• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
What sucks mroe than any special-move is that Kirby has his old moves. That´s so lame. Update every old character!
pfft Kirby. They should've just taken him out. :p

Also, his final smash is a new attack, no?

VerTiGo

Banned
samusmc.jpg

I think I actually prefer the Smash Bros. style over Retro's. Why? It reminds me of the art of Super Metroid. Retro kinda westernized Metroid a bit too much.

ant1532

Banned
:lol :lol :lol @ you guys arguing about that picture.

Samus is landing from a air grab. It's the same animation in Melee. Believe me I'm a Samus player.

samus_070615d.jpg

RubxQub said:
That solution would be god awful.

Not necassarily. Sakurai said these moves were supposed to be the equivalent of the hammer, but specialized for each character so they should act as if they have the hammer. By invincible, what I meant was almost invulnerable. In the same way you had to hit someone with the hammer in just the right place or with just the right weapon, you'd have to hit characters a certain way to interupt their attacks.

And I really see little support in these moves being done using FMVs...I mean, look at the Link pictures and you'll see a few reasons. 1) The pictures are CLEARLY zoomed in as the majority of the Smash pics on the site are. 2) If you look at the backgrounds you can clearly see the castle stage and Link jumping off a platform to hit Wario who was trapped in the air

Think about it. Remember in the old trailer it showed Link flying through the air to hit Mario who was trapped in the triforce things? These pictures seem to show that they changed that way, and made it real time

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RubxQub said:
How much sense would it make that there wouldn't be a little cut-scene? Link is in the middle of doing a Final Smash and then someone just taps him and he breaks out of it? Yet Mario can just fire off his without fear of interruption?
mario_070529c-l.jpg

Mario attacks in one direction so it may be possible to attack him from behind.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Those arent cutscenes people, its called SELLING A GAME. They're going to show you action on unplayable-yet-cool-looking angles

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't mean mini cut-scenes as FMVs, just cinematic in game stuff.

I fully get everyone's points, but there is no evidence asides from logic (and how well has that worked for game speculation?) that says that Final Smash moves won't initiate a small cinematic.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I liken Final Smashes to Pokemon attacks (from the Pokeballs). The Pokemon spawns and does an attack. If you try to ATTACK the Pokemon (in most circumstances) you actually get hurt. While Mario does his final smash, he's all glowing with energy there; I'd imagine jumping towards him would be like jumping towards Groudon (or any of the legendary Pokemon in SSBM). You just get blown away. Same with Link. While he's hacking someone up in that attack, if you jump towards him you'd either get pulled into the attack or just blown away from it.

[Edit] You can apply that logic to the animation as well. Every Pokemon doesn't have a cinema for it's attack. They do their spectacular whatever and everyone can still run around during it. It'll probably be the exact same thing--just instead of calling a pokemon, you effectively BECOME the pokemon.

Also, using that original movie for reasoning isn't a good idea. Half of it wasn't even realtime, including the "cinemas" at the beginning of each final smash. Mario's and Link's actual attacks were realtime, but the zooming before them was clearly the super-smoothed stuff being used throughout the rest of the trailer that wasn't indicative of actual gameplay. Now we have those same animations rendered in actual graphics (in these new screens), and I expect them to play out exactly like Pokemon attacks.

ant1532

Banned
RubxQub said:
I don't mean mini cut-scenes as FMVs, just cinematic in game stuff.

I fully get everyone's points, but there is no evidence asides from logic (and how well has that worked for game speculation?) that says that Final Smash moves won't initiate a small cinematic.
I'm pretty sure all thats going to happen is the game is going to take control of your charater for a couple seconds to execute the moves while the camera angle might move to show it off. Thats it. Thats all. Think a special in 3rd strike with the camera moving. And I'm not sure if the camera will move. Because that basically means everyone is going to have a tuff time dodge it. We won't know till the game is playable at this years E3. (I'm going to say it is for good hopes and don't want any negativity to change it)

But this picture

samus_070615d.jpg

is just SAMUS LANDING FROM AN AIR GRAB. Thats it lol. Not cutscene. No final smash.

RubxQub

ant1532 said:
is just SAMUS LANDING FROM AN AIR GRAB. Thats it lol. Not cutscene. No final smash.
You keep thinking I'm talking about that picture...but I'm not.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also, here's something based on evidence, not logical conjecture.

Look at those screens for Link's final smash. In particular, the first and second one. In the first, he's firing the Triforce beam. In the second, he's dashing towards the enemy he's managed to ensnare. The white dash by his feat is a "I just took off" animation, which implies that he just lept from his original sitting position on the platform, and is en route to Wario. He's like, a foot away from Wario. The original Trailer showed a whole extravagant zoom in on Link flying towards his foe, with him bathed in yellow energy. These screens show no point where that cinema would fit. Not only is Link never bathed in yellow, but the screens are a step-by-step display of the entire point in time that cinema would occupy. The camera angle in the screens is irrelevant, as all gameplay screens to this point have been similarly framed. The only reason to think there'd be a cinema is the ONE snippet of Link flying towards his enemy from the original (and highly scripted for effect) trailer, and here we have screens that clearly show how that animation will function in a real gameplay setting.

I mean SURE we won't know for sure until we see it in motion, but there's no actual reason to assume that cinematics designed for emphasis in a debut trailer will translate exactly to final gameplay (most notably when they were rendered differently from scenes of actual gameplay), especially now that we have screens that indicate the contrary.

RubxQub

Tathanen said:
I mean SURE we won't know for sure until we see it in motion
That's all I'm saying.

People are talking as if things are fact based on screenshots and a debut trailer. Let's just wait until they actually say or show something that's concrete.

Blutonium

ant1532 said:
samus_070615d.jpg

Even so, isn't it still possible to move the camera around in pause, like in all Smash Bros? Melee had these kind of screenshots too.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
WastingPenguins said:
Sorry, guys, but the original trailer clearly shows what appear to be short cut-scenes during Final Smashes. All evidence thus far shows zoomed-in, action-interrupting scenes. It sucks, but what makes people think this won't happen when all the info we currently have points to this? Wishful thinking?

Common sense.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
ant1532 said:
But this picture

samus_070615d.jpg

Doesn't it make more sense if she just has a fully charged shot?

WastingPenguins said:
Sorry, guys, but the original trailer clearly shows what appear to be short cut-scenes during Final Smashes. All evidence thus far shows zoomed-in, action-interrupting scenes. It sucks, but what makes people think this won't happen when all the info we currently have points to this? Wishful thinking?

No, it really doesn't. Watch the original trailer again when Mario does his final Smash. As the fire is coming Link and Kirby are running away. Other players can clearly move around during them. It's real time

Zoramon089 said:
No, it really doesn't. Watch the original trailer again when Mario does his final Smash. As the fire is coming Link and Kirby are running away. Other players can clearly move around during them. It's real time

Are you people blind? There's a little scene zoomed in on Mario where he jumps up and grabs the orb right before that. I'm saying there is a scene BEFORE the FS, not that the attack itself is a cutscene. Obviously I have no idea how it will work in the final game, but that trailer shows 3 examples of these scenes leading up to Final Smashes. If something is shown in a trailer like that, I'm going to assume it's in the game until I have even a HINT of evidence otherwise.

I agree that it seems common sense for Sakurai not to do this, but hey, I thought the same thing about the wacky super-hits in Mario Tennis for Gamecube!

Firestorm

If it's something you can only do once per match, who cares >.>; I mean, firstly, a competitive match will obviously not have them in the first place. If you're doing a match with items and all, might as well make it as flashy as possible! It's once a match! I wonder if Young Link
BELIEVE
will have a similar final smash to Link's?

How come he hasn't done a Metaknight profile yet =( I wouldn't mind seeing his moves or final smash.

Firestorm said:
If it's something you can only do once per match, who cares >.>; I mean, firstly, a competitive match will obviously not have them in the first place. If you're doing a match with items and all, might as well make it as flashy as possible! It's once a match! I wonder if Young Link
BELIEVE
will have a similar final smash to Link's?

How come he hasn't done a Metaknight profile yet =( I wouldn't mind seeing his moves or final smash.

Actually, the site does say that a Smash Orb can only be used once... but it doesn't say if that means once per match, once life, once per 30 seconds. All we know for sure is that each orb can only be used once. Whether multiple orbs will appear in a match, no one knows.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
WastingPenguins said:
Are you people blind? There's a little scene zoomed in on Mario where he jumps up and grabs the orb right before that. I'm saying there is a scene BEFORE the FS, not that the attack itself is a cutscene. Obviously I have no idea how it will work in the final game, but that trailer shows 3 examples of these scenes leading up to Final Smashes. If something is shown in a trailer like that, I'm going to assume it's in the game until I have even a HINT of evidence otherwise.

I agree that it seems common sense for Sakurai not to do this, but hey, I thought the same thing about the wacky super-hits in Mario Tennis for Gamecube!

Sakurai wasn't involved in Mario Tennis...

And the 3 cutscenes are examples of smooth non-realtime animation. They were present in many other cinematic scenes in the first trailer. The second trailer is all realtime gameplay and no smooth cutscenes were present.

superbank said:
Sakurai wasn't involved in Mario Tennis...

And the 3 cutscenes are examples of smooth non-realtime animation. They were present in many other cinematic scenes in the first trailer. The second trailer is all realtime gameplay and no smooth cutscenes were present.

Ha, I hope you're right! Watching the old trailer again, the "smooth cutscene" preceding Mario's Final Smash looks pretty close to the screens on the site... although Mario's positions are a bit different. So yeah, let's all cross our fingers and hope those were just for show, shall we?

And yeah, I know Sakurai wasn't involved in Mario Tennis. :lol I was just pointing out that gameplay-interrupting cutscene-based special moves wouldn't be a new concept for a Nintendo multiplayer game.

traveler

Not Wario
Has it been confirmed that Final Smashes are, in fact, items and, as such, can be removed from play if desired? I don't have a problem with them as additions to gameplay (even additions that halt gameplay when triggered) as long as they're optional.

traveler said:
Has it been confirmed that Final Smashes are, in fact, items and, as such, can be removed from play if desired? I don't have a problem with them as additions to gameplay (even additions that halt gameplay when triggered) as long as they're optional.

No, no official confirmation of any kind. Melee's battles are ridiculously customizable, however, so it's almost a given that you'll be able to turn those off if you wish. But yeah, no one knows for sure yet!

E3... three more weeks to go! It seems soooo far away, doesn't it?

Is anyone else getting nervous that this game hasn't been officially confirmed to be Wifi compatible? What's going to happen if it turns out to be an offline game? Neogaf am cry, etc.?

DeceitDecide said:
Is anyone else getting nervous that this game hasn't been officially confirmed to be Wifi compatible? What's going to happen if it turns out to be an offline game? Neogaf am cry, etc.?

They'll probably confirm it at E3 as WiFi compatible... for trophy trading. :lol :lol

xTOXNx

Banned
Wifi will only kill the great community for this game so n00bs who think there "Link" (lol link players winning) is good and have never gone to tournaments can go online and win. They will then lose to the people who goto tournaments proceeded to not playing the game anymore, and only leaving the good players resulting in ruining the great offline experience.

Not to mention: Lag,Freind Codes (maybe),Bigger hitboxes to compensate for lag, etc.

zoku88

xTOXNx said:
Wifi will only kill the great community for this game so n00bs who think there "Link" (lol link players winning) is good and have never gone to tournaments can go online and win. They will then lose to the people who goto tournaments proceeded to not playing the game anymore, and only leaving the good players resulting in ruining the great offline experience.

Not to mention: Lag,Freind Codes (maybe),Bigger hitboxes to compensate for lag, etc.
Or, you know, none of that could happen. I know I'm not the only one who sucks and still plays FPSs. People will play it even though they suck at it. My friends can still play Melee for hours even though I can beat them pretty easily as long as they don't team up on me.

Linkup

DeceitDecide said:

cry? more along the lines of explode. If we don't hear about it at E3, it's gone.

DeceitDecide said:

It'll be okay either way. I'd rather no online, really. I like the community.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Speevy said:
So what's up for tonight? Confirmation that the game comes in a box?
Oh shut up. These updates provide a good, steady source of info and screens for the game (and MUSIC!!!!)

GaimeGuy said:
Oh shut up. These updates provide a good, steady source of info and screens for the game (and MUSIC!!!!)

considering this is the only game genre Nintendo can do this with, this is the best thing they ever done

it would not work with Mario Galaxy

rikichi

Smiles and Cries said:
considering this is the only game genre Nintendo can do this with, this is the best thing they ever done

it would not work with Mario Galaxy

i totally agree with you. this is the best thing they've done. i love just waiting for the new updates to come.

i have no life

Kandinsky

DeceitDecide said:
The only way i can see brawl wifi compatible, its in a 1vs1, final destination, no items, no specials, like one button melee, incredible nerfed fight. Just accept it, the game wont work online, so its not going to happen.

Kandinsky said:
The only way i can see brawl wifi compatible, its in a 1vs1, final destination, no items, no specials, like one button melee, incredible nerfed fight. Just accept it, the game wont work online, so its not going to happen.

Dude. One button melee is way more nerfed than what you described.. :-(

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kandinsky said:
Er, Final Destination is probably one of the tougher levels to render in Melee, with the moving background. It's not on the level of Mute City or Fountain of Dreams, but it's certainly tougher on the system than, say, Yoshi's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom