• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs Genesis Sound

cireza

There is not a single megadrive title that sound better than this;
Yes we know. Same can be said the other way round, as both consoles have very different strengths.

There are plenty of examples of fantastic music on Genesis, just go navigate the topic and you will see.

Pachi72

I'm both surprised and not that this thread keeps going.

I mean, this is the kind of thing that's cool:

But it's also not necessarily... honest, I guess I could say, for an argument to be made for the Genesis since it's done way, way after the fact. I don't feel like these are necessarily good for an argument for or against the system's strengths since composition is so important and that's largely been done already. Plus it's, ya know, over 2 decades since normal production. We also have a lot more tools and knowledge about using these chips than we used to.

I want this put on Hard Corps

Celine

I would add this, just amazing piece of work:

Hitoshi Sakimoto (Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII and also worked on the music for Gauntlet IV) magnus opus on Mega Drive is Flood of power which I'm sure was already posted:

One lesser known Hitoshi Sakimoto OST of the 16 bit days is the one for Hourai Gakuen no Bouken!.
It sound very reminiscent of the Opoona OST which is one of the best work by Sakimoto.

Journey

Banned
SNES didn't have clear instruments.The genesis most definitely had better brass because it handled instrument timbre better.Snes' strong suit was pads, strings and instruments where 8kb was enough to capture the instruments whole range of sound.

As much as a liked the rendition of Fillmore (Genesis version) I went back and started listening to them carefully and the SNES version is so much superior in just about every way and Actraiser is practically a launch title :messenger_face_screaming:

Listen in particular to the variety of instruments present in the SNES version and how you can picture an orchestra playing real instruments that match, whereas I can't match any for the Genesis since they sound electronic mostly.

Listen with headphones and pay attention in particular to the low pitch horn that plays in the background. The author of the Genesis version tried to replicate that and it just sounds like he's hitting notes on a keyboard, whereas the SNES version sounds like an actual horn being playing by someone in an orchestra.

On the SNES version I can clearly hear a bass guitar's strings being pulled and slapped SLAPPA DA BASS! and one thing that always irked me about the Genesis sound is the inability to replicate the snare drum, sounds like a blown speaker, no seriously, the crackling of a BLOWN speaker is what snares sound like on the Genesis, take a listen.

My take away from all of this is that the SNES can replicate any sound the Genesis can, albeit at a lower sample, some instruments may sound cleaner on Genesis, but the problem is, game sound is not just music, ambient sounds and voices are also part of video game sound.

Here's a great example, this is how Donkey Kong Country whooshing sounds of wind and rain will sound like on the Genesis, but then listen to the SNES version and you'll quickly understand why the Genesis will never be able to match the sounds the SNES can muster.

Last edited:

RetroAV

For me personally, I don't really care about "ambient sounds and voices" as much as I do music. In fact, the only time I ever REALLY noticed or was impressed with sound effects and voices was Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct in the arcades. However, I think that when you include those to the equation, there's no doubt that the SNES is the better choice. Still...doesn't make Streets of Rage, Sonic, Golden Axe, Shinobi etc. sound like crap musically.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As much as a liked the rendition of Fillmore (Genesis version) I went back and started listening to them carefully and the SNES version is so much superior in just about every way and Actraiser is practically a launch title :messenger_face_screaming:

Listen in particular to the variety of instruments present in the SNES version and how you can picture an orchestra playing real instruments that match, whereas I can't match any for the Genesis since they sound electronic mostly.

Listen with headphones and pay attention in particular to the low pitch horn that plays in the background. The author of the Genesis version tried to replicate that and it just sounds like he's hitting notes on a keyboard, whereas the SNES version sounds like an actual horn being playing by someone in an orchestra.

On the SNES version I can clearly hear a bass guitar's strings being pulled and slapped SLAPPA DA BASS! and one thing that always irked me about the Genesis sound is the inability to replicate the snare drum, sounds like a blown speaker, no seriously, the crackling of a BLOWN speaker is what snares sound like on the Genesis, take a listen.

My take away from all of this is that the SNES can replicate any sound the Genesis can, albeit at a lower sample, some instruments may sound cleaner on Genesis, but the problem is, game sound is not just music, ambient sounds and voices are also part of video game sound.

Here's a great example, this is how Donkey Kong Country whooshing sounds of wind and rain will sound like on the Genesis, but then listen to the SNES version and you'll quickly understand why the Genesis will never be able to match the sounds the SNES can muster.

Genesis music always sounded like someone had limited specs and did their best using a Casio keyboard. SNES (as someone said above) could replicate an orchestra. Trumpets, violins etc.... And I don't think it's just because music composers wanted to do that on SNES but not on Genesis. That Sony 8-bit sound chip in SNES did wonders.

Even something like this was like... Wow. It really does sound like a wedding.

Journey

Banned
There are plenty of examples of fantastic bass on MegaDrive.

Did you listen to the ambient sounds replicated on Genesis vs SNES? I got goosebumps listening to the Pirate Ship, the Rain, the Waves crashing and the wind, literally goosebumps, I felt like I was on the ship, the Genesis could never achieve that.

cireza

Did you listen to the ambient sounds replicated on Genesis vs SNES? I got goosebumps listening to the Pirate Ship, the Rain, the Waves crashing and the wind, literally goosebumps, I felt like I was on the ship, the Genesis could never achieve that.
Just as the SNES cannot reproduce many aspects of the MegaDrive. Especially how clear the sound is. Saying the a console cannot do something at all feels a bit pretentious, after all I had read a few times that Powell and other tracks from Seiken 3 would be impossible until a real effort was done on this track by Savaged Regime.

There are also ambient tracks on MegaDrive, this is not exclusive to SNES. Listen to the work of Sakimoto on Gauntlet. If it is only one track listen to Transparent Obstacle (was already posted in the topic). Story of Thor also has great ambient tracks, but it does not try to mimic a specific game on SNES so direct comparisons are a bit pointless.

I tend to get tired of people entering the thread to make a single post about how the SNES is better like this is an absolute fact, people don't have much knowledge about the MegaDrive. I even met some guy in real life who was bitching about the MegaDrive sound but actually had no knowledge at all.

This would be much more interesting to share great tracks from each console without always trying to prove something because the only fact we know for sure are how different these consoles are in terms of audio capabilities.

For example, the Vectorman soundtrack is quite impressive and makes great use of the MegaDrive :

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

I tend to get tired of people entering the thread to make a single post about how the SNES is better like this is an absolute fact, people don't have much knowledge about the MegaDrive. I even met some guy in real life who was bitching about the MegaDrive sound but actually had no knowledge at all.

This would be much more interesting to share great tracks from each console without always trying to prove something because the only fact we know for sure are how different these consoles are in terms of audio capabilities.

A)This is not my first post and in fact, I was hearing out and agreeing with some examples until I heard the comparison that I posted and it reminded me why the SNES gave me goosebumps, I could close my eyes and feel as if transported to a pirate ship at high seas. I never experienced that on the Genesis.

Listening to those wind sounds in Gauntlet are akin to high pitch scratchy sounds compared to the wind blowing, rain and reverb music in the Donkey Kong Country track I posted, it's actually a bit embarrassing to compare imo.

B)This is SNES vs Genesis SOUND. Not SNES vs Genesis MUSIC. There's no doubt the Genesis can create some great tunes, but when it comes to the whole package, it becomes a different discussion. Clarity is better on the Genesis, but a lower quality recording of the Philharmonic Orchestra will always be more pleasing to the ear than a high quality recording of my son banging on my kitchen pans. Hyperbole - yes, but it's the best way to illustrate how clarity =/= better sound.

cireza

Listening to those wind sounds in Gauntlet are akin to high pitch scratchy sounds compared to the wind blowing, rain and reverb music in the Donkey Kong Country track I posted, it's actually a bit embarrassing to compare imo.
I was not making a direct comparison to DKC. You simply saw whatever you wanted to see.

Clarity is better on the Genesis, but a lower quality recording of the Philharmonic Orchestra will always be more pleasing to the ear than a high quality recording of my son banging on my kitchen pans. Hyperbole - yes, but it's the best way to illustrate how clarity =/= better sound.
Do you realize that this is a personal opinion ? You can prefer classical music if you want, but that's subjective. I personally prefer the synthetized sounds of the MegaDrive + high quality drum and bass samples the console makes, than the overall low quality SNES sound. I'd rather take great quality electronic music than cheap imitations of instruments. If I want orchestral music, redbook audio is where it's at. And your unpleasant way to say this with your ridiculous example does not change the overall discussion, as MegaDrive music certainly isn't like your "son banging in the kitchen". Maybe you can't discuss without resorting to these kind of arguments ?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Depends on what kind of sound you wanted.

Genesis had a Yamaha YM2612. This same chip was used by countless arcade games. If you wanted the same kind of music from a punchy arcade game, Genesis was superior. SNES had great music and some realistic sound effects, but it could not replicate arcade music very well. The sound hardware lacked punch. But SNES could play synthesized trombones, marimba, chirps, and bells really well 🤷‍♀️

The same goes for sound in general, not just the music. The clarity of the sound-effects on the Genesis kept pace with the SNES until both systems were replaced, even though Genesis was older, "inferior" hardware.

Wonko_C

When there were apples to apples comparisons, pretty sure SNES had better sound most of the time. Of course sound is subjective on personal tastes. Some people like grunge. Some people like country twanging. But the sound chip in SNES was much better hands down.

In SF2's case the Genesis version actually sounds closer to the arcade:

Doom: 32x vs. SNES. Pretty sure the SNES audio was even better than when I was playing the PC version.

Doom on 32x was a pretty rushed (and incomplete port). The dev ripped the PC version's midi files and slapped them onto the port. With enough time and effort, the music could've sound like this:

Journey

Banned
Depends on what kind of sound you wanted.

Genesis had a Yamaha YM2612. This same chip was used by countless arcade games. If you wanted the same kind of music from a punchy arcade game, Genesis was superior. SNES had great music and some realistic sound effects, but it could not replicate arcade music very well. The sound hardware lacked punch. But SNES could play synthesized trombones, marimba, chirps, and bells really well 🤷‍♀️

The same goes for sound in general, not just the music. The clarity of the sound-effects on the Genesis kept pace with the SNES until both systems were replaced, even though Genesis was older, "inferior" hardware.

Well I can go about the same argument and say it depends on what kind of graphics I wanted when it comes to comparing visuals 🤷‍♂️

Music is subjective, but the ability to "REPLICATE" an arcade quality sound as illustrated by the post above is clearly where the SNES would win against Genesis. No doubt that some talented sound engineers could come up with some magical pieces on the Genesis, similar to how Crytek came up with a magical looking game called Ryse: Son of Rome on what was considered to be an inferior Xbox One, and regardless of how beautiful it looked, it's still a fact that PS4 is a superior machine, even if there were some slight advantages on XB1 (Like slightly higher clocked CPU). So even if some developer decided to take advantage of this slight difference and center his whole production on it, you can't overall say that we can't objectively state that the PS4 is the better machine for graphics, it's just a technical fact. You can claim you like the sound on the Genesis, but now THAT is whats falling on the subjective side. If the Genesis is not able to replicate arcade classics like Street Fighter as well as the SNES does, then it's simply not as capable.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Well I can go about the same argument and say it depends on what kind of graphics I wanted when it comes to comparing visuals 🤷‍♂️

Music is subjective, but the ability to "REPLICATE" an arcade quality sound as illustrated by the post above is clearly where the SNES would win against Genesis. No doubt that some talented sound engineers could come up with some magical pieces on the Genesis, similar to how Crytek came up with a magical looking game called Ryse: Son of Rome on what was considered to be an inferior Xbox One, and regardless of how beautiful it looked, it's still a fact that PS4 is a superior machine, even if there were some slight advantages on XB1 (Like slightly higher clocked CPU). So even if some developer decided to take advantage of this slight difference and center his whole production on it, you can't overall say that we can't objectively state that the PS4 is the better machine for graphics, it's just a technical fact. You can claim you like the sound on the Genesis, but now THAT is whats falling on the subjective side. If the Genesis is not able to replicate arcade classics like Street Fighter as well as the SNES does, then it's simply not as capable.
Street Fighter is not a good example. The Genesis replicates the songs faithfully in Street Fighter. The part where it gets stomped by SNES is the digital voices. As for the songs, they sound really good.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Music is subjective, but the ability to "REPLICATE" an arcade quality sound as illustrated by the post above is clearly where the SNES would win against Genesis. No doubt that some talented sound engineers could come up with some magical pieces on the Genesis, similar to how Crytek came up with a magical looking game called Ryse: Son of Rome on what was considered to be an inferior Xbox One, and regardless of how beautiful it looked, it's still a fact that PS4 is a superior machine, even if there were some slight advantages on XB1 (Like slightly higher clocked CPU). So even if some developer decided to take advantage of this slight difference and center his whole production on it, you can't overall say that we can't objectively state that the PS4 is the better machine for graphics, it's just a technical fact. You can claim you like the sound on the Genesis, but now THAT is whats falling on the subjective if it's not able to replicate arcade classics like Street Fighter as well as the SNES does.
Oh nice we found ourselves a retro sound hardware fanboy. :messenger_beaming:

I think you're missing the point of the thread. Comparing sound includes comparing how the games sound on the hardware. I'm not able to compare hypothetical versions of SNES games, I can only compare the games on each system.

cireza

A wise man once said : The novice imitates, the master creates. Or something like that. That summarizes best the situation :messenger_sunglasses: (JOKING).

How about sharing some tracks you love from the SNES without feeling the need to bitch about how the MegaDrive is objectively inferior from your personal point of view ? ;)

I also wonder how well SNES can handle modulation, as this is something a Synth FM can do perfectly well. Wouldn't it require an exponential number of samples to replicate ?

There are some examples in this great track from Savage Regime here :

And also in the Dune II soundtrack (awesome soundtrack by the way, done with GEMS ):

If you have other examples of modulation on the consoles, I am interested.

Last edited:

Soodanim

This is one of my favorite threads of all time. Love hearing the hidden gems on each system I never knew about. It’s also helped me gain an appreciation for the vastly inferior Genesis soundchip 😬
I see this thread and think "They've been arguing about this for 7 years, you'd think they'd have realised that they're too different to directly compete so it's all subjective by now" but that wouldn't have led to half as many quality tracks being shared.

But while I'm here, I can't stand the types of SNES track that are anything like Super Castlevania IV's version of Vampire Killer. It sounds so much worse than any other version of that track to me.

Thaedolus

I see this thread and think "They've been arguing about this for 7 years, you'd think they'd have realised that they're too different to directly compete so it's all subjective by now" but that wouldn't have led to half as many quality tracks being shared.

But while I'm here, I can't stand the types of SNES track that are anything like Super Castlevania IV's version of Vampire Killer. It sounds so much worse than any other version of that track to me.

Yeah but that’s a compositional choice. I agree that’s the worst 16 bit version of that tune and Bloody Tears for that matter. I really have started to like the sound of the Genesis more and more over the years, especially the top tier stuff, but if I had to choose between the two...I think the SNES is still more versatile. Same thing on the graphical side of things if you include what it can do with coprocessor and larger color palette.

Still, I’ve got a love of the Genesis and its cool library.

Journey

Banned
Oh nice we found ourselves a retro sound hardware fanboy. :messenger_beaming:

I think you're missing the point of the thread. Comparing sound includes comparing how the games sound on the hardware. I'm not able to compare hypothetical versions of SNES games, I can only compare the games on each system.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Listen, I had a Genesis before I had a Super Nintendo, but as a SFII fan, the one thing that irked me about the Genesis were the damn Hadoken sounds and other voices, good gracious! The SNES was so much better in this regard, and orchestrated music like in FFVI and Chrono Trigger just gave me goosebumps, I absolutely loved Streets of Rage 2, but the groovy sounds never left me feeling the same nostalgia as the Nintendo classics.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Listen, I had a Genesis before I had a Super Nintendo, but as a SFII fan, the one thing that irked me about the Genesis were the damn Hadoken sounds and other voices, good gracious! The SNES was so much better in this regard, and orchestrated music like in FFVI and Chrono Trigger just gave me goosebumps, I absolutely loved Streets of Rage 2, but the groovy sounds never left me feeling the same nostalgia as the Nintendo classics.
I respect your subjective experience. So let's discuss from that perspective instead of resorting to hardware comparisons. FFVI didn't do it for me, but Chrono Trigger did indeed have an incredible soundtrack + incredible sound design.

Nostalgia and goosebumps are highly subjective indicators of a game's sound quality, after all.

Thaedolus

One thing I’ve discovered I really dislike about the FFVI soundtrack on recent listens: too much reverb/echo. For some reason I’ve started really noticing it on most of the tracks and really dislike it.

Also this MMX remix is always impressive to me:

Mato

I was a SNES kid back then but Mega Drive's sound chip is really interesting. From what I gather with my limited understanding, it's basically a hardware synth playing music via midi tracks. This is so exciting. Some of the tracks posted in this thread are awesome. There's something very raw and intimate about a synthesizer playing music in real time just for you, as opposed to recorded music playback (I understand that SNES doesn't fall in this category either since it's using samples and not recorded audio tracks). Imagine a dedicated portable music device that can play music this way. You could keep thousands of midi tracks in just a couple of gigs of internal storage and the user could also be able apply patches to interact with the tracks in real-time and change the way the music sounds. It could perhaps contain tools that allow artists to do procedural music with infinite variation. I guess there's apps out there that can do all that, but where's the fun in that.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I was a SNES kid back then but Mega Drive's sound chip is really interesting. From what I gather with my limited understanding, it's basically a hardware synth playing music via midi tracks. This is so exciting. Some of the tracks posted in this thread are awesome. There's something very raw and intimate about a synthesizer playing music in real time just for you, as opposed to recorded music playback (I understand that SNES doesn't fall in this category either since it's using samples and not recorded audio tracks). Imagine a dedicated portable music device that can play music this way. You could keep thousands of midi tracks in internal storage and the user could apply patches to interact with the tracks in real-time and change the way the music sounds. It could perhaps contain tools that allow artists to do procedural music with infinite variation. I guess there's apps out there that can do all that, but where's the fun in that.

I'm pretty sure these exist using the exact chip that's in the Genesis. Unless I'm not understanding what you're proposing...

Thaedolus

Can I get a link?

Check this vid out:

and this channel:

I may have been wrong about the exact chip used in the Genny, but there are Yamaha keyboards with a higher end version of the chip which can certainly produce the same sounds.

Mato

Check this vid out:

and this channel:

I may have been wrong about the exact chip used in the Genny, but there are Yamaha keyboards with a higher end version of the chip which can certainly produce the same sounds.

That's not what I meant. I was talking about a pocket device, the equivalent of an mp3 player but for midi files. And if it was designed to support MIDI 2.0, that could produce some really fancy music with a tiny file of 30KB or something.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

That's not what I meant. I was talking about a pocket device, the equivalent of an mp3 player but for midi files. And if it was designed to support MIDI 2.0, that could produce some really fancy music with a tiny file of 30KB or something.

I know there are phone apps that will play what are essentially tiny MIDI files from old games through software emulation of those chips, but I don’t know if any pocket device with a physical digital synth chip like the Genesis has...probably never will be one.

Mato

I know there are phone apps that will play what are essentially tiny MIDI files from old games through software emulation of those chips, but I don’t know if any pocket device with a physical digital synth chip like the Genesis has...probably never will be one.

Yeah I know, was just thinking out loud. Too bad.

cireza

FFVI didn't do it for me, but Chrono Trigger did indeed have an incredible soundtrack + incredible sound design
Great example, I have the exact same feeling towards both games. Mitsuda's soundtrack is amazing, the few first themes are extremely peaceful. Great melodies. Always stunned me how warm and welcoming these musics are.

I also love Hiruki Kikuta's work on Secret of Mana and Seiken 3, two classics sure, but the soundtracks are fantastic. Very melancholic.

Concerning Nobuo Uematsu, I would rather pick FF 4 and 5 soundtracks over FF 6.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

When there were apples to apples comparisons, pretty sure SNES had better sound most of the time. Of course sound is subjective on personal tastes. Some people like grunge. Some people like country twanging. But the sound chip in SNES was much better hands down.

Sparkster just sounds more "epic" on the SNES compared to the Genesis version....which isn't bad, but much prefer the SNES version, hell if Sparkster came out on the Mega CD, imagine what it would have sounded like!!!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sparkster just sounds more "epic" on the SNES compared to the Genesis version....which isn't bad, but much prefer the SNES version, hell if Sparkster came out on the Mega CD, imagine what it would have sounded like!!!
I love both the first one on Genesis and Sparkster on the SNES. It's sad the series isn't more widely played nor praised. Easily two of the best platformers of the 16 bit era, with two of the best soundtracks of the 16 bit era.

If you're gonna compare music, compare Rocket Knight Adventures (Gen) vs Sparkster (SNES). I feel those are neck-and-neck.

Last edited:
People do it all the time, the problem is that let's say we compare current gen consoles they do the exact same thing (they have the same graphical features).... but some consoles do much less of it (the one S) and others much more of it (the one X), you can't prefer the S over the X--They both run the same games, but one machine runs them at an optionally higher resolution and frame rate.

Same with the Switch, it's just doing about the same thing, but at a much lower level than even on the one S--on a strictly technical level you can't prefer it (unless you want to use it as a portable gaming system)... as if a developer decided to make a game that runs on the one s or one X just like it runs on the Switch they could, they could also make games that look like Doom, or early 8-bit computer games that don't even have smooths scrolling... so on and so forth.

As far as the SNES and Genesis sound is concerned, the SNES can do much better than the Geneis as far as playing sound from samples (hence the realistic but often muffled instruments). The Genesis had a pretty good FM sound chip, it can also do things the SNES can't do, the SNES is an early adopter of what was still a relatively new sound tech, the Genesis had a somewhat mature version of the FM synth tech branch.

I love the Genesis sound at its best, but I can't stand the generic Genesis sound, the base SNES sound is much better to my ears.

Sparkster SNES sounds like it adds more beats in to make it more epic, whereas the Mega Drive version sounds rawer with fewer beats.

It's one I can't contest which is better as the song sounds like it works on both, but I think Konami put more budget in the SNES game, no doubt as the 2nd game on the Mega Drive isn't that good (can't bring myself to play it despite beating 1).

According to some sources, Konami made a Mega Drive version when the fans of the first game cried foul on the SNES sequel. It was an 11th hour decision to rush and make a Mega Drive version.

This is akin to Super Mario Bros. 2 in America was made from an existing game Doki Doki Panic rather than giving them the true sequel which is now named "The Lost Levels" due to difficulty.

I think someone should make articles on these weird side-step sequels we saw and still see today (7th Dragon 2020/2020 II, Bravely Second/For the Sequel, Sonic CD/2, Kirby's Dream Land 3/Fun Pack and of course Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (Sparkster)/Sparkster (SNES) ) and why developers decide to do this when their main series is doing just fine. Just as long as someone doesn't mention Street Fighter 2 and it's many iterations.

Top Bottom