• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Final Smash Pikachu looks kind of evil.
4mv4mso.gif

jman2050 said:
A Japanese speaker would be helpful here, since you do have a point, but I don't recall any similar apparent oddities in translation before this update.

Well, whoever's translating it may not have all proper Pokemon terms at hand as well.

The term "Electric Ball" was odd, so I looked at the Japanese version and found the equivilent term: でんきだま It happens to be the Japanese name in Pokemon for the "Light Ball" item. The reason for mentioning of this item is that the only way to get Volt Tackle on a Pikachu is to breed a Pichu with the Pikachu/Raichu parent holding a Light Ball, where the Pichu will be born with the move, and then evolve said Pichu.

Golden Darkness said:
Well, whoever's translating it may not have all proper Pokemon terms at hand as well.

The term "Electric Ball" was odd, so I looked at the Japanese version and found the equivilent term: でんきだま It happens to be the Japanese name in Pokemon for the "Light Ball" item. The reason for mentioning of this item is that the only way to get Volt Tackle on a Pikachu is to breed a Pichu with the Pikachu/Raichu parent holding a Light Ball, where the Pichu will be born with the move, and then evolve said Pichu.

Think they really get in to it that deep?

Kureishima said:
Think they really get in to it that deep?

Who knows?

Anyway, someone at a Pokemon fansite forum just found a possible reason why Pikachu's Volt Tackle move looks the way it is.

The original Japanese name of the attack was Volteccer, and the attack was actually borrowed from another Gamefreak developed game, Pulseman. Pulseman's version of this move resembles this.

For proof look here: http://volteccer.atomic-fire.com/game.shtml

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I was wondering what his Final Smash would be since they didn't show it in the first railer while showing the other 3. This looks nice. :)

pikachu_070619a-l.jpg

hehe.

pikachu_070619b-l.jpg

I'm going to assume they posed Mario's model unless they're adding more types of movement.

Canceled most likely means when it runs out. Look at that move. How would you cancel that? All of the Final Smashes have a sort of defense mechanism built in. Mario is surrounded by lightning-fire stuff so if you touch him you get burned, if you get close to Link you will be slashed away, and Pikachu is completely surrounded by electricity.

kamikaze

great commentary for the update. :)

superbank said:
I'm going to assume they posed Mario's model unless they're adding more types of movement.

the mario pose looks like it could be animation for him changing directions while running.

RagnarokX

Well really it doesnt make sense for cancel to mean "get hit" in the context of the update. How exactly would you hit an extremely fast ball of death while it is over one of the sides? It must be impossible to physically hit pikachu, since contact is how it attacks, so that leaves projectiles. Projectiles would be way too slow to hit it. I think it's safe to assume he meant "ends".

superbank said:
Canceled most likely means when it runs out. Look at that move. How would you cancel that? All of the Final Smashes have a sort of defense mechanism built in. Mario is surrounded by lightning-fire stuff so if you touch him you get burned, if you get close to Link you will be slashed away, and Pikachu is completely surrounded by electricity.

What I don't get is why people are freaking out over the word cancel, as if cancel means anything other than user input to halt.

Then why not just say 'if it wears off'? The term 'cancel' has a rather specific meaning in the context of fighting games, so you can't simply just write it off like that.

This is correct, if not very meaningful. Notice how 'cancel' isn't 'interrupt'.

Son of Godzilla said:
What I don't get is why people are freaking out over the word cancel, as if cancel means anything other than user input to halt.

This is correct, if not very meaningful. Notice how 'cancel' isn't 'interrupt'.

Yeah. Because everybody cancels their supers over the ledge to die.

superbank said:
I was wondering what his Final Smash would be since they didn't show it in the first railer while showing the other 3. This looks nice. :)

pikachu_070619a-l.jpg

hehe.

pikachu_070619b-l.jpg

Awesome notion there. This is pure speculation on my part, but what it could be is that Pikachu's final smash creates kinda like a vortex effect. So that the level's gravity is being pulled towards Pikachu. Mario is simply trying to avoid getting sucked in. Maybe? Could be cool.

DeceitDecide said:
Awesome notion there. This is pure speculation on my part, but what it could be is that Pikachu's final smash creates kinda like a vortex effect. So that the level's gravity is being pulled towards Pikachu. Mario is simply trying to avoid getting sucked in. Maybe? Could be cool.

Just looks to me like he's in the mid-turn animation

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Maybe it can be "canceled" by projectile attacks, like one of Samus' missiles or another Pikachu standing below and using Thunder. I imagine these sorts of attacks could get through that massive ball of death.

Nice update, it's nice too see some stuff we've never seen before. I love the lighting effects on his volt tackle, good stuff. Should be fun to move around too.

superbank

kamikaze said:
the mario pose looks like it could be animation for him changing directions while running.

Oh yeah, maybe. Improving animation over Melee would be good. Although that means you can't do that thing where you run back and forth really quick.

DeceitDecide said:

Hmm, maybe. That picture does give the impression that they're being drawn in. The second picture not so much. That might not be entirely fair though since the description is that the ball already moves very fast.

Shinobix

All this "cancelling" thing made me remember Dragon Ball GT Finalbout. Stupid henkidama (sp?) could be cancelled with the lowest energy ball or whatever

Teasel

jman2050 said:
This is what I assumed when I first read it. It makes sense.

A Japanese speaker would be helpful here, since you do have a point, but I don't recall any similar apparent oddities in translation before this update.
not sure if it can help but in the italian version it say "if the move get BLOCKED"
(the move is also called Locomovolt with locomotiva being the italian for train)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My confidence in final smashes are rising!

This one shows a more interactive final smash, so I'm hopeful that this means no cinematic pausinig!

I may rest easy...

ant1532

Banned
trh said:
Doesn't it make more sense if she just has a fully charged shot?
That animation with a knee down as in that picture only happens when you use Samus' grab(grapple beam) and then lands on a surface

EktorPR

RubxQub said:
My confidence in final smashes are rising!

This one shows a more interactive final smash, so I'm hopeful that this means no cinematic pausinig!

I may rest easy...

What? :lol

You seriously believe the game will be stopped each and every time a Final Smash is done?

Danthrax said:
Maybe it can be "canceled" by projectile attacks, like one of Samus' missiles or another Pikachu standing below and using Thunder. I imagine these sorts of attacks could get through that massive ball of death.

That would be really dumb. You're about to do your destructive Final Smash and it's stopped by.... an arrow? a missile? pikachu's electricity? The Final Smash would be way too easy to counter that way.
The way I see it, projectiles could do damage to the player doing the final smash, but not stop the attack.

superbank said:
Oh yeah, maybe. Improving animation over Melee would be good. Although that means you can't do that thing where you run back and forth really quick.

And why would that be? Melee has a "turn around" animation, too.

jman2050

Meta-Knight said:
That would be really dumb. You're about to do your destructive Final Smash and it's stopped by.... an arrow? a missile? pikachu's electricity? The Final Smash would be way too easy to counter that way.
The way I see it, projectiles could do damage to the player doing the final smash, but not stop the attack.

It wouldn't be abnormal in the context of the game. I mean, this is the same series that lets you completely block a gigantic charged ball of death with a dinky shield :p

Besides, if the final smash moves as quickly as the update implies, it shouldn't be hard to dodge projectiles. Regardless, this update just gives us more questions to argue about while Sakurai sits at home laughing in a maniacal fashion. How evil :(

superbank

Kureishima said:
And why would that be? Melee has a "turn around" animation, too.

Yes, but the melee animation was a quick turnaround. It was made so you could turn and run in the other direction quickly. In this picture Mario looks off-balance/doing a backwards dash/keeping focus on Pikachus Final Smash.

Anyway, I think they posed his model for more emphasis on not wanting to be hit by a volt tackle.

jrricky

Banned
I think they will update every character we know of(with their final smashes) before E3 so they can reveal a whole megaton there.

Jiggy

My best guess is that Mario's in one of the beginning steps of using his forward running slide... Only speculative, though.

Mudhoney

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm noticing only now that the game is NOT in 16:9......
:lol Please don't start this for yet another game. 4:3 shots of a game do not confirm a lack of widescreen. It didn't for RE4, RE:UC, Dragon Quest Swords, or a bunch of other games GAF jumped the gun on.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
ant1532 said:
That animation with a knee down as in that picture only happens when you use Samus' grab(grapple beam) and then lands on a surface
Not true, it happens after you land from an up B as well. :p

superbank said:
Yes, but the melee animation was a quick turnaround. It was made so you could turn and run in the other direction quickly. In this picture Mario looks off-balance/doing a backwards dash/keeping focus on Pikachus Final Smash.

Anyway, I think they posed his model for more emphasis on not wanting to be hit by a volt tackle.

No dude. The turn around animation for Melee is INSANELY SLOW when turning around at a running pace. If you're talking about dash dancing, completely different and has no real animation like we're talking about.

Try dashing for a distance, then slamming the other direction. It's 100% inefficient. That's a reason why we wavedash, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom