• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

lunlunqq

Yes - been there. From what I understand, the only thing left to do right now is kill Amelia Vicar, which I somehow missed before doing all the other stuff I listed out. I believe I know where she is, so I'll either do that, or let one of the sackboys kill me :)

The NPC Is missable though, if you don't go to the village before a certain boss.

CLEEK

Question: is there enough twin blood gems in this game to max out more than one weapon?

I'm focusing on Ludwigs Blade atm, and have it up to +5, but still love using the Kirk Hammer and want to push it past +3...but not at the expense of limiting the other.

Blood Chunks are the main limiting factor. They upgrade a weapon from +7 to +9. And there is only one item to get you to +10 per play through. By the time you get Blood Chunks, you should have a stash of Twin Blood Shards. Certain enemies drop them with a high rate of chance. I'd got four weapons up to +6 by the time I found my first chunk.

Upgrade your preferred main to +6, then don't worry about upgrading others to +6 as well. TBH,

Started playing on Saturday, I'm closing on level 40, killed Father G, Cleric, BSB, Vicar and Witch.

I'm having a blast although my technique is sloppy as hell; I never use lock-on, and I don't know how to use the pistol (is there auto-aim when locking on ? Cause I never hit my target). I'm gonna switch to the flame-thrower to see if it fits my style better.

The only minor gripe I have is the lack of explanation for anything, which resulted in me letting
the lady crow hunter
get killed, or losing +40000 blood echoes because I got grabbed and insta killed by some sort of teleporting translucid giant.

Next step will be to try the first chalice dungeon.

Noobcraft

Being level 26 with the cannon is hilarious lol. I'm just joining people's worlds to help them out and in one we got invaded. I totally 1 shot the invader lol.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Started playing on Saturday, I'm closing on level 40, killed Father G, Cleric, BSB, Vicar and Witch.

I'm having a blast although my technique is sloppy as hell; I never use lock-on, and I don't know how to use the pistol (is there auto-aim when locking on ? Cause I never hit my target). I'm gonna switch to the flame-thrower to see if it fits my style better.

The only minor gripe I have is the lack of explanation for anything, which resulted in me letting
the lady crow hunter
get killed, or losing +40000 blood echoes because I got grabbed and insta killed by some sort of teleporting translucid giant.

That frenzy giant is an asshole for sure the first time you meet him.

I also feel your pain re:
Eileen the Crow Hunter
, I accidently killed her when I was actually trying to help her fight that hunter :p haha... (at least we got the
Crow armor early though
..).

Regarding the pistol, I think it's just a soft lock, I normally hit my target but I always wait for them to lunge at me directly.... if they are moving around sideways it's a small chance of hitting IMO. Parry is god-tier once you get the hang of it mate, I recommend experimenting as you'll need it once you get to
Cainhurst Castle....

Toxi

Banned
Father G is in no way, shape or form harder than some of the optional bosses in the campaign.
Yeah, the only reason he could be considered the hardest boss is that he's the first boss that really requires you to have a basic understanding of the combat mechanics.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Father G is imo the hardest part of the game. If you can beat him you can beat anything else the game throws at you.

EDIT: In the main campaign at least...the optional chalice dungeons are another beast altogether
Yeah, I agree with that. Out of all the non-chalice bosses he's the one that killed me the most, by far. Though I did find him before Cleric Beast and hadn't levelled up, but still. Even in NG+ and NG++ he killed me at least once both times (bastard), one missed riposte and you get kinda slaughtered. Every single other (again, non-chalice) boss took 1 or 2 tries at the most except Ebrietas. IIRC I died twice or thrice to Ebrietas at the most. In NG+ I killed everyone except Amelia, Father G and Ebrietas first try, and needed no more than one retry for those three.

People bitch that Dark Souls 2 bosses are too easy, but honestly, outside of chalice ones, BB ones are way easier. 3v1 for the Shadows? Pah, they're nothing compared to the Sentinels, let alone the DLC bosses.

My problem was to dodge his meteorites, which he spammed like every 20 seconds on most fights I had with him, independently from what I was doing.

I strongly suspect the game to have huge RNG when it comes to bosses patterns, which can make the same boss either extremely easy of extremely hard.
My best example would be ML: if he just spams his magic and does no physical attack in his first form, you can't counter him and he's quite hard. Once he start using more physical attacks, he becomes relatively easy.
Same for his second form I think, but I can't be so sure because I only got him there once, and he was just doing very telegraphed moves easy to counter, so I destroyed him then. I heard he can be a pain in the ass in his second form though.
Maybe... but eh, I fought non-Chalice Rom 3 times, and Martyr Logarius twice (skipped the optional bosses in NG++ 'cause I just beelined to the 3rd ending) and they never gave me problems. They used all of their magic attacks too, but they aren't that bad at all. The game's fairly generous at windows for dodging, openings for attacking, and most of all, for healing. Hell, I was quite sloppy several times, but often just won because I had plenty of vials.

I'd say the most hardest part so far has been S
hadow of Yharnam
for me, due to the
amount of opponents
. It was only made worse by the long journey to the battleground.

I had to raise my levels quite a bit before I returned there, and followed a guide which recommended to
kill the katana guy first, then the one with the flaming katana, and last the fireball dude.
. Even still, I felt like I beat the battle by sheer luck.
Man, the snake part at the end is kinda dangerous since it's hard to predict when it'll hit you or not, but unless that OHKOs, you can just pop a vial and finish off the last one. I never had a problem with those guys. Fun fight and can be tense but you have plenty of room to dodge, heal, use the pillar to hide/heal etc. And they die pretty fast with viscerals.

You want a really brutal 3v1, avoid Dark Souls 2. xD
Sentinels are tough, not too bad but harder than just about any non-chalice BB boss. Elana and the DLC trio are just RAHHHHH

Usually when you pick a weapon up in a game they appear in your hands.
Uhhh what? Since when is this common in RPGs? This isn't Gears of War... In RPGs, and even RPG-lites, if you pick up a weapon, you need to go into a menu to equip it. Always.

Have you just never played a single RPG-like game before? Or maybe modern RPGs all tell you "You got a weapon! Open the inventory management with [button] and navigate to your equipment slot. Then press X to equip your new weapon!", but even then I'm not sure they even dumb it down that much.

It's unintuitive is all.
Nuh-uh. Don't pass this off as a problem with the game design.

The camera in this game is dog shit. It's the worst enemy in the game.
It's not that bad at all, you just need to know when to lock-on and when to not lock-on (that would usually be vs large bosses -- think Monster Hunter, somewhat).

Father G is in no way, shape or form harder than some of the optional bosses in the campaign.
I disagree. He's faster and more aggressive than any of the optional bosses. And since he's early you're likely not very strong with your weapon/stats so you die faster.
Maybe Ebrietas is harder, but I was pretty powerful by the time I reached her, and could survive more easily even though her charge is a bit hard to dodge.
The cemetery terrain is a bit annoying too, sometimes I'd dodge around but would get stuck in the tombstones and take hits I'd otherwise not take in a flatter arena.

phen0m24

Oh my gosh these dungeons. Up ladder. Down ladder. These noises... Insane wanna-be sucker things like Half Like 2. YUCK. Crazy zombie-looking lady with double fire blades - LEAVE. ME. ALONE.

That said, I just got the Lower Root something or other after killing the
Pthumerian Descendant - after killing the Madman.

Honestly I find the bosses easier than going through these rooms sometimes. At least there's room to move.

People say there are 4 or 5 layer dungeons. OH GOSH MY EYES. I just want the beast claws, the 15 blood gem, and whatever else I need down in these sewers of awfulness so I can go kill
Germ-man and his squid friend
and get a shiny trophy.

I want to be free....

Regarding the pistol, I think it's just a soft lock, I normally hit my target but I always wait for them to lunge at me directly.... if they are moving around sideways it's a small chance of hitting IMO. Parry is god-tier once you get the hang of it mate, I recommend experimenting as you'll need it once you get to
Cainhurst Castle....

I already spent 8000 echoes on the flame thingy though, isn't it a good weapon to stop attacks as well ? I assume it's got a larger damage area and since I can't aim for shit it might be better ?

Never waste echoes on consumables. Only use them to level up or to buy new armor and weapons. Just do the run backwards through Central Yarnham to farm vials and echoes easily. Start at the lamp where you fought Gascoine and head backwards. Take out the two weird tall dudes by the fire. Kill the ogre and shield guy at the bridge after they kill the mob with the boulder. Head down the ladder and backstab the pig. Cross the bridge, go up the shortcut elevator, kill the two orges. Head through the dark house and kill the wheelchair guy. Head into the Central Yarnham lamp with at least 12 blood vials, 4 bullets and around 4000 echoes. Rinse, repeat until you're happy with your situation. Never heal or use bullets on this run because you can go back and retrieve your echoes easily if you die.

Early on in the game, before I beat Vicar Amelia, I just bit the bullet and did this run over and over till I had 99 Blood Vials and Bullets in storage. I also added something like 10 levels. It only took me half and hour or so.

I used to believe this, but at certain point it is much more efficient to buy consumables.
Equip Moon and Heir runes, go to Forbidden Woods and parry/riposte the Executioner at the beginning for over 10k blood echoes in less than 2 minutes.

On my second run now going for the platinum using the official strategy guide. I've progressed as much in 9 hours as I did in 30 hours the first run. I'm summoning for every boss and having fun in co-op. Don't feel like I'm cheating because I beat it all solo the first time.

Melchiah

Man, the snake part at the end is kinda dangerous since it's hard to predict when it'll hit you or not, but unless that OHKOs, you can just pop a vial and finish off the last one. I never had a problem with those guys. Fun fight and can be tense but you have plenty of room to dodge, heal, use the pillar to hide/heal etc. And they die pretty fast with viscerals.

You want a really brutal 3v1, avoid Dark Souls 2. xD
Sentinels are tough, not too bad but harder than just about any non-chalice BB boss. Elana and the DLC trio are just RAHHHHH

The second forms were hard as hell, particularly if there were more than one of them around. I followed the guide I linked earlier, and handled them in that order before any of them could change. It was still pretty hard in the beginning of the match, when two of them were charging at you, and you had very little time for healing after they managed to hit you.
The one with fireballs was easy though, which is why the guide advised to leave him for last.

EDIT: On a side note, I've so far managed to beat all the bosses by myself, and I kinda wish there was a trophy for completing the game without summoning help. =)

Took me 2 hours to beat
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
but I blew through
Amygdala
and
Celestial Emissary
pretty quickly. Nightmare of Mensis is destroying me, but I finally managed to light the 2nd lamp in that area last night.

I've loved playing this, but I'm ready for it to be over. I want to play something else, but this is all that's on my mind until I beat it.

I had them, but weapons do not show up in the inventory. They show up only when you go to equip weapons. Usually when you pick a weapon up in a game they appear in your hands. The fact that they did not show up in my inventory made me incorrectly think I only read about the weapon descriptions, not that they were actually given to me by the little hands in the ground.

It's unintuitive is all. I've slaughtered everything in my path since equipping them though. I hope someone has played through the entire game unarmed though. That werewolf fight was trivial with the weapons!

It does show up in your inventory.

72ftTfj.png

I went ahead and summoned Alfred to see how that dynamic would work, and yeah, you weren't kidding. It was a walk in the park with him helping distract the boss.

Do chalice dungeons have a cost each time you enter, or just once to create the chalice? I'm not quite clear on that.
Well Chalice dungeons have a cost each time to create one. After you created one, you are able to search and use any chalice dungeon of that type for free. I am pretty sure it doesnt cost you anything to make another one of that type of chalice dungeon. I never done it so I cant say.

Hydrus

Beat it this past weekend. I went from hating it, to absolutely loving it. I took me about 50 hours to beat. Fantastic game, but I decided to trade it in at best buy while the value was still high. Thanks to gamers club I paid $48 for it, then traded it in for $35. 13 bucks for 50 hours of an awesome game. Will definitely buy it again someday if it goes under 20.

IronRinn

Just beat R
om
this weekend and earlier has a fun time beating M
artyr
L
ogarius
with the help of a random internet hunter (seriously, thank you anonymous hunter, that was fun as hell). I really loathed this game when I first started playing it and while I still think there are questionable design choices, I've come to the point where I'm enjoying my time with it. This may be the first From "Souls" game that I make it all the way through.

Unless I fail to complete it before The Witcher 3 comes out.

barit

How is it going? Well, slowly I would say. One time it's beautiful, scary and really immersive. Another time it's frustrating and unfair. I really hate this cheap mechanic of losing all bloodechos when dying twice on different mobs. I know that this is the "soul" of all these games, that's the reason why you always feeling the tension in fights because you can lose everything. But for the traditional gamer it is really hard to except the fact that your XP bar for leveling up is not saved until you have spend the points. So when ever I reach 20k+ blood I don't want to explore the world any further and start farming the same spots over and over again. Also this game has the magic to get you back even after you leave it in rage like "fuck this shit game,I will never touch it again". 2h later. "Well, I should try the other path that I saw earlier". Starts Bloodborne.

So far I'm still undecided if I like it or not.
and I'm currently at Boss 3 so what do I know anyway

Logsi

Gave this game a couple week hiatus and came back to it this weekend...think I'm over it now. Shame...was enjoying it but the load times got to me and now i think i'm no longer feeling it.

Shadous

Neo Member
Really, really enjoying this game. I was a huge Nightmare Creatures fan so this theme is amazing. Finally defeated the BSB. I had to get up and walk around the apartment after a few tries on that one. The adrenaline rushes this game puts you through are intense.

Gave this game a couple week hiatus and came back to it this weekend...think I'm over it now. Shame...was enjoying it but the load times got to me and now i think i'm no longer feeling it.

Load times after the patch are really good though. Have you installed that?

Naite

I didn't think I would have done new game plus since I have a bunch of other games I need to catch up on, but it's so much fun speed running through everything and catching everything I missed the first time (I got
Eileen
killed by
Hendryk
in my last run so I made sure that didn't happen this time).

I was progressing slowly through the game because of the repetitiveness of the chalice dungeons leading up to the pthumerian queen, but I was finally able to beat that and get all 3 endings for the plat trophy. Was gonna go into the root dungeons for more loot but based on my build I don't feel the need to so I joined some random coop chalice dungeons. Did my best to try and help people with the defiled dungeon but I usually die in one bad hit. One time I joined a dungeon, I spawned in front of someone so I waved to them, realizing too late that he wasn't the host player but an npc hunter.

Melchiah

It seems there's indeed a glitch with Gehrman in the Hunter's Dream. I just noticed that I can talk to him inside the building, where he usually sits, but he's nowhere to be seen.

I wonder why the T
omb of Odeon
lantern is unusable, and if it's related to the H
enryk
battle in E
ileen's
quest, which I've already completed. I don't remember if I've used it since that battle.

Raptomex

the lady crow hunter

That's my biggest issue with this game. I've been playing it but I have no idea what anything means. I know it's all supposed to be cryptic but my god. I have no idea what I need to do certain things. I know nothing about rituals. But I'm plugging along.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Beat the game twice this weekend and got all 3 endings (put your save on a USB stick before the final fight). Fantastic game. I'm just waiting for dark souls 2 to be patched and I'll get cracking on that!

LifeLike

That's my biggest issue with this game. I've been playing it but I have no idea what anything means. I know it's all supposed to be cryptic but my god. I have no idea what I need to do certain things. I know nothing about rituals. But I'm plugging along.

If you're someone who think story should come from things happening and not item descriptions, if you're someone who think that the characters should talk and make sense and not speak so cryptically that you're concerned that they're mentally disabled, I would say look elsewhere.

Jisgsaw

Maybe... but eh, I fought non-Chalice Rom 3 times, and Martyr Logarius twice (skipped the optional bosses in NG++ 'cause I just beelined to the 3rd ending) and they never gave me problems. They used all of their magic attacks too, but they aren't that bad at all. The game's fairly generous at windows for dodging, openings for attacking, and most of all, for healing. Hell, I was quite sloppy several times, but often just won because I had plenty of vials.

My problem (mainly ML) was not that he was using magic; it was that he was only using magic in a couple fights, and especially spammed it at soon as I got anywhere near him, forcing me to retreat and let the fight drag on and on 'till I had no potions left.

I disagree. He's faster and more aggressive than any of the optional bosses.

Again, the aggressivity of a boss seems (from my observation) to be extremely RNG dependant. In my victorious fight against FG for example, he wasn't really aggressive, at least far less than Ebrietas on every single fight I had with her. I found the first final boss slightly harder than FG for example.
And of course, you being relatively free with your level up and boss sequence, the difficulty of a boss really can't be compared from one player to another without more infos. I'm pretty sure a guy who fought BSB on lv 40 for example would have found him much more easy than me, who beat him level 20, or someone else who went against him lv 15.

What level should I be before fighting father g?

FYI: I'm a total noob. Bought BB on Sat. and never a played Souls games before.
I beat father cascoigne with the second try. Pretty much 30 mins after the cleric beast, so Lv. 10-12. Any level you are at should be fine.
That guy is easier than the cleric beast IMO because after 1 try you will know his moves, then it's about reaction.

I set BB aside about a month ago now and honestly I haven't felt the desire to go back to it. I understand the appeal and I do like the game, but as a father of a 3 year old with a full time job and housework and lawn duty, I just don't seem to have time in my life for a game like this.

I get maybe an hour a night to play games, and after I spent multiple sessions making little to no progress I decided to take a break, and I haven't gone back since. I ended up stopping after beating Father G and exploring a bit in Old Yarnham.

If the game had an easy mode where I could respawn where I died without losing progress or items/souls and not have to play through the same content over and over, I would be all for it. I actually don't think the gameplay itself is that difficult, I'm someone who loved the challenge of the Ninja Gaiden games, its more how the game punishes dying and the way the lamp checkpoints work. As it stands the structure of the game just doesn't work for me right now. In order for gaming to fit into my life I need to play games where I can make consistent progress each time I play.

I'll save it for the unlikely event that I have a few days without anything else to do and can get back into it.

IISANDERII

Never waste echoes on consumables. Only use them to level up or to buy new armor and weapons. Just do the run backwards through Central Yarnham to farm vials and echoes easily. Start at the lamp where you fought Gascoine and head backwards. Take out the two weird tall dudes by the fire. Kill the ogre and shield guy at the bridge after they kill the mob with the boulder. Head down the ladder and backstab the pig. Cross the bridge, go up the shortcut elevator, kill the two orges. Head through the dark house and kill the wheelchair guy. Head into the Central Yarnham lamp with at least 12 blood vials, 4 bullets and around 4000 echoes. Rinse, repeat until you're happy with your situation.
You can go up the stairs from the wheelchair dude onto the Great Bridge, destroy the 2 werewolf and then the ogre and then use the lamp where you fought the Clerical Beast. That often nets you an additional 8 vials, sometimes more.

Dave_6

Took me ~3 hours over a couple days to finally get through the first area cleanly. Found one of ENB's videos and watched the first one which really helped me out and showed me some things I missed. Using his tactics, I beat Cleric Beast on my first attempt which was amazing to me; got my blood pumping for sure. I somehow managed to beat
Father Gascoigne
on my 4th attempt, and that was one hell on an intense fight!

I haven't gotten much past that point as I'm afraid of what might be next, lol.

B-Man

Got to
BSB
.. first fight and all i had to do is one more hit, one more hit to kill him, i couldn't even see his red health bar, i've three molotovs left, full health, no poison, and 12 bullets.
then the camera .. the #@$@ camera!!!!
suddenly my lock on him is gone (after a visceral attack), i can't see him, he's hitting me from the back and i'm dead ... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU..

i go back to him frustrated twice, both time the fight is going fine but then he
grabs me
and its a one hit kill, i put the controller down and call it a day, i'll get back to him when i'm less frustrated (and after farming a little for bullets).

phen0m24

Got to
BSB
.. first fight and all i had to do is one more hit, one more hit to kill him, i couldn't even see his red health bar, i've three molotovs left, full health, no poison, and 12 bullets.
then the camera .. the #@$@ camera!!!!
suddenly my lock on him is gone (after a visceral attack), i can't see him, he's hitting me from the back and i'm dead ... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU..

i go back to him frustrated twice, both time the fight is going fine but then he
grabs me
and its a one hit kill, i put the controller down and call it a day, i'll get back to him when i'm less frustrated (and after farming a little for bullets).

Had that on the second boss. Health bar to nil, just...one...more...hit

YOU DIED

You'll get it. :)

Number45

Took a break for a few days, tried out a few new weapons... then went back to my trusty saw cleaver and took down BSB in one hit without breaking a sweat! I think that fight really rewards aggressive play (I used a single fire paper at the start, one vial and an antidote).

However, despite clearing every single area in Old Yarnham I don't seem to have anywhere to go. Do I need to backtrack to the cathedral? Do I need to buy that key that's available to let me unlock the door in the cathedral?

A simple yes or 'you've missed something in Old Yarnham' will do! Trying to play as blind as I can without it becoming frustrating (which it hasn't yet, I'm glad to say).

Took a break for a few days, tried out a few new weapons... then went back to my trusty saw cleaver and took down BSB in one hit without breaking a sweat! I think that fight really rewards aggressive play (I used a single fire paper at the start, one vial and an antidote).

However, despite clearing every single area in Old Yarnham I don't seem to have anywhere to go. Do I need to backtrack to the cathedral? Do I need to buy that key that's available to let me unlock the door in the cathedral?

A simple yes or 'you've missed something in Old Yarnham' will do! Trying to play as blind as I can without it becoming frustrating (which it hasn't yet, I'm glad to say).

Yes head back to the cathedral. Hmm easy way would buy the key or ascend to the church healing workshop. There is a way to the grand cathedral from there ;)

Number45

Cool, thanks. I made my way back to the main Old Yarnham lantern (checking I'd done all I could on the way) so I don't have far to go back. Might as well cash in the echoes while I'm at it then.

Stat!

I can't believe I got through a small section in the early game last night without dying. That to me is impressive.

If anyone likes to chat while playing, hit me up on PSN: Stat_09

Number45

Well, that escalated quickly. WTF is up with the
Unseen Village
? :s

(note: I don't really want to know, it was just a shock)

Spent a little time in Cathedral Ward (found a whole area I hadn't yet explored) and unlocked a new weapon that I quickly upgraded to +3 (
Ludwig's Sword
I think it's called). I think I'll pick up the emblem that allows me to open the main gate next time I play... definitely not ready for those
sack guys
yet! D:

Also, is that area up the elevator from Cathedral Ward the single best place to farm bullets (at least up to this point)? Seems crazy easy and quick to net probably around 15 of them between that elevator and the locked door at the top of the area.

Stat!

Dammet! I had a couple more hits on F
ather Gasgione
on my first time fighting him (thought it took me 15 times to get to him and I died after wasting 15 blood vials on one bloody combo that he got me down with.

Spent a little time in Cathedral Ward (found a whole area I hadn't yet explored) and unlocked a new weapon that I quickly upgraded to +3 (
Ludwig's Sword
I think it's called).

That weapon is my bread and butter. I've got it at +7 right now. The further you get into the game, timing becomes critical (It's certainly not the quickest weapon to wield)... but it deals serious damage.

Dammet! I had a couple more hits on F
ather Gasgione
on my first time fighting him (thought it took me 15 times to get to him and I died after wasting 15 blood vials on one bloody combo that he got me down with.
You can do it! Father G can be parry easily btw.

Number45

That weapon is my bread and butter. I've got it at +7 right now. The further you get into the game, timing becomes critical (It's certainly not the quickest weapon to wield)... but it deals serious damage.
Good to hear. I've been rocking the saw cleaver because I like the speed and it suits my fairly agile style but I think I need a big hitter as a secondary - I tried the axe but didn't really get on with it.

Do you just use it in normal form, or in two hand mode?

Top Bottom