• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

Somnid

Hm... So then I guess it's rolling in all the CPP APIs but then using some new ones? Because if it's literally just a CPP grafted into the handheld itself, I can't see why the CPP would be locked out as a control option

Okay I can see why, because they want people to upgrade, but there shouldn't be a technical reason

Well there is an obvious technical limitation. In my post above I explain what it would need to do to work, Smash could probably detect what type of 3DS it's in and change implementation but that's adding code complexity where the hardware would normally step in. But I think that's not a huge problem, the bigger one is Smash would need both CPP and Amiibo NFC support but since they use the IR port it can only have one. Granted you could add a software toggle but that's really weird to have to toggle between CPP and Amiibo and only on older devices. People would be equally confused and upset. I think had the New 3DS not existed it wouldn't have right-stick support in the first place. I'm sure the simplification based on UX and time was that few people owned the CPP and it's functionality is absolutely unnecessary, but Amiibo is a corner-stone of new strategy and so that's what you get. The New 3DS handles both so it's not an issue.

Hale-XF11

I'm actually more concerned with the layout of the Z triggers on the New 3DS (assuming I ever buy one). They look awfully awkward to reach properly and comfortably. Although I do wonder if I'm gonna wish I had a c-stick equivalent on my OG 3DS, especially since I own a CPP and find it very comfortable to use.

Gilby

Does anyone actually use the c-stick in smash? I can see being upset about other potential future games, but the c-stick is useless in smash.

Toxi

Banned
Does anyone actually use the c-stick in smash? I can see being upset about other potential future games, but the c-stick is useless in smash.
It's very useful for aerials, since it lets you attack in the opposite direction of how you're moving in the air.

Also very useful if you're using the control stick for something else like wavedashing.

OhHeyBrian

Neo Member

Generally only when I'm fighting other players as it's quicker for the smash attacks. Tapping X and then hitting down on the c-stick for players like dedede is more reliable than having to hold down on the directional pad and a. C-stick also doesn't (usually) change your momentum so that helps, though you can do the same without the c-stick too just takes practice.

It's definitely not a CPP grafted into the handheld, lol. If I had to guess I'll say it's just emulating the CPP for backward compatibility. Since it has a better CPU, they can probably afford the overhead.

They wouldn't even need to bother emulating. They'd just need a sort of wrapper; just something that tricks the game into thinking "Hey, a CPP is connected" and allows it to access the existing CPP APIs. At the end of the day, xyz data is xyz data, and it's doubtful that they used anything special with the CPP's movement data.

(IANACSM, so I'm just going on what very little I know about I/O communications)

zigg

…Smash would need both CPP and Amiibo NFC support but since they use the IR port it can only have one. Granted you could add a software toggle but that's really weird to have to toggle between CPP and Amiibo and only on older devices.
I get this, but it doesn't seem entirely insurmountable to me. Can an installed CPP be detected by a CPP-supporting game? What I guess I'm wondering is if either peripheral can identify itself to a 3DS depending on which one is connected. If so, a really dedicated player could switch peripherals as needed.

Somnid

I get this, but it doesn't seem entirely insurmountable to me. Can an installed CPP be detected by a CPP-supporting game? What I guess I'm wondering is if either peripheral can identify itself to a 3DS depending on which one is connected. If so, a really dedicated player could switch peripherals as needed.

Maybe but I doubt it. The IR peripheral interface probably wasn't built with device identification in mind. But really it's not a matter of being insurmountable, it's just a matter of how much value it provides. The number of people with a CPP that would actually use it for Smash is very small and they already have a clear upgrade path if they desire that functionality. Given that 3DS Smash has already seen a delay this is an easy target to cut due to low cost/gain.

Well I'm glad that I waited to get a 3DS. I'll hold off until the N3DS is released in America.

This is looking more and more like a GameBoy Color sort of situation.

Zubz

Banned
I feel really bad for all 4 Circle Pad Pro owners out there. How many games supported it?

Either way, I've had my XL for less than a year. I'm not getting a "NEW" 3DS anytime soon (I'm not a C-Sticker, but a portable Xenoblade'd've been wonderful... if it was on a model I already owned). Thanks Nintendo.

Well historically most people that played Smash did so without a GameCube controller so I don't think there's much of a discover to be found here.

Also here's the obvious solution:

In this mod both the GCN directional analog stick and d-pad are mapped to the 2DS's d-pad. Won't be very effective for Smash.

Krejlooc

Banned
Until I either get a better translation, or we see the n3DS c stick working in action, I'm gonna presume that it doesn't work for either. Nothing in the OP suggests it will work for one but not the other (again, unless google translate is really throwing me off.)

Google translate is fucking awful at reading japanese. You are flat out wrong.

All demo's played of Smash 3DS never used a second stick and all impressions have people saying it controls just fine. We don't even know how the C-Stick will function on n3DS for the game other than assuming it'll be used like it was in Brawl/Melee which really just gave you another way of doing things you can do with the buttons. When Smash comes out next month and people actually get their hands on it and play it this thread wont even be remembered.

WiiSpeak all over again! They obviously could support it if they wanted to, but this is Nintendo- they've pulled this kind of stuff before. Like trying to tell us the Wii couldn't handle Peach as a playable character in NSMBwii LOL.

I feel really bad for all 4 Circle Pad Pro owners out there. How many games supported it?

Not many:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (Japanese version only)
Resident Evil: Revelations
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Dynasty Warriors VS
Nano Assault EX
One Piece Unlimited World RED
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd
Steel Diver: Sub Wars

And all of these play perfectly fine w/o it.

DaBoss

All demo's played of Smash 3DS never used a second stick and all impressions have people saying it controls just fine. We don't even know how the C-Stick will function on n3DS for the game other than assuming it'll be used like it was in Brawl/Melee which really just gave you another way of doing things you can do with the buttons. When Smash comes out next month and people actually get their hands on it and play it this thread wont even be remembered.
Not done effectively with buttons:
It's very useful for aerials, since it lets you attack in the opposite direction of how you're moving in the air.

Does the new 3DS basically confirm that Nintendo's next hardware will be unified between handheld and console and the new 3DS is just to fill the gap for the new hardware in probably 2 or 3 years.

Give me the support of a bigger right hand stick over scanning some plastic figure any day. Just lift the 3DS out of the CPP when you need to scan something, it only holds the 3DS in with rubber pads. Problem solved. Nintendo must be oblivious to the idea of people doing that!

Mlatador

Banned
I wonder if they are actually worried that CPP support would hurt NEW 3DS sales.

Sometimes Nintendo really comes up with fucked up decisions, so this could be one of it. I hope this is only because of Smash and other games like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate won't be affected.

zigg

Maybe but I doubt it. The IR peripheral interface probably wasn't built with device identification in mind. But really it's not a matter of being insurmountable, it's just a matter of how much value it provides. The number of people with a CPP that would actually use it for Smash is very small and they already have a clear upgrade path if they desire that functionality. Given that 3DS Smash has already seen a delay this is an easy target to cut due to low cost/gain.
I think you're on the right track wrt value, but I'm beginning to doubt it's an issue of cutting something due to low cost/gain.

After thinking through my earlier question on identifying an IR-connected peripheral and considering Nintendo's typical game design, they probably (IMO, quite rightly) decided it would be pretty awful to ask players to detach the CPP to use Amiibos. Given they consider Amiibos to be important to Smash—reasonable, given the hype they've received—they opted to flat-out not support CPP on the 3DS because it blocks Amiibos unless you (quite cumbersomely) remove it. But on the New 3DS, which doesn't require IR use to use the CPP, they can bring in that second stick without user pain.

(I am understanding IR port use correctly, aren't I? When installed, the CPP blocks IR from being used by anything else? And the Amiibos support the traditional 3DS via IR, and the New 3DS via NFC?)

DooD1234

Wow, I didn't know people would feel this way about the lack of CPP. I thought everyone wouldn't care considering most games don't use it.

ObbyDent

Banned
Wow, I didn't know people would feel this way about the lack of CPP. I thought everyone wouldn't care considering most games don't use it.

It's the fact that they have a way for everyone to be able to use a "c-stick" and they delegate that feature to their new iteration of the same handheld.

webster1

Neo Member
I don't recall being able to smash stick in multiplayer brawl matches online or even local fights. I also noticed while playing that the smash stick's smash was somewhat weaker than the movement sticks. Not real loss for not having it less doing single player mode.

Not many:

Dynasty Warriors VS
Nano Assault EX

Sure they played fine. Those that I played (bold) from that list were better for having the CPP.

ObbyDent

Banned
I don't recall being able to smash stick in multiplayer brawl matches online or even local fights. I also noticed while playing that the smash stick's smash was somewhat weaker than the movement sticks. Not real loss for not having it less doing single player mode.

C-stick was in vs. mode for Melee and in the entire game for Brawl. They were slightly weaker than using the movement sticks but they are a lot slower than just pushing a stick in a direction. Not to mention that I am completely used to that play style.

But again, its still bullshit that only the new handhelds get something the old ones don't when the old ones have a way to use it.

trixx

Well historically most people that played Smash did so without a GameCube controller so I don't think there's much of a discover to be found here.

Also here's the obvious solution:

Why go through all this trouble when you can get the game on console

Anteo

Casual players wont care. Anyone that wants to get good at the game 3ds version will have a huge disadvantage vs new3DS users

Somnid

I think you're on the right track wrt value, but I'm beginning to doubt it's an issue of cutting something due to low cost/gain.

After thinking through my earlier question on identifying an IR-connected peripheral and considering Nintendo's typical game design, they probably (IMO, quite rightly) decided it would be pretty awful to ask players to detach the CPP to use Amiibos. Given they consider Amiibos to be important to Smash—reasonable, given the hype they've received—they opted to flat-out not support CPP on the 3DS because it blocks Amiibos unless you (quite cumbersomely) remove it. But on the New 3DS, which doesn't require IR use to use the CPP, they can bring in that second stick without user pain.

(I am understanding IR port use correctly, aren't I? When installed, the CPP blocks IR from being used by anything else? And the Amiibos support the traditional 3DS via IR, and the New 3DS via NFC?)

Sounds about right. Amiibo useage friction is likely intolerable from a strategic business standpoint which is likely another reason why the New 3DS even exists. They are betting hard on Amiibo as a long-term prospect, not supporting a pretty much dead peripheral to meet that end I think is highly reasonable to them.

Casual players wont care. Anyone that wants to get good at the game 3ds version will have a huge disadvantage vs new3DS users

Assuming everything works the same. But even if not I imagine the CPP stick has higher latency too and there's probably a bunch of people who will swear up and down it gives clear advantages. This sort of peculiar micro-optimization isn't really worth addressing, if the community really thinks it matters they'll address it with honor rules.

Sure they played fine. Those that I played (bold) from that list were better for having the CPP.
Marginally. I beat Revelations on regular and infernal without the CPP by mapping the camera to abxy then played it again on my PS3 with Dual Analog controls and felt no difference whatsoever. Same w/ Monster Hunter since i double dipped on 3DS and WiiU everything functioned exactly the same. Some people just dont like to adjust even though the functionality is practically the same.

How so? Do you know how the cstick works on Smash? Please enlighten me because from what i know we have no confirmed uses for it other than itll be supported.

How so? Do you know how the cstick works on Smash? Please enlighten me because from what i know we have no confirmed uses for it other than itll be supported.

Well considering they showed footage that it supports smash attacks, I guess that's safe to say yes, we know how it works.

Well considering they showed footage that it supports smash attacks, I guess that's safe to say yes, we know how it works.
What footage is that? All demo units have been on the standard 3ds and i dont recall them showing smash after the n3ds reveal in the direct, only before it.

Edit: my mistake they did show smash, but no cstick controlls, the only time they showed the cstick in use was camera control for monster hunter.

What footage is that? All demo units have been on the standard 3ds and i dont recall them showing smash after the n3ds reveal in the direct, only before it.

Iwata was talking about the 3DS C stick and showed various games it's being used in. Mostly camera stuff but then it showed Smash. It went MH4G, Dragon Quest X, Final Fantasy, then finally Smash with Mario quick smashing Greninja off the stage. It was in the direct.

Regiruler

Not many:

Dynasty Warriors VS
Nano Assault EX

You try playing Kid Icarus left handed high level play without it.
And Sub Wars is so much better with the CPP.

EDIT: Galaxy Force 2 also supported it.

Calmgiant

Neo Member
This is all types of messed up tbqh.

Is it because of latancy issues? Because Nintendo can't be daft enough to believe CCP support in SSB4 would cut into sales of the n3DS. They can't be.

I use the c-stick all the time for aeriels, so this p much confirms I can't go for high level play in the 3DS version. Ah well, super casual it is.

I'm getting a n3DS anyway, so whatevs.

Top Bottom