• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:
So guys, as I'm compiling the statistics for tonight, should I count this as a megaton? My heart says yes, but I'm trying to be objective and only count things that the group generally agrees are huge news. (Hence why I don't count, say, Ike or Pokemon Trainer as a megaton even though they're big in my own eyes.)
I'd say Ike and Pokemon Trainer were bigger than this

Firestorm

Jiggy, this isn't a megaton as we had Photo Mode in SSBM. It's just this allows us to do it whenever paused. But think about it, how will we use this in the middle of a match? Competitively, you would be disqualified. Casually, well, your friends would kill you.

ShockingAlberto said:
So, what's the last thing people wanted? A level editor?

I don't care at all about a level editor. Give me my Video Mode. Something like the Theatre in Halo 3.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
To me, the biggest megaton thus far was Lucas. At least, that's what my inner Mother fanboy (which is very close to the surface) is telling me.

ShockingAlberto said:
So, what's the last thing people wanted? A level editor?

hmmm...

I would actually like an insane mode game type where you go through every level without stopping and only at the end your score is tallied.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The only game-mode I really want at this point is a Stamina mode where you can actually change the amount of HP you get.

NotWii

Banned
Firestorm said:
Jiggy, this isn't a megaton as we had Photo Mode in SSBM. It's just this allows us to do it whenever paused. But think about it, how will we use this in the middle of a match? Competitively, you would be disqualified. Casually, well, your friends would kill you.

I don't care at all about a level editor. Give me my Video Mode. Something like the Theatre in Halo 3.
Totally agreed.

I wanted those things for SSBM.

mugwhump

mugwhump said:
This is what I really, really, REALLY want. Now we've got online and coop, it's at the top of my wishlist. I'm already predicting we can take pictures anytime we pause the game (based on the fact that that camera mode's missing from special melee.)
FUCK YEAH. I'm the bomb. I'll probably spend like 20% of my time taking pictures. :lol
And it seems the L/R buttons let us tilt the camera. Interesting.

Oh, and the blurred-out option is picture editing.

Jiggy

I'll explain my reasoning on megatons in a moment, but first this...

Stats of the day

-"New Launch and E For All" is the 3rd notice update. These are the least frequent types of updates other than character movies--of which there have only been two. The number of total notices on the site actually tripled in these past three days.

-"Taking Snapshots" is the 8th game mode update. For reference, others have been Tourney mode, Trophies, Wi-Fi Play, Special Brawl, Stickers, Names, and Four Kinds of Control.

Week in review

-There were two updates of moves, two movies (one as a notice), two pieces of music, a final smash, a character profile, and a game mode.

-Three out of the five days had double updates or better; at least one of the five days had a triple update, and you might say that two did if you count the Cooking Navi music. (I don't.)
By comparison, last week had two double updates. The week before that had zero double updates; the week before that had one triple update (Snake/MGS4 music/Snake's moves); the week before that had zero double updates. If you want to hope that update frequency is increasing, you just might be right. Let's not try to pull too much information out of here, though.

-The new five least recent update types are (from least recent to fifth less recent) item, Poke Ball, stage, assist trophy, and Smash 101/techniques (counted as a single category). As you can see, we're overdue on all three item types, so watch out--the lame is coming soon enough.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
_Rafa_ said:
who's next? Rayman? Megaman? Dante? Casltevania guy? Crash?
I'd love to see dante in brawl. If Ni9ntendo use any more third party characters, I want it to be dante. He's the third party character I wanted the most along with snake.

I hope that hidden thing sends them to a Smash Bros official community website where you can upload and vote on pics, and the best snapshot every week gets a prize (maybe Wii Points or a special character/item/sticker/trophy unlock).

Interesting week for sure, on one hand we get Sonic confirmed (+ the other confirms from playable demo), but with the delay, its a weak ending to a possible Weekaton. Oh well, here's to when Megaman, Jiggly, The Knee, and Ness all get announced in the same week.

Edit: The only upside of today's update is that it has spawned only 2 pages (so far), so I think it's safe to me to go to bed now (first time i've slept before 6:30am this entire week). G'night.

NotWii

Banned
Android18a said:
I hope that hidden thing sends them to a Smash Bros official community website where you can upload and vote on pics, and the best snapshot every week gets a prize (maybe Wii Points or a special character/item/sticker/trophy unlock).
SSBB would really benefit from this, but Nintendo aren't very good at all this online mumbo jumbo.

Something like this would be great: http://stats.enemyterritory.com/profile/meowmeow
Along with the picture stuff and other stuff.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GG-Duo said:
what does he mean by that 'the problem is Sonic' thing?
It's a joke. He is probably refering to whether he should have a 3rd party (mostly likely unlockable) character in only a demo

Jiggy

Okay, about my reasoning on megatons... The only ones I've counted so far are these: The Musicians, Four Kinds of Control, assist trophies, Subspace Emissary, My Music, Wi-Fi play, co-op, and Sonic.

The main criterion I'm trying to use for judging this, other than general consensus, is that a megaton has to either 1) significantly change the appeal of the game for a large audience, or 2) have a hand in improving SSBB for anybody who plays it.

Generally speaking, I would never say that a final smash, special moves, stage, individual assist trophy, item, Poke Ball, or individual piece of music could qualify as a megaton--they're too easy for players to either skip over, miss entirely, or just not care about. Character movies are fleeting and don't have wide-reaching implications, even though they're awesome for a moment. Techniques will make an impact on every player, but it's hard to figure out the relevance of gliding or footstool jumps, or anything else before getting a hands-on feel for them.

That leaves character profiles, game modes, and story mode updates as possible megatons. Game modes and story mode updates don't really need explanation since they affect the game on such a fundamental level, so let me just say what I think about characters...

They're very unlikely megatons to me. They won't improve SSBB for every player of the game (some people will stick to one or two characters), so the only question is whether the character can, on his/her own, significantly increase the appeal.
Ike can't do that; neither can Diddy Kong or Lucas. Sonic can and has, so I count him as a megaton. (Snake also has, but he was known before the Dojo, so his profile wasn't a megaton.) That leaves Pokemon Trainer... I could kind of see where he might qualify and why people are arguing for him. He doesn't shake the foundations of the game, but there's some obvious and very widespread appeal to the original Pokemon starter trio. I'll think about counting him from here on out.

And with all that, which hopefully makes sense, I'm going to sleep. >_> What an insane week of ups and downs in the gaming world...

kamikaze

Firestorm said:
But think about it, how will we use this in the middle of a match? Competitively, you would be disqualified. Casually, well, your friends would kill you.

you and your friends need to relax a little. :D for serious competition, yeah, this is useless but you never play with friends for fun?

my friends and i usually mess around with fun characters trying to do flashy things for awhile before any serious smashing begins. for those sorts of casual fights, this feature will be great.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey, Sakurai apologised to us all. Somehow I can't think how anyone can be in a state of raging fury after that. How can you be mad at a face like that, bless 'im!

(Of course doesn't effect us Yerps but that's neither here nor there.)

Also the snapshot mode looks excellent! I'm glad they're throwing online functionality into it, that should increase the longevity of this game. Plus you can transfer them to PC on the SD card, so plenty of chances for
Crushed to flog us to death with multiple screenshot capture joke posts
creating funny screenshots for websites and the like.

Lobster

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Hey, Sakurai apologised to us all. Somehow I can't think how anyone can be in a state of raging fury after that. How can you be mad at a face like that, bless 'im!

(Of course doesn't effect us Yerps but that's neither here nor there.)

Also the snapshot mode looks excellent! I'm glad they're throwing online functionality into it, that should increase the longevity of this game. Plus you can transfer them to PC on the SD card, so plenty of chances for
Crushed to flog us to death with multiple screenshot capture joke posts
creating funny screenshots for websites and the like.

He could've said "You fuckers didn't cheer at E3! I'll show you guys!" and the website guy just writes "sorry"

ShockingAlberto said:
picture
Link has seen Zero Suit Samus and now his motivation to rescue Zelda is a little less powerful.

Am I sad for immediately thinking of this?

zelda.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Nobody will believe me, but i was actually thinking of a photomode in the last few days and was gonna post it. Oh well.

But instead of the pause thing during a match this should allow replay. Just like Gran Turismo etc...

psycho_snake

Raw64life said:
I wonder if they'll keep updating until February now or just stop in December.
Well the delay might be because sakurai wants to add quite a bit more to this game, so there's a possibility that the updates could carry on til february.

psycho_snake

Iam Canadian said:
The thing about Final Fantasy, though, is that no one character represents the franchise as whole. Cloud may be famous, yes, but he only represents one Final Fantasy game and its myriad of crappy spinoffs. Cecil is only in one Final Fantasy game. Sadly, so is Terra. The only elements that really carry over the whole series are the classes (Black Mage, Knight...), the Moogles and Chocobos, and various monsters. So I think it's far more likely that a generic class or a Moogle will be a Smash Bros. character if we get a Square character at all.
The problem with using mage, chocobo or a moogle is that it wouold be difficult to make an original moveset for them because they're not so heavily involved in the FF games. If Nintendo did decide to include one of those three, then best thing to do is to make them into assist characters.

Mojojo

looks like it was a hassle just to get two characters from other game companies, so is it a safe bet to think it will stop to sonic and snake for guests? Still hoping secretly for Slime from DQ and a Capcom character :_(

ElFly

I wonder if the delay will mean more updates after december 3. Maybe they only had scheduled so many blog posts.

It would be sad to go through most december, january and the start of february dojo-less :(

2007 is ruined. ;(

I'm so gutted, agh this feels like the Twilight Princess delay scale of my disappointment again.

There's just something about getting a game before Xmas, feels more special. >_<

Of course its still gonna be GAME OF THE FOREVER!!! But I have to admit I'm so gutted, I just wanted it so bad... Feb is sooo far away. ;(

psycho_snake said:
The problem with using mage, chocobo or a moogle is that it wouold be difficult to make an original moveset for them because they're not so heavily involved in the FF games. If Nintendo did decide to include one of those three, then best thing to do is to make them into assist characters.

It would be extremely easy to make a moveset based on Black Mage or White Mage.

Teasel

psycho_snake said:
and you think making a moveset for c.falcon (which is a pilot) was easy?

AniHawk

Conrad Link said:
2007 is ruined. ;(

I'm so gutted, agh this feels like the Twilight Princess delay scale of my disappointment again.

It really doesn't matter much to me. TP was a YEAR, and Brawl is 2 months. And between that time, we're getting IntSys love.

Completely off topic, but I would shit myself if the song "Rumbling HWY" from Sonic Adventure 2 was in this game. It's my all time favorite Sonic song of any series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pfNiBp-0o

Also: I wouldn't want "Black Mage" or "White Mage" in this game. Just a personal thing, I don't like the idea of generic characters with label-names in this game. (i.e. "Goomba" or "Koopa Troopa")

In fact I'm still a little steamed that they called Red "Pokemon Trainer" instead've "Red"... which is actually his name in the first-party canon (Silver/Gold).

Lobster

Banned
shaft said:
There HAS to be a SquarEnix Character in smash bros. Nintendo and SE are brothers again, look at all of the SE games for DS and Wii.

If the Crystal Chronicles Wii game was out maybe they could have had him in it.

Borys

Banned
Haunted One said:
wow

and I mean the bad kind of wow.

oh jeez, I'm no better. :lol

Here's to Brawl and the next 30.000 posts!

Off-topic but why did you change your avatar :( It's probably the same character but now I find it harder to enjoy your posts :(

Sucks about the delay. But now at least we won't have to debate which will be GOTY between Galaxy and Brawl any longer! :lol

Galaxy 2007 GOTY
Brawl 2008 GOTY

:D

Also nice to see the photo taking giving a nice update for Brawl!

shaft said:
There HAS to be a SquarEnix Character in smash bros. Nintendo and SE are brothers again, look at all of the SE games for DS and Wii.

Personally, I think the third 3rd party character is going to be Capcom based, because I think Monster Hunter 3 came with the deal. A swap if you will. So I'm betting Mega Man.

However, I do think Square/Enix to be a likely choice. Both are together now, and both only supported Nintendo in the 16 bit age. The fact that they are one company broadens the aspects of their probably one entrant into Brawl.

So, if I had to choose, we will either get a 12 character to push Reverent Wing, an FFTA2 character to push that game, or we will get Black Mage because, the Black Mage is very recognizable.

From Enix? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom