• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about Pauline

Not

Banned
Wasn't that also why Miyamoto was on his "No story in Mario games" tear for a while?

Actually, I almost feel like this game is already showing that Miyamoto's relaxed that, or perhaps has handed most of the control to Koizumi. After Galaxy we had a line of very sterile Mario games with the NSMB games and the 3D Land/World games. Couldn't even get anything beyond a Toad for 4 player games. Now we've got Pauline and possibly DK in a mainline Mario game, as well as a number of other new character types.

(Still waitin' for that Mario & Luigi & Wario & Waluigi RPG game though)

Koizumi our savior

Toad.T

Banned
I just love how she's basically a hybrid of the Clintons, in the political, fashion, and yes, music sense. Just swapping out the sax for being a soprano.

So she's coming back from a recent election? Who's this universe's Sanders?

Pauline: A Brief History.

In the original Donkey Kong she was just known as "the lady"
VeSuQjN.png

Sxq84uam.jpg

b6kvZtVm.jpg

Fun fact that I learned recently. For a while, Pauline and her were considered separate characters in Japan. So the girl that Mazza rescued first is basically wasting away in NYC, while the modern Pauline stole her life.

#loretoodeep

Nanashrew

Banned
Wasn't that also why Miyamoto was on his "No story in Mario games" tear for a while?

Actually, I almost feel like this game is already showing that Miyamoto's relaxed that, or perhaps has handed most of the control to Koizumi. After Galaxy we had a line of very sterile Mario games with the NSMB games and the 3D Land/World games. Couldn't even get anything beyond a Toad for 4 player games. Now we've got Pauline and possibly DK in a mainline Mario game, as well as a number of other new character types.

(Still waitin' for that Mario & Luigi & Wario & Waluigi RPG game though)

Koizumi had a reddit AMA yesterday and he said the he is the producer for all software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...zumi_producer_of_super_mario_odyssey/diwnxnl/

That could be a big reason for the change in things. While he is Miyamoto's protoge he does have his own way of doing things. Koizumi also likes stories and the one responsible for sneaking in Rosalina's story into Galaxy 1.

Only thing I would pop for bigger than Pauline's re-debut here, which was/is great AF, is if Wart was the main villain again in a core Mario game, or better yet, if we ever seen a direct sequel to Mario 2 USA.

Seriously, I want Super Mario Bros. 2 USA: part 2 (or whatever the hell it would be called). Easily my most wanted sequel I want, and yet, never will probably happen.

Davey Cakes

Only thing I would pop for bigger than Pauline's re-debut here, which was/is great AF, is if Wart was the main villain again in a core Mario game, or better yet, if we ever seen a direct sequel to Mario 2 USA.

Seriously, I want Super Mario Bros. USA: part 2 (or whatever the hell it would be called). Easily my most wanted sequel I want, and yet, never will probably happen.
Well you have to remember, SMB2A was "all a dream."

So, perhaps "Dream World" could be a new thing just like any of the alternate worlds (or "lands") in Mario Odyssey. They could take the original idea and expand upon it.

How come everyone else in New Donk City has realistic proportions but she doesn't? Am I to believe the good people of The Big Banana elected a freakish mutant as their mayor?

TrueBlue

I think it's a great use of a character that has been mostly confined to the sidelines, and one that rarely appears in other spinoffs at that. Hell, SMO giving screentime to any of the expanded cast is a nice change of pace for a mainline title.

I also love her design here. It's such a simple addition but I think the hat adds a lot. I hope that at least stays in future appearances. Considering we see her back in her regular dress at the end of the trailer, I wonder if they'll stick with the mayoral get-up.

EDIT: That she's singing the theme is great as well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe it'll have a huge story impact or something (then again, Zelda happened), but I thought it was incredibly cool and surprising to do the Pauline reveal at the end of the trailer, explaining so much of the "WTF is New Donk City" mysterium and opening up so many new questions.

Really un-Mario and nevertheless really well done.

Maybe all the worlds are all based on previous games?

I thought this from the january trailer, but New Donk City is obvious, the desert level had lions you can ride like in Super Mario Land, and the vegetable level has you picking up vegetables like in Super Mario Bros. 2. Unsure about the other levels.

Probably not but interesting to think about nonetheless. I'm actually excited for a story in a Mario game. Please be good.

Taxman

In my head, I've retconned the original Donkey Kong story to be that she's been the mayor for decades, and DK's kidnapping shenanigans are his misguided attempts at political protest over New Donk City's absurdly high tariffs on bananas.

hotcyder

So like, quick question;

Does living in New Donk City cause some kind of metamorphosis towards human proportions? Considering the fact that Pauline kind of looks like a halfway point between Mario and one of the NDC citizens.

If Mario stays around NDC for long enough would he look like this?

RagnarokX

So like, quick question;

Does living in New Donk City cause some kind of metamorphosis towards human proportions? Considering the fact that Pauline kind of looks like a halfway point between Mario and one of the NDC citizens.

Pauline isn't any more of a halfway point than Peach, really...
oXLVJ4Q.gif

Peach, Rosalina, Pauline, 2 Zeldas, no Daisy.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, in the end it's anime. There's ton of examples in japanese art where female characters in a "normal" looking world have manga-styled big eyes and male characters don't really.

RagnarokX

I mean, in the end it's anime. There's ton of examples in japanese art where female characters in a "normal" looking world have manga-styled big eyes and male characters don't really.

But even Sega learned their lesson:
2gwVDzI.jpg

Ironically in a game with the same globe-trotting concept as this game.

orochi91

She's his ex that he just ran into and found out she became crazy successful and driven without him.

"Oh yeah, I'm seeing someone now. Her name is Peach. She's awesome, she's like a princess of her own kingdom. It's going great, really great."

"That's nice. So where is she now?"

"Kidnapped... again. It happens a lot. Guess I've got a type, y'know? Heh heh...

The other day I saw her texting someone a lot. Like constantly. I asked her who she was talking to and she said Daisy, but... She was texting a lot. Sometimes in the middle of the night when she thinks I'm not awake. So... So I looked at her phone when she wasn't looking. I know I shouldn't have, but... She had a bunch of pictures of herself. The kinda pictures you would send to your boyfriend or whatever. But... I'd never seen any of these before. And that's when another text came in. The name just said 'B Man'. I didn't open it, but the preview I saw it said 'Wishing you were here' with a winky face.

Pauline... I don't think she's kidnapped. I think she's fucking him."

#deepestlore
NTR is a blessing~~~

ReyVGM

You know, Donkey Kong shouldn't appear in this game as a bad guy.
There are parts named after Diddy and Dixie, which means the original DK is now Cranky Kong, and the current DK is actually DK Jr.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So is it the new canon now that Donkey Kong's name is derived by Donk City, 'cause this was the city he was first witnessed to rampage? Makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Monkey/Donkey one.

edit you know what, this might be the first time I'm hoping for a story trailer on a Mario game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So like, quick question;

Have we never considered the fact that Mario's real height is the Super Mushroom Mario height where he's tall and he's now permanently stuck in Small Mario mode?

Actually, after having a GREAT GREAT re-debut here, I want Pauline to be featured more in the Mario series moving forward. She's definitely a must have for any possible MK8D DLC, for example.

#VoteForMayorPauline

It would be cool as heck if they added New Donk + Pauline in a DLC pack for MK8 Deluxe.

tkscz

After their breakup Pauline put herself together and moved up in the political world, working her way up to the mayor of the largest city in the world.

Meanwhile Mario can't let his next girl go and is chasing after her wedding party in a vain attempt to stop it.

Mario, what are you doing with your life.

How does one break up with their mom? Unless you mean Jumpman and Pauline broke up.

Alienfan

I kinda wish the other people in New Donk City shared her cartoony aesthetic or vice versa. I understand that this game is intentionally going for a varied set of art styles that all clash with each other, but her being the mayor of a town where everyone looks more realistic than her is.... Sort of weird.

It's very space jam

hotcyder

I kinda wish the other people in New Donk City shared her cartoony aesthetic or vice versa. I understand that this game is intentionally going for a varied set of art styles that all clash with each other, but her being the mayor of a town where everyone looks more realistic than her is.... Sort of weird.

Should of aped the human characters in Mario Golf and WarioWare games

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Either she's singing for another playable character (Luigi?) or she's still got the hots for Mario based on the lyrics. Decent amount of innuendo there ("No one else can take me this far").

Luigi x Peach is a thing that's more likely the issue here. If Game Theory is to be believed, Rosalina's their kid from the future even.

Top Bottom