• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
So let's speculate on how Dedede's neutral B works.

From the screenshot, it looks like an inhaling/exhaling ability. King Dedede uses this move in the Kirby games: he inhales Kirby and spits him out, usually into a wall. On some occasions, Dedede has used it to spit Kirby into the stratosphere. The actual inhalation doesn't damage Kirby, it's the impact of being spat out.

If it's a straight port of Dedede's inhaling move from the Kirby games, then I'm not sure how useful it will be in Brawl. Spitting someone out as Kirby is rarely effective in Smash and even if Dedede was able to spit someone farther than Kirby can, I still can't see it as being particularly useful. Frankly, with Dedede's demonstrated ability to spit Kirby at multiple angles, I always saw the inhale/spit maneuver as being a good candidate for a grab/throw rather than a B move. Additionally, I can't imagine the move inflicting much damage, either.

But Sakurai could prove me wrong. Hopefully he will in this case.

I'm of the opinion that it may, in the end, be a type of move that can serve a number of roles in one.

1) Instant, hard-hitting projectile. I could imagine that, for DDD's sake, his version would go MUCH farther than Kirby's exhale, and probably could stand to deal as much damage to some one else as Samus's full charge blast (to both the sucked up, and the recipient of the hit, if there is indeed a collision). If there's no collision, then the projectile would just go a couple of feet away until the opponent turns back to normal.

The downfall would of course have to be that you would have to actually work to get some one in your mouth first. And, like with Kirby, weaker percentages would mean that a person would probably be able to fight their way out before you could even spit 'em out.

2) Decent edge-guard tool. Nothing would probably suck more than for a person to get back, only to get sucked up by Dedede, and spat out just far enough away, such that their 3rd jump couldn't hope to get 'em back on the stage. And since I would imagine DDD to have the same type of "puffed up flight" like Kirby does, this could definitely serve to make him a dangerous character to deal with if you got knocked off the stage.

TreIII said:
2) Decent edge-guard tool. Nothing would probably suck more than for a person to get back, only to get sucked up by Dedede, and spat out just far enough away, such that their 3rd jump couldn't hope to get 'em back on the stage. And since I would imagine DDD to have the same type of "puffed up flight" like Kirby does, this could definitely serve to make him a dangerous character to deal with if you got knocked off the stage.

Or you could swallow on your way back those who try to edgeguard carelessly and spit them underneath the stage. :lol
Used to work to some extent in 64 with Kirby, but it was near impossible in Melee.

TreIII

Holy Order Sol said:
Or you could swallow on your way back those who try to edgeguard carelessly and spit them underneath the stage. :lol
Used to work to some extent in 64 with Kirby, but it was near impossible in Melee.

Hah, yeah that would be cool, too!

Of course, the only thing is that the new system of how people are able to get back on the stage might make it so that this tactic is still not nearly as fool proof as it was in SSB.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yay, a pretty awesome update for my birthday! ^_^ (I wasn't in this thread at 2 a.m. EST because I was out last night... let's just say I got up around an hour ago, haha)

BTW the first time they show a Sonic Hat Kirby, I call that avatar in lieu of him not being shown today. Sakurai owes me a birthday present, damnit!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
psycho_snake said:
That....that actually looks pretty creepy.
I know :D

killitwithfire.jpg

So more people can experience the awesome of the pictue on this page.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Danthrax said:
Yay, a pretty awesome update for my birthday! ^_^ (I wasn't in this thread at 2 a.m. EST because I was out last night... let's just say I got up around an hour ago, haha)

BTW the first time they show a Sonic Hat Kirby, I call that avatar in lieu of him not being shown today. Sakurai owes me a birthday present, damnit!!
Just about everyone gets a better update on their birthday than I did. I got the delay announcement on my bday!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
psycho_snake said:
Just about everyone gets a better update on their birthday than I did. I got the delay announcement on my bday!

Oh damn. Here, you can borrow some of the awesome from my birthday update -- I dedicate this picture to you:

snakekirbyretaliation2.jpg

Iam Canadian said:

From the screenshot, it looks like an inhaling/exhaling ability. King Dedede uses this move in the Kirby games: he inhales Kirby and spits him out, usually into a wall. On some occasions, Dedede has used it to spit Kirby into the stratosphere. The actual inhalation doesn't damage Kirby, it's the impact of being spat out.

If it's a straight port of Dedede's inhaling move from the Kirby games, then I'm not sure how useful it will be in Brawl. Spitting someone out as Kirby is rarely effective in Smash and even if Dedede was able to spit someone farther than Kirby can, I still can't see it as being particularly useful. Frankly, with Dedede's demonstrated ability to spit Kirby at multiple angles, I always saw the inhale/spit maneuver as being a good candidate for a grab/throw rather than a B move. Additionally, I can't imagine the move inflicting much damage, either.

I would imagine he will spit them further and also that they will become a projectile capable of damaging other players. Also, Dedede is a big dude, perhaps when he sucks you in, you won't be able to escape (for a short period of time), unlike when Kirby sucks you in?

MisterHero

Iam Canadian said:

When using certain powers, such as Back Drop (though they've come back as his Grapple moves) and Throwing (turning things into stars) Kirby uses them by inhaling objects/enemies. I can't remember if they were in Kirby Superstar, but I'm currently playing Kirby's Adventure. :lol

Maybe he spits out Waddle Dees. :p

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
As long as we're discussing birthday updates, I got the Team Healer for my birthday, but I got the Pirate Frigate Orpheon and Mother music the day before, so it works out.

At any rate, I'll bet that Dedede's inhale is harder to break out of than Kirby's, even at low percentages. After all, Dedede is stronger than Kirby.

I like the idea of him spitting people out as stars that inflict heavy damage, though. It's a definite possibility. Hopefully we can angle his shots.

Jiggy

I got nothing on my birthday because it was a Saturday, but co-op Subspace Emissary the day before. Oh, and that Monday after was one of the two days I predicted correctly, with Zero Suit Samus' moves. What do I win? :D

Jiggy

Predicting a quadruple update of--wait, no, I'm saving the Luigi/Jigglypuff/Falcon/Ness prediction for Christmas. Predicting a triple update of--wait, no, I'm saving the Bomberman blowout prediction for New Year's Day. (With bad puns such as "We're starting the new year with a bang.")

Predicting Zelda's final smash.

Well, hopefully I'll be playing the game by my birthday, unless Wal-Mart has anything to say about it. :/

Prediction for tonight: I'm sticking with SSE.

KevinCow

Banned
I got Pit on my birthday. Which, on the one hand, is great because Pit is awesome and was one of my most hoped for characters, but on the other hand is stupid because we'd already known about him for like a year.

TreIII

Oct 13th was a Saturday, so that meant no update for my day.

But even so...getting New Pork City on the following Monday, as well as Sonic being confirmed on the previous Wednesday? Those definitely were nice lil presents. :D

Crushed

Fry Daddy
A Link to the Snitch said:
Spoiled bitches, I won't GET an update on my birthday, SSBB comes out nine days before it.

Nubs.
53 days after Brawl, well after the post-release updates (that YOU will get) will have finished.

Pampered bitch.

Proven

Jeez, I was chatting with a friend and came to the conclusion that Jigglypuff/Luigi/Ness/Captain Falcon have all not been announced not because Sakurai is being an asshole, but because he wants them all to be secret characters again.

Then again, this still doesn't mean that Ness is still in.

If we get anything for Christmas/New Years, it'll only be because he feels bad that the game wasn't released and he ran out of starting or near starting roster characters to show on the site.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Crushed said:
53 days after Brawl, well after the post-release updates (that YOU will get) will have finished.

Pampered bitch.

Welcome baaaack, your dreams were your ticket out.

Nintaiyo

GaimeGuy said:
I know :D

killitwithfire.jpg

So more people can experience the awesome of the pictue on this page.

This would've been soo much better. Oh well.

I had the awesome "This World" update on my birthday.

Any predictions for tonight, guys? I'm actually going to stay up for tonight's update because I'm finally stress free since I'm done with finals and just got my standardized test scores back. Haven't done this in a while. It better be a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom