• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Holy shit...AWESOME. I think after Strikers went quite well online in terms of lag etc, they figured they could pull it off. Great news.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Bossman said:
It's pretty stupid that you can't see the names of the random people or send them messages.

The thing is that random people's names can be things like Cockface and I for one do not want to go against someone named Cockface.

The friends code thing is completely irrelevant to me. I just hope the game plays well online. I don't want it to be some broken lagfest. After all, this is the first Smash game that is going to be online and it's not like Nintendo has tons of experience with this stuff.

big_z

Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play.

fucking lame. they should keep track of stats like mario kart ds did and have leader boards. the whole friend code shit needs to stop.

Um. Anyone else kind of angry that you can't keep records of wins/losses online and or send someone a message to add as a friend if you enjoyed the battle...?

I mean not trying to split hairs here. But it seems kind of lame. I mean really, "protecting kids" is kinding of ruining the experience, if I play someone I want it to say: (Crushdance: wins: 1, Losses: 1) or whatever, there's no reason not to keep stats in random brawls. And you can't even have a "players met" option?

wtf.

Online is good though.

O wow, there ´really will be online. I really did not believe in that. Pretty cool!

Not that interested in online play but there is no harm in having it. This game will be a classic. No doubt in my mind.

WindyMan

3982f588e3a97b4fb65f691db12d0e915ae.gif
This is the most appropriate gif that GAF has ever posted in a thread, past, present, and future.

Also, about fvckin' time.

fusoya59

big_z said:
Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play.

fucking lame. they should keep track of stats like mario kart ds did and have leader boards. the whole friend code shit needs to stop.
One can hope that there's a Ladder Mode that allows rankings and such. He did mention MULTIPLE modes after all.

sphinx

the piano man
keeping things cool and all, I don't think there is a bigger fucking game this year, there just is NOT.

this is like the biggest dream of any nintendo fan.

Dualist

Banned
big_z said:

But those stats in MKDS was ruined by snaking. Anyway, glad this is a sit back and play game, instead of people trying to find ways to cheat.

Haunted

Going by my experience with Strikers and considering the popularity of Smash Brothers... I fully expect the online servers to be fucked for two weeks straight after release. >_< :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Sweet, pretty awesome...

but to be honest (PLEASE DONT HATE ME GAF!)

I really dont care... I enjoy multiplayer-in-room so much more...

I havent even taken my Mario Strikers online yet >.< I prefer playing the cup with 4 friends, so much fun to be had through that :D

Was there really NO one here who was just planning on a weekend of binge drinking and smash playing? Through all the bitching about no online announced...

this one just isnt a megaton for me... but PRETTY awesome none the less

Ill be honest the song selection one is what I consider the biggest announcement in the game :lol

Haunted One said:
Going by my experience with Strikers and considering the popularity of Smash Brothers... I fully expect the online servers to be fucked for two weeks straight after release. >_< :lol
I'm sure Nintendo can put up adequate servers for the game. Do we even know if it'll be through them or console to console?

CrushDance said:
Um. Anyone else kind of angry that you can't keep records of wins/losses online and or send someone a message to add as a friend if you enjoyed the battle...?

We know but that's the whole point about friendcodes: No communication with strangers. Everyone knew it would be like that.

The no-names-thing on the other hand is a downgrade, really... Could as well play vs. the computer.

santouras

please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends, please announce voice chat between friends.....

FUCK YEAH! GOTY CONFIRMED!

I &#9829; Sakurai

I just had to get that out of my system. :D

If this game came out tomorrow I probably wouldn't need to buy another game for the rest of the year and then some.

There has to be a tournament online mode. Sakurai knows that many play the game competitively and if Mario Strikes can have it, why not Smash Bros, their biggest franchise?

He said "multiple online modes" so...

Link Man

Banned
"And Sakurai descended from the heavens, and said, "Let there be online Smash Bros." And there was much rejoicing across the internet, and feasting upon Doritos and stale beer."

Haunted One said:

Sure this game is going to start a solid OnLine community on Wii. Friends Codes of not. What matters more is that this game is going to sell for a long time and likely it will drive Wii's sales (even if this is not necessary). So, the OnLine community will be enlarged and renoved during time.

The only BAD thing is that this game will come in Europe nly the next year ! Stupid NOE...

PkunkFury

It'd be nice if they have a ladder mode as well. That way dicks who want to exploit the game will stay in the ranked section, and people who just want to play will stay in the unranked

Scribble

AND he has more wifi plans for us! (Could this mean downloadable characters?)

Sakurai and the Smash Team I love you soodasdasdasd0asdfopasfprwpr2 much!

fernoca

lsslave said:
I really dont care... I enjoy multiplayer-in-room so much more...

I havent even taken my Mario Strikers online yet >.< I prefer playing the cup with 4 friends, so much fun to be had through that :D

Was there really NO one here who was just planning on a weekend of binge drinking and smash playing? Through all the bitching about no online announced...
That's the thing. :p
You can still play with your friends offline and plan weekends..
Online is just an additional mode or those who have friends that don't live that close and barely see each other because of work(s), college, plus distance.

Haunted One said:

you would think knowing these big games are coming Nintendo would use some of that McDuck money to secure more networks

later

How can we be certain that we aren't just playing against bots when we choose the no friends option? It may just all be a conspiracy!

Lobster

Banned
Dualist said:
But those stats in MKDS was ruined by snaking. Anyway, glad this is a sit back and play game, instead of people trying to find ways to cheat.

Are there any possible ways to cheat in SSB other then people hate Ice Climbers and calling them "cheats"?

Darkpen

Banned
As happy as I am that there's multiplayer online, I'm a little disappointed that we won't be able to see people's names, let alone any sort of indication of their personal selves.

The one thing I loved about Mario Kart DS was being able to show off your name and your skill/ranking. To know that records won't be kept is disappointing as well. Kind of just makes the fighting mindless.

And while I'm sure this wouldn't fit into the world of SSB, I really liked having custom emblems in MKDS. Here's the hoping for custom emblems in MKWii.

Haunted

Co-Op for that adventure mode is probably one of them.
:O oh snaps!

titiklabingapat said:
There has to be a tournament online mode. Sakurai knows that many play the game competitively and if Mario Strikes can have it, why not Smash Bros, their biggest franchise?

He said "multiple online modes" so...
Strikers doesn't have a tournament mode.

Insaniac

later said:
How can we be certain that we aren't just playing against bots when we choose the no friends option? It may just all be a conspiracy!

omg! but i could care less. Wifi play between friends is what i really wanted.

I can't blame Nintendo for NOT ditching friend codes. The racist, immature, mind numbing garbage that goes on in Xbox Live is reason enough for them to stick with friend codes.

Jiggy

Haunted One said:
I kind of expect Smash to have like twenty times better servers.
I mean, Nintendo's gone so all out in every other way--bringing Sakurai in, letting him go commission 36 video game composers, letting him have this Smash Bros site that gets loads of hits while making no profit yet still updates five days a week and is translated into five non-Japanese languages--that I have a hard time thinking they'll skimp on this one all-important thing.

Scribble said:
AND he has more wifi plans for us! (Could this mean downloadable characters?)
Let's just say Nintendo Europe may or may not have any idea what it's talking about, and hope for the best.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dualist said:
But those stats in MKDS was ruined by lamers disconneting. Anyway, glad this is a sit back and play game, instead of people trying to find ways to cheat.

Fixed. Anyway you were going to bitch about people who wawedashing saying they cheat...

GAME OF THE FOREVER!!!!

Anyway, it was obvious: Sakurai is not so dumb to not put an Online mode in a game like Smash. I wonder if this was the famous megaton that Reggie was talking aout at E3.... Probably it is, but who knows ?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Pretty awesome, but the 64 friend cap kind of limits the GAF interaction. There will likely be way more than 64 people playing here.

Here's hoping for a ranked mode too.

Jiggy37 said:
I mean, Nintendo's gone so all out in every other way--bringing Sakurai in, letting him go commission 36 video game composers, letting him have this Smash Bros site that gets loads of hits while making no profit yet still updates five days a week and is translated into five non-Japanese languages--that I have a hard time thinking they'll skimp on this one all-important thing.
It was brought up before with the costs of translating with no profits, I don't think that matters to Nintendo: the blog technically falls under marketing.

Haunted

Jiggy37 said:
Man, how much I hope you're right.

Jiggy37 said:
NOE said:
At E3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl's designer Masahiro Sakurai announced that the game will include Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection gameplay but no specifics have yet been revealed, and it will also likely feature four-player VS play but other options are being considered - including the possibility that more characters could be added.
:O :O :O :O :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom