• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

Sponge

Banned
Well this pretty much puts me in a bad situation.

I currently have a regular 3DS with broken LR buttons. I had planned to buy the Smash Bros XL bundle to replace my old 3DS. Then Nintendo goes and announces the New 3DS, so I figure I could just survive by getting a Circle Pad Pro and use it's LR buttons.

You're meaning to tell me I can't even do that?

Resilient

I currently have a regular 3DS with broken LR buttons. I had planned to buy the Smash Bros XL bundle to replace my old 3DS. Then Nintendo goes and announces the New 3DS, so I figure I could just survive by getting a Circle Pad Pro and use it's LR buttons.

That's precisely what they are telling you. Buying a CPP as a bandaid to that problem isn't very smart tho..just get Nintendo to fix it??

Oregano

How are they broken? You might just have dust trapped underneath. Try spring s lying some compressed hard in the little gap if you can.

Chindogg

So happy I don't buy Nintendo stuff. Getting fucked over all the time isn't my style ;)

Please enlighten us on how paying to play online, having specific applications behind a paywall until very recently, having an online service majorly breached to the point it was down a couple months, and having consistent hardware failure the first four years of a console's life wasn't getting fucked over all the time.

It's shitty that it's not in, but its probably to avoid blocking the IR port needed for Amiibo. I always found using the c-stick as some form of easy mode shit so it doesn't bother me.

Seik

Banned
So happy I don't buy Nintendo stuff. Getting fucked over all the time isn't my style ;)

Drive-by hater shit post at its best.

That said, it's a shame they're not including Circle Pad Pro support, Nintendo are usually good on the controller compatibility sides of things, in most cases. This time, it really sounds like a pusher for the New 3DS.

Dizzy

Banned
Well there is an obvious technical limitation. In my post above I explain what it would need to do to work, Smash could probably detect what type of 3DS it's in and change implementation but that's adding code complexity where the hardware would normally step in. But I think that's not a huge problem, the bigger one is Smash would need both CPP and Amiibo NFC support but since they use the IR port it can only have one. Granted you could add a software toggle but that's really weird to have to toggle between CPP and Amiibo and only on older devices. People would be equally confused and upset. I think had the New 3DS not existed it wouldn't have right-stick support in the first place. I'm sure the simplification based on UX and time was that few people owned the CPP and it's functionality is absolutely unnecessary, but Amiibo is a corner-stone of new strategy and so that's what you get. The New 3DS handles both so it's not an issue.
Ok this post makes a lot of sense.

Nintendo obviously wants to push amiibo, and I'd bet thats the driving force behind a new 3ds which can use them without an attachment.

If ccp support blocked that then yeah I can see why they didnt bother. Personally I dont use the right stick for smash attacks anyway so yeah I can also see why they didnt feel it was needed, instead using it as a bonus for new 3ds owners just to get some use out of the new stick.

Akiller

But i bought a CPP just a week ago :/
Oh well,at least i'll be able to play Kid Icarus.

Inb4 "Nintendo announces Kid Icarus:Uprising HD"

NolbertoS

Whats the point of buying Smash 3DS when u can't even use the CCP or have a 2nd analog controller for anything. Since the new 3DS is delayed until next year. Will wait until 2015 for the new 3DS to play Smash. Nintendo should realize this will hurt Smash 3DS sales, right??

JoeM86

Whats the point of buying Smash 3DS when u can't even use the CCP or have a 2nd analog controller for anything. Since the new 3DS is delayed until next year. Will wait until 2015 for the new 3DS to play Smash. Nintendo should realize this will hurt Smash 3DS sales, right??

That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Also, the N3DS isn't "delayed" until next year. Delay implies that there was intent to release it this year.

I maintain that second stick was never a plan for Smash Bros and that it was only put into this for the N3DS in the last minute, and again it would appear that CPP coding can be adapted to N3DS, but not the other way round.

SmithnCo

C-stick is nice but not vital. I'm sure it will play fine without one.

Most people don't use the c-stick when playing, in my experience. I'd owned melee for years before I learned the right stick did anything at all. I thought it was devoid of any function. This will do almost nothing to smash sales.

jakomocha

Wow, that's cold Nintendo. I bought a CPP because I found one at a really cheap price even though I had no games compatible with it (I still don't). I just assumed that Nintendo would continue to support it with future games, but instead they completely abandoned it. This is really annoying though, Nintendo could clearly (and probably easily) add CPP support to this game.

It seems like there are petitions for everything nowadays, I'm kind of hoping someone will make one petitioning for it to be supported in SSB3DS even though I doubt it'd gain any traction.

Resilient

I am confused as to why people assumed the CPP was gonna be functional in Smash. Seems pretty stupid to buy a CPP based on an assumption and then cry foul when they come and say it's not compatible...

JoeM86

I am confused as to why people assumed the CPP was gonna be functional in Smash. Seems pretty stupid to buy a CPP based on an assumption and then cry foul when they come and say it's not compatible...

Yeah, this is something that I don't get. There was nothing to even imply that it would be.

Closest thing was them saying it was compatible with the stick on the N3DS.

Anth0ny

Yeah, this is something that I don't get. There was nothing to even imply that it would be.

Closest thing was them saying it was compatible with the stick on the N3DS.

yeah

i mean the new 3ds is coming and out has an additional analog stick along with two new shoulder buttons. you know, basically a circle pad pro, just built into the console.

it has the same compatibility as the cpp for a bunch of games... except smash bros

they should have known that only smash bros would be the exception to the rule!

Yarbskoo

So c-stick smashes are confirmed? For some reason I thought we weren't getting them this time around on any version.

I guess I was just confused by them ignoring the c-stick in their controls explanation.
mpKL8YF.jpg

Anyway, it's weird that they're supporting one but not the other, but it doesn't bother me too much personally since I'm not planning on getting a CPP nor a New 3DS in the near future.
Probably not a Wii U either. I guess I'm just going to have to do smash attacks the normal way.

So c-stick smashes are confirmed? For some reason I thought we weren't getting them this time around on any version.

I guess I was just confused by them ignoring the c-stick in their controls explanation.

Anyway, it's weird that they're supporting one but not the other, but it doesn't bother me too much personally since I'm not planning on getting a CPP nor a New 3DS in the near future.
Probably not a Wii U either. I guess I'm just going to have to do smash attacks the normal way.

I won't lie I bought one assuming it would work.

I'm less annoyed about the C stick and more annoyed about how uncomfortable the console is to hole and play smash.

The triggers and contour of CPP is significantly better than what we got from the N3DS or the 3DS. I guess I'll have to get a grip for my XL that makes it ergonomic.

I played the demo for 2.5 hours and my hands were fucked after that.

hamchan

Seems pretty stupid of Nintendo to not have compatibility for the CPP when it functionally does the same thing as the second stick.

lupinko

Not many:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (Japanese version only)
Resident Evil: Revelations
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Dynasty Warriors VS
Nano Assault EX
One Piece Unlimited World RED
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd
Steel Diver: Sub Wars

And all of these play perfectly fine w/o it.

EX Troopers is almost unplayable without it. And the resident evil games as well as monster hunter benefit from the ccp greatly.

So I guess if you play Capcom games it matters.

Wiseblade

ITT: people expose themselves as filthy c-stick smashers.

This is basically a non-issue. The game is totally playable without the frankenstick and the Nintendo no doubt want people to use the IR port for amiibo portals.

Resilient

yeah

i mean the new 3ds is coming and out has an additional analog stick along with two new shoulder buttons. you know, basically a circle pad pro, just built into the console.

it has the same compatibility as the cpp for a bunch of games... except smash bros

they should have known that only smash bros would be the exception to the rule!

Seems pretty stupid of Nintendo to not have compatibility for the CPP when it functionally does the same thing as the second stick.

How many 3DS games are there that support the CPP? That list counts 11. If most games that'd come out supported it I could understand why you would assume it would be supported. But you're just settin yourself up for disappointment by assuming.

The C-Stick is built in, the CPP used IR if I recall correctly? Maybe not as easy as most are making it out to be?

Kenai

Could it have something to do with the CCP covering (and using) the IR port? It's needed for the Amiibo stand, which Smash will be using in some way.

This was what i thought too. I don't think it's the only reason and it still sucks but I wouldn't be surprised if they give Amiibo full priority over the CPP since it's their new hotness and Smash is the flagship game for it rather than intentionally leaving it out just cause. .

Not buying it for the 3DS in either case though.

saska

How is this a disadvantage? You have to press a button with a direction instead of flicking a stick.

Seriously have any of you guys ever played Smash before?

Have you? try doing perfectly retreating fairs without c stick. dont forget to fast fall. i wish you luck.

E: just tried it as marth in melee. its not really impossible but doing it as well as with c stick... i had success rate of something like 10% as opposed to 100%.

Megatron

Smart/shitty move. I imagine Smash is going to be huge, so using it as a way to get people to upgrade to the new 3DS makes sense. I don't like it though, and I don't even own the system.

It would be one thing if the new 3ds came out in time for smash, but of course it doesn't.

//DEVIL//

Sucks for those 3 CPP owners. Stay strong brehs.
lol.

I never bought a 3DS and I was about to buy one couple of weeks ago "used system but almost brand new"

glad I decided to wait. I might buy some used games here and there if I found some decent price on them. but I am not buying the system till next year with the updated version

BasilZero

Welp there it goes. Good thing I didn't buy the cpp. Sucks for those who bought it.

Nintendo has been making a lot of bad calls lately concerning the 3ds....

Astarte

EX Troopers is almost unplayable without it. And the resident evil games as well as monster hunter benefit from the ccp greatly.

So I guess if you play Capcom games it matters.

Monster hunter (well, 3u anyway) doesn't really need the ccp. It's pretty comfy without it because the L targeting works well.

Bad idea for those who have the CPP, no idea why Nintendo can't support that. I love them and the games they make, but they make some seriously questionable decisions regarding their hardware constantly between their archaic online, lack of cross-platform buy, and now this.

Arkam

I see a lot of people complaining... How many actually have the accessory? I have Never seen one in the wild. Not even at any Cons where I will see groups of dozens of gamers sitting in a circles playing their 3DS. Never!

I guess if I had one and really liked it AND had no interest in the new 3DS I might see it as a big deal.

Isn't the C stick completely different than the CCP ?

I play like a pro without the c stick on brawl and melee, so this news doesn't bug me at all.

Top Bottom