• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danthrax said:
It's from the E4All demo this past summer I think. Either Sakurai changed it or we're getting screenshots from an old build. I would like to think we're getting screenshots of their latest build, though.

I believe from the videos from people playing the demo that the selection screen is originally white but turns black when at least two players picked a character.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Linkhero1 said:
My guess is each player is given a certain amount of coins and they can place as many as they want on whatever stages. The stage with the most coins is the one that will be played. Also note that if it is true you can't see where your opponent is placing there coins. Just my speculation.

If it's anything like Mario Kart DS, each player has one vote ("coin") each and you can see which stages got votes (or even who voted for which stage).

Golden Darkness said:
I believe from the videos from people playing the demo that the selection screen is originally white but turns black when at least two players picked a character.

Oh, interesting, I hadn't heard or seen that.

Insaniac

Danthrax said:
If it's anything like Mario Kart DS, each player has one vote ("coin") each and you can see which stages got votes (or even who voted for which stage).

this is sakurai though, and i'd bet that he'd make it something a little more creative. I mean there are going to be a LOT of levels eventually, and 4 votes just won't do this game justice.

Malfunky

ShockingAlberto said:
Huh.

How old is this?

Because that's black.

It turns black when all characters are selected.

About 7 seconds in:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_IPwNiKBwc

Chumly

Blah blah blah nintendos online sucks......

Voice chat is obviously always a minus but for something like brawl what would you use it for other than trash talk? I mean it would be nice for friends matches but during random matches people would just be calling each other "Fags" "N-word" the entire time.

Other than that I like some of the things he implemented into random matches. Inspecially the computer AI which is really nice. Theres nothing worse than an online match ruined because someone drops out.

Im happy with the stage and item selection for the random matches (Although still a little confused how the item selection will exactly work). 2 minute time matches arent bad. Its a bummer you cant pick between other options. Something like a choice between 2 or 5 or 10 time match or a 3 or 5 or 10 stock match would be nice. But I can live with 2 min time match.

Insaniac

Chumly said:
Blah blah blah nintendos online sucks......

Voice chat is obviously always a minus but for something like brawl what would you use it for other than trash talk? I mean it would be nice for friends matches but during random matches people would just be calling each other "Fags" "N-word" the entire time.

Other than that I like some of the things he implemented into random matches. Inspecially the computer AI which is really nice. Theres nothing worse than an online match ruined because someone drops out.

Im happy with the stage and item selection for the random matches (Although still a little confused how the item selection will exactly work). 3 minute time matches arent bad. Its a bummer you cant pick between other options. Something like a choice between 3 or 5 or 10 time match or a 3 or 5 or 10 stock match would be nice. But I can live with 3 min time match.

I hate to bust anyones bubble but the pic on the Dojo shows 2 minute battles. Course it could be changed by now and its an old pic from the demo.

grandjedi6 said:
Nintendo is just being lazy and figure that its easier to streamline the process and have a weak online system. They aren't doing it "for the children". This is just like when the believed you didn't need online play at all or CDs for games. If they think they can cheap out of it they will.

Aren't you also one of the people who was glad the Wii version of Guitar Hero had no downloadable content? Why do you support Nintendo's backwards thinking on all these decisions.

Nah I'm just against DLC for guitar hero. I mean whats the point of paying for extra songs that should have been in the game to begin with? I'm just trying to make a difference. By me not buying the DLC, maybe they will go back to making full games the way they were intended to be instead of:
" 90% of the game is here but you got to buy the other 10% even though the first 90% was full price. "

Sciz said:
Am I the only one feeling suspicious enough to think that there might be other types of "something Brawl" matches available besides Basic that he isn't showing us yet?
Sakurai Brawl.

Challenge the SSBB creator in an online match! :D

Danthrax said:
I imagine they will shrink the icons down so that eight characters are on a line, on three lines, for the starting roster. So, the 23 that have been revealed plus the Random icon.

wi-fi04_071207d-l.jpg

I think it makes sense if the 23 who have been revealed were all starters and none of the unlockables have been revealed yet. It especially makes sense considering it's more logical to have an even number of icons on the character select screen, and with one of them a Random icon there would be one character fewer than an even number. In other words, 23 fits.

How big are the Melee icons compared to the Brawl icons anyway?

Dreavus

When I saw the title of this update in my RSS link I was dismayed... but having actually read it, it doesn't seem too bad. Lots of info here!

Does anyone else find it strange that Zelda and Snake are in the in-game screenshot, but not on the character selection screen? PLOT HOLE DETECTED!

Danthrax said:
Which would give more credence to spending coins to influence the vote. The more coins you put on the level, the more likely it is to be chosen.

In fact, if that's not it, then I want it to be like I just outlined. Think of the strategy: you have more of a chance of getting this level that you like chosen (which could give you a tactical advantage), but you still might lose and not get your coins back.

Insaniac

Dreavus said:
When I saw the title of this update in my RSS link I was dismayed... but having actually read it, it doesn't seem too bad. Lots of info here!

Does anyone else find it strange that Zelda and Snake are in the in-game screenshot, but not on the character selection screen? PLOT HOLE DETECTED!

Most likely not finalized character select screen, so no plot hole yet.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Golden Darkness said:
How big are the Melee icons compared to the Brawl icons anyway?

(Ignore the stupid fake characters on this screen; the icon sizes are unchanged in this Photochop:)

dextercharacterselectscreen.gif
wi-fi04_071207d-l.jpg

Brawl ones are bigger. But I remember Melee's icons got smaller as more characters were unlocked; I'm positive they'll do this for Brawl as well.

Linkhero1

perfectchaos007 said:
Hmm it will be interesting to see if this thread grows faster or slower after the game releases.
It could go either way.

1. People will go on to complain about something missing or taken out, because they always do, might not have anything to do with SmashDojo but w/e, they'll come to this thread.

The second and most likely

2. People will be too busy playing Brawl to care about posting in the SmashDojo thread.

Linkhero1 said:
It could go either way.

1. People will go on to complain about something missing or taken out, because they always do, might not have anything to do with SmashDojo but w/e, they'll come to this thread.

The second and most likely

2. People will be too busy playing Brawl to care about posting in the SmashDojo thread.

But what if the thread title gets changed to the official Smash bros. discussion thread? hmmmm

Edit: beat

Linkhero1

Insaniac said:
depends if it becomes the official thread right?
Could happen but who knows what's going on in sp0rk's mind? He might just close this thread forcing us to create a new one :(, but I doubt it.

KevinCow

Banned
Once the game comes out in Japan, this thread will significantly slow down because people will be in the official thread asking questions about the game. And sp0rsk has said several times that this thread won't become the official discussion thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You know, I'll bet you unlock new online game modes, just like you unlocked features and modes in SSBM.

BTW, 45,000th post of awesome -- this thread just keeps on rolling

Linkhero1 said:
Could happen but who knows what's going on in sp0rks mind? He might just close this thread forcing us to create a new one :(, but I doubt it.

Speaking of Sp0rsk. Where is my favorite mod? He hasn't posted here yet tonight.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Insaniac said:
depends if it becomes the official thread right?

I can guarantee you that Sp0rsks will not let this become the official thread. In fact there is a good chance this thread will be locked because people will keep trying to make it the official thread

Economan

grandjedi6 said:
Nintendo is just being lazy and figure that its easier to streamline the process and have a weak online system. They aren't doing it "for the children". This is just like when the believed you didn't need online play at all or CDs for games. If they think they can cheap out of it they will.

Aren't you also one of the people who was glad the Wii version of Guitar Hero had no downloadable content? Why do you support Nintendo's backwards thinking on all these decisions.

I agree with this post. It seems as if nintendo is growing complacent in terms of online functionality. I do not think that this can be good for them down the line.

Also, for the cpu tag team thingie... I don't know how well that will turn out in reality. Think about it. If your playing someone and their online connection is going to hickup, they're not going to be dropped out right away. The smash network will most likely try to give them about 2 or 5 seconds or so to reconnect. If not, of course, they'd be dropped and the cpu would tag in. The problem is that between the time the character drops and the cpu takes over, your opponent will be doing nothing! Or, as in many cases that I've seen in WoW, your opponent may decide to walk up against a wall for a few seconds. The result is a shattering of the ignorant bliss that would come with cpu tag team. If this scenario were true, there'd be little motivation for you to stay in the match, as we all know how easy smash cpus are. I hope I'm wrong on this.

Insaniac

Linkhero1 said:
Could happen but who knows what's going on in sp0rk's mind? He might just close this thread forcing us to create a new one :(, but I doubt it.

I think he may just have a new one made cause this ones so damn big it'd be pretty annoying to sift through.

justchris

Wait a second, it just occurred to me, we don't have 23 characters. We actually only have 22. Samus & Zamus take up the same character slot, just like Zelda & Sheik did in Melee. If you can select Zamus from start (which I assume you can), I'd assume it'd be a button press like it was for Sheik, so that means we probably do have at least one more character reveal coming.

Insaniac

justchris said:
Wait a second, it just occurred to me, we don't have 23 characters. We actually only have 22. Samus & Zamus take up the same character slot, just like Zelda & Sheik did in Melee. If you can select Zamus from start (which I assume you can), I'd assume it'd be a button press like it was for Sheik, so that means we probably do have at least one more character reveal coming.

this is speculation we can't know for sure if Sakurai wants to change this. Perhaps he wants ZSS to get more recognition and will give her her own selection button

KevinCow

Banned
justchris said:
That always throws me off when I try to calculate the number of characters, too.

Dammit, I'm tired of all the speculation! I just want to play the game :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
justchris said:

I have a feeling he won't do to ZSS what he did to Sheik. I think she'll have her own icon. I guess we'll just have to find out though.

mugwhump

God damnit, 2 minute matches are horrible! Nobody likes them, Sakurai! Nobody! No one! Not anyone! If we can't change it, I doubt I'll play much of this mode at all. :mad:

I mean, I think the sandbag and cpu tag-ins are awesome, but 2 minute matches fucking suck.

I got extremely annoyed when i read this

Isn’t that simple? You don’t have to trouble with any settings. You just choose characters and stages.

Names won’t be shown and messages won’t be sent. Neither your identity nor your opponents’ will be known, so you can play without any worries.

they make it seem like this is better. Fuckin A

justchris

Insaniac said:
this is speculation we can't know for sure if Sakurai wants to change this. Perhaps he wants ZSS to get more recognition and will give her her own selection button

Danthrax said:
I have a feeling he won't do to ZSS what he did to Sheik. I think she'll have her own icon. I guess we'll just have to find out though.

Yes, that is a possibility, but I've seen no indication that it's likely. But Sakurai does like to surprise, it seems.

Dartastic

Testicular Sound Express said:

Isn’t that simple? You don’t have to trouble with any settings. You just choose characters and stages.

Names won’t be shown and messages won’t be sent. Neither your identity nor your opponents’ will be known, so you can play without any worries.

It's Nintendo. Seriously. What did you expect?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Testicular Sound Express said:

Sakurai knows your life is busy and difficult. He just wants to help you out man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom