• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testicular Sound Express said:
I got extremely annoyed when i read this

Isn’t that simple? You don’t have to trouble with any settings. You just choose characters and stages.

Names won’t be shown and messages won’t be sent. Neither your identity nor your opponents’ will be known, so you can play without any worries.

they make it seem like this is better. Fuckin A
Yes, I am sure they are going to outright admit it sucks and tell you that if you want a better experience you should buy a 360.

Goddamn these game makers for not being upfront about these sorts of things!

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand whats so hard about grabbing the system code.
It's Nintendo. They have to do things their own way even if it means ignoring what actually works best.

SuomiDude

mugwhump said:
God damnit, 2 minute matches are horrible! Nobody likes them, Sakurai! Nobody! No one! Not anyone! If we can't change it, I doubt I'll play much of this mode at all. :mad:

I mean, I think the sandbag and cpu tag-ins are awesome, but 2 minute matches fucking suck.
2 minute matches are the best IMO :)

Dreavus

Oh... so we can't "vote" on the game type? That does kinda suck. When he was talking about voting for stages and items I just sort of assumed that this included deciding between time/stock as well. A careful reread proves otherwise.

Well maybe he just... he just failed to mention it? D:

scottnak

Dreavus said:
Oh... so we can't "vote" on the game type? That does kinda suck. When he was talking about voting for stages and items I just sort of assumed that this included deciding between time/stock as well. A careful reread proves otherwise.

Well maybe he just... he just failed to mention it? D:

C'mon now. If there's one thing we DO know for sure... is that we don't know ANYTHING for sure! Who knows what Sakurai is hiding...

SuomiDude

mugwhump said:
You don't count!
Haha, 2 minute bonus matches, nothing can beat that. We always choose those options (all items and stages, random stages and random character) and play until one of us gets 100 KOs. :D

Info update is good, but got a bit annoyed that aside from characters, stages and items, theres not much scope on customisable options, especially time, 2 min matches are fine, but having option of a time is better.

Heck, even Jump Ultimate Stars on the DS has better options than this! :p

Dreavus

I'm really clamoring for a stock match mode. It's been years since I've had to endure the KO stealing hell that is a time match, and I don't want to go back!

I am happy that we're seeing some item usage online, though.

Chris R

Dreavus said:
I'm really clamoring for a stock match mode. It's been years since I've had to endure the KO stealing hell that is a time match, and I don't want to go back!

I am happy that we're seeing some item usage online, though.
Stock is seriously FTW because you know just how much more you can take before you lose. I love coming back from like 1-4 down :lol

Odrion

Banned
That bot-replacement for disconnects is the most brilliant idea ever conceived.

I think I will be legitimately pissed if this game doesn't get a 10 from both Gamespot and IGN. If a 10 means that the game is as close to perfect as you can possibly imagine, then I think a game of this magnitude definitely deserves it. Is Sakurai some genius hopped up on caffeine and stimulants who justs keeps going "It would be just awesome if this and that and this and that and this was in here, oh and we really should do that and this and that" and somehow the development team nods it head at everything he says puts it all in there?

Bots replacing disconnected players, that is so clever!

I don't know how much of you actually appreciate that, but god damn it I sure do.
Names won’t be shown and messages won’t be sent. Neither your identity nor your opponents’ will be known, so you can play without any worries.

It is better, oh god it is ever so much better.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I agree with Odrion in every point. Great idea, and I prefer to just hop in an online game than sit for 3 minutes in a room waiting for someone. The idea is great, I have no need to know who I am playing with, I just care to beat them to pulp. Really, don't whine, or make the game yourself.

You know there is a settings screen on the main Online menu, who's to say that you can't set game types there!

Anyway, it's looking really nicely done actually! But I don't think we'll be seeing many new characters now :( I was hoping for more!

I doubt this game will receive a 10, simply because it isn't XBox Live online quality. I can see it coming. I would personally give it an 11/10.

I'm simply happy it's online in the *first place*.

As for spoilers... Sakurai is right. It's easy to get spoiled on the internet.

KittenMaster said:
I doubt this game will receive a 10, simply because it isn't XBox Live online quality. I can see it coming. I would personally give it an 11/10.

I'm simply happy it's online in the *first place*.

As for spoilers... Sakurai is right. It's easy to get spoiled on the internet.

If Edge give this game more then a 7, I will be surprised.

Every other site will give it a 9+

This game is more about sales then reviews, Smash Bros games are never shit, so who cares what reviews it gets.

NeonZ

RoboPlato said:
Does this mean we may start getting unlockables updated on the site before launch?

I doubt it, considering how he still seems worried about people getting spoiled... That indicates he isn't actually spoiling anyone.

Vlad

I think the big thing keeping it from hitting a 10 in a lot of magazines will be the fact that the core gameplay seems to be pretty similar to previous SSB games. It's tweaked, and they've apparently added everything anybody could possibly wish for, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see several "the additions are nice, but it's still just Smash Brothers" type reviews.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah they'll bring up "the gameplay hasn't fundamentally changed" and anyone with more than a couple of braincells would say "and thank god for that."

NTom64

Wow, that's...both convenient and pretty sweet :D

And to think...there's even more Wifi modes that haven't been revealed yet (hopefully) :D

Bossman

I just hate Nintendo's anti-pedo systems. Why can't we see the names of our opponents? Do they really think that people would start to harass their opponents if they knew their names?

Nintendo is just being lazy and figure that its easier to streamline the process and have a weak online system. They aren't doing it "for the children". This is just like when the believed you didn't need online play at all or CDs for games. If they think they can cheap out of it they will.

To be complaining about Nintendo's online policies a year after the Wii came out is pretty poor in my book, as they have said repeatedly that online gaming is not the focus of the Wii(which is obvious if you look at the demographic they have/are going for).As for being cheap to make the mode anonymous, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has a long leash on this and it is his decision not Nintendo's, as Mario Strikers has some of the features you guys are missing.
OT the reason the went with CD's for the N64 was to cut loading times and to avoid piracy.

If Edge give this game more then a 7, I will be surprised.

Subspace mode will bump it up to 8-9( they have been a bit more lenient recently)

Thank god, I haven't played anything online for ages because I'm scared of getting raped by a dirty old hobo.

Slavik81 said:
Seaking.png

SEAKING CONFIMRED BY ALL THREE CHARACTERS,
Post of the year :lol

I like how if someone bails out the character gets taken over by the cpu.

There is no online ranking right? so you just fight online for fun and winning coins/stickers correct?

Rotanibor

Bossman said:
I just hate Nintendo's anti-pedo systems. Why can't we see the names of our opponents? Do they really think that people would start to harass their opponents if they knew their names?

Well in Mario Kart DS, I made my name something like AIM=(i forget now). I was hoping somebody would message that AIM account and we could totally talk Mario Kart, but no one ever did. ): But who knows, the possiblity someone could have harrassed me exsisted!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Count me in as one who likes Nintendo's way of doing things.

Jumping into an online match without waiting in a lobby is my preferred way of playing. I'm one of the few who actually like Nintendo's online ideas.

NeonZ

Diablohead said:
I like how if someone bails out the character gets taken over by the cpu.

There is no online ranking right? so you just fight online for fun and winning coins/stickers correct?

IIRC, there's no ranking for random matches, but friend ones do save stats.

Plinko said:
Count me in as one who likes Nintendo's way of doing things.

Jumping into an online match without waiting in a lobby is my preferred way of playing. I'm one of the few who actually like Nintendo's online ideas.
Yeah I like it, it's kind of like matchmaking where the computer just selects foes and gets straight into the action without going idle in the lobby and waiting for a host to launch the game.

Just a shame theres no stats, unless the game does recoed win and loss tallys.

One thing I'd really like in SSBB is the challenge icon from GH3.
All games should have that on the Wii. Being able to receive a challenge at any time while playing the game is such a useful feature.

JCX

Vlad said:
I think the big thing keeping it from hitting a 10 in a lot of magazines will be the fact that the core gameplay seems to be pretty similar to previous SSB games. It's tweaked, and they've apparently added everything anybody could possibly wish for, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see several "the additions are nice, but it's still just Smash Brothers" type reviews.

I think that will be the rationale, which is pretty dumb considering the other games that have similar sequels that don't change dramatically between them.

Another update filled with stuff we kinda-sorta already new about. Well, at least some good came out of it. I like the idea of the CPU taking over for a character that gets thrown out. I wonder what level they set them on?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
If this game gets mediocre reviews because it's "more of the same", then it'll be a nice bit of hypocrisy from game reviewers. However, it's not like that's anything new.

MisterHero

I got extremely annoyed when i read this

Isn’t that simple? You don’t have to trouble with any settings. You just choose characters and stages.

No they don't. If you want the better part of Online, you'll whip out your friend code. Sure you face 1001 perils on your journey and approach madness to gather and conjour your list but they're clearly better than random matches.

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
The level editor isn't a megaton to you? :(
It is, but it was the only notable thing to happen between page 700 and 800, and yet we only slowed down by 5 days even though page 600-700 had Replays to match the stage builder, momentum carrying over from Sonic, and general momentum from October overall.

On that note, I really shouldn't be posting here right now. >_> See you all in like 12 hours or something.

Grecco

If Halo 3 got 9 and 10s across the board theres no reason why Smash wont either.

Also when are we going to get the Animal Crossing Character. Dont keep me waiting Sakurai!

KrawlMan said:
I'm curious, was it ever confirmed that all the secret characters would be shown through smash bros dojo updates?
I don't think they will be, leaving us to discover Luigi, Jigglypuff and
Phoenix Wright
on our own.

So yeah, I'll take Sakurai's advice and play Subspace before going online. I'm still going to run through Classic mode as Samus first. :D

Insaniac

JCX9 said:
I think that will be the rationale, which is pretty dumb considering the other games that have similar sequels that don't change dramatically between them.

*cough*halo3*cough*

But I agree I can see sites rating it 9 or such because its "too similar to previous Smash bros" *rolls eyes*

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
If this game gets mediocre reviews because it's "more of the same", then it'll be a nice bit of hypocrisy from game reviewers. However, it's not like that's anything new.

Pretty much. Though, on the other hand, Halo 3 did well, and of course, I'm expecting GTA 4 and MGS 4 to probably do well too. If Smash Bros. turns out to be the only "big name sequel" to really suffer and get called out for being "more of the same", then of course, I think that will just do more to vindicate what I've learned back like ten years ago..."professional reviewers" are nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing to set your watch to, either.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think this is where I'm supposed to say something about moneyhats. Then again, Super Mario Galaxy did far better in reviews than I had anticipated.

On an unrelated note, it would be a nice touch if the game determined the level of the CPU replacement of a dropout by the dropout's record: a higher difficulty level if the dropout has more wins than losses. Even though Sakurai says that the online game won't keep track of stats, I'm willing to bet that the information is stored, even if it isn't displayed to the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom