• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy37 said:
Deniers owned, haters owned, megatons accelerating even further, awesomeness continues.

Oh, and DKC2 Bramble Blast music confirmed too. :D

WOWOWOWOOWWO

THIS is Megaton for me !! Donkey Kong Country II OST is still one of the best OST ever !!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
As I said earlier, assuming all these features are available in the level editor, my first level will have the Halberd's Combo Cannon firing on the players, King Bulbin destroying segments of the floor, the Ultimate Chimera attacking players, Arwings flying by firing at the fighters, and whatever other obstacles there are will also be present.

And the music will be from Mother.

Rareware.jpg

Duderz

Banned
Wow, this is a game that keeps on giving - and it isn't even out yet!

This week is well on its way of becoming one of the better weeks for updates. :D

The folks at Penny-Arcade have already gone to work on templates of ideas for some of their stages. A few of 'em ain't half bad.

And yes, everyone thought of the 'stage in which it is practically impossible to die'. It's not like this was a large leap in logic.

Haunted

Hey, guys. I've got this great idea for a stage. It involves lots of walls, and there's only a small, tiny space where you can actually get th....

oh.

traveler said:
Err...run this by me again. Why on Earth is featuring more features BAD? I'm not understanding you.
Listen, I get why you feel this way. And I believe this is one of the best updates I have ever seen. Its just that from a design perspective, too many options water down the core game. For competitive play to exist, us competitors need direction from Sakurai as to how the game is supposed to be played. If he lets us edit everything under the sun, the integrity of the game is in question.

I do not want to spend 60 minutes coming up with settings to play one game of Smash Bros. I just don't want him to give me, as a user, TOO much to think about before actually playing the game with my friends, the thing that makes Smash Bros. the best multiplayer game in history. I am just advocating balance.

Again, I think a stage editor is the best thing ever. But adding a character editor...ehhh, he would need to be very crafty with it. From what I have seen from his latest updates and the way he words things and ESPECIALLY the appearance of the option modes, I do believe he is taking balance into consideration. But I don't know that we've seen any quotes from him which suggest he is being careful, so I will continue to raise the alarm since the game is not yet complete.

Jiggy

Maybe I'll try to apply the principles from other games to Smash Bros...

For example, chokepoints. In a strategy game, that would usually be a bridge or road surrounded by water or mountains. In Smash, it could be an area with spikes below and spikes above. People could try to go through that, or just go above the top spikes...

Actually, never mind. That sounds like it would be kind of boring to play since it would just become a chase. :/ I'm sure there are other ideas to be found by looking at other games, though.

Jiggy37 said:
Actually, never mind. That sounds like it would be kind of boring to play since it would just become a chase. :/ I'm sure there are other ideas to be found by looking at other games, though.

Gunfighters - set ranged weapons on high, and two platforms that are so far apart it would be practically impossible to traverse.

Iam Canadian

Pureauthor said:
Gunfighters - set ranged weapons on high, and two platforms that are so far apart it would be practically impossible to traverse.

With characters that can fly like Kirby and Jigglypuff, as well as the gliding mechanic, I'm not sure that you could make an untraversable gap.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Let me guess...the best one is Kannon's Klaim or Forest Interlude, right ?

Not arguing that it's the best one,but I feel Primal Rave and Crocodile Cacophony fit Brawl the most.
Oh, and Snakey Chantey, too. That one reminds me of Yoshi's Island's Athletic (which, according to someone who was at E4All, is in the game).

Jiggy37 said:
I'll create a level where the floors are spaced far enough apart that the only characters who can survive at all are Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Pit, Peach, and King Dedede.

Heh. Watch Samus bomb jump through your level. :lol

Pureauthor : I was thinking of doing remakes of some portions of popular levels, too... looks like I'll have to replay through Tubular. :p

Iam Canadian

Holy Order Sol said:
Pureauthor : I was thinking of doing remakes of some portions of popular levels, too... looks like I'll have to replay through Tubular. :p

Oh, God...the traumatic childhood memories that would bring back.

GamerSoul

What about a series of tunnels that leads to one main platform at the center? The tunnels won't be all connect so you'd have to jump from one tunnel to other.

You know would be a major setback to the square stage? Grabbing the smashball, imagine GigaBowser in that small area.

Insaniac

Cold Shadow said:
Is Nomp3 support confirmed? Because Excitetruck already featured mp3 usage. Expected them to continue using it.

It isn't confirmed to be in or out yet, but I could see them not doing it. The list of musicians is huge and I'm sure they want their work to be heard.

epmode

Jiggy37 said:
Are there even any two-player fighters with voice chat? Never mind four.
Are you serious? Of course there are.

Voice chat is not nearly as much of a massive network-breaking feature as the Nintendo apologists make it out to be.

Voice chat is really all I'm hoping for at this point (even though it's one hell of an important feature). They've really gone above and beyond with this game.

Krowley

Awesome update... If there isn't already a thread on this, somebody should either make one or change the title of this thread so that it's more reflective of this news. I totally missed this and I've been browsing GAF all morning.

Anyway, this is fantastic. There are only a couple of things I can think of that could make this more awesome.

1. The daily levels should be available in an archive for downloading, with most popular levels listed first. That way, user made levels could become popular for online play, and the best selected user levels would be permanently archived.

2. Let us make adventure levels too and have one of those per week with an archive. If the editor can make a smash level, It could probably make a side scrolling level too.

I'm a huge fan of User generated content as one of the biggest things that can effect gaming this generation. Spore, LBP and now smash could start very big trends. I want to see tons of games with these features.

edit// and apparently DON'T MAKE A NEW THREAD! Somebody tried and they locked it immediatley :lol. Maybe i'm the only one that missed this news.

Iam Canadian

Krowley said:
2. Let us make adventure levels too and have one of those per week with an archive. If the editor can make a smash level, It could probably make a side scrolling level too.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Being able to create Subspace Emissary style levels would add infinite amounts of replay value to the single player and I highly hope that this is a feature.

Insaniac

Iam Canadian said:
I can't believe I didn't think of that. Being able to create Subspace Emissary style levels would add infinite amounts of replay value to the single player and I highly hope that this is a feature.

my head might asplode

John Ricciardi from 1up makes a pretty good point:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8460091&publicUserId=5443554

"Seriously though, on one hand it's super exciting to see stuff like this appearing on a Nintendo platform, but on the other hand it's almost painful knowing that this is probably one of the only games we're ever going to see on Wii that's actually up-to-date, feature-wise, with stuff on competing systems. Can you imagine if they put this much effort into every franchise game they released?"

QuickKick89 said:

"Seriously though, on one hand it's super exciting to see stuff like this appearing on a Nintendo platform, but on the other hand it's almost painful knowing that this is probably one of the only games we're ever going to see on Wii that's actually up-to-date, feature-wise, with stuff on competing systems. Can you imagine if they put this much effort into every franchise game they released?"
OH give me a fucking break

STAGE EDITOR IS AMAZING BUT THE GAME'S NOT AS GOOD BECAUSE OTHER GAMES DON'T HAVE IT

I mean, how the fuck much more ridiculous can you get?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
QuickKick89 said:

But that's just bitching for the sake of bitc- oh wait, QuickKick posted it.

farnham

Banned
QuickKick89 said:

Last time I checked only a few games are as feature rich as SSBB..

Iam Canadian

The reason people are so excited for Brawl is that so few games get the vast amount of features, not to mention polish that this game is getting.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Pureauthor said:
The folks at Penny-Arcade have already gone to work on templates of ideas for some of their stages. A few of 'em ain't half bad.

And yes, everyone thought of the 'stage in which it is practically impossible to die'. It's not like this was a large leap in logic.

These are the first two stages everyone will think of first, in this order, no matter what:

1. Tiny 1 Block Stage

2. Encased Stage With Small Opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom