• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Velikost

Nothing's going to get done about bots for one product, as long as it sells they don't care. I used to collect sneakers from like 2013-2016 and it took Nike YEARS to even address the bot issue in a semi-decent manner.

I got blessed earlier with a Gamestop in store preorder; I saw a Forbes article saying they were available in store at like 1:10, drove to one right down the street, and they said they hadn't heard anything. Left and got like 5 minutes up the road before I heard about the official Gamestop tweet and I turned around immediately. I got the last one at that same store; if I missed out I would've been pisssssssssssssed.

Poppy

Allow me to pay my respects
tWZgoPW.jpg
this gross dell keyboard is upsetting me

Juraash

This Target shit is fucking brutal. This is the 3rd time I've made it to the end and gotten kicked back to nothing. So fucking stupid.

FFS!!!! Come on Target!!!!!!!! I accidentally added the protection plan. I clicked the box to remove it and the SNES was pulled from my cart. Today has been a bad one for me...

zulux21

I did get two >.<;

oh well guess I am getting two from target as I am not changing that amount lol

I have at least two friends that are interested in it so if I get them I will likely just sell one at cost to them. or give it to a family member for christmas. Doubt I will scalp it.

Amiibo, games, systems, difficulties..

Honestly, I'm so conflicted with Nintendo these days. The Switch is probably the best console I've owned in terms of utility, and Breath of the Wild was a game that rekindled some long-lost feelings of exploring in a game with a childlike sense of wonder and curiosity.

Then, you try to be a Nintendo fan. I had dismissed amiibo off the bat thinking they couldn't be good at the price they were being sold at. Somewhat ignorant I know, but when I was enjoying BoTW on release I was walking around one of the shops near me and saw the Smash Link amiibo. I had some sense that it was meant to be rare to find, and Link has been a staple of gaming for me since ALttP and OoT. So, on a punt I picked it up, and you know what - pretty neat. Nice detail, decent size and at the very least somewhat presentable.

The usual thing happened, I said that it would just be Zelda related ones. So I got the 8 Bit Link and Ganondorf. Then my friend went to Japan and picked me up a Skyward Sword amiibo, and sent a shot of the others on the list. There was One-Eyed Rathalos and Rider girl, and it was pretty big. So, he picked that up for me too. Then I really found I enjoyed Splatoon 2, and now I have the new boy and squid.

That's where I'm at now. Though as much as I like the ones I have, all but two are up there for ones that I would have gone for had I had a choice. The one I want the most is Toon Link. Not even the Wind Waker one, just the Smash one. Except to get one in a box to ensure its condition is good, I'd have to pay £45. Now this is a drop in the bucket in terms of the price others go for, but it's still almost 450% of what I should be paying, and more expensive than the game it's from.

All I want to do is buy some small statues, that aren't a dream but something manufactured and sold, to remind me of the good times I've had with Nintendo games over the years. I can't though, because for some reason any character with any semblance of popularity just isn't available, at all. No "ah sucks I just missed the last one, I'll get the store to order one". No, just not available.

Now one of the best (imo) looking amiibos releases with the Metroid one, but hey it's sold out before it's even being sold. That's another one I'll never see in real life or available online to buy at the point in time where it's supposedly released. Except with this one, it means you'll never get the chance to play an entire difficulty of the game it's supposedly releasing with. The game will be available, the £10 plastic model that ties in with it to unlock the full game? No hope. Luckily there are ways around it, but there shouldn't have to be. Not for something that's teased as a way to celebrate the franchise, and certainly not for a significant part of the game.

Now the SNES Classic. Another opportunity to celebrate the times you've had with Nintendo in the past, but not only with games you've played, but with Starfox 2 and Earthbound too. Fucking awesome, if you're one of the few that managed to get there in 15 seconds before they sold out. Slow internet connection? Haha, fuck you.

I want to play Earthbound. I want to play Starfox 2. I want to play Fusion Mode in the upcoming Metroid. At what point do these grand reveals just become a sick joke with the knowledge of past availability issues. What's the point in creating it if it's just going to be yet another thing you end up denying your fans? Oh, right.

(TL;DR)

Nintendo persistently tease us with ways to engage with them, but rarely give us the opportunity. It was bad with the NES classic and normal amiibo, but now they've moved on to doing the same but with parts of games, and games themselves. At some point I wish they wouldn't bother. The early scratchings of this were written on the walls of My Nintendo way back when. Its been a slow and arduous evolution to where we are now, but the nature of it is the same.

F5 the shit out of Target and you might have a chance.

Hint: update your profile with as much info as possible beforehand. i.e. address, CC info, etc.

Stencil

This Target shit is fucking brutal. This is the 3rd time I've made it to the end and gotten kicked back to nothing. So fucking stupid.

Had this happen to me when it went up originally. Got to the end like 5 times even. Pressed "Complete Order" and it would give me one of five different error messages, ultimately clearing my cart and kicking me back to their homepage.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got my preorder in at BestBuy but I just realised that my credit card expires 09/17. I'll probably call customer service tomorrow. I hope this doesn't screw me :p

I don't understand how some of you are getting orders through. I've been trying on Target for the past 5 minutes and it just keeps saying Out of Stock.

Goddamn I hate this fucking shit.

maxcriden

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246733806 said:
Now one of the best (imo) looking amiibos releases with the Metroid one, but hey it's sold out before it's even being sold. That's another one I'll never see in real life or available online to buy at the point in time where it's supposedly released. Except with this one, it means you'll never get the chance to play an entire difficulty of the game it's supposedly releasing with. The game will be available, the £10 plastic model that ties in with it to unlock the full game? No hope. Luckily there are ways around it, but there shouldn't have to be. Not for something that's teased as a way to celebrate the franchise, and certainly not for a significant part of the game.

I completely agree with your points, but was just curious about one part - didn't Nintendo say there will be an essentially identical hard mode included with the game? Is the Fusion mode significantly different from the included hard mode?

Brinbe

Just keep continually mashing that preorder now button on target and maybe you'll eventually get lucky
KuGsj.gif

Anyway, if the hardcore crew on GAF are having these problems now on a random fucking Tuesday, imagine how tough it'll be in a few months when EVERYONE is gunning for these. Christ almighty.

Madame M

Banned
I got my preorder in at BestBuy but I just realised that my credit card expires 09/17. I'll probably call customer service tomorrow. I hope this doesn't screw me :p

dang that's rough lol, I had to change the payment method on my amazon order but I doubt that will screw me over, it was super easy to switch.

Hopefully since it's 9/29 they will charge it in september still for you

oh well guess I am getting two from target as I am not changing that amount lol

dang that's a rough gamble... will they cancel it because of multiple orders? or will they cancel it if you try to change it?

don't know if you're damned if you do or don't, schrodingers damnation

zulux21

I don't understand how some of you are getting orders through. I've been trying on Target for the past 5 minutes and it just keeps saying Out of Stock.

Goddamn I hate this fucking shit.

I set an autoclicker to every 4 seconds on the preorder button no f5 needed at all)
put on the gong show (don't ask lol)
and waited for something to change out of the corner of my eye. as soon as it did I hit check out, typed my credit card protection number in as fast as possible and hit check out.

took about 10 minutes and 3 tries to check out.

LastPadawan

Neo Member
I set an autoclicker to every 4 seconds on the preorder button no f5 needed at all)
put on the gong show (don't ask lol)
and waited for something to change out of the corner of my eye. as soon as it did I hit check out, typed my credit card protection number in as fast as possible and hit check out.

took about 10 minutes and 3 tries to check out.

I'd like to set mine up in the same manner, can you share the link to grab the auto clicker please?

This shouldn't matter. I had to order a replacement card with a new number one time, and the items I pre-ordered with the old card number still went through after the fact.

Top Bottom