• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
"I’ll do it! I’m doing it!

...He never says anything like that."

:lol

Seems like Stafy has more production values put into him. Whats up with that?

I like how Waluigi has a tennis racket. Sakurai knows his origins and why he cant become a real character.

Great update.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm thinking we need to just make a list of all Nintendo "franchises" not yet represented in Brawl... it might be easier than tracking franchises that ARE present at this point.

Here's a preliminary list, culled from The Nintendo Database. I trimmed out any games that already seem to have character/music/item/whatever references in Brawl... how many do you think we'll eliminate by the time the game launches?

Stuff in bold represent games that had trophies/music/items in Melee.

(I'm making no guarantees this list is currently complete, nor up to date; however, it generally seems to be accurate.)

b]1080° Snowboarding[/b]
Alleyway
Band Brothers
Battleclash
Brain Age
Card Hero
Chibi Robo
Clu Clu Land
Custom Robo
Doshin the Giant
Duck Hunt
Electroplankton
Eternal Darkness (the ip belongs to Nintendo, I believe)
F-1 Race
Game & Watch
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
Hajimari no Mori
Happy Panechu!
HeliFire
Hogan's Alley
Joy Mecha Fight
Kaeru no Tameni Kanha Naru (the guy that turns into a frog -- cameo in Link's Awakening)
Kururin
Mach Rider
Magical Vacation
Marvellous
Mole Mania
Nazo no Murasamejou
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents
Panepon / Puzzle League (Lip's Stick item)
Picross
Polarium
Radar Mission
RadarScope
Sennen Kazoku
Shin Oni Ga Shima
Short Order & Eggsplode
Sky Skipper
Solar Striker
Space Fever
Space Firebird / Space Demon
Space Launcher
Star Tropics
Stunt Race FX
Sutte Hakkun
Tantei Club
Teleroboxer
Time Twist
To The Earth
Tomato Adventure
Trace Memory
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Wild Gunman
Yakuman (Mahjong)
Yuu Yuu Ki

RedBoot

Jiggy37 said:
Jiggy's Opinionated Rankings of the Assist Trophy Updates

What is an Assist Trophy? > Mr. Resetti > Excitebike > Knuckle Joe > Lakitu > Gray Fox > Saki > Lyn > Waluigi > Little Mac > Starfy > Dr. Wright > Devil > Andross > Samurai Goroh

Disclaimer: Rankings are based more on the impact of each than my attachment to the characters. The first announcement of assist trophies commands huge respect from me, obviously; Resetti is still the most unique of the bunch; Excitebike and Lakitu demonstrate old-school diversity; Knuckle Joe has multiple moves unlike most of the others; Gray Fox is a third-party assist; Saki's obscure. Starfy's an interesting case because I wanted him playable, so it's more disappointment than anything that keeps him pretty low on the list.

You rank Resetti high because he's unique, but then you stick Devil third from last? He should even get obscure points like Saki does.

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
I want my Super Princesses 2D platformer. :( Peach can float and Daisy can do more damage and jump higher, or something like that.

This just made me think of some theoretical Disney-esque "Nintendo Princesses" spinoff franchise.

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
DavidDayton said:
I'm thinking we need to just make a list of all Nintendo "franchises" not yet represented in Brawl... it might be easier than tracking franchises that ARE present at this point.

Here's a preliminary list, culled from The Nintendo Database. I trimmed out any games that already seem to have character/music/item/whatever references in Brawl... how many do you think we'll eliminate by the time the game launches?

(I'm making no guarantees this list is currently complete, nor up to date; however, it generally seems to be accurate.)

• Well, I'm pretty sure we'll see Mach Rider represented somehow, as he was in Melee.

An Urban Champion reference wouldn't surprise me, either.

Out of the rest...who knows? Sakurai pulls out the most obscure bits of Nintendo lore for these games.

Jiggy

DavidDayton said:

[...]

Magical Vacation
I'd kind of like to see this, now that you mention it. Although inevitably they'd use the male hero instead of the female one just to spite me.

RedBoot said:
You rank Resetti high because he's unique, but then you stick Devil third from last? He should even get obscure points like Saki does.
I said they're based "more" on their impact than my attachment, but it does factor in. I just think Devil will be one annoying assist since I never particularly liked the screen randomly scrolling in Icicle Mountain. >_> (Fixed scrolling is awesome, though.)

Sciz said:
This just made me think of some theoretical Disney-esque "Nintendo Princesses" spinoff franchise.

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not.
Let's not go too far now. D:

RedBoot

DavidDayton said:

Pilotwings has a sticker, though I don't know if that's significant enough to count it.

I imagine most of the bolded stuff will show up in some fashion. Particularly Balloon Fight and Mach Rider, the Smash development crew seems to like them.

superbank said:
"I’ll do it! I’m doing it!

...He never says anything like that."

:lol

Seems like Stafy has more production values put into him. Whats up with that?
Most of the assists we've seen so far, especially the ugly looking ones, are just using their Melee trophy models.

Stuff that looks best, like Saki, Starfy, etc. are new

DDayton

Iam Canadian said:
Well, I'm pretty sure we'll see Mach Rider represented somehow, as he was in Melee.

An Urban Champion reference wouldn't surprise me, either.

Out of the rest...who knows? Sakurai pulls out the most obscure bits of Nintendo lore for these games.

I went ahead and bolded all the stuff that had references in Melee (to my knowledge).

I think a Chibi Robo assist trophy is likely.

Gaborn

Iam Canadian said:
At the time of Wario's debut, I wouldn't think he'd be more significant than Tatanga or Wart or any other one-shot Mario villains that have taken a crack at the final boss position over the years. Of course, I suppose that Wario did get more publicity, appearing in SML2's commercials and whatnot.

Was Wario created with the intention of springboarding a spinoff franchise or was Wario just a breakout character?

The obvious difference between Wario and Tatanga or Wart is... he's a MARIO character. I mean, he and Mario are physically very similar, they're... two halves. Not unlike Waluigi and Luigi. You KNOW a character is going to stay (for good or ill) and is "storyline breaking" in a way WART really isn't, or never had to be. Just like... if Link had a brother named Brink, and they created a game where his goal was to rescue his boyfriend, Prince Darius with Link playing a cameo role or having an alternate quest. Then Brink would ALWAYS be a character or in the picture at least in future Zelda games. or like chickens in LTTP (that was the first game with the chickens right? Or am I misremembering?) that have since appeared in every Zelda game.

Firestorm

Gaborn said:
The obvious difference between Wario and Tatanga or Wart is... he's a MARIO character. I mean, he and Mario are physically very similar, they're... two halves. Not unlike Waluigi and Luigi. You KNOW a character is going to stay (for good or ill) and is "storyline breaking" in a way WART really isn't, or never had to be. Just like... if Link had a brother named Brink, and they created a game where his goal was to rescue his boyfriend, Prince Darius with Link playing a cameo role or having an alternate quest. Then Brink would ALWAYS be a character or in the picture at least in future Zelda games. or like chickens in LTTP (that was the first game with the chickens right? Or am I misremembering?) that have since appeared in every Zelda game.

Chickens need to be an assist trophy.

Jiggy

scottnak said:
Actually, My feeling was right... there was a banbet around Waluigi...
and it was from WildArms too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8270074&postcount=32137

Though he hasn't posted since October...
Did anyone take him up on it or was it one-sided?
Whatever the case, I still think Bomberman will be in anyway, so it should work out--Hudson's just been so close to Nintendo that I'll be surprised if it doesn't end up happening. We'll see, though.

Edit:
Firestorm said:
QFT--and not the lame Twilight Princess ones either. LttP/OoT style all the way.

RedBoot

Jiggy37 said:
I said they're based "more" on their impact than my attachment, but it does factor in. I just think Devil will be one annoying assist since I never particularly liked the screen randomly scrolling in Icicle Mountain. >_> (Fixed scrolling is awesome, though.)

Well, nobody liked Icicle Mountain.

I love the Devil Assist Trophy because it fits the game it came from so well. Plus that sort of thing will always be hilarious in multi-player. I just love stuff that screws with people like that, the Nintendog assist trophy is another one of my favorites.

KevinCow

Banned
I'd like to see the dude from Geist appear as an assist trophy, because I think Nintendo owns that license. He'd pop out and possess a random character, essentially replacing that character with a computer for a few seconds.

Sciz

If PictoChat can make it as a stage, there's no way we're getting Brawl without a Brain Training reference of some sort.

DDayton

Iam Canadian said:
You might want to bold Sheriff, since it had a trophy in Melee.

I had forgotten that... edited.

I know I missed one other edit... what's the Japanese name for New Ogre/Demon Island?

Here's what I think each series should get:

1080° Snowboarding - Trophy/Music/Sticker
Alleyway - Nothing
Balloon Fight - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music/Item
Band Brothers - Assist Trophy/Trophy/Sticker/Music
Battleclash - ?
Brain Age - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music/Item
Card Hero - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music
Chibi Robo - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music/Item/
Clu Clu Land - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music/Item
Custom Robo - Playable character/Sticker/Trophy/Music/Item/Stage/Assist Trophy
Doshin the Giant - Trophy/Sticker
Duck Hunt - Playable character/Sticker/Trophy/Assist Trophy (if no playable)/Music/Stage (combining it, Hogan's Alley, and Gumshoe)
Electroplankton - Trophy/Sticker
F-1 Race - Sticker
Game & Watch - Playable character/Trophy/Sticker/Item/Stage/Music/Assist Trophy (maybe?)
Golden Sun - Trophy/Sticker
Gumshoe - Trophy/Sticker/Stage (read above)/Music
Hajimari no Mori - ?
Happy Panechu! - ?
HeliFire - Sticker
Hogan's Alley - Sticker/Trophy/Stage (read above)/Music
Joy Mecha Fight - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music
Kaeru no Tameni Kanha Naru - Playable character/Assist Trophy/Music/Item/Sticker/Trophy/Stage
Kururin - Sticker/Trophy/Music
Mach Rider - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music
Magical Vacation - Trophy/Sticker
Marvellous - ?
Mole Mania - Trophy/Sticker/Music/Playable character/Stage/Assist Trophy (Stage only if in, and AT only if not in)
Nazo no Murasamejou - Playable character/Trophy/Sticker/Music/Stage/Item
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents - Assist Trophy/Music (maybe?)/Trophy/Sticker
Panepon / Puzzle League - Playable character/Music/Stage/Item/Sticker/Trophy
Picross - Sticker/Music
Pikmin - Playable character/Item/Trophy/Sticker/Music/Stage
Pilotwings - Assist Trophy/Music/Trophy/Sticker
Polarium - None
Radar Mission - None
RadarScope - Sticker/Trophy
Sennen Kazoku - ?
Sheriff - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music
Shin Oni Ga Shima - ?
Short Order & Eggsplode - ?
Sky Skipper - Sticker/Trophy
Solar Striker - ?
Space Fever - ?
Space Firebird / Space Demon - ?
Space Launcher - ?
Star Tropics - Playable character/Assist Trophy/Item/Music/Stage/Trophy/Sticker
Stunt Race FX - *shrug*
Sutte Hakkun - Assist Trophy/Music/Sticker/Trophy
Tantei Club - Playable character (maybe)/Assist Trophy (if no pc)/Music/Stage (if pc)/Trophy/Sticker
Teleroboxer - Meh
Time Twist - ?
To The Earth - ?
Tomato Adventure - Trophy/Sticker
Trace Memory - Trophy/Sticker
Urban Champion - Trophy/Sticker/Music
Wave Race - Trophy/Sticker/Music
Wild Gunman - - Trophy/Sticker
Yakuman (Mahjong) - *shrug*
Yuu Yuu Ki - ?

A lot of little-known franchises I've never even heard of :|

And probably extremely unrealistic in my playable character wants.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
As much as I want Star Tropics to be represented, I doubt it will happen. Star Tropics never saw release in Japan, and while Sakurai loves throwing in Japan-only content, we've never seen him include things not released in Japan. It's telling that while Melee contained many trophies from obscure Japanese-only games that North American gamers probably never heard of, Star Tropics didn't even get a single trophy.

I guess the best we can hope for is an F-Zero Zoda trophy, which is kind of Star Tropics related. :/

PkunkFury

Joy Mecha Fight - Assist Trophy/Sticker/Trophy/Music

I think Sukapon has a pretty good chance of being playable. He'd be a very unique character, and he'd represent Nintendo's original fighter series.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
ShockingAlberto said:
Most of the assists we've seen so far, especially the ugly looking ones, are just using their Melee trophy models.

Stuff that looks best, like Saki, Starfy, etc. are new

Oh, I see.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DavidDayton said:

Stuff in bold represent games that had trophies/music/items in Melee.

Pikmin has a trophy.

various05_070924f-l.jpg

Rotanibor

Why do I get the feeling from the Waluigi assist trophey that he was ment to originally be a playable character but they cut back and made him a trophey? Everything he can do seems like it would be something from a playable characters movelist.

DDayton

You guys are quick.

Updated list of Nintendo titles/series not present in Brawl (at the moment).

Bold indicates a Melee presence.

1080° Snowboarding
Alleyway
Band Brothers
Battleclash
Brain Age
Card Hero
Chibi Robo
Clu Clu Land
Custom Robo
Doshin the Giant
Duck Hunt
Electroplankton
F-1 Race
Game & Watch
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
Hajimari no Mori
Happy Panechu!
HeliFire
Hogan's Alley
Joy Mecha Fight
Kaeru no Tameni Kanha Naru (the guy that turns into a frog -- cameo in Link's Awakening)
Kururin
Mach Rider
Magical Vacation
Marvellous
Mole Mania
Nazo no Murasamejou
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents
Picross
Polarium
Radar Mission
RadarScope
Sennen Kazoku
Shin Oni Ga Shima
Short Order & Eggsplode
Sky Skipper
Solar Striker
Space Fever
Space Launcher
Star Tropics
Stunt Race FX
Sutte Hakkun
Tantei Club
Teleroboxer
Time Twist
To The Earth
Tomato Adventure
Trace Memory
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Wild Gunman
Yakuman (Mahjong)
Yuu Yuu Ki

RedBoot

PkunkFury said:
I think Sukapon has a pretty good chance of being playable. He'd be a very unique character, and he'd represent Nintendo's original fighter series.

He's my personal pick for this game's "Random character that nobody has ever heard of," much like Game and Watch before him.

Really, if they put him, Ashley, and one more good third party character in, then they can add a thousand Krystals for all I care.

justchris

Firestorm said:

Heh, that would be awesome. Especially if it was an assist trophy that did absolutely nothing...unless you accidentally attacked it, at which point chickens would fly in and peck you to death. It would be like an AT FS (
Assist Trophy Final Smash
).

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
Big Brain Academy sticker, although I guess you might count that separately from Brain Age.

Close enough. The only thing better would be the disembodied polygonal head of Dr. Kawashima.

I'd count on a lot of those obscure franchises to at least get stickers. They're by far the easiest things for the team to implement, just old official art that's been named and resized.

DDayton

Bah. Okay... round 4....

You guys are quick.

Updated list of Nintendo titles/series not present in Brawl (at the moment).

Bold indicates a Melee presence.

1080° Snowboarding
Alleyway
Band Brothers
Battleclash
Card Hero
Chibi Robo
Custom Robo
Doshin the Giant
Duck Hunt
Electroplankton
F-1 Race
Game & Watch
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
Hajimari no Mori
Happy Panechu!
HeliFire
Hogan's Alley
Hotel Dusk
Joy Mecha Fight
Kururin
Mach Rider
Magical Vacation
Marvellous
Mole Mania
Nazo no Murasamejou
Oendon/Elite Beat Agents
Picross
Polarium
Radar Mission
RadarScope
Sennen Kazoku
Shin Oni Ga Shima
Short Order & Eggsplode
Sky Skipper
Solar Striker
Space Fever
Space Launcher
Star Tropics
Stunt Race FX
Sutte Hakkun
Tantei Club
Teleroboxer
Time Twist
To The Earth
Tomato Adventure
Trace Memory
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Wild Gunman
Yakuman (Mahjong)
Yuu Yuu Ki

Stuff formerly/incorrectly on this list:
Brain Age -- music (PictoChat update)
Balloon Fight -- sticker
Clu Clu Land -- item (urchin?)
Pikmin -- trophy
Pilotwings -- sticker
Sherrif -- sticker

vareon

When I saw Stafy, I thought "Wow he must be an assist trophy!" But when I scroll down and saw Waluigi I was like "OMG IT'S A NEW CHA---" then I saw the same icon :lol .

Jiggy

Okay, one more thing before I go. There's actually something to add to the list of unrepresented franchises, and that's Adventures of Lolo. Such a great NES game with so many potentially great elements to draw upon for Brawl... I think I'd most like to see those little dragon things that fall asleep when they touch you and can't be moved.

Scribble

vareon said:
When I saw Stafy, I thought "Wow he must be an assist trophy!" But when I scroll down and saw Waluigi I was like "OMG IT'S A NEW CHA---" then I saw the same icon :lol .

Heh. I use the RSS Feed, so I saw the two words "Stafy" and "Waluigi" on the drop down list. I thought "One of these has to be a playable character". I clicked on Stafy and discovered he was an assist trophy, which frightened me, because I thought that would surely mean that Waluigi is a PC. Heh.

DDayton

Jiggy37 said:
Okay, one more thing before I go. There's actually something to add to the list of unrepresented franchises, and that's Adventures of Lolo. Such a great NES game with so many potentially great elements to draw upon for Brawl...

Well, it's not a Nintendo title -- it's a Hal title, and while Hal does appear to be essentially another wing of Nintendo at this point in time, it's still a unique company.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Starfy, why did you even come here?! Why do you continue to follow your orders while your superiors betray you? Why did you come here? Well, I'll tell you then.

YOU ENJOY ALL THE KILLING, THAT'S WHY!

assist13_071214a.jpg

DDayton

Papercuts said:
One of the Special Brawl pictures show a flower on mario's head, stealth Lip's Stick confirmation?

Well, we know the Lip's Stick is coming back, but we haven't actually seen the stick itself yet, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom