• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Direct coming December 15th

Who do you want announced as a new fighter for Smash?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Sakurai's main issue with adding James Bond was that it would be a copyright issue. Who has the video game rights for Dragon Ball again?

Well, that's a little dishonest. He also said they would have problems using the actor's likeness. Do we know if Smash Bros has a working relationship with Goku's voice actor? Apparently he's working on a huge secret project right now according to his AMA...

I am scared at how hopeful this makes me
Why is it I long for what I cannot have

Wow, Sakurai's main issue with adding James Bond was that it would be a copyright issue. Who has the video game rights for Dragon Ball again?

Well, that's a little dishonest. He also said they would have problems using the actor's likeness. Do we know if Smash Bros has a working relationship with Goku's voice actor? Apparently he's working on a huge secret project right now according to his AMA...

Don't get my hopes up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think he's pretty attractive.

RPrvqoL.jpg

That's common logic, but you seem to miss the point of the whole "slots" argument. They exist because they automatically think one character being changed means there's hope for another (and in their fantasies, their "preferred", "deserved" character), when usually it means just outright axing the character.

I get it that you have a different PoV on it and honestly I wish more share that with what slots mean, but I'm talking about the actual, most common thing people say when they talk about slots.

Hmm, I guess it's hard to tell the logical 'slots' people from the irrational ones. But there certainly are people who talk about slots on here who share the same opinion as me...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The best Bond games have Brosnan in it.

Hmm, I guess it's hard to tell the logical 'slots' people from the irrational ones. But there certainly are people who talk about slots on here who share the same opinion as me...

My experience with people being worried about slots is elsewhere, mind you. So there's that.

kirby_fox

Banned
So, literally just like Mario, Sonic, and Cloud?

Characters to tell a story, even if it's a simple one. Miku/Ronald weren't created to tell a story, they were created to sell a product.

While Mario has become more of a marketing tool by plastering him on games that otherwise might not sell-- his sole creation was more akin to a character in a novel (Harry Potter and Katniss for example). It's a thin line where you can create something as a character to tell a story, and to sell something at the same time too...like GI Joe or Star Wars.

Basically- we don't even know what ads are anymore...

Characters to tell a story, even if it's a simple one. Miku/Ronald weren't created to tell a story, they were created to sell a product.

While Mario has become more of a marketing tool by plastering him on games that otherwise might not sell-- his sole creation was more akin to a character in a novel (Harry Potter and Katniss for example). It's a thin line where you can create something as a character to tell a story, and to sell something at the same time too...like GI Joe or Star Wars.

Basically- we don't even know what ads are anymore...
So they're like ROB? :p

L Thammy

Miku is a character in the same way Old Spice Man is a character.

Sakurai wears diapers now. There aren't going to be any more leaks.

Miku is a character in the same way Old Spice Man is a character.

Miku and Old Spice dude have nothing in common, though, other than being mascots for their respective properties.

Miku is closer to the Wii Fit Trainer, the paperclip assistant in Microsoft Word, or, to bring another example, those virtual agents. You know, some websites have a character that is supposed to make the interaction between user and site easier to visualize and makes it seem friendlier than just text. Something like this:
paypal.png

This lady is not used to market PayPal in the slightest, but she still exists as a tool. A part of something, used to assist and visualize aspects of the software. Just like Miku.

If Sarah had become a massive hit and caused an enormous boost of popularity in PayPal's helpdesk, then I'm sure PayPal would use Sarah more often, and would've considered marketing her beyond just being the digital agent, like branding PayPal using her image. The same way Crypton did with Miku, essentially.

kirby_fox

Banned
Wrong.

There's more reasons to create a character than just "tell a story" or "sell a product".

*goes back and reads posts* Huh...I never said that.

But yeah sure, I'm wrong and Miku will be in Smash because she's totally a game character and wasn't created as a way to sell a program to Japanese people who like anime characters and is in no way like the marketing character Ronald McDonald...

So they're like ROB? :p

I've already mentioned he was a marketing tool...not sure...what you're getting at here.

But yeah sure, I'm wrong and Miku will be in Smash because she's totally a game character and wasn't created as a way to sell a program to Japanese people who like anime characters and is in no way like the marketing character Ronald McDonald...

I've already mentioned he was a marketing tool...not sure...what you're getting at here.
I'm not sure what you're getting at really. If she's like characters that are already in Smash, what's the problem?

SalvaPot

The reason why Miku will NEVER be a Smash fighter is because she is with Sega and Sega would rather have Knuckles in the game.

Also I want an Atlus rep in the game, any will do.

Are you trying to just argue against me cause you're blatantly wrong and don't know when to give up, or are you seriously so thick?

Miku was created as a part of the music software she came with, as a virtual agent to visualize the music that was created in the Vocaloid 2 software - the first Vocaloid did not have this feature, by the way.
She was one of several characters that were created this way, and Crypton didn't even start with marketing Vocaloid towards non-professional musicians or manga/anime fans before Miku became such a massive success. They did not intend for her to become as popular as she is originally, they just are riding on that popularity now.

Is she being used as marketing icon now? Yes. Was she solely created for this purpose alone? Not even in the slightest.

Whaleman

Neo Member
I have been following the Smash coverage of these forums now since Smash 4's announcement. The fun and coverage you guys have brought to Smash are what made even bother making an account. I just wanted to say that no matter what gets announced and whether or not its the final dlc announcement, its been an honor and a pleasure gentlemen.

Viewtiful Joe please!

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm not sure what you're getting at really. If she's like characters that are already in Smash, what's the problem?

Oh got ya.

Miku was created as a way to sell a program that isn't gaming related, and has been moved to games as time has moved on. Her main purpose wasn't to sell games and isn't a neat throwback to gaming history (unlike ROB). In this sense, to me it's like adding Ronald McDonald- he's had games, but his main purpose isn't in gaming and never will be. The reason she's even on the games is to sell them or endorse them as being good, so in that sense I guess it'd be more similar to the Madden franchise where the only thing Madden has ever done is allow his name, image and voice to be used.

If you're OK with John Madden getting in, then by all means I guess Miku can make it in.

I do find Tony Hawk to be slightly different (as he's had some say in promoting/making the games in the past) but I'd not really want him in either as it's a similar deal.

The reason she's even on the games is to sell them or endorse them as being good, so in that sense I guess it'd be more similar to the Madden franchise where the only thing Madden has ever done is allow his name, image and voice to be used.

Except the Project Diva games were co-developed by Crypton.

So this argument:
I do find Tony Hawk to be slightly different (as he's had some say in promoting/making the games in the past)

Applies to Miku as much as Tony Hawk.

Also stop saying:
Miku was created as a way to sell a program

That's false.

User1608

Banned
Well, here are my character hopes: ranging from impossible to double impossible. #KungFuManForSm4sh
hdr43s3t.5lh.png
I would be so happy if Banjo and Kazooie got in. Master Chief? Weird but I would welcome him, he's a fucking videogame icon so he would still fit in.

Goku gets in and I'll be livid
for a bit before exploding from hype. I'd take it lol.

My prediction:

- Wolf
- Inkling
- Fountain of Dreams or Poké Floats
- Splatoon stage

My "this probably won't happen but hey, there's actually a small chance it could and I would be overjoyed if it did" hopes:

- Banjo-Kazooie
- Shovel Knight
- Dixie
- Sector Z or Corneria
- Magicant
- Mute City SNES
- Saffron City
- Kingdom II

My impossible dreams:

- Chorus Kids + a Rhythm Heaven stage
- Miku
- Sora
- Hyrule Warriors Impa
- A Link to the Past Ganon
- Frigate Orpheon
- Spear Pillar

Let's go.

My prediction:

- Wolf
- Inkling
- Splatoon stage

My "this probably won't happen but hey, there's actually a small chance it could and I would be overjoyed if it did" hopes:

- Banjo-Kazooie
- Shovel Knight
- Dixie
- Sector Z or Corneria
- Magicant
- Mute City SNES
- Saffron City
- Kingdom II

My impossible dreams:

- Miku
- Sora
- Hyrule Warriors Impa
- Frigate Orpheon
- Spear Pillar

Let's go.

This is a fantastic list... Here is a virtual hug (>._.)>

Neiteio

My prediction:

- Wolf
- Inkling
- Splatoon stage

- Banjo-Kazooie
- Shovel Knight
- Dixie
- Sector Z or Corneria
- Magicant
- Mute City SNES
- Saffron City
- Kingdom II

My impossible dreams:

- Miku
- Sora
- Hyrule Warriors Impa
- Frigate Orpheon
- Spear Pillar

Let's go.
Y'know, in the GX discussion (which was excellent, as always), Derrick said you didn't have a "ballot winner" in your list, but I think the Inklings could be just that. I know I voted for them, and I'm sure the entire Splatoon community did, as well. :)

Cloud + Midgar
Wolf + Corneria ( 3DS gets a stage from Wii U)
Ice Climber + Summit
Snake + Shadow Moses Island
Inkling + Inkopolis
Chorus Kids + Rhythm Heaven

Plus some more past stages like FoD, Pokémon Stadium 1, and others.

I would ascend to a higher plane.

Hylian7

Cloud + Midgar
Wolf + Corneria ( 3DS gets a stage from Wii U)
Ice Climber + Summit
Snake + Shadow Moses Island
Inkling + Inkopolis
Chorus Kids + Rhythm Heaven

Plus some more past stages like FoD, Pokémon Stadium 1, and others.

I would ascend to a higher plane.

Did we ever actually have evidence that Chorus Kids existed some time in development? I know it was a rumor floating around forever, and I think it was in some lists that were all correct except for Chorus Kids.

I really really really want Snake back but I've honestly given up hope with Konami's shenanigans.

I'm wondering if they actually will stick to the "There's space for 3 more characters" thing, or was that an elaborate fake out? I don't think anything they will announce can possibly top Cloud, but I think at the very least there will be a semi-bomb dropped on Tuesday.

My predictions:

(Cloud obviously)
Wolf
Wonder Bayonetta

Yeah, that last one was a weird one. I feel like W101 and Bayonetta both deserve representation in the game, and this would be a really cool way to include both, and be able to deal with the potential CERO/ESRB rating issue with Bayonetta. It's a weird guess, but something I could totally see Sakurai doing.

Calvero

Banned
please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf. please don't be wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom