• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Question: is there enough twin blood gems in this game to max out more than one weapon?

I'm focusing on Ludwigs Blade atm, and have it up to +5, but still love using the Kirk Hammer and want to push it past +3...but not at the expense of limiting the other.

There's enough twin blood gems don't worry, you probably will have more you won't be needing because you will need another type to further upgrade your weapon.

Cleric, pop g, bsb, Amelia V, and now the witch. Thanks.
Go the the grand cathedral lamp post, make sure you touch the skull ( should have gotten a cutscene) down the stairs to the plaza where those 2 giants with axes are at. On the right should be a gaint dude and behind him a pathway. Take it. It should lead to the forbidden woods all the way at the end.

Go the the grand cathedral lamp post, make sure you touch the skull ( should have gotten a cutscene) down the stairs to the plaza where those 2 giants with axes are at. On the right should be a gaint dude and behind him a pathway. Take it. It should lead to the forbidden woods all the way at the end.
Thanks playa!

OK. I played it for about 1.5 hours and here are my thoughts.

Pros - I like the aesthetic and it looks decent enough. The slow/deliberate controls are interesting to learn.

Cons - Camera, Getting hit through walls, Load times, and I have no idea wtf I am doing or am supposed to do be doing

I played the beginning and eventually had to get past a werewolf who was blocking my way to a graveyard where things seem to open up a bit. I am unarmed. I eventually beat the werewolf after a fight that must have been around 10 minutes long. Ok, cool. That wasn't very much fun, but I did eventually triumph so the sense of accomplishment was nice. I go into the graveyard and there is a few new enemy types that easily beat me due to strength of numbers and the fact I do not know their attack patterns yet. Also, I still have no weapons of course. I restart the level after my death and the werewolf is there again. I immediately exit the game and make this post.

I am at the very beginning of a very long journey and I wonder why I should bother.

Pros - I like the aesthetic and it looks decent enough. The slow/deliberate controls are interesting to learn.

Cons - Camera, Getting hit through walls, Load times, and I have no idea wtf I am doing or am supposed to do be doing

I played the beginning and eventually had to get past a werewolf who was blocking my way to a graveyard where things seem to open up a bit. I am unarmed. I eventually beat the werewolf after a fight that must have been around 10 minutes long. Ok, cool. That wasn't very much fun, but I did eventually triumph so the sense of accomplishment was nice. I go into the graveyard and there is a few new enemy types that easily beat me due to strength of numbers and the fact I do not know their attack patterns yet. Also, I still have no weapons of course. I restart the level after my death and the werewolf is there again. I immediately exit the game and make this post.

I am at the very beginning of a very long journey and I wonder why I should bother.

stick with it, you're not supposed to fight unarmed

There are weapons in the Hunter's Dream, where you're sent after your first death.

Hi, I picked up BB on Saturday and have been playing all weekend. I have beat the Cleric beast and Gascoigne so far, now I'm stuck on the Shrieking something beast.
It killed me 3 times now and I'm totally broke on viols, antidotes and molotovs.
Where can I make easy echoes?

I guess I'll need like 7-8000 echoes to properly gear up for that boss.

KevinG

I died a dozen times against that first werewolf, and that's because I couldn't figure out how to equip my weapons.

It's really slow going at first, but as I'm nearing the end of the game it has all been worth it. Don't be discouraged.

Hi, I picked up BB on Saturday and have been playing all weekend. I have beat the Cleric beast and Gascoigne so far, now I'm stuck on the Shrieking something beast.
It killed me 3 times now and I'm totally broke on viols, antidotes and molotovs.
Where can I make easy echoes?

I guess I'll need like 7-8000 echoes to properly gear up for that boss.

Never waste echoes on consumables. Only use them to level up or to buy new armor and weapons. Just do the run backwards through Central Yarnham to farm vials and echoes easily. Start at the lamp where you fought Gascoine and head backwards. Take out the two weird tall dudes by the fire. Kill the ogre and shield guy at the bridge after they kill the mob with the boulder. Head down the ladder and backstab the pig. Cross the bridge, go up the shortcut elevator, kill the two orges. Head through the dark house and kill the wheelchair guy. Head into the Central Yarnham lamp with at least 12 blood vials, 4 bullets and around 4000 echoes. Rinse, repeat until you're happy with your situation. Never heal or use bullets on this run because you can go back and retrieve your echoes easily if you die.

Early on in the game, before I beat Vicar Amelia, I just bit the bullet and did this run over and over till I had 99 Blood Vials and Bullets in storage. I also added something like 10 levels. It only took me half and hour or so.

Never waste echoes on consumables. Only use them to level up or to buy new armor and weapons. Just do the run backwards through Central Yarnham to farm vials and echoes easily. Start at the lamp where you fought Gascoine and head backwards. Take out the two weird tall dudes by the fire. Kill the ogre and shield guy at the bridge after they kill the mob with the boulder. Head down the ladder and backstab the pig. Cross the bridge, go up the shortcut elevator, kill the two orges. Head through the dark house and kill the wheelchair guy. Head into the Central Yarnham lamp with at least 12 blood vials, 4 bullets and around 4000 echoes. Rinse, repeat until you're happy with your situation. Never heal or use bullets on this run because you can go back and retrieve your echoes easily if you die.

Early on in the game, before I beat Vicar Amelia, I just bit the bullet and did this run over and over till I had 99 Blood Vials and Bullets in storage. I also added something like 10 levels. It only took me half and hour or so.

Yup and when you run out a single run of that can get you up. It's what I did all the time. I should've done a multi-run session like you

I died a dozen times against that first werewolf, and that's because I couldn't figure out how to equip my weapons.

It's really slow going at first, but as I'm nearing the end of the game it has all been worth it. Don't be discouraged.

I had to look up how to equip weapons. After doing things unarmed, I feel like this is cheating now.

Melchiah

I thought I explored the area pretty well. I guess I'll poke around some more later.

Posts like these amaze me, and I don't mean that in an offensive way. I found the weapons pretty quickly, when I inspected the Hunter's Dream. It did take a moment to realize how to equip the gun for the left hand though. I beat the wolf on the second time, when I returned there armed.

Yup and when you run out a single run of that can get you up. It's what I did all the time. I should've done a multi-run session like you

Exactly. It almost became second nature to me. I kept my stored blood vials and bullets over 90 all game by just doing this whenever they dipped under. It was actually fun because you feel yourself getting stronger based on how easily you do this run. Once I had the threaded cane up to +7 I was able to one hit every enemy on this run and it made me feel like a total badass. I also used it to test out combos, transform attacks and parry windows.

Posts like these amaze me, and I don't mean that in an offensive way. I found the weapons pretty quickly, when I inspected the Hunter's Dream. It did take a moment to realize how to equip the gun for the left hand though. I beat the wolf on the second time, when I returned there armed.

I had them, but weapons do not show up in the inventory. They show up only when you go to equip weapons. Usually when you pick a weapon up in a game they appear in your hands. The fact that they did not show up in my inventory made me incorrectly think I only read about the weapon descriptions, not that they were actually given to me by the little hands in the ground.

It's unintuitive is all. I've slaughtered everything in my path since equipping them though. I hope someone has played through the entire game unarmed though. That werewolf fight was trivial with the weapons!

B-Man

I'm definitely giving this a try, thanks for the tip!

dead2.gif

bless :) ..... Read some tips and enjoy bro. If I can like it, you will as well.

Melchiah

I had them, but weapons do not show up in the inventory. They show up only when you go to equip weapons. Usually when you pick a weapon up in a game they appear in your hands. The fact that they did not show up in my inventory made me incorrectly think I only read about the weapon descriptions, not that they were actually given to me by the little hands in the ground.

It's unintuitive is all. I've slaughtered everything in my path since equipping them though. I hope someone has played through the entire game unarmed though. That werewolf fight was trivial with the weapons!

Ah, I didn't take it that way as I could see them in my inventory, but learning how to equip both of them didn't come in an instant to me. In that sense, it could have been done in a more intuitive fashion. Although, I personally didn't leave the dream unarmed.

I was never a really good Souls player (haven't finished either one) but the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoine were piss easy. Beat the former on my first try and the latter on the second one. If he was the hardest boss in the campaign I really have to do the Chalice dungeons soon for a challenge.

Ok, I spoke too soon. D
jura
in Old Yharnam is kicking my ass whenever I try to take him on.

BokehKing

Banned
OK so I put the game down for two weeks, it's finally clicking for me, opened some short cuts, where is the cleric beast? I ended up at that father guiscali guy, he whooped me but it did unlock the doll for me. I saw the pig charging at me in the sewer so I went up a ladder.

its directly behind where those two wolves are on the bridge in central yharnam. between the wolves and the CB is a shortcut that makes it very, very easy to get back there if you missed it.

oh...i ran into the house and opened the door downstairs, I didn't know that, hopefully that means i'm over leveled for him

Hey all, I've been spending a lot of time in Old Yharnam and the start of Forbidden Woods this week and had some questions I like answering.

For one, after somehow beating BSB first time, I took on the watchtower guy and I think I beat him. About half his health was gone when I hit him and he fell off the tower and well... stayed wherever he landed. I dropped down the ladder and found the Power Keg Badge which I assume he dropped meaning I successfully killed him. But I have to wonder whether I truly beat him since it seemed far too easy.

Secondly, I managed to get through Forbidden Woods and unlock the first shortcut without any real problems. Just when I thought the enemy variety was getting a bit meh I encounter
squid people, snakes. GIANT snakes and eventually came to a bunch of weird mushroom aliens? (best way I can think of describing them lol) They seemed like a pushover... Until I met their friends with the ranged attacks. They decimated me and ended up depleting my full life bar without me so much as scratching them. So what do you guys think would be the best way of approaching this? Should I ignore them (I know there was another path I could have taken) or should I try taking them on without relying on brute strength? (packing the Axe)

Either way, I'm having a blast again after getting a bit tired of the game around the Witch's Abode area. Hoping to actually beat this game at some point, something I could never see happening when I started playing.

Thank you so much! I will do that tomorrow a couple of times. Makes a ton of sense to do the run backwards! this game has so many AHA! moments. I love it even tho I never liked the Souls games.

Thank you so much! I will do that tomorrow a couple of times. Makes a ton of sense to do the run backwards! this game has so many AHA! moments. I love it even tho I never liked the Souls games.

This was the first Souls game I liked enough to finish too! It only gets better. I died so much in my first week or so with it. Somewhere around the Cathedral Ward, things begin to come together and at the end... well you end up giving advice on GAF to people who are going through what you did. I love it.

This was the first Souls game I liked enough to finish too! It only gets better. I died so much in my first week or so with it. Somewhere around the Cathedral Ward, things begin to come together and at the end... well you end up giving advice on GAF to people who are going through what you did. I love it.

So glad I got it. I wanted sth to bridge the gap until Witcher 3 comes out. Got it Saturday around 10am, didn't stop playing until my soccer bundesliga team played at 6:30pm. Forgot to eat and smoke, too. Can't wait to confront that blood starved beast tomorrow after work (after doing a couple of runs of course)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there any downside to summoning an NPC to help in a boss battle?

I'm going to tackle
Blood-starved Beast
shortly.

BokehKing

Banned
I got to him by going through a house too. It took me 2 tries, but I beat him. I see the wolves on the bridge, but I somehow went around them I guess.

I actually beat him the first time, how I don't know, mostly because I just rolled around a lot.
I saved up a bunch of blood echo's to get like 10 molotov cocktails, but even though I was locked on him, they kept missing him and going over his head.

I'm level 14 now, I'll just keep doing laps until I'm high enough level to fight the Father Guiseppi or whatever that hunters name is.

Thank god for the loading screens having item descriptions now

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
I've played it up until the first boss and I've died a few times.

The only thing that has deterred me is the long loading times before the patch.

I'm excited to see how they have been improved

Is there any downside to summoning an NPC to help in a boss battle?

I'm going to tackle
Blood-starved Beast
shortly.
Summoning an NPC or another person helps make the boss fight way easier since the NPC or person can aggro the boss while you get away to heal, antidote, etc. However the boss gets HP is 1.5x the orginial.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Night Hunter said:
If he was the hardest boss in the campaign
For me he's tied for the easiest with the witch (6 bosses in), I think it heavily depends on people's playstyle what they have problems with (eg. BSB has been by far the hardest fight so far for me).

Stat!

Damn, I feel like I can't even play this game for more than 45 minutes cause each battle is so intense. Im kinda amazed that I managed to open two shortcuts in a row without dying but man, it came close too many times.

If anyone enjoys to chat while playing, hit me up!

gunstarhero

Another question - I haven't been captured by the sack guys, so haven't been to the Unseen Village.

Is it necessary? Seems odd to get caught on purpose, but I don't want to miss out on anything important.

To give you an idea of where I'm at: beat CB, FG, Hunter with the Gatling, BSB, and the Witches. I've thoroughly explored all of the areas leading up to those bosses, including the Healing Church Workshop.. with some more to explore in Cathedral Ward.

David___

Banned
Another question - I haven't been captured by the sack guys, so haven't been to the Unseen Village.

Is it necessary? Seems odd to get caught on purpose, but I don't want to miss out on anything important.

To give you an idea of where I'm at: beat CB, FG, Hunter with the Gatling, BSB, and the Witches. I've thoroughly explored all of the areas leading up to those bosses, including the Healing Church Workshop.. with some more to explore in Cathedral Ward.

You're going to have to go through the area any way later on so you might as well wait.

They appear after you beat Vicar Amelia.

gunstarhero

You're going to have to go through the area any way later on so you might as well wait.

K - but
do I need to get caught? Or can I make it there another way? Don't want to be spoiled, but just want to know if I have to let myself be killed or not

lunlunqq

Have you got into the
old abandoned workshop
? The unseen village will allow you to save one NPC and get an awesome weapon early. You can also fight a boss there. I say it's worth dying once for.

K - but
do I need to get caught? Or can I make it there another way? Don't want to be spoiled, but just want to know if I have to let myself be killed or not

You want to get captured. It
gives you access to a great place to farm twin bloodstone shards and the boss of the area Darkbeast Paarl is too easy by the time the main game takes you there. I got captured but made the mistake of waiting too long to face him (somewhere in the lvl 60 range) and what should have been one of the coolest fights in the game turned into a sub 30s curb stomping.

gunstarhero

Have you got into the
old abandoned workshop
? The unseen village will allow you to save one NPC and get an awesome weapon early. You can also fight a boss there. I say it's worth dying once for.

Yes - been there. From what I understand, the only thing left to do right now is kill Amelia Vicar, which I somehow missed before doing all the other stuff I listed out. I believe I know where she is, so I'll either do that, or let one of the sackboys kill me :)

gunstarhero

You want to get captured. It
gives you access to a great place to farm twin bloodstone shards and the boss of the area Darkbeast Paarl is too easy by the time the main game takes you there. I got captured but made the mistake of waiting too long to face him (somewhere in the lvl 60 range) and what should have been one of the coolest fights in the game turned into a sub 30s curb stomping.

Good to know! Thanks!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Summoning an NPC or another person helps make the boss fight way easier since the NPC or person can aggro the boss while you get away to heal, antidote, etc. However the boss gets HP is 1.5x the orginial.

I went ahead and summoned Alfred to see how that dynamic would work, and yeah, you weren't kidding. It was a walk in the park with him helping distract the boss.

Do chalice dungeons have a cost each time you enter, or just once to create the chalice? I'm not quite clear on that.

Top Bottom