• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
beef3483 said:
But Snake being in Brawl will help MGS4 (and by extention PS3) more than it will help SSBB and the Wii. I just really think that Nintendo got raked over the coals on this one.

How is it going to help MGS4 sell? Really it's impact can not be all that great; if you know who Snake is it's not going to change your opinion on MGS, and if you don't know who he is why would you suddenly go buy a PS3 to play his game?

TheGreatDave said:
How is it going to help MGS4 sell? Really it's impact can not be all that great; if you know who Snake is it's not going to change your opinion on MGS, and if you don't know who he is why would you suddenly go buy a PS3 to play his game?

Agreed. And if Snake in Brawl is somehow going to help MGS4 sell, then I expect it to help Brawl sell as well.

usea

beef3483 said:
But Snake being in Brawl will help MGS4 (and by extention PS3) more than it will help SSBB and the Wii. I just really think that Nintendo got raked over the coals on this one.
You should drop a line to nintendo and let them know that they could use your advice in matters of business.

Tenbatsu

gimz said:
snake_070921c-l.jpg

badass, i look forward seeing him using this move to Bowser, and Kirby :lol

Haha, Kirby expression will be cute!:D

beef3483

TheGreatDave said:

Think about some of the videogame icons in Brawl. Mario, Zelda, and Samus among others. By putting Snake in Brawl, Nintendo is promoting Snakes image as a legendary videogame character(which in terms of gamer mindshare, he just might be). That definately can't be a bad thing for MGS4.

And Snake is a character who far and away has helped promote the Playstation brand more than any other over the last ten years. MGS2 was billed as a reason to buy a PS2 and MGS4 is being billed as the reason to own a PS3.

As a MGS fan I love this, but from a business perspective the deal seems awfully lopsided.

usea said:
You should drop a line to nintendo and let them know that they could use your advice in matters of business.

The point was to encourage thougtful discussion, but your snark was duly noted
and soon forgotten.

Jiggy

Alkaliine said:
Awesome! Thanks so much for doing that, i think that will help a lot of people.

Looks like we should expect a final smash very soon, probably on Monday, and also a Boss sometime soon.
I actually keep records of the update types anyway, so I had them on hand. :D I wouldn't count on a boss, though... It's not really an official update type yet, just something I added since it seemed like it might have potential.

Also, here are the most recent dates of updates going by series:

F-Zero - 7-2, Samurai Goroh (assist)
Metroid - 7-19, Zero Suit Samus
Mother - 8-10, Franklin Badge
Legend of Zelda - 8-20, Link's moves
Animal Crossing - 8-23, Go K.K. Rider! (music)
Yoshi - 8-23, Yoshi's final smash
Star Fox - 8-28, Andross (assist)
Wario - 8-31, Wario Ware (stage)
Donkey Kong - 9-3, Diddy Kong's moves
Kid Icarus - 9-3, Pit's Descent movie
Fire Emblem - 9-11, Lyn (assist)
Kirby - 9-12, Battleship Halberd
Ice Climbers - 9-14, Ice Climbers
Mario - 9-17, Golden Hammer
Pokemon - 9-20, Piplup (Poke Ball)
Metal Gear - 9-21, Snake profile/MGS4 Love Theme/Snake's moves

We're way overdue on F-Zero and Metroid content. But it's worth mentioning that Metroid has had four updates (Ridley music, Samus, her final smash, and ZSS) while F-Zero and Mother have only had one each.

PolyGone

Banned
beef3483 said:
As a MGS fan I love this, but from a business perspective the deal seems awfully lopsided.

well, Nintendo could use a little more lopsided business deals to help secure content from companies like Konami.

But it would have been way cooler imo if they had gotten Django & Sabata from the Boktai games, since that is an IP on Nintendo platforms only.

Eh, that works in both directions beef. And since the Wii is much cheaper than the Ps3 I actually think Snake being in Brawl will benefit Nintendo more than hurt it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
beef3483 said:

It's the PS3... that's like the GOP and Democrats worrying about the Green Party candidate.

Jiggy37 said:
I actually keep records of the update types anyway, so I had them on hand. :D I wouldn't count on a boss, though... It's not really an official update type yet, just something I added since it seemed like it might have potential.

Also, here are the most recent dates of updates going by series:

F-Zero - 7-2, Samurai Goroh (assist)
Metroid - 7-19, Zero Suit Samus
Mother - 8-10, Franklin Badge
Legend of Zelda - 8-20, Link's moves
Animal Crossing - 8-23, Go K.K. Rider! (music)
Yoshi - 8-23, Yoshi's final smash
Star Fox - 8-28, Andross (assist)
Wario - 8-31, Wario Ware (stage)
Donkey Kong - 9-3, Diddy Kong's moves
Kid Icarus - 9-3, Pit's Descent movie
Fire Emblem - 9-11, Lyn (assist)
Kirby - 9-12, Battleship Halberd
Ice Climbers - 9-14, Ice Climbers
Mario - 9-17, Golden Hammer
Pokemon - 9-20, Piplup (Poke Ball)
Metal Gear - 9-21, Snake profile/MGS4 Love Theme/Snake's moves

We're way overdue on F-Zero and Metroid content. But it's worth mentioning that Metroid has had four updates (Ridley music, Samus, her final smash, and ZSS) while F-Zero and Mother have only had one each.

I thought we would get more Metroid stuff during that Corruption week, but nope.

I'm really interested in seeing what's in store for Metroid in this game. I really want to see better stage design this time around - less Brinstar and more stuff like Sanctuary Fortress or Norfair.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DavidDayton said:
It's the PS3... that's like the GOP and Democrats worrying about the Green Party candidate.

Who knows, it could be 1992 all over again. The question that truly matters is who is going to be the one to threaten Sony's daughter's wedding to get them out of the race?

beef3483

LegendofJoe said:
Eh, that works in both directions beef. And since the Wii is much cheaper than the Ps3 I actually think Snake being in Brawl will benefit Nintendo more than hurt it.

It's debateable (no pun intended). But the one entity this hurts in no way is Konami. Meanwhile, the two biggest games they've released or announced are Elebits and Dewy. All personal accounts are that these are good games, but in no way are they system sellers of MGS caliber. You would think that for such a gracious favor Konami would increase thier support a little bit.

Haunted

Well, the Snake update is rather surprising...

There are three ways to read this...
1) Snake is an exception to the 'hidden/unlockable character' rule because he was already announced for the game.
2) Snake is a starting character after all.
3) They are showing hidden/unlockables before the game releases
MARIO KART STAGE IS NEXT BABY!

I'm betting on 1)

Darkpen said:
:lol :lol well done.

important edit: Shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh!

Jiggy

I remember that the first time I heard the Hyrule Temple theme in SSBM (keeping in mind that I'd never played Zelda II), I thought it sounded like something from James Bond.

And on that note, I'm out of here because it's way too late. And thanks for the upload, SolidSnakex. :D

Jiggy37 said:
I remember that the first time I heard the Hyrule Temple theme in SSBM (keeping in mind that I'd never played Zelda II), I thought it sounded like something from James Bond.

And on that note, I'm out of here because it's way too late. And thanks for the upload, SolidSnakex. :D

That reminds me, I can't wait to hear the Dark World theme in Brawl.

Haunted

:O stealth thread title change!

just caught up reading the last few pages of the thread - one more comment.
FlightOfHeaven said:
It's sad that one website can totally own TGS.

WiFi before and Snake after, what a deadly sandwich.
TGwhat? :D

NeonZ

1) Snake is an exception to the 'hidden/unlockable character' rule because he was already announced for the game.
2) Snake is a starting character after all.
3) They are showing hidden/unlockables before the game releases MARIO KART STAGE IS NEXT BABY!

I think it's #2. If Snake was supposed to be an unlockable, it'd have been mentioned somewhere in this update.
His icon probably would be separated from the other newcomers in the character section too.

VonGak!

Banned
Darkpen said:
Here's my edit D:

yorick-edited.jpg

:lol

---

Heh Solid is actually the one I want to play the least in this game though they seem to have captured him very well while still being able to make him fit with the Nintendo universe.

Haunted

Talking about icons.. No. 13 must be a returning character... is Game & Watch the only franchise not yet covered? Fuck yes!

I predict Peach's Final Smash as the next update, btw.

NeonZ said:
I think it's #2. If Snake was supposed to be an unlockable, it'd have been mentioned somewhere in this update.
Certainly possible.

usea

beef3483 said:
The point was to encourage thougtful discussion, but your snark was duly noted
My point was the same as yours. There is absolutely no way any of us can have even a fraction of the necessary information to begin to call intra-company business deals one-sided or silly or whatever else.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you know he doesn't actually say 'i knew him well' -- he says 'i knew him, horatio'

i suppose this 'i knew him well' thing was introduced by actors performing that speech a la carte

Darkpen

Banned
VonGak! said:
Heh Solid is actually the one I want to play the least in this game though they seem to have captured him very well while still being able to make him fit with the Nintendo universe.
I'm rather curious about how he'll play exactly, and I have to agree that he's probably someone I would least use if I were not an MGS fanboy. If anything, its going to be fun re-learning everyone.

I predict that for the first few years, people will play as anyone and everyone, but near the end of the Wii's lifetime, much like Melee, people will have fallen into a niche character of some kind and stuck with it.

What I wonder is how many people imagine they might change who they use in Brawl, in comparison to Melee. Personally, I used to use Samus back on the N64, but was shown the power and speed of Pikachu, and while I played with Roy and Falco on Melee, I eventually fell back on Pikachu again.

Which makes me wonder exactly how alien this game will be to hardcore Melee fans. I remember how alien Melee was to SSB, especially considering it was my first Gamecube game. However, while the graphical leap this time won't be as big, so many things have changed that it may just feel refreshing to play yet again.

Darkpen

Banned
drohne said:
you know he doesn't actually say 'i knew him well' -- he says 'i knew him, horatio'

i suppose this 'i knew him well' thing was introduced by actors performing that speech a la carte
D:

D:

DISCLAIMER: I didn't make the text

turk128 said:
Snake Eater anyone?
6hf6hc8.gif
That's so awesome. Isn't that that one character from Disgaea? Where did you find that animation/who made that animation?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
drohne said:

Or folks trying to quote without having read the play? I suppose it could be a misunderstanding from a viewing, though.

Now I'm curious as to when the first use "I knew him well" was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom