• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
ChazAshley said:
25i1zrk.jpg

I am going to have way too much fun with this...

You win every internet I can possibly provide.

dfyb

Banned
i think it's kinda weird that most of the stages you guys make are purely symbolic with little or no thought put toward actually... playing on these levels.

miyuru

dfyb said:
i think it's kinda weird that most of the stages you guys make are purely symbolic with little or no thought put toward actually... playing on these levels.

Don't worry we'll get there with the game's release.

Iam Canadian

dfyb said:

This little editor is just a toy to play with. We have very little idea as to how robust the actual editor is, how much play space we have, what features are available...without that knowledge, all we can really do is play around.

Hell, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a penis yet. Crushed even gave us the obligatory Goatse.

Somnid

dfyb said:

That's what I've been thinking. Like you guys are using solid blocks to represent a silhouette of something. Realistically, it doesn't make any sense.

IcedTea

Tristam said:
Again, I thinks ye're missin' the point. Maybe you guys will attribute it to more 1up guys trolling the Wii, but nothing he said was false. Is it wrong to wish *this* much content went into all their games (distinguish between content and polish for a second)? How about F-Zero with 30+ online multiplayer and leaderboards AND a track editor that the Japanese got with the expansion kit but we never saw?
Well, I never saw anyone bitching about Halo 3 because other games weren't as good, so yes it is wrong.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
AceBandage said:
Same update as Capture the Flag mode.
I think "King of the Hill" would be sweet, its hard for me to imagine "Capture the Flag" working very well... Thats not to say it couldn't

P.S. I'm shure you were being sarcastic, but I really don't care:D

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
dfyb said:

Sorry guys! Funs over. When you design a level it has to be playable and perfectly balanced. Good thing this game was delayed or you may have done that with the actual software before you had learned better. Perish the thought!

people are having fun with this. They will have fun making "dumb" levels in the real game too, sorry if this bothers you.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
scola said:

Sorry guys! Funs over. When you design a level it has to be playable and perfectly balanced. Good thing this game was delayed or you may have done that with the actual software before you had learned better. Perish the thought!

people are having fun with this. They will have fun making "dumb" levels in the real game too, sorry if this bothers you.
They need to fucking stop it. Everyone should be hard at work designing the perfect "flat" level.

QuickKick89 said:
John Ricciardi from 1up makes a pretty good point:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8460091&publicUserId=5443554

"Seriously though, on one hand it's super exciting to see stuff like this appearing on a Nintendo platform, but on the other hand it's almost painful knowing that this is probably one of the only games we're ever going to see on Wii that's actually up-to-date, feature-wise, with stuff on competing systems. Can you imagine if they put this much effort into every franchise game they released?"

John Ricciardi = John TV = Neogaf's John TV?

Ahh well, who cares, gaf admins are PC fanboys anyways ;p

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Keru_Shiri said:
In before another 5 page pros vs. joes debate.
Fuck that shit. The new civil war is about how you want to use the level editor differently than I do.

You can do what you want in the prvacy of your own home, but don't try to bring to my friendcode!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Keru_Shiri said:
In before another 5 page pros vs. joes debate.
Did I miss something? Waht triggered it? some goofy comments made in jest? Smashers must have thin skin...
scola said:
Fuck that shit. The new civil war is about how you want to use the level editor differently than I do.

You can do what you want in the prvacy of your own home, but don't try to bring to my friendcode!
:lol

My turn:

2q82a94.jpg

No breakable walls, pretty basic design idea. Top section is for the aerial characters to jump around and smash each other, while the lower half is for the grounders to brawl it out.

The main idea is to force your opponent into the section they're less comfortable with and hit them as hard as possible. The floating platforms might give you an extra chance if you make a mistake.

The high walls and enclosed bottom create a more tactical, drawn out battle, with lots of opportunities to avoid attacks through shifting areas. Hitting enemies that land above you would be a safe and common strategy here.

I don't know if I'd change anything, I'd like to keep it simple and obvious. Breakable walls and floating platforms in the upper section would take away from the elegance, I think.

dfyb

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
This little editor is just a toy to play with. We have very little idea as to how robust the actual editor is, how much play space we have, what features are available...without that knowledge, all we can really do is play around.

Hell, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a penis yet. Crushed even gave us the obligatory Goatse.
but it makes little sense. they are basically just duplicating pixel art. you guys are missing the point. if you want to make pixel art, press windows key + r, type mspaint, and press enter. the flash-based editor won't let you test levels, sure... but i still don't see the logic in using it to create silhouettes of your favorite 8-bit game icons.

i've only posted one of my actual level ideas, but i have a few more ideas about actual levels. based on the screenshots we have of the level editor in a variety of views, it's really not that hard to imagine how it would play -- if you're smart about it, it should only require slight adjustments when the game is out.

here's the link because people keep asking for it. http://mntorankusu.googlepages.com/brawlstageeditor.html

i'm tempted to decrypt the swf and edit the flash myself so that you can skin blocks with the 3 or so skins we've seen so far. i just don't have flash installed since my hdd died :(

scola said:

some of these aren't even levels at all. i'd like to see gameplay ideas some of you have. i'm not going to subscribe to the level-of-the-day if they aren't levels, and instead just pixel art that is hardly playable. making pixel art with it just seems off-topic to me.

Gaborn

God's Beard said:
My turn:

2q82a94.jpg

No breakable walls, pretty basic design idea. Top section is for the aerial characters to jump around and smash each other, while the lower half is for the grounders to brawl it out.

The main idea is to force your opponent into the section they're less comfortable with and hit them as hard as possible. The floating platforms might give you an extra chance if you make a mistake.

The high walls and enclosed bottom create a more tactical, drawn out battle, with lots of opportunities to avoid attacks through shifting areas. Hitting enemies that land above you would be a safe and common strategy here.

I don't know if I'd change anything, I'd like to keep it simple and obvious. Breakable walls and floating platforms in the upper section would take away from the elegance, I think.

Finally a penis.

Staccat0 said:
I think "King of the Hill" would be sweet, its hard for me to imagine "Capture the Flag" working very well... Thats not to say it couldn't

P.S. I'm shure you were being sarcastic, but I really don't care:D

Actually, with the new crawling mechanic, having a stage full of narrow passage ways, and a lot of platform, would make a pretty cool CTF arena.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Feep said:
Kind of unrelated question, here, but since the dawn of the 8-bit era, has there been a significant creative force in video gaming just straight up retire, and never come back? Hironobu Sakaguchi went to Mistwalker, right? And everyone else seems to keep on going. Ancel, Carmack, Rein, Uematsu, Mitsuda, Kondo, Miyamoto, Kojima, Schafer, Wright, and on and on and on. They never stop!

Which is good. I'm just sayin'.
Matsuno seems to have dropped off the face of the planet.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
God's Beard said:
My turn:

2q82a94.jpg

I think that would be cool with an angled ceiling just above the center of the opening to throw people out of the glass, and with vertical elevators instead of horiontal. Nice concept BTW!

Iam Canadian

The night's not complete without a prediction!

I'm going with an item. Because Sakurai knows that this is a damn hard act to follow.

Staccat0 said:
Did I miss something? Waht triggered it? some goofy comments made in jest? Smashers must have thin skin...
Goofy comments are always how these debates start, sadly. It seemed like the discussion was going towards wacky stages vs. flat stages, which would boil down, like alot of other things, casual vs. tournament.

As for tonight's prediction, I'm guessing it'll be an item update tonight.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
turk128 said:
Neat idea... was playing around with it and got this:

suu4vb.jpg

I seriously didn't intend it to turn out like that.
Yeah, its hard to do with that editor thingy because the screen isn't big enough to replicate the actual level.

I'd keep the open box in the center that the Ghosts spawn from too.
Keru_Shiri said:
Goofy comments are always how these debates start, sadly. It seemed like the discussion was going towards wacky stages vs. flat stages, which would boil down, like alot of other things, casual vs. tournament.
:lol thats too bad...
AceBandage said:
Actually, with the new crawling mechanic, having a stage full of narrow passage ways, and a lot of platform, would make a pretty cool CTF arena.
*Strokes long imaginary beard* hmmm....

Somnid

I'm going to make a stage entirely devoted to wall jumping. It'll be so awesome and Ninja-esque. Plus it'll go perfectly with tonight's update with Ryu Hayabusa.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
dfyb said:
but it makes little sense. they are basically just duplicating pixel art. you guys are missing the point. if you want to make pixel art, press windows key + r, type mspaint, and press enter. the flash-based editor won't let you test levels, sure... but i still don't see the logic in using it to create silhouettes of your favorite 8-bit game icons.

i've only posted one of my actual level ideas, but i have a few more ideas about actual levels. based on the screenshots we have of the level editor in a variety of views, it's really not that hard to imagine how it would play -- if you're smart about it, it should only require slight adjustments when the game is out.

here's the link because people keep asking for it. http://mntorankusu.googlepages.com/brawlstageeditor.html

i'm tempted to decrypt the swf and edit the flash myself so that you can skin blocks with the 3 or so skins we've seen so far. i just don't have flash installed since my hdd died :(

some of these aren't even levels at all. i'd like to see gameplay ideas some of you have. i'm not going to subscribe to the level-of-the-day if they aren't levels, and instead just pixel art that is hardly playable. making pixel art with it just seems off-topic to me.

so wait, you deride people for making iconic rather than play based levels in one breath, then wish you could rip the level skins into the editor, a pursuit that is only aesthetic by any stretch of the imagination, in the next?

Okay man, have fun!

Going to go to bed no so I don't get banned saying dumb stuff. Goodnight everyone. Have fun with the baseball bat update tonight ;)
off the wall prediction

dfyb

Banned
scola said:
so wait, you deride people for making iconic rather than play based levels in one breath, then wish you could rip the level skins into the editor, a pursuit that is only aesthetic by any stretch of the imagination, in the next?

Okay man, have fun!

Going to go to bed no so I don't get banned saying dumb stuff. Goodnight everyone. Have fun with the baseball bat update tonight ;)
off the wall prediction
yeah i guess it's a good thing you're going to bed, because you are saying some pretty stupid stuff. what i suggested i may do would make the levels appear more like, well, levels created in the game's actual level editor. instead of black pixels, they would actually appear to be level platforms. if the levels started looking less like pixel art and more like levels, perhaps people would actually start creating LEVELS.

Insaniac

dfyb said:
yeah i guess it's a good thing you're going to bed, because you are saying some pretty stupid stuff. what i suggested i may do would make the levels appear more like, well, levels created in the game's actual level editor. instead of black pixels, they would actually appear to be level platforms. if the levels started looking less like pixel art and more like levels, perhaps people would actually start creating LEVELS.

considering the game isn't out yet, and all we have is a little flash program, I don't see why anyone should even be obligated to create actual levels yet

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
... pretty important stuff in here...
dfyb said:
Wow!:lol
This is some pretty serious shit for people to get this riled up:lol

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
2mmskmh.jpg

2 hours in mspaint. etc.

htsmz4.jpg

oh and I love to have a level like this where you're forced to move constantly. I forgot what smash the targets level I based this off of. Is it Ganondorfs?

dfyb

Banned
dfyb said:
TheShaft.png

the bottom area would be conveyer belts moving toward the hole

quoting so i can explain the gameplay implications of this design and to promote the overall level building creativity in this thread (maybe we should create a seperate thread?).

i've always liked the concept of spiking players (dair for captain falcon, ness, ganandorf etc). levels are commonly designed with their foundation in the center and they grow outward, and there are a few levels with holes in the middle, but not a single level where the middle is a primary area to fall.

PressureCooker.png

here's another actual level idea. it's named pressure cooker because, as you can see, it would be hard to kill anyone. so people would accumulate very high percentages. very skilled players would be able to take out opponents faster if they can aim them for the pressure relief valves on the side.

dfyb

Banned
Insaniac said:
considering the game isn't out yet, and all we have is a little flash program, I don't see why anyone should even be obligated to create actual levels yet
don't consider it an obligation. i just don't see the logic behind getting news of a level editor, getting an online flash-based emulator of the level editor, and instead of making potential levels... you make cute pictures. i mean, they may not play very well, but at least your mommy can put them on the fridge?

it's not that big of a deal to me and the "serious business" replies are unecessary. i'm just commenting on what i see.

Rotanibor

dfyb said:
don't consider it an obligation. i just don't see the logic behind getting news of a level editor, getting an online flash-based emulator of the level editor, and instead of making potential levels... you make cute pictures. i mean, they may not play very well, but at least your mommy can put them on the fridge?

it's not that big of a deal to me and the "serious business" replies are unecessary. i'm just commenting on what i see.

They're just having fun with it at the moment. Give people time to actually come up with the ideas first.

Mar

dfyb said:

You're going to be very disappointed with the final game when 99 out of 100 user created levels sent to you daily is a giant cock or heaving breasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom