• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In Secret of Mana, do I view the stats of armor before buying it?
Ya don't! They're a mystery until ya buy 'em an try 'em! If the price is higher than the last one ya bought, its better is really all there is to it. I never have an issue with money in the game so even in the event of wasteful spending its never been an issue.

For some reason I cannot get my SNES Classic to start my dump of Super Street Fighter II (US cart). The few other dumps I've uploaded are working fine. Are there any known issues with this game -- e.g. is it known to be non-functional on the Classic right now? I figured it would have worked because the Japanese SNES Classic has this game preinstalled, but maybe the Japanese cart is compatible while NA isn't? That'd be weird....

Hasney

For some reason I cannot get my SNES Classic to start my dump of Super Street Fighter II (US cart). The few other dumps I've uploaded are working fine. Are there any known issues with this game -- e.g. is it known to be non-functional on the Classic right now? I figured it would have worked because the Japanese SNES Classic has this game preinstalled, but maybe the Japanese cart is compatible while NA isn't? That'd be weird....

Someone else mentioned it doesn't work right now. No idea why.

FSLink

Banned
GAd8RmMl.jpg

Did the resell value of my SNES mini go up now? yes/no

:p

Robin64

Finished adjusting the size of the small thumbnails so everything fits nicely! I also replaced the standard boxart with some neat 3D versions. Really happy with it.

Only at 38 games. Need to add some more gems.

8b41591d265411267fc03aa2b8376514.png

You're going to want to edit the .desktop files for some of those.

For example, Chrono Trigger is showing no cart save icon, and Contra 3 says 1 player.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Two quick questions:

1. If I untick one of the 21 default games, it's removed from the list, right? What I want to do is to replace Secret of Mana with the romhack that has a better font width. Or at least I will, once the high-res mode issues are solved.

2. Are pages implemented correctly? I would prefer to have all my games on the same screen, not in folders, without them cutting off once the limit of thumbnails per page is reached.

Yeah ok I'm not sure about the in game reset?

In the app it's set to L+R+Select+Start

I'm trying it in Chrono Trigger right now and sometimes it only resets the game or sometimes it goes back to the main menu but the save state is just a dark screen with 1sec of gameplay

Have the same error with Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Chrono as well.

Man I hope people report this to Cluster and he change it back. Seems like some game have that as native reset and he resets the game + goes back to the system menu at the same time.
And because it resets the game first, your shortcut starts at the game main menu this makes this feature really useless.

Robin64

You may have noticed that hakchi has a "Take screenshot" menu option under Tools, but if you are on Windows 10 this won't work. This is because .png files are associated with that shitty Windows 10 album preview thing. To fix it, just make .png files open in something else by default (Paint is fine), and voila, super awesome beautiful screenshots direct from your SNES Mini.

Have the same error with Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Chrono as well.

I change it back to down+select in the UI just because of this.

Impotaku

You're going to want to edit the .desktop files for some of those.

For example, Chrono Trigger is showing no cart save icon, and Contra 3 says 1 player.

For some reason i can't make the save icon appear even when i edit the save count to 1 it doesn't come on. For some reason it also caused a C8 error when i did it on one game, i had to delete the game to get my mini to boot again.

I take it you just edit the files then sync the mini to update?

Robin64

For some reason i can't make the save icon appear even when i edit the save count to 1 it doesn't come on. For some reason it also caused a C8 error when i did it on one game, i had to delete the game to get my mini to boot again.

I take it you just edit the files then sync the mini to update?

Did you edit with Notepad or Wordpad? Windows apps (like with the screenshot thing above) corrupt the .desktop file. You'll want to use Notepad++.

Two quick questions:

1. If I untick one of the 21 default games, it's removed from the list, right? What I want to do is to replace Secret of Mana with the romhack that has a better font width. Or at least I will, once the high-res mode issues are solved.

2. Are pages implemented correctly? I would prefer to have all my games on the same screen, not in folders, without them cutting off once the limit of thumbnails per page is reached.

1. Yes, that's right.

2. As of RC4, pages should function okay now.

Impotaku

Did you edit with Notepad or Wordpad? Windows apps (like with the screenshot thing above) corrupt the .desktop file. You'll want to use Notepad++.

1. Yes, that's right.

2. As of RC4, pages should function okay now.

I used notepad, i guess thats what caused it, i shall try notepad++, thanks Robin for all this info. Your posts through this thread have been invaluable.

Oh snap, this thing has been hacked? Anyone got a link to an easy guide?

Do games show as well as the original games built in? I want the DKC trilogy and Mortal Kombat on there!

Impotaku

Notepad++ worked like a charm, thanks again :)

Just a shame that quite a few games that i dumped are not working. Either my dumps are faulty or hackchi doesn't work correctly in converting them yet.

All Japanese versions.

The firemen (sound is totally corrupted)
Super bomberman 1 & 2 (don't boot at all)
Super donkey kong 2 (doesn't boot)
Super Genjin (doesn't boot)
Ganbare daiku no gensan (doesn't boot)

Robin64

You can? I can only change the buttons on the second setting in the menu and I thought that's the in-game reset?
The first setting can just be activated or deactivated.

This?

0bd2TiI.png

This is to bring up the home menu. So here mine is down and select. In Chrono Trigger, L, R, Select and Start will reset the game, but Down, Select will bring it to the home menu without resetting the game.

This?

0bd2TiI.png

This is to bring up the home menu. So here mine is down and select. In Chrono Trigger, L, R, Select and Start will reset the game, but Down, Select will bring it to the home menu without resetting the game.

Oh nice, like I said, I thought this was for the in-game reset, good to know. Will change it immediately.

High-five!

Yeah... there goes a few dozen hours in the future... yay... :/

Two quick questions:

You can only remove the 21 default games wholesale. Which is what I've done, replacing all of them with ROMs so that I have full, control over them without the need for FTP (in my case it's almost a necessity as I've replaced the vanilla versions of them with Spanish patched versions in many cases).

As far as I know pages are folders, they're just folders created automatically with your games sorted into them. As such, actually using manual folders is a much better solution for me.

You can? I can only change the buttons on the second setting in the menu and I thought that's the in-game reset?
The first setting can just be activated or deactivated.

No, both options refer to the "back to menu" reset. One enables it and the other changes the shortcut.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Dumped my kernel, flashed the custom one, uploaded my games. Everything's working fine (except for Super Street Fighter II, weird), but I have a question. It seems the "Pages, split games equally" option isn't doing what I assumed it was going to do. I thought that I would get the whole list of games and when I reached the end of the page (30 games, I guessed), it would move to another batch of 30 games. But instead it puts them in folders, organized by alphabetical order.

Is there such an option for what I want to do?

Started this morning again with my thumbnail addiction. RPGs are going to look so great when I have all of these done (only FFs done yet):

OiDpMXy.png

(don't fret if you see glaring omissions, this is the "RPGs in Spanish" folder, I have another entire folder with ones in English).

Dimentios

In "Settings" -> "Console type" the "SNES Classic Mini" is checked.
But in "Controller hacks" there is a NES controller for the reset button combination?

Dumped my kernel, flashed the custom one, uploaded my games. Everything's working fine (except for Super Street Fighter II, weird), but I have a question. It seems the "Pages, split games equally" option isn't doing what I assumed it was going to do. I thought that I would get the whole list of games and when I reached the end of the page (30 games, I guessed), it would move to another batch of 30 games. But instead it puts them in folders, organized by alphabetical order.

Is there such an option for what I want to do?

There isn't. The frontend is not coded to support thumbnail paging. Sorry.

But in "Controller hacks" there is a NES controller for the reset button combination?

Update to the latest RC (RC4).

Robin64

Don't worry about it. It was change between RC2 and RC4, but won't affect anything. Actually you're better of with RC2 for that because RC4 makes the combination class with ingame resets.

Smellycat

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, clusterrr.com/temp/hakchi2_0.20.rc4_debug.zip is an early official RC release that functions fully.

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you're done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

What doesn't work right now?
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension

What games exhibit problems?
Treasure of the Rudras (hi-res text is blurry)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)
Uniracers (opponent always drawn in center of screen)
Smash Tennis (screen stretches outside of the confines of the TV)
Earthworm Jim 2 (audio issues)
Krusty's Super Fun House (graphics corruptions)
Air Strike Force (no shadow, garbled graphics at briefing, blurry hi-res text)

Does this work on Macs?

_Malus_

Neo Member
Sorry, one Noob question: Can I use Hakchi2 with the Super Famicom Mini as well?

Is there anything I need to watch out for while using the tool with my SFC Mini? I was not sure whether the US/EU models are technically identical with the model here in Japan. ;(

Robin64

Sorry, one Noob question: Can I use Hakchi2 with the Super Famicom Mini as well?

Is there anything I need to watch out for while using the tool with my SFC Mini? I was not sure whether the US/EU models are technically identical with the model here in Japan. ;(

Absolutely, go ahead. They are basically identical save for the selection of games you get with it.

Robin64

And done, for now. Hopefully every sprite makes it obvious what games I added.

Now I can sit back and relax and actually play this damn thing! :D

31wsbfug.mwz3ust6.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While I haven't hacked my SNESC just yet, thought I'd play around with making PAL style versions of the boxart, cos those are the version I grew up with (and it adds a bit of colour to the screen)

jeEmtzG.png
2YdRMaK.png
YLYUWv7.png

Though, it seems some PAL boxes (I believe the French versions) don't have that grey PAL VERSION text underneath the Super Nintendo logo (and there's not that many great versions of PAL boxes to choose from on the internet).

K9qW8I3.png

So have to decide if I photoshop that back in, leave them as is, or remove it from the others (I've been changing them to say NTSC VERSION ;) )

mdsfx

I've had a few times when either resetting from the controller or using save states that the console gets stuck in a resetting loop :(

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
And done, for now. Hopefully every sprite makes it obvious what games I added.

Now I can sit back and relax and actually play this damn thing! :D

31wsbfug.mwz3ust6.png
Damn, how could I forget about Equinox?! :D

trueHawk

Neo Member
Hi I have a dell u2410 monitor with a soundbar and I have manged to connect my snes mini to it. It works but there is no sound. Anyone else have a similar setup but managed to get it to work?

I'm also working on boxarts now. Many covers out there look awful, even on Gamefaqs so i try to give them a better gradation and better colors,

vorXPFf.png

ojJ6Naw.png

ty4ejKd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom