584595" (the core market) whether she knows who Will Wright is, let us know when the awkward moments passes.

Sharp

Raging Spaniard said:
Go ask "random chick who plays Sims #76589584595" (the core market) whether she knows who Will Wright is, let us know when the awkward moments passes.
Maybe she doesn't but she SHOULD.

Every day this thread gets atleast 50 posts about what people predict will be next on the update, and no one is ever right. Doesnt anyone else see this pattern?

Zeed

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
Every day this thread gets atleast 50 posts about what people predict will be next on the update, and no one is ever right. Doesnt anyone else see this pattern?
I was right last night, I predicted a character!

MasterMFauli said:
But Zeed, i welcome your new avtar. So much more beautiful ^^
STFU

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
MasterMFauli said:
Well, to be honestly:

Eh, Brawl is going to play RADICALLY different from Melee. I think you're overlooking some of the gameplay tweaks.

Jumping off of other characters?
Gliding characters?
More fleshed out use of tether recoveries?

Those three simple gameplay changes alone will dramatically alter the way individual matches play out, let alone all the other additions and changes, like the way the dynamics of Final Smashes and Assist Trophies will change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom