• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the Smashboards guy is on the up and up, the extra layer is that Serebii is sometimes kind of stupid (anyone who ever read his "I AM TRANSLATING THE EMERALD SCANS" newsposts can attest to this).

RedBoot

ShockingAlberto said:
Assuming the Smashboards guy is on the up and up, the extra layer is that Serebii is sometimes kind of stupid (anyone who ever read his "I AM TRANSLATING THE EMERALD SCANS" newsposts can attest to this).

Yeah, Serebii's kind of an idiot, but I assume that he wouldn't get pictures wrong. It's more likely that the Smashboards guy is lying.

Fireblend

Banned
Oh come on, I don't believe that for a second. If it is true I shall celebrate the biggest megaton in the history of forever with you all, but until then, this is the most obviously fake rumor ever. I like how he uses the "I'm not sure..." technique to enhance his persuasion skills. I'm not buying it tho.

TreIII

Who wouldn't? He's basically the only other character who's as prolific in appearances as Samus, herself, in the Metroid series.

If Ridley is real, he's probably going to be my main. I can't tell you how long I've dreamed of the chance of actually being able to control the bad-ass Space Drakkie himself. :D

Tim-E

Color me surprised if Ridley is actually in the game. That's one character people constantly brought up I thought would be too ridiculous to make it to the game, not that I'm complaining if he's actually there.

Malfunky

Tim-E said:
Color me surprised if Ridley is actually in the game. That's one character people constantly brought up I thought would be too ridiculous to make it to the game, not that I'm complaining if he's actually there.

Is he really all that ridiculous, though? I'd consider him just as ridiculous as Charizard, and that character is part of an even more ridiculous one.

TreIII

Malfunky said:
Is he really all that ridiculous, though? I'd consider him just as ridiculous as Charizard, and that character is part of an even more ridiculous one.

Pretty much. If they were able to some how make the likes of Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud work as fighting game characters, surely Ridley could have a piece of the pie, too.

AMUSIX

Jiggy37 said:
I went back and assigned point values to these sets of four days, where a bad update was worth 0 points, an okay update 1-2, and a good update 2-3. And this is what they'd look like to me:
[bunch of updates and numbers]
Interesting, but, realy, I think ANY character update is worth at least 2 points. Yes, even characters we knew about, they come with official character glamor shot and four character-specific images that often display a new tweak to moves, or interesting emotes and facial animations, and highlight the detail in costume/character design. Plus they add a face to the potential starting line-up.

Jiggy

Count me in on the "really surprised if Ridley's in" train. And I expected King Dedede, by the way, even when a lot of others didn't, in case this helps crush anyone's hopes. :p

AMUSIX said:
Interesting, but, realy, I think ANY character update is worth at least 2 points. Yes, even characters we knew about, they come with official character glamor shot and four character-specific images that often display a new tweak to moves, or interesting emotes and facial animations, and highlight the detail in costume/character design. Plus they add a face to the potential starting line-up.
Yeah, I'm probably a lot harder on character updates than almost anyone else in this thread unless they're full newcomers.
Whenever I get around to putting up my ranking of the character updates, it's only going to be the six newcomers who weren't known from E3 2006 (plus whatever newcomer cues me to put up that ranking in the first place); I kind of yawn at everything else.

I'm also pretty hard on special moves and final smash updates. Give me music, stages, good game modes, and Subspace Emissary. :D

Firestorm

I'm with Jiggy. Game Mode updates are actually my favourites. Just the last few haven't been too hot. Character updates are second, and only if they're new or high chance of not coming back (Ice Climbers ^_^). I couldn't care less about Final Smashes or Items.

Linkhero1

Firestorm said:
I'm with Jiggy. Game Mode updates are actually my favourites. Just the last few haven't been too hot. Character updates are second, and only if they're new or high chance of not coming back (Ice Climbers ^_^). I couldn't care less about Final Smashes or Items.
For me it's Characters then Subspace updates. I don't really know why but I find them more exciting.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I also like Subspace updates, mainly because the Subspace Emissary as a whole has come very close to being my favourite part of this entire game. Final Smashes (once I saw Lucas') aren't very exciting, and neither are normal items and Pokeballs. Special moves for a newcomer are good, but they're boring for veterans unless they've received some kind of overhaul.

I really do want Ridley to be a playable character and have Mother Brain, Kraid, or Phantoon do the Subspace boss duty. Ridley's a significant part of the Metroid mythos and he'd add some variety to Metroid's lineup of playable characters. Besides, he's a villain that deserves to go toe-to-toe with Bowser and Ganon.

Firestorm

I don't like Subspace updates too much as it's the closest thing to a story mode in this game and I usually don't like having those spoiled. I didn't really like how they put some cutscenes in the updates =/

Milabrega

ShockingAlberto said:
Is it time to declare that Smashboards posting fake yet?

Proven fake in the Corocoro thread.

Firestorm said:
I don't like Subspace updates too much as it's the closest thing to a story mode in this game and I usually don't like having those spoiled. I didn't really like how they put some cutscenes in the updates =/

With any luck, those cutscenes are just the intros to a very long and deep story mode.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think that all of the cutscenes we've seen thus far take place very early in the story mode. "Donkey Kong Makes His Stand" and "Fox's Misfortune" both seem to be focused on introducing their titular characters. I doubt that the Kongs' fight with the Koopa Troop, for instance, will last very long (since they have to enter the conflict with the Subspace Army at some point) and the whole affair seems to me to be a dramatic way to bring Donkey Kong and Diddy into the story.

As for the scene with Fox, Diddy, and the Rayquaza, I doubt that will go beyond a quick boss fight with the Rayquaza. I don't think anything actually pivotal (aside from the debacle in the arena and the fight with Petey Piranha) has been seen yet.

If corocoro is truly going to cover the full starter roster, then someone special is certainly going to be revealed tonight... finally, finally, finally... Captain Falcon makes his return.

Jiggy

Sticking with Zelda final smash. And remember what MrCheez noted. If we don't get a character, moves, or final smash tonight, this'll be the first week ever to go without something character-related. :eek:

Insaniac

ZSS final smash tonight

"Wha... what's happening to Samus?"

"She rises up, and is engulfed in light!"

"She returns with her Powersuit back!"

"That's all that happens, nothing else. I was lazy!"

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Suburban Cowboy said:
who suspected that? I never had that impression
Like the F-zero stage from Melee (not big blue, the other one) or the Isle Delfino stage in brawl, I thought the platform would move and drop the players in different sections of the track.

This game keeps track of your record when playing against friends, right? So that means in 4 player matches there can only be one winner and the other three players will recieve a loss. So I guess unless you're consistently a great player, most people will have much more losses than wins.

Jiggy

DIrtyWeasel said:
This game keeps track of your record when playing against friends, right? So that means in 4 player matches there can only be one winner and the other three players will recieve a loss. So I guess unless you're consistently a great player, most people will have much more losses than wins.
4-player matches should be done in teams anyway or else it's just a bunch of politicking. >_> Whatever the case, though, I'm sure it at least records point values rather than just straight wins and losses. I mean, someone could have the highest points in a bunch of stock matches while losing every time as long as they were good at scavenging KOs.

dwin45

DIrtyWeasel said:

Maybe it'll just keep track of how many times you got 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc.

dwin45

they should just do a Smash Bros with every Nintendo franchise. Mario Kart should feature Link as a racer. Mario Strikers should have Samus as a captain. etc. etc. etc.

Jiggy

I don't know about every franchise, but DDR Mario Mix really, really should have been DDR Nintendo Mix; they wiped out at least 85% of that game's potential just by limiting it to a single franchise. (I do realize that there could have been an issue with licensing that many first-party franchises to Konami, but they could have gone the other way around so that it was Nintendo licensing DDR. Turned out to work really well for Tetris DS about half a year later.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I predict the greatest thing we could possibly hope for...

...Chimchar.
Chimchar.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom