• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

turk128

Already said before but bears repeating: they could easily have made this a seperate game and people will still buy it. It looks better and better with every new clip.

Dreavus

Very cool update. Wow, those little villian henchmen guys have weapons. I wasn't expecting that for some reason... and I'm intrigued by the inclusion of Zelda's Din's fire attack; it's starting to look like Sheik will make a surprise return to me.

Also, I think Meta Knight's alignment is deliberately in question, since it adds even more mystery to character. Sakurai said "It's Meta Knight, whose introduction was delayed for some reason. He's Kirby's...rival?" as if even he didn't know the definitive answer!

Proven said:
Meh, it could easily just be chalked up to them deciding to randomly change the character's personality. The games didn't have much storytelling to begin with, and in those days as long as there was an epic boss battle at the end, the reason could be anything.
I dunno. If it were one of Miyamoto's characters, I'd agree with you, but Metaknight is Sakurai's baby. He's probably had him planned out since inception.

Uremifasolasiututut said:
So what the heck is the thing they are fighting? Wire frame fighter?

smash.jpg
Nice observation! Definately looks like a wire frame guy falling.

Proven

Jiggy37 said:
-After an absence of over a month and a half, a story mode update arrives on the scene to bring its category into the grand old number of 10!

-Sorry, but I forgot to include this last time: as of yesterday our five least recent update types were character profile, story mode, how to play, final smash, and Poke Ball. Today, obviously kick story mode out and assist trophies appear at the end.

-41 days without a character, but on a cheerier note, only 24 days of updates until the Japanese release date! That's just under five weeks of updates. Let's go.

Huh? I'm confused by what you're saying about Assist Trophies. They can't possibly be at the end because of the Waluigi and Starfi updates.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
We need tons of screen captures, stat!

My response to this is basically the same as the current title of the thread :O

This game really will be the greatest nintendo fan service of all time. The thought of all these classic characters coming together in an epic story... makes me freaking giddy O_O

Have you guys thought about how massive SSE is going to be?

Splits we know about:

Mario vs. Kirby
Mario: Wins match, gets blasted off to Angel Island
Kirby: Wins match, fights Petey, choose between Peach and Zelda
- Peach: Flies off and lands on the Halberd
- Zelda: Haven't seen it yet

Donkey/Diddy level
Donkey: Meets Bowser
Diddy: Gets blown away, meets Fox and Rayquaza

We could be looking at a giant tree where each one ends in an unlockable character.

Firestorm

Dreavus said:
Very cool update. Wow, those little villian henchmen guys have weapons. I wasn't expecting that for some reason... and I'm intrigued by the inclusion of Zelda's Din's fire attack; it's starting to look like Sheik will make a surprise return to me.

Also, I think Meta Knight's alignment is deliberately in question, since it adds even more mystery to character. Sakurai said "It's Meta Knight, whose introduction was delayed for some reason. He's Kirby's...rival?" as if even he didn't know the definitive answer!

Meta Knight and Ice Climbers seemed to be fighting together, not against each other.

MrCheez

ShockingAlberto said:
Have you guys thought about how massive SSE is going to be?

Starting to make me wonder if those rumors about Subspace being 10 hours long were true. :O (That would be so amazing... way beyond anything I'd ever expect)

MrCheez said:
Starting to make me wonder if those rumors about Subspace being 10 hours long were true. :O (That would be so amazing... way beyond anything I'd ever expect)
Assuming you can tear through a single path in about, let's say forty minutes to be generous (just using Melee as a meter stick here), a gigantic number of alternate paths would be incredible and really make the whole thing last a while.

MrCheez

Did you guys notice how interesting some of the environments looked? I am so excited that subspace is going to have such a unique and varied art direction

Jiggy

Proven said:
Huh? I'm confused by what you're saying about Assist Trophies. They can't possibly be at the end because of the Waluigi and Starfi updates.
It's out of the five least recent, not all of the least recent.

Last character profile: October 25 (King Dedede)
Last how to play: December 5 (Battle for the Smash Ball)
Last final smash: December 6 (King Dedede)
Last Poke Ball: December 10 (Bonsly)
Last assist trophy: December 14 (Stafy and Waluigi)
Last music and stage: December 18 (Porky's Theme and Frigate Orpheon)
Last game mode and item: December 19 (Team Healer and team battles--the team battles were a stealth update, but even if that's counted out, the last game mode would be December 17, Co-op Events)
Last story mode: December 21 (Subspace Emissary Movie)

MrCheez

What character is that slicing through primids with the blue beam sword? Can't figure it out... Meta Knight disappearing and reappearing maybe?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm beginning to wonder how they'll incorporate the Pokemon Trainer into the Subspace Emissary. Maybe they'll have him running alongside his Pokemon in the background. :D

Iam Canadian said:
I'm beginning to wonder how they'll incorporate the Pokemon Trainer into the Subspace Emissary. Maybe they'll have him running alongside his Pokemon in the background. :D
I'm hoping he and Lucas team up

Pokemon Trainer: Fuck yeah, optimism
Lucas: O_O

Battersea Power Station said:
Just to clarify: are you guys excited about the cut-scenes or something? 'Cause the gameplay parts look like the Smash we all know.
If I say yes, do you promise not to ask any more follow-up questions?

Iam Canadian

Just to clarify: are you guys excited about the cut-scenes or something? 'Cause the gameplay parts look like the Smash we all know.

I'm more excited about the fact that it appears to be a full-fledged side-scrolling platform game running on the Smash engine.

KevinCow

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Mario vs. Kirby
Mario: Wins match, gets blasted off to Angel Island
Kirby: Wins match, fights Petey, choose between Peach and Zelda
I figured that both of these things happen regardless of who you choose to play as in the first match. The first match is just Mario vs. Kirby, doesn't matter who wins. The second match lets you choose Mario, Kirby, or the Princesses, and you fight the Subspace creatures. Then Mario gets blasted off and you play as Kirby and fight Petey. Then from there it'll probably bounce around the story.

Also, maybe I just missed her, but I don't think Samus was in that video.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Iam Canadian said:
I'm more excited about the fact that it appears to be a full-fledged side-scrolling platform game running on the Smash engine.

Yeah, it's like the ultimate dream platformer that we always wanted but with a fucking awesome fighting game with it.

Jiggy

I openly and freely think that Pokemon Trainer won't appear in Subspace Emissary at all. Partly because of the running along thing, but mostly because they'd have to come up with some sort of explanation of why the Pokemon universe couldn't have handled the Subspace Army on their own by getting together the Elite 4 of even a few regions.

I mean, seriously, one nameless Pokemon Trainer out of many just randomly showing up and saving the world... eh. You could make a case for an SE Pikachu being the prophesied Pikachu born every hundred years or something, but PT's just some dude who happens to have three good Pokemon. (Who, unlike Pikachu, can't fight indefinitely without losing stamina.) It's not like this is Red, a former champion standing atop Mt. Silver who's still the highest-leveled AI trainer in the main series.

They might come up with a story justification, I guess, but to me it seems like his name is supposed to indicate that he's a generic trainer out of many from his region--and generic trainers don't save worlds.

'Cause the gameplay parts look like the Smash we all know.
Even if I accepted this, I would ask, "Is that supposed to be bad?" But I don't accept it; we haven't seen a lot of these environments.

We're excited because of the bish-bash and ka-boom and splaash and EPIC.

Jiggy37 said:
I openly and freely think that Pokemon Trainer won't appear in Subspace Emissary at all. Partly because of the running along thing, but mostly because they'd have to come up with some sort of explanation of why the Pokemon universe couldn't have handled the Subspace Army on their own by getting together the Elite 4 of even a few regions.

I mean, seriously, one nameless Pokemon Trainer out of many just randomly showing up and saving the world... eh. You could make a case for an SE Pikachu being the prophesied Pikachu born every hundred years or something, but PT's just some dude who happens to have three good Pokemon.
Doesn't this happen consistently in the games?

RBY: Trainer saves the world from Team Rocket stealing Silph Co. technology
GSC: Trainer saves the world from Team Rocket's forced evolution machine
RSE: Trainer saves the world from floods/desert
DP: Trainer saves the world from Gods of Time and Space being awoken

Usually it's a case of the trainer just sort of stumbling upon the wrongdoing at the right time. Besides, the worlds themselves are being eaten up - Pokemon Trainer might be the only one who comes out alive.

Iam Canadian

The Pokemon Trainer is a tricky one to pin down. On the one hand, maybe Sakurai will give the Pokemon Trainer a specific identity for The Subspace Emissary, rather than the nameless avatar that he is in the multiplayer. Or he may be portrayed as a kind of everyman, the ordinary denizen of a world swallowed by the Subspace legions that's willing to work to save his world regardless. Whatever Sakurai does, I do want to see the Pokemon Trainer gameplay mechanic present in The Subspace Emissary, no matter how Sakurai tries to explain it.

As for the "running along" issue, the same could be asked as to how the Pokemon Trainer will work in scrolling stages or levels that transition into different sections. There could be some generic animation, such as the Trainer riding on a floating platform or a Flying Pokemon, to cover this issue. Such a solution could easily be incorporated in The Subspace Emissary.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
Doesn't this happen consistently in the games?

RBY: Trainer saves the world from Team Rocket stealing Silph Co. technology
GSC: Trainer saves the world from Team Rocket's forced evolution machine
RSE: Trainer saves the world from floods/desert
DP: Trainer saves the world from Gods of Time and Space being awoken

Usually it's a case of the trainer just sort of stumbling upon the wrongdoing at the right time. Besides, the worlds themselves are being eaten up - Pokemon Trainer might be the only one who comes out alive.
Yeah, but they weren't nameless and they weren't generic trainers--they were all recognized as something special by a top professor, half of them had their inherent talents recognized by the Elite 4 themselves, and they all eventually became the champions of their region. If the Brawl character was named Pokemon Champion, I think he'd fit right in.

But you might be on to something where he might be one of the few survivors. Or maybe he was kidnapped from his world by the Subspace Emissary because they wanted to figure out how Poke Ball technology works and then modify it to create the guns that Wario uses to turn people into trophies. Or...

Okay, I should stop thinking about this stuff right before I go to sleep, or I'll be up all night. :eek: But okay, you've won, you're right. There are lots of great explanations Sakurai and company could come up with.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
KevinCow said:
I figured that both of these things happen regardless of who you choose to play as in the first match. The first match is just Mario vs. Kirby, doesn't matter who wins. The second match lets you choose Mario, Kirby, or the Princesses, and you fight the Subspace creatures. Then Mario gets blasted off and you play as Kirby and fight Petey. Then from there it'll probably bounce around the story.

Also, maybe I just missed her, but I don't think Samus was in that video.

Yeah, she's there for a second about 3/4 of the way through. I think she fires a missile. She's in her regular power suit, not ZSS.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ShockingAlberto said:
I think if generic mountain climbers/seal clubbers can help save the world, a Pokemon Trainer can

Not to mention a random Pikachu among the presumably millions of Pikachu in the "world."

KevinCow

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I think if generic mountain climbers/seal clubbers can help save the world, a Pokemon Trainer can
Speaking of which, I wonder what their story will be. They don't exactly have much development beyond, "Ohnoez, a condor stole our vegetables, let's go get them back!" But then, that seems to be roughly equivalent to DK and Diddy's story, just replace vegetables with bananas.

Iam Canadian said:
The part of the video where Fox's Arwing evades fire from the Halberd makes me think how cool it would be if the next Star Fox game had a stage where you have to destroy a massive battleship, like the battleship levels in R-Type.
That part made me think how cool it would be if the next Star Fox game was good.

Iam Canadian

The part of the video where Fox's Arwing evades fire from the Halberd makes me think how cool it would be if the next Star Fox game had a stage where you have to destroy a massive battleship, like the battleship levels in R-Type.

KevinCow said:
Speaking of which, I wonder what their story will be. They don't exactly have much development beyond, "Ohnoez, a condor stole our vegetables, let's go get them back!" But then, that seems to be roughly equivalent to DK and Diddy's story, just replace vegetables with bananas.
I am looking forward to any sort of dichotomy between them and Metaknight

Ice Climbers: Yay, fruit. :D
Metaknight: I will end you.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
ShockingAlberto said:

Well if a plumber, a chimp, a gorilla, a dragon, a 10 year old boy, 2 princesses that always get kidnapped, a penguin, a marshmallow, a hedgehog, and a dude that farts can save the world I am sure that anyone could.

AlternativeUlster said:
Well if a plumber, a chimp, a gorilla, a dragon, a 10 year old boy, 2 princesses that always get kidnapped, a penguin, a marshmallow, a hedgehog, and a dude that farts can save the world I am sure that anyone could.
The dragon, penguin, and dude that farts are all villains, though. :p

Edit: Just guessing on the penguin, mind.

justchris

Iam Canadian said:
The Pokemon Trainer is a tricky one to pin down. On the one hand, maybe Sakurai will give the Pokemon Trainer a specific identity for The Subspace Emissary, rather than the nameless avatar that he is in the multiplayer. Or he may be portrayed as a kind of everyman, the ordinary denizen of a world swallowed by the Subspace legions that's willing to work to save his world regardless. Whatever Sakurai does, I do want to see the Pokemon Trainer gameplay mechanic present in The Subspace Emissary, no matter how Sakurai tries to explain it.

As for the "running along" issue, the same could be asked as to how the Pokemon Trainer will work in scrolling stages or levels that transition into different sections. There could be some generic animation, such as the Trainer riding on a floating platform or a Flying Pokemon, to cover this issue. Such a solution could easily be incorporated in The Subspace Emissary.

Wait, this brings up an important point (which may already have been discussed) but what does the Pokeman Trainer do on Norfair? A flying platform doesn't stop lava.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom