• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duderz

Banned
underfooter said:
You could say that about any character. Ridley is the most ferocious and memorable villain in the Metroid series. It doesn't speak, it is unknown how intelligent the creature is, and it is a huge, flying, sharp-toothed, badass mother fucker who has been back in Meta form AND Phazon form.

If Ridley is announced (I really hope it is), then that's another megaton in my eyes. (I also want levels from Metroid Prime 1 and/or F-Zero GX)

Actually, Ridley does speak, and since he's the leader of the Space Pirates, I'd assume he's pretty intelligent as far as that goes.

IMO, Ridley as a character has been pretty cheapened from Metroid: Zero Mission on. We fought him as Meta Ridley in ZM, MP, & MP3, normal Ridley in M & SM, and now a ridiculous phazon Ridley. His story arc doesn't even make sense anymore.

Keep him as a boss in Subspace Emissary, but I'd rather see a different character playable.

Off topic for a second, we haven't gotten a veteran character update in almost 2 months. Falcon is long overdue. :(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Rotanibor Eht said:
What the hell is Ridley anyways? Is he part of the space pirate specials but mutated or what?

Honestly...we don't know. We don't even know what his position in the Space Pirate hierarchy is. The only thing about his past we know is that he's responsible for the death of Samus' parents and the destruction of the space colony on K-2L. Some of the earlier games call him the leader of the Space Pirates. Other early ones call Mother Brain the leader while the Prime games refer to some unseen "High Command". I think Ridley is a general that leads the Pirate forces while still answering to High Command; the Meta Ridley logbook entry in Prime mentions Ridley being assigned to Tallon IV. So while I think he may be a military commander, he isn't the top leader.

I believe...

samus_ridley.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:
-
-Our five six least recent update types are now Poke Ball, character profile, game mode, final smash, and a tie between--wait for it--music and story mode. Yes, it's true, even though we just had those last two on Monday. >_> And those first four, of course, are the only update types that didn't show up this week. Lack of a character profile is sad. :(

It's coming

Duderz said:
IMO, Ridley as a character has been pretty cheapened from Metroid: Zero Mission on. We fought him as Meta Ridley in ZM, MP, & MP3, normal Ridley in M & SM, and now a ridiculous phazon Ridley. His story arc doesn't even make sense anymore.

.....it makes about as much sense as the enemies in Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Zelda, or Resident Evil.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
Retro said Sakurai didn't ask them for any Prime assets :(
I hope I never have a chance to use either of these phrases again, but...
Why the long face? Turn that frown upside down. :D It's a good thing, seeing as 2D Metroid > 3D Metroid. (Though I like 3D Metroid too.)

Iam Canadian said:
Honestly...we don't know. We don't even know what his position in the Space Pirate hierarchy is. The only thing about his past we know is that he's responsible for the death of Samus' parents and the destruction of the space colony on K-2L. Some of the earlier games call him the leader of the Space Pirates. Other early ones call Mother Brain the leader while the Prime games refer to some unseen "High Command". I think Ridley is a general that leads the Pirate forces while still answering to High Command; the Meta Ridley logbook entry in Prime mentions Ridley being assigned to Tallon IV. So while I think he may be a military commander, he isn't the top leader.
Huh. Kind of makes me hope they ignore the Prime continuity in the future, since in Metroid Prime 3
you pretty much destroy the pirate homeworld
... Unless the pirates have some superior base
that they created outside of their homeworld
, which I suppose might be a good strategic idea, the events after Prime 3 wouldn't quite make sense.

Duderz

Banned
underfooter said:
.....it makes about as much sense as the enemies in Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Zelda, or Resident Evil.

Well, I'd say that pre-Metroid Prime & Metroid: Zero Mission, we had a pretty coherent overall story to the Metroid games that for the most part made sense.

Iam Canadian said:
I think the "Meta Ridley" in ZM was just a robotic duplicate of Ridley built by the Pirates, not Ridley himself.

I guess that makes sense, with him crawling and all.

So basically Ridley is defeated in Metroid, has a robotic duplicate in Zero Mission, becomes Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3, then becomes Phazon enhanced, then goes back to normal Ridley in Super Metroid, then becomes X-infected?

Sheesh.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Who else would you peeps prefer to have in from Metroid, over Ridley?

The series definitely deserves more rep, don't you think? Plus wouldn't Samus vs. Ridley battles be cool? :eek: c'mon!

The game already has a gliding mechanic, too, and playing as a 'bestial' character would be fun. (Even though Bowser kinda blows in Melee, he's fun to play as. He goes "rar!!")

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Huh. Kind of makes me hope they ignore the Prime continuity in the future, since in Metroid Prime 3
you pretty much destroy the pirate homeworld
... Unless the pirates have some superior base
that they created outside of their homeworld
, which I suppose might be a good strategic idea, the events after Prime 3 wouldn't quite make sense.

Well, in Super Metroid, the Pirates are alive and kicking. But notice that they're completely silent during Metroid 2, despite the fact that Samus is attacking the source of the Metroids, and they clearly have none left by Super. What I think happened was the Pirates were regrouping and recuperating after the crushing blow dealt by Samus in Corruption. The Federation took the opportunity to send Samus to SR388 and wipe out the Metroids. By Super, the Pirates had regrouped and were ready to launch an assault. While the Homeworld was the center of Pirate society, I'm sure they had colonies and outposts established elsewhere in the galaxy, much like on Tallon IV and Aether.

They also seem to be in business in Fusion. Not only do they have Ridley's carcass (despite the fact that Ridley's corpse seems to have been char-broiled in Super) but Samus fights X-possessed Pirates in the ducts. It seems that the Pirates sent spies or commandos to the B.S.L for some reason, indicating that they still exist in some form.

MrCheez said:

The series definitely deserves more rep, don't you think? Plus wouldn't Samus vs. Ridley battles be cool? :eek: c'mon!

The game already has a gliding mechanic, too, and playing as a 'bestial' character would be fun. (Even though Bowser kinda blows in Melee, he's fun to play as. He goes "rar!!")
QFT! :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
MrCheez said:
well, part of the problem with the metroid series is that there isn't anyone else that you could have other than samus and ridley as playable characters.

ohamsie

I want to have a battle between Bowser, Ridley, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi. It would be like old monster movies with giant monsters attacking each other.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
ohamsie said:
I want to have a battle between Bowser, Ridley, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi. It would be like old monster movies with giant monsters attacking each other.

We need another city/skyscraper stage for this :O

(My friend and I used to play Bowser versus DK on Fourside in Giant Melee mode!)

psycho_snake

If they do make ridley a playable character, they'll got to make sure they dont overpower him. Ridley is quick, strong and he can fly, but they cant give him all those attributes or else he'll be too good.

Iam Canadian

psycho_snake said:
If they do make ridley a playable character, they'll got to make sure they dont overpower him. Ridley is quick, strong and he can fly, but they cant give him all those attributes or else he'll be too good.

He'll probably be a slower heavyweight who can glide. He's really not agile on the ground, only in the air and his gliding would cover that.

el jacko

Did anyone else notice this? Look in the background:

stage17_071109a-l.jpg

Why is there a really cool stage in the background, and we have to fight on some fucking floating platforms? I know you're not reading this thread, but this is some seriously lazy shit here, Sakurai, and it's not the first time, either.

NotWii

Banned
el jacko said:
Why is there a really cool stage in the background, and we have to fight on some fucking floating platforms? I know you're not reading this thread, but this is some seriously lazy shit here, Sakurai, and it's not the first time, either.
Hahaha I was thinking that the arrangement in the background would work pretty well as a stage.

Not to worry, we can always create it with stage builder.

psycho_snake

Iam Canadian said:
He'll probably be a slower heavyweight who can glide. He's really not agile on the ground, only in the air and his gliding would cover that.
yeah that would work well. He'll probably end up being a lot like charizard.

Firestorm

el jacko said:

stage17_071109a-l.jpg

Because what's in the background looks like the crappy "camp on the sides and kill them as they come to you" type of stage? You know, like Jungle Japes and Mushroom Kingdom II. That said, the front of this stage looks horrible to play in too. Small platforms with no real base, no room to maneuver, and lava that people have hated in both 64 and Melee. Yay.

Jiggy

Wow, that actually is a cool stage in the background. :eek: I don't mind floating platforms since they're not uncommon in Metroid anyway, and also since I don't see why those rock pillars holding them up wouldn't just melt away, but it's the little cave sections that really make it cool.

Now just watch, the next megaton will be Stage Inverter or something, where the background and foreground of Norfair and New Pork City can be reversed.

Edit: Actually, Firestorm has a point, now that I look closer... It looks like the caves are closed off, so camping in there really would be about as safe as it gets. They at least need to be dangerously close to an edge to add some risk factor.

el jacko

Firestorm said:
Because what's in the background looks like the crappy "camp on the sides and kill them as they come to you" type of stage? You know, like Jungle Japes and Mushroom Kingdom II. That said, the front of this stage looks horrible to play in too. Small platforms with no real base, no room to maneuver, and lava that people have hated in both 64 and Melee. Yay.
That is a valid point, but at the same time I disagree with it on the basis that this "floating platforms with some side floating platforms" formula is basically the only kind of stage we're getting. I mean, of the 17 stages shown so far, maybe four of them are actually new, interesting designs. And many of the floating platform stages actually have interesting worlds in them... in the backgrounds. Why are we not fighting in the temples of Skyworld, or in the caves of Norfair, or right in the middle of Smashville? Why do we have to fight above, or in front of them? If every stage is designed in the same way, why have so many stages in the first place?

Firestorm

el jacko said:
That is a valid point, but at the same time I disagree with it on the basis that this "floating platforms with some side floating platforms" formula is basically the only kind of stage we're getting. I mean, of the 17 stages shown so far, maybe four of them are actually new, interesting designs. And many of the floating platform stages actually have interesting worlds in them... in the backgrounds. Why are we not fighting in the temples of Skyworld, or in the caves of Norfair, or right in the middle of Smashville? Why do we have to fight above, or in front of them? If every stage is designed in the same way, why have so many stages in the first place?

Because the number of platforms, placement of those platforms, size of the platforms, distance of the ceiling, distance of the edges, and distance of the floor are all different in every stage? The main platform itself is also different in form on many stage, although with the new crappy tether recovery thing that doesn't matter as much.

I'd much rather see a lot of balanced floating platform stages than a lot of unbalanced "interesting" stages that are no fun to play in. Most fighters have flat land and that's it. SSBB mixes it up and goes beyond that by offering an environment to fight in. That's not exactly lazy.

Sakurai put in a stage editor so you can make as many unbalanced stages as you want.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:
Now just watch, the next megaton will be Stage Inverter or something, where the background and foreground of Norfair and New Pork City can be reversed.

Yeah, I was thinking/hoping for that as well. Kid Icarus' stage could work for this, too.

Dreavus

el jacko said:

One reason may be because of the stage editor. IIRC, that lets you choose a background for your stage, amongst other things like platform placement and music choice. Having Sakurai develop stages like this (platforms independent from the background) opens up more backgrounds to choose from for your stage in the stage editor.

el jacko said:
agreed
we should be getting more complex stages
not simple platform levels these could have been done with the stage editor

Firestorm

Dark Ninja said:
agreed
we should be getting more complex stages
not simple platform levels these could have been done with the stage editor

Complex stages can also be done with the stage editor.

Edit: I just realized none of the revealed stages look anything close to Dreamland 64. We better get Dreamland 64 or something like it >=(

Firestorm said:
Complex stages can also be done with the stage editor.
The problem is that your limited to what you can do
see below where it says remaining parts
various10_071029d-l.jpg

the assets they give you to make the level with seem to be very simple shapes like squares and triangles
various10_071029f-l.jpg

Haunted

meh. I like the idea with the one safe area, but I'm not too fond of the whole lava stage concept. And Norfair is ugly, there are so many amazing locales in Metroid and they choose one of the ugliest... again. :(

sp0rsk said:
People like shit characters?
All the clamouring for Geno says yes.

CraigMcD

Iam Canadian said:
King Dedede is the main villain (and final boss) of Kirby's Dream Land and most of the spinoffs, has a major plot role in Kirby's Adventure, makes a boss appearance in most Kirby games, and is playable in Kirby 64 and Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Ridley has never been the main antagonist in a Metroid game. He's always playing the lackey to somebody, be it Mother Brain, Space Pirate High Command (who we never see), the Phazon, or is being possessed by an X Parasite. He's never been a final boss and never been playable.
What was the last boss in Metroid: Zero Mission? :p

AMUSIX

el jacko said:

stage17_071109a-l.jpg

Definitely not the first time...Skyworld, Smashville, Castle Seige, Battleship Halberd, and New Pork City are all "lets make a cool stage, and then have the battle happen in front of it". This has been mentioned more than a few times, and has been labeled unfair criticism by some (for some reason).

However, if Sakurai announced that all of these stages were actually 2-in-one, it'd make for one of the most incredible updates ever.

Damnit, let me fight IN Smashville!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom