• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Beat it over the weekend. Didn't go for 100%, just had fun running through. I might go back later and mop up the exits I missed and knock out the special world.

my6FTNi.jpg

#morton

Robin64

Just checked with a pal, and he had the yellow box too.

The likes of Currys and stuff would bundle Mario World with the SNES, but not in a special SNES bundle. They'd give you the SNES in its box and then Mario World seperately in its yellow box.

He also said "I definitely remember seeing the red one on standalone shelves later in the day and being confused / intrigued by it, like it was a second print run"

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just checked with a pal, and he had the yellow box too.

The likes of Currys and stuff would bundle Mario World with the SNES, but not in a special SNES bundle. They'd give you the SNES in its box and then Mario World seperately in its yellow box.

He also said "I definitely remember seeing the red one on standalone shelves later in the day and being confused / intrigued by it, like it was a second print run"

Fascinating! The yellow box is so incredibly rare that I can’t even find a back side photo of it online. But I am willing to bet that the screenshots are not distorted, unlike in the red box. In fact, there are pictures of the box sides, and the screenshots are high quality.

images

images

It’s quite likely that the yellow box is the real deal, and red box is a Bandai hack job. Actually, the Bandai box doesn’t have screenshots on the ends:

$_1.JPG

Whereas many first party games featured screenshots in the ends:

$_1.JPG

sim-city-boxed-Super-Nintendo-SNES-PAL-AUS-_1.jpg

Miiverse post

I played in short spurts because I was busy with other things but did it in 4:53. A bit longer than usual but I decided to not just cheese the game with the cape and actually take my time with the levels and rekindle my love for the game. It's so brilliantly designed. Will be doing a glitch run in the next day or two.

Neat little fact I never realized before in all my years of playing this game. When you fight Bowser and he throws flames at you, the sound actually pans left to right to match the flames. Such a nice touch!

#morton #luigi

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
10 minutes of failing at the orb glitch later I wonder if I should have stuck with the cloud glitch. :p

The cloud glitch is substantially harder and resets on the attempts take substantially longer unless you're using an PC emulator and advancing a frame at a time. The orb glitch is basically the last step of the cloud glitch, and the cloud glitch which has 7 or 8 steps before it and requires more precise timing and control manipulation.

10 minutes of failing at the orb glitch later I wonder if I should have stuck with the cloud glitch. :p

It's not too hard, just make sure the pirahna plant is still alive. I also find it easier to get the dinosaur when he starts to walk away versus him walking forward.

(edit) Spent a good 30 minutes trying to do the cloud glitch and I'm coming up empty. I can do the setup, but my fingers fumble hard on the final execution. I can't get my mind to do the following: Drop turtle shell, stop holding right, X and Y, THEN hold right and R button all with the proper timing. I inevitably keep holding right (causing Yoshi to spin around when I eject from him), or forgetting to hold R (thus getting double coins), or if I manage ALL of that somehow, I get hit by the chuck and die (happened a mere 3 times out of probably 40-50 tries).

For the first time ever, I've 100% completed Super Mario World. Feels good man.

Added some amiibo to the picture.

And then immediately went and did the Orb Glitch. I love glitch runs so this felt more familiar to me oddly enough.

I hope I got the links working right.

Can't believe I did all three challenges! I'm proud of myself right now. #luigi #goomba

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Another PAL SMW box quirk:

Smas_world_select_game_smw_eu.png

The box featured in Super Mario All Stars + World is based off no known design. In fact, as this was the version of SMW I grew up with, for me, the "box" has always been blue lol

What a great idea! Thanks for doing this Stump. Couldn't have started with a better one than SMW either.

I've just finished it #morton and the controls in their game are still sublime. It's a lot harder than I remember though, I got game over like 4 times just trying to get to the end and I'm no slouch.

Still not a fan of underwater levels in any Marios and it's the same here, probably underwater ghost house being my least fave. Not sure what my favourite level is but any with the cape are a joy to fly through.

Please change me to #euro too since I'm in the UK and our SNES looked better :p

Edit: Err I have a problem - playing on Wii U VC and now that I've finished it, it's stuck on the THE END screen. Even if I close application and reboot it just resumes from there. Tried every combination of buttons to break out of it too :(

TheMoon

Edit: Err I have a problem - playing on Wii U VC and now that I’ve finished it, it’s stuck on the THE END screen. Even if I close application and reboot it just resumes from there. Tried every combination of buttons to break out of it too :(

This is how games worked back then. :)

You hit the reset button or just turned it off. Or in emulated cases, the respective emulator function.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh shit! Just found this thread! I'm in.

See you after 96 levels.

Gonna have to read on glitching. Never attempted that. :eek:

Oh shit! Just found this thread! I'm in.

See you after 96 levels.

Gonna have to read on glitching. Never attempted that. :eek:

I gave up on cloud glitch after an hour of attempts.
Orb glitch took me ~20 minutes.
I'm guessing sethbling-style code injection would take the better part of a day after many many many hours of research and practice of the setup.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I had in mind that people would experiment with the orb and cloud. In general I would say the first castle is the only viable place to actually save some time with the orb, but it's fun using it on other stages to make Mario suicide after completing the level. The Cloud Glitch completely changes the dynamics of the Bowser fight, so that's a fun one to do.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Over 50 done so far. Have unlocked special world but saving it for now. At the 5th castle and I forgot the difficulty spike. Or maybe I'm just impatient because I'm close.

Never played Super Punch Out before so gave it a quick check out... Not like the NES version at all really is it?

Kinsei

Banned
Over 50 done so far. Have unlocked special world but saving it for now. At the 5th castle and I forgot the difficulty spike. Or maybe I'm just impatient because I'm close.

Never played Super Punch Out before so gave it a quick check out... Not like the NES version at all really is it?

Nope. I remember picking it up when it hit the Wii VC as I loved the NES punch-out as a kid and being horribly disappointed with it. I don't think I even beat the minor circuit.

Nope. I remember picking it up when it hit the Wii VC as I loved the NES punch-out as a kid and being horribly disappointed with it. I don't think I even beat the minor circuit.

You really should give it another shot. The first two circuits are pretty cakewalk, but the final two are just the right amount of challenging.

Kinsei

Banned
You really should give it another shot. The first two circuits are pretty cakewalk, but the final two are just the right amount of challenging.

I'll be giving it another shot next Friday for the challenges. I'm hoping I'll like it more nowadays.

TheExodu5

Banned
I assume DKC will have a 100% (or was it 103%) completion criteria. Gonna have to use a guide for that one. D:

I actually haven't played several of the games to completion. Super Ghouls n Ghosts is going to kick my ass.

Thanks for putting this together Stump. Love the idea. The inclusion of glitches is a great idea as it lets me delve into previously unexplored aspects of one of my favorite games of all time.

Has anyone played Super Punch Out yet? I'm kind of worried about input lag, it made VC versions of Punch Out unplayable for the Tyson fight. I don't know if that problem exists with the NES/SNES classic.

Robin64

Has anyone played Super Punch Out yet? I'm kind of worried about input lag, it made VC versions of Punch Out unplayable for the Tyson fight. I don't know if that problem exists with the NES/SNES classic.

Input lag is much better on here than the NES Mini. Heck, it's better than on Wii U Virtual Console. On top of that, Super Punch Out is slower than Punch Out anyway, so the problem wouldn't be quite as bad.

Got my controller extender so gonna finally start this today! I've never actually played it. I did have a SNES and I remember playing Super Mario All Stars but this game is gonna be completely new for me. Looking forwards to it!

Just gonna go for beating the game for now, then will see how much time left before the next challenge to see if I can manage the other challenges (not sure how doable they are for a first-time player).

I have, knocked out the first 2 circuits with ease. Lost to Aron Ryan, but then again I always lose to Aron Ryan.

TheExodu5

Banned
The input lag on the Classic is pleasently low. I think it's better than any emulator I've ever tried. First time SMW actually feels playable in emulated format.

The input lag on the Classic is pleasently low. I think it's better than any emulator I've ever tried. First time SMW actually feels playable in emulated format.

Doing 96* I agree fully. It never felt like I died due to lag or anything that wasn't a mistake of my own making. Very nice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I played through beginning of World Circuit, I'm rubbish at the game, and I think so far it's felt right. I feel like I'm losing because I suck, not because of lag.

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, make sure you have game mode turned on if your TV has it. Went to two friends places and noticed the lag immediately. Both were Samsung TVs which are notorious for input lag unless you use Game Mode.

Due to the nature of the jumping physics, SMW is one of the games most prone to input lag in my experience.

Robin64

Also, make sure you have game mode turned on if your TV has it. Went to two friends places and noticed the lag immediately. Both were Samsung TVs which are notorious for input lag unless you use Game Mode.

Due to the nature of the jumping physics, SMW is one of the games most prone to input lag in my experience.

It makes me sad when I visit a friend who claims to be a gamer and they have all the post-processing shit turned on on their TV.

Blizzard

Banned

I don't think our TV has game mode but it doesn't seem too laggy, fortunately.

On the flip side, one poster had really weird sound problems with certain instruments missing or very quiet until they turned game mode OFF.

CassSept

Only noticed this thread today, loving the idea. Finally I'll actually check out all these classic games, instead of gravitating towards my favorites (first game I booted on SNES Classic was Yoshi's Island, instead of nearly dozen other classics that are featured I never finished before).

So I started Mario World today, curious how far I'll get. I always had weird relationship with Mario World, it's obviously one of the classic Marios but I never really loved it that much, something about the physics engine always felt weird. Surprisingly, the 'main campaign' was shorter than I expected and I managed to save the princess within one day, so hooray! #euro #morton . I hope this one without a photo is acceptable, I'll make one as soon as I finish 100%.

That said, this will be the first time I'm going for 100% in Mario World, which is kind of exciting in on itself. I never really pushed towards 100% in 2D Marios, did some bonus levels here and there (especially in NSMB subseries), but usually didn't push to full completionist runs like I did with 3D Mario games. I'll make sure to come back to the thread once I experience the supposed horror of Outrageous and the legendary Tubular.

I don't know what it is, playing it without save states, pushing towards completion, playing it for the first time with the proper intended controller (it's so good, really makes a ton of difference!), or maybe even the positive attitude exhibited by everyone in this thread, but I've never enjoyed Mario World as much as I did today.

I do fear how my attempts at executing glitches will go though, hah. Never played around much with glitches beyond Pokemon series (Mew in Gen 1, various cloning, surf glitch in Gen 4). I am very intent on succeeding though!

Bah, I made the mistake of quitting to the title screen by mistake and lost 3 levels of progress. Ah well, I'll have another bash tomorrow. About an hour in and only 14 exits, this might take me some time.

Karu

First time ever past World 3, so excited. :D I literally never saw these levels.

Grinding lifes before was worth it, though. Maybe lost around 50 between World 2 and 3 upto 4 lmao.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ahaha. Got the orb glitch on my third try. First try got nothing, second guy crashed the game (boss music started playing, screen went crazy), third time's a charm.

Tempted to try the cloud glitch now.

Edit: snes classic has some annoying game skipping. :( Was the original SMW like this? Feels like it skips a frame every second.

Ahaha. Got the orb glitch on my third try. First try got nothing, second guy crashed the game (boss music started playing, screen went crazy), third time's a charm.

Tempted to try the cloud glitch now.

Edit: snes classic has some annoying game skipping. :( Was the original SMW like this? Feels like it skips a frame every second.

Zero frame skips on my end, buttery smooth. I'm still having issues with cloud glitch on execution of the final part.

Also "Tubular" is not the hardest level in the game because it's trivial to get a Blue Yoshi on your way there. Even without Yoshi it doesn't hit top 5 hardest if I count by the number of times I died.

Valley Fortress on the other hand is a nightmare of precision jumps between rapid insta-kill skewers you can't damage-boost past. Harder than every Koopa Kid Castle and half of Bowser's Castle.

Boo this man, booo, booo

Hey just because I'm good enough to keep my yoshi for 6 levels doesn't make me a cheat :p

Honestly I think Valley Fortress feels way harder than it actually is. If that makes sense. I think the hardest part of it is the intimidation factor of these giant skewers moving super fast. If you can get past that, it's not actually that difficult to time your jumps right, and the level is actually quite short.

I never quite mastered the horizontal limit of their hitboxes, so getting a fast enough jump through the final two jumps was a bear for me once I'd lost all my powerups.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
First time ever past World 3, so excited. :D I literally never saw these levels.

Grinding lifes before was worth it, though. Maybe lost around 50 between World 2 and 3 upto 4 lmao.

I think that's the best thing about this challenge. I may have stuck to the games I was most excited about but now I'm likely to try all of them.

Just makes me wish a NES one had happened! But next year it'll also get me going on some new N64 games too!

Top Bottom