• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

I know I'm only using google translate But am I missing something here?

https://translate.google.com/transl...hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html

This suggests that Smash 3DS is NOT supported by the new 3DS c stick? Meaning it doesn't support either the new 3DS or the CPP. What am I missing?

Yeah you're not reading the table right at all.

The table is a list of games with CPP support. The note at the top is that all CPP-comptibile games work the same with the N3DS. The note at the bottom is separate.

Jamix012

Yeah you're not reading the table right at all.

The table is a list of games with CPP support. The note at the top is that all CPP-comptibile games work the same with the N3DS. The note at the bottom is separate.

Ok, I thought that's what I understood of the table. The table lists games that are compatible with the CPP that will also work with the n3DS. The note at the bottom is separate clarifying (what I think) is that Smash will not be compatible with the n3DS c stick.

Tuck

As mentioned, KI:U ran 60 fps and couldn't support dual analog because of the extra processing requirements. Running another analog input is a lot more demanding than binary buttons.

There is a good chance this is the same reason for the lack of support here.
I hope that's not actually the excuse they gave, cause it sounds like pure bullshit to me.

The c-stick's function in Smash is a four direction digital input. It's no excuse.

While true, you still have to parse a range of values from the analog input to determine which of the 4 buttons is being activated if any.

Not saying that is the definitive reason but I think it makes more sense than getting consumers to adopt a new device that is probably 6 months away in regions where the CCP was not really adopted by users. Considering sales of Smash are going to be fairly front-loaded and with the Wii U version coming later in the year I don't think intentionally withholding CCP support makes a lot of financial sense.

Platy

What ???

Damn =(

No "for glory" for me on the 3ds than xD

But then again ... where I would connect to the internet when I am in the buss playing smash ? =P

Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...

Basic uses are instant not charged smash atack and doing an aerial in the oposite side your jump is going.

Jamix012

Until I either get a better translation, or we see the n3DS c stick working in action, I'm gonna presume that it doesn't work for either. Nothing in the OP suggests it will work for one but not the other (again, unless google translate is really throwing me off.)

Swarna

There are things you can't physically do at all without the C-stick in Melee/Brawl. This is dumb to the max and should not be justified at all.

Majukun

There are things you can't physically do at all without the C-stick in Melee/Brawl. This is dumb to the max and should not be justified at all.

never used the c-stick once playing smash bros..so I'm curious,what can't you do without using it?

duckroll

Until I either get a better translation, or we see the n3DS c stick working in action, I'm gonna presume that it doesn't work for either. Nothing in the OP suggests it will work for one but not the other (again, unless google translate is really throwing me off.)

Please, you're embarrassing yourself. Take your google translate and go flush it down a toilet. The list is a compatibility list specifically for the CPP. It states clearly that Smash 3DS does not support it. I'm not sure what sort of "translation" you want. We know that the C-stick on the New 3DS is supported by Smash 3DS because it was specifically shown as one of the supported games in the Nintendo Direct when the New 3DS was announced. You're just being stupid.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ok, I thought that's what I understood of the table. The table lists games that are compatible with the CPP that will also work with the n3DS. The note at the bottom is separate clarifying (what I think) is that Smash will not be compatible with the n3DS c stick.

...why would Nintendo specifically mention one upcoming game that wouldn't use the c stick? Just think for a second.

^ duckroll reamed you for me

Jamix012

Please, you're embarrassing yourself. Take your google translate and go flush it down a toilet. The list is a compatibility list specifically for the CPP. It states clearly that Smash 3DS does not support it. I'm not sure what sort of "translation" you want. We know that the C-stick on the New 3DS is supported by Smash 3DS because it was specifically shown as one of the supported games in the Nintendo Direct when the New 3DS was announced. You're just being stupid.

I'm not embarrassing myself, I think you'll find that it might be you...yes it says it doesn't support the CPP, but also you claimed that Smash 3DS supports the C-stick on the new 3DS? Now I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has never been announced. If you show me where the c stick compatibility was announced, I'm very willing to get on the "WTF is this" train, because that is bullshit, but as it stands I don't think we've had any such announcement. If I'm wrong, I will apologise, because that is just me shitting the thread, but a quick google search yields me nothing.

...why would Nintendo specifically mention one upcoming game that wouldn't use the c stick? Just think for a second.

^ duckroll reamed you for me

Because Smash 3DS is one of the biggest games they have coming out and a lot of people were confused if it would support 2nd stick at all, this is just them clarifying that they don't.

duckroll

I'm not embarrassing myself, I think you'll find that it might be you...yes it says it doesn't support the CPP, but also you claimed that Smash 3DS supports the C-stick on the new 3DS? Now I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has never been announced. If you show me where the c stick compatibility was announced, I'm very willing to get on the "WTF is this" train, because that is bullshit, but as it stands I don't think we've had any such announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFEU4t_Pm8&list=UUkH3CcMfqww9RsZvPRPkAJA#t=1177

Okay? Do you want to admit that you're embarrassing yourself and being totally ignorant now? I'm not sure why you want people to prove to you something that's already widely known by everyone discussing this topic. If you're not familiar with something, you should take a less aggressive attitude because it just makes you look really stupid. :p

Jamix012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFEU4t_Pm8&list=UUkH3CcMfqww9RsZvPRPkAJA#t=1177

Okay? Do you want to admit that you're embarrassing yourself and being totally ignorant now? I'm not sure why you want people to prove to you something that's already widely known by everyone discussing this topic. If you're not familiar with something, you should take a less aggressive attitude because it just makes you look really stupid. :p

I'm sorry I came off as aggressive, that was not my intention, and I am also sorry for clogging up the thread. I just didn't really understand your source, that's all. Granted, I can't understand Japanese so I don't know what Iwata's saying other than "c-stick", but I'm going to presume it backs up the notion that the n3DS does support the c stick and as a result I admit I was wrong.

On that note, this is bullshit and disappointing to see from Nintendo. I hope they fix it, but knowing them I'm not holding my breath.

It appears nobody is confused but you.

Ok? I was wrong, but I just wanted some clarification. I didn't realise that was such a crime.

The main thing im picking up from this is that western players have to wait months before C-sticking (?) is even available to them! They'll probably have mostly moved on to wii u by then.

Not that I use the C-stick to smash. Thats weird.

Swarna

never used the c-stick once playing smash bros..so I'm curious,what can't you do without using it?

Been mentioned a few times in this thread already but when executing aerial attacks with the c-stick you will keep your momentum independent of which directional you're using. Otherwise without the stick, say, if you're moving full speed to the left and want to do a back aerial you will affect your trajectory a little bit. Pretty much every tournament player uses it for this purpose. There's also about a hundred things that are much easier to do on the c-stick like rolling on the first frame of shielding. It's just another tool in your arsenal when you play.

In casual play it's hardly a big deal but an advantage is an advantage.

I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people disappointed in this. i figured there were only like 6 people who even bought the CPP in the first place.

Who

Banned
I don't like how this sounds like an intentional decision rather than an oversight...

No hope for a patch :(

cantona222

I never used the C Stick in SSB Melee. So no issue here.

Let us not jump into conclusion here. Maybe Nintendo is not doing it because it is not necessary and does not add to the experience much, rather than because they want you to buy the new 3DS.

Porcile

Can't wait for people to discover that Smash is awful with anything other than a Gamecube controller anyway. C-stick or no C-stick. I've never been able to find a good solution and that's why I wont be getting the 3DS version.

Sendou

Can't wait for people to discover that Smash is awful with anything other than a Gamecube controller anyway. C-stick or no C-stick. I've never been able to find a good solution and that's why I wont be getting the 3DS version.

Well historically most people that played Smash did so without a GameCube controller so I don't think there's much of a discover to be found here.

Also here's the obvious solution:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.

So glad I didn't bought the CPP.

Now the question is, the CPP enabled games will use the full buttons setup on the new 3DS?

Cody_D165

Banned
Fuck it then, I'll play Smash 3DS 64 style until Wii U hits... It's fucking bullshit that the C-stick option isn't even available to those of us outside Japan until next year though.

Not that I'd buy one immediately anyway.

Somnid

Now the question is, the CPP enabled games will use the full buttons setup on the new 3DS?

They apparently will according the the page. My guess is the New 3DS has an internal white-list of games that support the CPP and makes accommodations to emulate the right stick over the IR bus and this works because no CPP game used the IR port for anything else. Only New 3DS compatible games can use more than one of the NFC, extra buttons/sticks and the IR port simultaneously.

duckroll

That's what I always assumed, but now I'm doubting that

Yes it is confirmed on Nintendo's site in several places that the New 3DS will have the full capability of the CPP. The CPP page itself states that it does not support the New 3DS, but that the functionality is built in so the New 3DS can use the extra functions on supported games.

Niosai

This doesn't hit me too much as I usually flick the main stick for smash attacks. What worries me, though, is how Nintendo announced this right before the release of smash yet were planning this "feature" long before. This means that they knew that people were probably buying regular 3DS's/CCPs in preparation for the game and then decided to wait for the announcement regardless.

Yes it is confirmed on Nintendo's site in several places that the New 3DS will have the full capability of the CPP. The CPP page itself states that it does not support the New 3DS, but that the functionality is built in so the New 3DS can use the extra functions on supported games.

Hm... So then I guess it's rolling in all the CPP APIs but then using some new ones? Because if it's literally just a CPP grafted into the handheld itself, I can't see why the CPP would be locked out as a control option

Okay I can see why, because they want people to upgrade, but there shouldn't be a technical reason

They apparently will according the the page. My guess is the New 3DS has an internal white-list of games that support the CPP and makes accommodations to emulate the right stick over the IR bus and this works because no CPP game used the IR port for anything else. Only New 3DS compatible games can use more than one of the NFC, extra buttons/sticks and the IR port simultaneously.

Cool, I mean is the minimum Nintendo could do, but nice to see the confirmation.

Thanks.

How does this work? What product is it?

Is a mod, so as "solution" is not quite there:

SpeFUJw.jpg

duckroll

Hm... So then I guess it's rolling in all the CPP APIs but then using some new ones? Because if it's literally just a CPP grafted into the handheld itself, I can't see why the CPP would be locked out as a control option

Okay I can see why, because they want people to upgrade, but there shouldn't be a technical reason

It's definitely not a CPP grafted into the handheld, lol. If I had to guess I'll say it's just emulating the CPP for backward compatibility. Since it has a better CPU, they can probably afford the overhead.

Top Bottom