• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
I just did some reading about Stafy and...

Wow. These games look like a lot of fun. Why didn't they ever leave Japan?

Who knows. Maybe they thought it was too cute for the West. Look what they already have to do to Kirby...

But any way, nice ATs. I was wondering if Stafy was going to get any love, and now, here he is. Funny that he and Kirby can appear in the same place, together... :D

Jiggy

Personally, I would have been happy to see Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, Saki, Starfy, and Waluigi playable. (And also Knuckle Joe, but he never had even the remotest of chances.) Assist trophies are usually love-hate for me for just this reason, since I end up glad to see the representation but also the slightest bit disappointed. (Moreso when they're a relatively major character like Goroh or Lyn than someone minor or obscure like Saki or Waluigi.)

But whatever. At least most people in here are glad Waluigi's not playable, so Sakurai wins again. >_> And I can't say I would have played as Waluigi at all anyway.

scottnak

WildArms said:
After all these characters, if Waluigi doesn't make any appearance in this game whatsoever, (and no, stickers don't count) I will cry. For real.

Back from the stone ages, a post by wildarms! He will not be crying!

Stuneseht

Iam Canadian said:
When has this ever stopped Nintendo?

Besides, I love Kirby, so this series seems relevant to my interests.
they're fun games,
but i think nintendo didn't release them over in america because of the similarities with kirby.

justchris

Nash said:
Death by Stafy will be a very satisfying kill ...

Oooooh, I hope each Assist Trophy gives their own little reward (Like Pokemon KO, except you'll get Stafy KO, Waluigi KO, Lyn KO). I hope it also keeps track of how many times each person has won each award (so I can tell just how cowardly my friends REALLY are).

Pringo

Banned
Hmm, nice that Stafy's going to be included in Brawl. I wouldn't have thought that he would've made it in, not that I was really thinking of him in Brawl. I kinda want to try out the Densetsu no Stafy games sometime.

And it looks like Waluigi won't be playable. He's one of those characters that I didn't really care either way if he was playable or not. I'm fine with him being an assist trophy.

Speevy

Banned
Regardless of how the name is spelled, no one in the US knows what the heck he is.

I think they should just go all out with the Assist Trophies.

Doshin, Gatling Groink, Waverace character, just go nuts.

traveler

Not Wario
Speevy said:
Regardless of how the name is spelled, no one in the US knows what the heck he is.

I think they should just go all out with the Assist Trophies.

Doshin, Gatling Groink, Waverace character, just go nuts.

To complement the addition of Olimar to the character charts and the annoucement of Pikmin 3 for the Wii amirite?

Ironballs

assist14_071214d-l.jpg

I lol'ed

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Personally, I would have been happy to see Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, Saki, Starfy, and Waluigi playable. (And also Knuckle Joe, but he never had even the remotest of chances.) Assist trophies are usually love-hate for me for just this reason, since I end up glad to see the representation but also the slightest bit disappointed. (Moreso when they're a relatively major character like Goroh or Lyn than someone minor or obscure like Saki or Waluigi.)

But whatever. At least most people in here are glad Waluigi's not playable, so Sakurai wins again. >_> And I can't say I would have played as Waluigi at all anyway.

I like Assist Trophies because they give representation to characters who otherwise wouldn't have appeared at all. Although I do prefer Assists that would have been entirely unfeasible as playable characters (like Andross), mainly because Sakurai doesn't taunt us with lines like "it makes you wish he was a playable character!".

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:

But he's so gangly and angular. Even as just an assist trophy, his animations are going to be awesome. How can you not love him? ;(

CoolS

I don't care about Waluigi being an AT, but Starfy seemed like he could be a perfect option for a playable character.
Plus hes SO CUTE!

Iam Canadian

I'll never understand the Waluigi hate. I mean, yes, he's not particularly original. But he's not bland or annoying like Bowser Jr. Waluigi is just filled with personality, and he probably has more character in his animations than Mario and Luigi combined. I mean, you have to respect a guy who doesn't just act like a jerk, but revels in being a jerk.

RedBoot

JohnTinker said:
Its high time for some Golden Sun love.

Part of me thinks we won't see anything from Golden Sun in this game.

It's the same part of me that thinks we won't see anything Startropics either. And I tend to agree with it.

Jiggy

-Assist trophies advance to 14 updates, up from 12. It was a good thing I did my rankings a little while ago, because I realized that my figure was not counting the stealth Lakitu. So actually assist trophies advance to 15 updates, up from 13, and are now tied with special moves.

-Our five least recent update types become character profile, story mode, special moves, normal item, and how to play.

-This closing to the 30th Dojo week has brought with it the 26th double update.

-Mario moves to 13 updates and takes the position of runner-up to Pokemon back from Kirby.

-36 days of updates without a character, 29 to go until the Japanese release date. Hang in there! Ikimashou, daijobou da yo, gambatte yo, etc. I know I've probably butchered the contexts on these. Tell me later.

Gaborn

Iam Canadian said:
I'll never understand the Waluigi hate. I mean, yes, he's not particularly original. But he's not bland or annoying like Bowser Jr. Waluigi is just filled with personality, and he probably has more character in his animations than Mario and Luigi combined. I mean, you have to respect a guy who doesn't just act like a jerk, but revels in being a jerk.

I think in a sense it's the New Coke effect. It's not that it's necessarily BAD (though New Coke was pretty bad imo) it's just not FAMILIAR, it's not classic Nintendo, it's an interloper, Wario at least has been around for longer (and people hated him when he was first introduced because he was new). I bet the longer Waluigi is around and the more games he's in the more people will warm to him.

Iam Canadian

It's too bad Waluigi doesn't bring out his golf club or Mario Strikers soccer ball ("You want the ball? Here!") from time to time.

RedBoot

Gaborn said:
I bet the longer Waluigi is around and the more games he's in the more people will warm to him.

It would help if Nintendo would actually put him in games besides Mario Sports games. That was part of the reason why I wanted to see him playable here. Come on, Super Wario Bros, guest spot in Wario Ware, Luigi VS Waluigi, the ideas write themselves.

Jiggy37 said:
-Mario moves to 13 updates and takes the position of runner-up to Pokemon back from Kirby.

Interesting, so Waluigi is part of the Mario-verse, but not in the Wario-subverse?
Wonder why.... is it because Waluigi isn't in any of the Wario-themed games?

Dreavus

Wow, I figured out right away that Stafy was an assist trophy, (from the RSS feed title) but Waluigi had me fooled there for a few seconds. I don't mind either way, but it would have been nice to have another character, if only to end the drought.

Sciz

Gaborn said:
Wario at least has been around for longer (and people hated him when he was first introduced because he was new).

Eh? I was under the impression that Wario was popular when he debuted. What with promptly getting his own series and all.

KevinCow

Banned
Gaborn said:
I think in a sense it's the New Coke effect. It's not that it's necessarily BAD (though New Coke was pretty bad imo) it's just not FAMILIAR, it's not classic Nintendo, it's an interloper, Wario at least has been around for longer (and people hated him when he was first introduced because he was new). I bet the longer Waluigi is around and the more games he's in the more people will warm to him.
The main problem people have with Waluigi, I think, is that he seems like a filler character who was only created to give Wario a partner in the Mario spin-offs. He's never even appeared in a main game.

Speevy

Banned
Golden Darkness said:
Interesting, so Waluigi is part of the Mario-verse, but not in the Wario-subverse?

I've always wondered why Wario wasn't in any of the console Mario games. He'd make a better foe than
Shadow Mario
or
Bowser Jr.
anyway.

Iam Canadian

RedBoot said:
It would help if Nintendo would actually put him in games besides Mario Sports games. That was part of the reason why I wanted to see him playable here. Come on, Super Wario Bros, guest spot in Wario Ware, Luigi VS Waluigi, the ideas write themselves.

You know, I'm actually very surprised that Waluigi has never appeared outside of the spinoffs. I can see him functioning in a "player 2" capacity in a Wario platformer or as a member of Wario Ware's cast of billions. I don't expect him to become a Mario boss (since not even Wario has done a stint as a Mario villain since, what, Super Mario Land 2?), but his lack of integration in Wario's world is surprising.

I can understand them not using Daisy since she's kind of redundant, but Waluigi could fit quite a few roles outside the spinoffs.

Gaborn

Sciz said:
Eh? I was under the impression that Wario was popular when he debuted. What with promptly getting his own series and all.

Well, I think Nintendo pushed him a lot, but as I recall there was a negative feeling from some fans because he wasn't the familiar villain in Bowser/King Koopa.

Sciz

Golden Darkness said:

Pretty much. Diamond City and the WarioWare cast are technically part of the overall Marioverse. But then so are the DK Isles, and Donkey Kong still gets his own series. Nintendo has a certain cast established for Mario, and then lets all of the sub-franchises do their own thing.

Gaborn said:
Well, I think Nintendo pushed him a lot, but as I recall there was a negative feeling from some fans because he wasn't the familiar villain in Bowser/King Koopa.

Huh. Makes me wonder what the reaction to Tatanga and Daisy was. Couldn't have been very positive.

Iam Canadian

Gaborn said:

At the time of Wario's debut, I wouldn't think he'd be more significant than Tatanga or Wart or any other one-shot Mario villains that have taken a crack at the final boss position over the years. Of course, I suppose that Wario did get more publicity, appearing in SML2's commercials and whatnot.

Was Wario created with the intention of springboarding a spinoff franchise or was Wario just a breakout character?

Jiggy

Jiggy's Opinionated Rankings of the Assist Trophy Updates

What is an Assist Trophy? > Mr. Resetti > Excitebike > Knuckle Joe > Lakitu > Gray Fox > Saki > Lyn > Waluigi > Little Mac > Starfy > Dr. Wright > Devil > Andross > Samurai Goroh

Disclaimer: Rankings are based more on the impact of each than my attachment to the characters. The first announcement of assist trophies commands huge respect from me, obviously; Resetti is still the most unique of the bunch; Excitebike and Lakitu demonstrate old-school diversity; Knuckle Joe has multiple moves unlike most of the others; Gray Fox is a third-party assist; Saki's obscure. Starfy's an interesting case because I wanted him playable, so it's more disappointment than anything that keeps him pretty low on the list.

Sciz said:
But he's so gangly and angular. Even as just an assist trophy, his animations are going to be awesome. How can you not love him? ;(
I like Waluigi more than most people, which is why I would have liked to see him playable. I just wouldn't have been one of those actually playing as him. >_> Seems like he'd be one of those funky range-based melee characters that I tend to never use in any game anywhere.

Danthrax said:
Beg pardon?
Go ahead, lay it on me. How wrong did I get it?

Iam Canadian said:
I can understand them not using Daisy since she's kind of redundant
I want my Super Princesses 2D platformer. :( Peach can float and Daisy can do more damage and jump higher, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom