• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs Genesis Sound

cireza

So..... don't?

Maybe you're in the wrong thread? Start one that says, Genesis sound tribute and go nuts.
OPs intention was to post the best tunes from each console. You are the only one here trying to prove something. Who should start a new thread again ?

cireza

For me the Megadrive(and Neo Geo) were the pinnacle of chip tunes. SNES might have music that are just as good or even better but they just don't have the same "chip tuney" sound to me.
This is a cover by someone isn't it ? As far as I know, the game is available on Mega-CD and Saturn, but not on MegaDrive.

Journey

Banned
OPs intention was to post the best tunes from each console. You are the only one here trying to prove something. Who should start a new thread again ?

SNES vs Genesis Sound

VS definition: Used to say that one team or person is competing against another. In this case SNES competing against Genesis Sound. 🤷‍♂️

If it makes you uncomfortable when I say that the SNES has a better overall sound chip for videogames, then just ignore my post. What kind of vs thread doesn't allow a vs reply? pitting Donkey Kong 2 soundtrack from SNES vs Genesis makes perfect sense, you're just salty with the results that I posted, because I'm pretty confident that if it were the Genesis taking the win in those comparisons, you wouldn't see an issue.

Journey

Banned
The joke is on you Journey Journey . Music is subjective and there are plenty of worthy sound tracks on both systems. We all win. If we all win, was there ever a war to be had?

Music is subjective, yes. The console's capabilities to reproduce sound is not. If you were to create Donkey Kong Country 2 for the PC or Arcade, then translate to consoles, Genesis would fail miserably at trying to replicate those ambiance sounds, it's all I was saying, not that the Genesis can't create some nice tunes.

Music is subjective, yes. The console's capabilities to reproduce sound is not. If you were to create Donkey Kong Country 2 for the PC or Arcade, then translate to consoles, Genesis would fail miserably at trying to replicate those ambiance sounds, it's all I was saying, not that the Genesis can't create some nice tunes.
But you are setting up a false dichotomy. There may exist a tune that the Super Nintendo cannot do as effectively.

Both systems and the NeoGeo AES are really special as the ingenious musicians and programmers fit some of the wildest tunes on really small spaces.

Journey

Banned
But you are setting up a false dichotomy. There may exist a tune that the Super Nintendo cannot do as effectively.

Both systems and the NeoGeo AES are really special as the ingenious musicians and programmers fit some of the wildest tunes on really small spaces.

But there hasn't been, every single tune that the Genesis has mustered has been reproduced with the SPC-700, yet you see what happens when they tried to replicate those Donkey Kong Country 2 stages on the Genesis chip, it had to be completely changed and the environment sounds were lost, I mean how can you reproduce Wind, Rain and frog/cricket sounds using a synthesizer?

The Genesis can produce clearer music and tunes, but sound effects, voices, environment sounds, etc. are lacking and that's part of a console's sound, not just music.

Kokoloko85

Probably does have the superior sound chip but really I just see them as awesome games with awesome soundtracks and both systems had many.

In terms of old school Snes/ Megadrive and Saturn / N64 to Dreamcast - Capcom games had my favourite soundtracks followed by Sega games. Sega to me had the better music than Nintendo altogther but its all taste and I still love Nintendo soundtracks. Probably my joint 3rd with Square or Konami

I think the Genesis had a wider spectrum. You had games that sounded like absolute utter sphincter, but then you had games like Streets of Rage 2, or Sonic 2/3/Knuckles with incredible soundtracks.

Overall I go with SNES because FF6, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Mario World, Actraiser, DKC1 and 2, and so many more still sound damn good today.

cireza

Some european FM wizardry

I have been listening to Jesper Kyd works recently on the console (Red Zone particularly), great unique soundtracks. Really love his style. There are also Sub Terrania and Batman & Robin to check.

His tracks are also pretty long, often 6 minutes or even more. Progressive music.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that Jesper Kid acquired his sound driver from Olof Gustafson, a prominent Amiga composer, he also made the Ultracore music.

There is a certain similarity...

Last edited:
Top Bottom