• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravidrath said:
I think the bullets on the back of the box will have to be reversed, like, into "features not in this game".

...And now I can't think of any.
That is so true! :lol

Over two million views for this thread! Yay GAF! :D

I'm hoping you can choose custom stages for online matches. If so, would your opponents also have to have the stage already? This would only make sense, right?

Eteric Rice

Koomaster said:
I guess you can't fill up the whole screen with blocks. But look how much space a piece of ladder takes (the small sliver of pink in that bar). I don't think we're really going to have to worry about limitations.

Probably there to limit you from lagging the game to hell.

Insaniac said:
quick question was the e for all demo 60 fps?

I believe so.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I had a horrible dream that today's update was Rattata, and Hitokage locked the thread out of disappointment.

INSTEAD I WAKE UP TO LEVEL CREATOR, WI-FI LEVEL SHARING, SUBMITTING OF SNAPSHOTS AND LEVELS TO NINTENDO FOR DAILY NEW CONTENT, AND BRAMBLE MOTHER FUCKING BLAST MUSIC

GamerSoul

Koomaster said:
I guess you can't fill up the whole screen with blocks. But look how much space a piece of ladder takes (the small sliver of pink in that bar). I don't think we're really going to have to worry about limitations.

I'm gonna try a New Pork City size stage for kicks.

TheKingsCrown said:
DO NOT Overwhelm the user like they were in Perfect Dark!

Huh ?
I played that like crazy with friends back then and we never felt overwhelmed.
Those menus were a pain in the ass to navigate in at first, but that has nothing to do with the amount of content. We were glad all of that stuff was there.

Enk

makes good threads.
I had a horrible dream that today's update was Rattata, and Hitokage locked the thread out of disappointment.

INSTEAD I WAKE UP TO LEVEL CREATOR, WI-FI LEVEL SHARING, SUBMITTING OF SNAPSHOTS AND LEVELS TO NINTENDO FOR DAILY NEW CONTENT, AND BRAMBLE MOTHER FUCKING BLAST MUSIC

You're still sleeping. Wake up Crushed! Super Mario Bros. 3 is coming out tomorrow and you're late for school!

SovanJedi said:
The problem I have with character creation, I think you just answered in your own post - despite what it may have sounded like my main complaint wasn't entirely to do with balance.

Instead of picking an iconic character in Nintendo's all-star roster and taking the time to go with their strengths and weaknesses and being rewarded by kicking ass with YOUR favourite character, you'll be going with some user-created nobody that is neither charming nor particularly interesting to look that. Being a fanservice game as you say there is a lot to be said about taking a character represented as closely to their actual roots being set upon other characters grounded in their own roots.

I hated it in the latest Mortal Kombat game (Armageddon? I forget the name of it) - whatever you may feel towards the original roster of characters that have been in the game from day one, it feels really horrendously wrong to also have this hideously designed purple/green/lilac monstrosity strutting about using Scorpion's Hookshot, Sub Zero's Freeze attack, Raiden's teleportation etc, even disregarding the balancing issues that such a behemoth would present. It's taking the best bits from characters without BEING those characters. And the largest part of Smash Bros.' appeal is to play as these identities from all the different games, from the most well-known to the most obscure.

Maybe I'm just taking all this too seriously, thinking about it... Eh.

Then you don't have a problem with character creation - you have a problem with lousy character creation.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I don't think that character creation would be appropriate for this game.

The entire premise of this game is getting to play as Nintendo (or a few select third parties now) characters and fight other Nintendo characters. It's a celebration of Nintendo's history. Custom-made characters would take the focus off the Nintendo characters, which would compromise the entire philosophy of the game.

koam

Ravidrath said:
I think the bullets on the back of the box will have to be reversed, like, into "features not in this game".

...And now I can't think of any.

- Create-a-Fighter
- Mp3 support
- Classic stages from past smash bros

That's about it?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
SovanJedi said:
That's tomorrow's update now. Well done Crushed!
But when you scrolled down, it turned out that there was actually a dozen Pokemon updated, each with its own music (???), so everyone bitched at Hitokage to stop sucking at locking threads and TF2 and unlock it.

GamerSoul

Iam Canadian said:
I don't think that character creation would be appropriate for this game.

The entire premise of this game is getting to play as Nintendo (or a few select third parties now) characters and fight other Nintendo characters. It's a celebration of Nintendo's history. Custom-made characters would take the focus off the Nintendo characters, which would compromise the entire philosophy of the game.

I agree, but if they do I can see them putting in creator parts like Samus's Arm Canon, The Master Sword, and Falcons' helmet just to make it more Nintendo.

Livin_Lovin said:
I'm thinking the competitive community will dig the custom level editor. Especially since they whore Final Destination in SSBM, they'll probably make a shitload of strictly flat levels.
Man that would be so boring. :lol But hey, that's the great thing about Brawl, you can customize to game to your own tastes! :D

I hope the elevator from Saffron City is a item in level creator, so I can recreate that stage. Better yet, I hope they bring back Saffron City.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
Then you don't have a problem with character creation - you have a problem with lousy character creation.

Maybe they could include the character from Drawn To Life as the next third party character that you could draw all the weapons and such for. Or hell, maybe Blanca and you can draw her face on. But unless it's something to do with the nature of that character I don't see where my issues will be solved with a "better" character creation tool, since it's not the capability of the creation tool that bothers me but what that will do to the identity of the other characters in the game.

I'm happy with a level editor, I think it works well, it's a tool you can use to create weird and wacky stages with and there have already been some brainstorming ideas presented this morning for it. Let's leave it at that.

NeonZ

I hated it in the latest Mortal Kombat game (Armageddon? I forget the name of it) - whatever you may feel towards the original roster of characters that have been in the game from day one, it feels really horrendously wrong to also have this hideously designed purple/green/lilac monstrosity strutting about using Scorpion's Hookshot, Sub Zero's Freeze attack, Raiden's teleportation etc, even disregarding the balancing issues that such a behemoth would present.

I guess you might have a point regarding online play, because you're forced to deal with creations of other people, but I actually thought the "Character creator" was one of the few redeeming features of that game.

Creating a generic fighter and using him to fight is kind of pointless and boring, but, using that same "Character Creator" I made reasonable recreations of several characters from obscure comic books and fighting games and played with them against friends. I also was able to remake several MK characters using designs inspired by the Shaolin Monks game (which are superior to most of the ones used in Armageddon)... I was even able to recreate some super hero-like characters that I liked to draw in my childhood.

I believe that if there's some thought put behind the character, a path guiding the options chosen by the player, a "Create a Character" feature can be very fun.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
FlightOfHeaven said:
My prediction for the next update;

THE KITCHEN SINK

It really should be an item. After you unlock the last unlockable thing you get a bonus item: The Kitchen Sink.

Whats this? A... a sink!?

Yes, a kitchen sink to be exact. It's quite big.

I hope he adds it.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
GamerSoul said:
I agree, but if they do I can see them putting in creator parts like Samus's Arm Canon, The Master Sword, and Falcons' helmet just to make it more Nintendo.
If its just the appearance of a character thats effected when you combine all those things, then its fine, but it it changes their abilities, you'll have a problem because you could end up creating really unbalanced characters. You could create a character as fast as fox but as strong as bowser. To avoid having that problem, they should do it so that you can only mix features of characters from one weight set. For instance, you could have a heavyweight mix by combining Bowser with dedede's hammer or you could have sonic with falco's gun, but you wouldnt be able to have sonic with dedede's hammer.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Iam Canadian said:
I wouldn't count classic stages out. I'll be very surprised if there aren't any.
Some classical stages were in melee, so they'll probably have them in Brawl too.

Maybe we'll get really lucky and have a mode where we can use any of the stages from brawl or the original SSB. I cant see why they wouldnt be able to do that. They could easily include the same stage models from the previous smash games into brawl. It wouldnt require much effort. The only thing that might stop them from doing it is that they dont want to have stages that look graphically inferior to the brawl stages. There wont be such big differences between the brawl and melee stages, but the original smash stages look very outdated because they are.

Jiggy

Speevy said:
Next update: Create-a-fighter, RPG mode, and dialogue trees.
I think a decent number of us are expecting RPG elements in Subspace Emissary, given the wording of that update. >_>

MedievalManIII said:
Amir0x must be going insane right now since the theme of Snowman is basically the same as the theme of Winters. Fully orchestrated train to awesometown!
And because he'll create 89 Mother stages and play exclusively in those.
...Actually, I wonder if anyone's even PMed him about this musical development yet. Somebody get on that.

TheKingsCrown said:
It would be poor design choice to include a character editor in the game, and it will be poor design choice to include TOO MANY options in the game.
No such thing as too many options. ;( Unless the organization screen is just bad, but it hasn't been before.

ksamedi said:
Sadly, its missing voice chat which is a very simple feature compared to the rest of the stuff, I hope they delayed the game to implement that as well.
Are there even any two-player fighters with voice chat? Never mind four.

GamerSoul

superbank said:
It really should be an item. After you unlock the last unlockable thing you get a bonus item: The Kitchen Sink.

Whats this? A... a sink!?

Yes, a kitchen sink to be exact. It's quite big.

I hope he adds it.

Kitchen Island> Kitchen sink

psycho_snake said:
If its just the appearance of a character thats effected when you combine all those things, then its fine, but it it changes their abilities, you'll have a problem because you could end up creating really unbalanced characters. You could create a character as fast as fox but as strong as bowser. To avoid having that problem, they should do it so that you can only mix features of characters from one weight set. For instance, you could have a heavyweight mix by combining Bowser with dedede's hammer or you could have sonic with falco's gun, but you wouldnt be able to have sonic with dedede's hammer.

I was just talking about the appearance becuz there would be even more balancing issues to take of, but your idea would work and it would make things way easier.

GamerSoul

psycho_snake said:
Nice idea!

I've been had the complex blueprints for that idea.>_>

Brawlstage.jpg

Jiggy

I'll create a level where the floors are spaced far enough apart that the only characters who can survive at all are Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Pit, Peach, and King Dedede.

Linkzg said:
You can create your own stages this time?! No way. REALLY?! With a feature like that, won’t I be able to play this game forever?!

Apparently it’s true...!!!

Those who enjoy a little effort may be able to enjoy this stage builder for the rest of their lives.

First, start from the initial setting.

You start by choosing the size of the stage, the background pattern, and the music that will play. Oops! Sorry. For music, you’ll only be able to choose from the songs you have available.

This is the edit screen!

Basically, you choose parts from the palette on the side and place them in the field.

The controls vary by controller, but each one can do the following:

Flip parts left to right
Enlarge or shrink parts
Zoom in or out on the screen
Swap palettes
Erase
...Among other things.

Just place terrain however you like.

Then try it out!

Modify it and try it... Repeat as necessary. Make your own ideal stage!

Mmm... That’s amazing.

And you can save a name and a comment for the stage.

You can change the music on the save screen. Choose something that matches the mood of your stage.

And I’m glad to say that this feature is compatible with SD cards. You don’t have to worry about size, so make as many stages as you like.

Also, if you’ve registered someone as both a Wii Friend and a Smash friend, you’ll be able to send custom stages to each other.

Now, for those who hate putting effort into such things, we’ve also prepared something for people like you to enjoy.

"Submit"...?

That’s right! You can use your Wi-Fi connection to send stages you’ve made to Nintendo! (However, you can’t submit repeatedly. Maybe just once per day?)

Every day, a stage selected from the entire daily collection will be sent from Nintendo to your Wii. A stage made by someone else will come to you over the Internet once per day!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN! That’s the shocking truth. This means you’ll be able to experience a new stage every day – the flavour of the day, if you will. However, the plan is for that stage to vanish once one day has passed. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime encounter.

You can submit in both the Snapshots mode and the Stage Builder mode, allowing everyone to enjoy the creations of others. The fun of sharing is one of the ways that I wanted to take advantage of Wi-Fi for something other than pure battling.

Today’s stage has lots of traps...

This is our current ideal plan. We still don’t know the exact service period. And future fine-tuning may result in changes to this feature.

But for now, please look forward to it!

This game bever stops to surprise me. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom