• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

Pureauthor said:
Skarmory, Pidgeot, Ho-oh...

Take your pick.

I don't really play pokemon, so I don't know, do they stop lava? If so, that's a pretty neat abilty. Pokemon are super useful.

KevinCow said:
Moltres, perhaps?

Yeah, everything I know about pokemon I pretty much learned from Smash Bros & message boards, but if you think that would work, your guess is like, 15 times as good as mine.

PkunkFury

ShockingAlberto said:
Wario turned Zelda in to a trophy and Bowser tried to turn Diddy in to one/stole all of Donkey Kong's bananas, so yes.

I'm betting they end up helping you in the end. Since they are playable characters, it makes sense to give them a role. The SE boss guy will probably betray them or something

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
justchris said:
I don't really play pokemon, so I don't know, do they stop lava? If so, that's a pretty neat abilty. Pokemon are super useful.

Not exactly. The Pokemon would survive, but the Trainer would definitely be doused in lava.

KevinCow

Banned
I wonder how they're going to connect completely different stories from the same franchise in the Subspace Emissary. Like Fire Emblem, if more than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are represented, or Earthbound if Ness makes it back in.

I'm really curious to see how they fit all these universes together in general.

RedShift

Maybe after completing all the paths you open up a "Final Destination", where you fight the real boss, Sonic Adventure Style.

BTW, at some point in the SE, Sonic and Mario team up, you see them during the "Sonic joins the Brawl" Video.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It could be that the Pokemon Trainer rides a Pidgeot and calls out for it to use Protect when the lava appears... Maybe.

Secretly, I was hoping they'd use the video to give us a brief glimpse of a new character at the end. Maybe an exploding F-Zero ship being torn to pieces by the Subspace Army and the lone hero jumping out and punching people into the stratosphere...?

Also, have we resolved the mystery of the character slicing away at the Primids? It's really bugging me now.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
KevinCow said:
I wonder how they're going to connect completely different stories from the same franchise in the Subspace Emissary. Like Fire Emblem, if more than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are represented, or Earthbound if Ness makes it back in.

Something something multi-verse something something...

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Looking at the characters announced so far for Brawl, I can imagine that they will announce one more character and it will be a new challanger so that the new cast and the vets have the same amount. I imagine it being something big and they won't announce it until a day before the reviewers get their copies.

QuickKick89 said:
kirby_071220s-l.jpg

Made of win. :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

SovanJedi said:
Also, have we resolved the mystery of the character slicing away at the Primids? It's really bugging me now.
It's obvious they're obscured for a reason.

I know I definitely saw shoes similar to Mario's, so Luigi's as good a guess as any.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ShockingAlberto said:
It's obvious they're obscured for a reason.

I know I definitely saw shoes similar to Mario's, so Luigi's as good a guess as any.

I was wondering about that... I thought I saw two characters there, but I can't tell if it's blur or something. One set of Mario-esque shoes (Luigi?) falling back, then SOMETHING that seems to be slashing with a laser/beam sword.

Teasel

"oh cool a new subspace emissary movie!"
"ehy but it's (mostly) a compilation of old stuff :("
so did anyone bother to analyze the movie and try to recognize the new stages?

Lucas' air attack was either his fair or nair. It had the same animation as Ness' nair, yet had ness' fair attack...

plus, Lucas' forward smash attack was him using his Stick. Lucas uses a stick, and Ness uses a baseball bat.

I'm pretty confident Ness will be back. It seems Lucas' attacks are different enough.

Kreed

Jiggy37 said:
I openly and freely think that Pokemon Trainer won't appear in Subspace Emissary at all. Partly because of the running along thing, but mostly because they'd have to come up with some sort of explanation of why the Pokemon universe couldn't have handled the Subspace Army on their own by getting together the Elite 4 of even a few regions.

Other than the "running along issue", they already have the "they are all just trophies" explanation they can use for that. There's no need to make story line justifications since none of the characters are the "real ones" and they are in a different world than the Pokemon Universe.

ziran

While I'm a big Smash Bros multiplayer fan, I don't enjoy Sakurai's single player stuff, but this looks good. For fan service alone it's going to be worth a play.

DaMainman

Baryn said:
I hope Adventure Mode is something like 5-10 hours long. That would be fap-worthy.
It's been said before, but the initial run-through shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Not counting extra difficulty levels, there's bound to be another few hours-worth of extra stages/repeating previous stages with new objectives.

TreIII

Kreed said:
Other than the "running along issue", they already have the "they are all just trophies" explanation they can use for that. There's no need to make story line justifications since none of the characters are the "real ones" and they are in a different world than the Pokemon Universe.

Even still, I would like to think that the Trophies still are more than are just action figures. They probably are still fair representations of the characters themselves, thus why we see a number of them act heroically/bastardly/villainously, and why Sakurai said that they have to "bear the weight of their histories". In other words, the Smash-verse is to the overall Nintendo-verse, like how a number of "Pocket Dimensions" are to American comics; a lot of the characters basically fulfill the same roles, they just do it possibly a bit differently.

In "Red's" case, I think the overall thing to assume is that, like with the real Red, he's still a capable enough of a hero, that he (through his Pokeymans!) can stand side by side with the likes of Lucas and the other Ninty heroes.

Iam Canadian said:
I'm more excited about the fact that it appears to be a full-fledged side-scrolling platform game running on the Smash engine.

Which is kind of funny, considering that the Smash engine has its roots in the Kirby Super Star engine. It's almost like the Smash engine is going back to fulfill its original purpose; be a bad-ass platformer with co-op options! :D

Any way, yeah, that in itself is worthy of praise. And considering that the GC/Wii Kirby game has gone incognito at the moment, SSE will definitely be a nice bit of "consolation", to put it lightly. ;)

namor7

sorry if im way off the mark here (or if i missed any applicable posts), but what's with toad's inclusion in the kirby pic?

I'm guessing the villains will be:

The Subspace Emissary's boss
Bowser
Wario (until he turns good)
Ganondorf
King Dedede (seemingly)
King K. Rool (I can hope, right?)
Rayquaza -OR- Team Aqua/Magma/Galactic (if it's Rayquaza, it'll turn out that he just misunderstood the good guys as the bad guys, and eventually helps out the good guys by Hyper Beaming the villain)
Mother 3 villain
Medusa
Black Knight
Andross

That'd be a good villain roster.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
A Link to the Snitch said:

Bowser
Ganondorf
King Dedede (seemingly)
Rayquaza -OR- Team Aqua/Magma/Galactic (if it's Rayquaza, it'll turn out that he just misunderstood the good guys as the bad guys, and eventually helps out the good guys by Hyper Beaming the villain)
Mother 3 villain
Medusa
Dracula
Black Knight
Andross

Sure would!

TreIII

Bowser
Ganondorf
King Dedede (seemingly)
Mother 3 villain
Medusa
Black Knight
Andross

Good list, overall. As awesome as Pit's re-design was, I would really like to see how time has treated Medusa too.

Only thing I question? Bowser. Just like Dedede and Wario, I could see Bowser being more along the lines of "I'm doing THIS, until I can turn this situation to my advantage!" type of thing. Wouldn't really be out of his character, considering his portrayal in the RPGs, which shows that he's not opposed to working for good, if it sounds a lot better than some thing that would end up jeopardizing his well-being. Hell, even ol pig-face, Ganon, probably would rather go to the beat of his own drum, as opposed to being under the thumb of some one else.

Also, list needs more Ridley. I want him playable, but I'd like to see him be a boss too.

TreIII said:
Good list, overall. As awesome as Pit's re-design was, I would really like to see how time has treated Medusa too.

Only thing I question? Bowser. Just like Dedede and Wario, I could see Bowser being more along the lines of "I'm doing THIS, until I can turn this situation to my advantage!" type of thing. Wouldn't really be out of his character, considering his portrayal in the RPGs, which shows that he's not opposed to working for good, if it sounds a lot better than some thing that would end up jeopardizing his well-being. Hell, even ol pig-face, Ganon, probably would rather go to the beat of his own drum, as opposed to being under the thumb of some one else.

Also, list needs more Ridley. I want him playable, but I'd like to see him be a boss too.

Perhaps, but his portrayal of Bowser as the villain of the last game makes me think he'll stay bad.

Just thought of something though - while Ganondorf would never join with Link, I could see villain duos that never really interact with the good guys. Bowser and Dedede, Ganondorf and Ridley (if Wario turns good, he'll definitely ally with Zelda).

Aras

Well, the video isn't awesome at all, they just put old stuff together in a mere video -o- ewww , I think it's the worst update till now

I want them to show ganondorf transforming inot ganon with its FS and I'll be happy
and the newcomer too T_T third party pliz!!

Aras said:
Well, the video isn't awesome at all, they just put old stuff together in a mere video -o- ewww , I think it's the worst update till now

I want them to show ganondorf transforming inot ganon with its FS and I'll be happy

...?

At no point is this just reused content. When did we learn who MK is teaming up with? This video. Among other new details.

Aras said:

Silly junior.

TreIII

Perhaps, but his portrayal of Bowser as the villain of the last game makes me think he'll stay bad.

Which is also a definitive possibility. Though, in the end, I would think we count on the likes of seeing Ridley being "ride or die" before Bowser. Bowser's still very much a bastard (and why I love him so! :lol), but in the end, I would bet that he would turn coat the evil side if it ended up being a thing that endangered him, or worse, served to endanger Peach. I would think that all bets would be off, if the Minister did something to Peach that he didn't find favor in...

Just thought of something though - while Ganondorf would never join with Link, I could see villain duos that never really interact with the good guys. Bowser and Dedede, Ganondorf and Ridley (if Wario turns good, he'll definitely ally with Zelda).

And that would be awesome in itself. It would be interesting if this game had a number of "dark oriented routes" that you could choose, where you would end up seeing things from the bad guys' perspectives, prior to them deciding to finally throw their lot in with the good guys to take down the SSE bastards.

Aras

...?

At no point is this just reused content. When did we learn who MK is teaming up with? This video. Among other new details.

MK - Ice Climbers

Link - Yoshi

and that's all... don't think it's worth a day update at all

TreIII

Aras said:
MK - Ice Climbers

Link - Yoshi

and that's all... don't think it's worth a day update at all

...Uhh...what about Lucas, Ike, and the new cutscenes involving Bowser, and etc, among some of the other things? Hm?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
MrCheez said:
Starting to make me wonder if those rumors about Subspace being 10 hours long were true. :O (That would be so amazing... way beyond anything I'd ever expect)
yeah that would be brilliant.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Rentahamster said:
http://www.smashbros.com/de/characters/images/kirby/kirby_071220s-l.jpg[IMG]

Does this mean that Snake's B move is a grenade toss?

(Or do we know this already and I'm just being forgetful?")[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/snake.html#2nd[/url]

Jiggy

KevinCow said:
I figured that both of these things happen regardless of who you choose to play as in the first match. The first match is just Mario vs. Kirby, doesn't matter who wins. The second match lets you choose Mario, Kirby, or the Princesses, and you fight the Subspace creatures. Then Mario gets blasted off and you play as Kirby and fight Petey.
We've seen Mario fighting Petey, so the branch is there pretty early on. It's just after the part where the Subspace Army shows up.

justchris said:
Heh. A few Pokemon are lava. Most of the ones that aren't could find some kind of way with Surf or Light Screen or something.

KevinCow said:

Ness and Lucas are in the same universe, I think, since Pokey/Porky is in both games.

layzie1989 said:
Lucas' air attack was either his fair or nair. It had the same animation as Ness' nair, yet had ness' fair attack...
Well, except for the part where he lands practically upside down. Which was awesome. :D

TreIII said:
Which is kind of funny, considering that the Smash engine has its roots in the Kirby Super Star engine.
There's something rewarding about going around saying for years that Kirby Super Star was the predecessor to Smash, never seeing anyone agree until 2006, and then suddenly having a thread where a bunch of others recognize this truth. :D

MrCheez said:
Starting to make me wonder if those rumors about Subspace being 10 hours long were true. :O (That would be so amazing... way beyond anything I'd ever expect)
Yeah, I was assuming it'd be around 6-8 since that's the usual Kirby game, but we'll see.

NeonZ

We've seen Mario fighting Petey, so the branch is there pretty early on. It's just after the part where the Subspace Army shows up.

Well, it also has been shown that they meet again in an early stage too:
modea07_071005e-l.jpg

(Caption from the dojo: choose a team and enter a stage

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I just saw the trailer, holy crap.

This game really is the UBER-KILLER APP that will push me to buy a Nintendo Wii.

The trailer was freaking awesome, Princess Zelda!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom