• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, anybody getting the Sega Classics Collection today?

924953_20050126_screen002.jpg

Outrun

924953_20050126_screen003.jpg

Golden Axe

924953_20050126_screen004.jpg

Space Harrier(My favorite)

924953_20050126_screen005.jpg

Columns

924953_20050126_screen006.jpg

Alien Syndrome

924953_20050126_screen007.jpg

Fantasy Zone

924953_20050126_screen008.jpg

Monaco GP

924953_20050126_screen009.jpg

Virtua Racing

924953_20050126_screen010.jpg

Bonanza Brothers

I'm looking forward to Virtua Racing, Alien Syndrome, and Space Harrier the most. The game hasn't had very good reviews in the magazines, but for 20 bucks, there should enough fun here to satisfy anybody!

I'm picking my copy up in an hour. Got me a reserved copy waiting. :D

xexex

Banned
these games were not made by Sega. think of it as a tribute to Sega, even a poor one.

I dont think I'll be getting these. I want Phantasy Star Trilogy.

jenov4

I remember people saying the only decent port was the Virtua Racing one. The rest of the games blew chunks.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
No. I love half of these games in their original arcade/console form, but these remakes are a travesty.

Doesn't even look worth $20. :(

aku:jiki

jenov4 said:
I remember people saying the only decent port was the Virtua Racing one. The rest of the games blew chunks.
No. Fantasy Zone and Bonanza Bros are fine as well. The rest are beyond awful, though.

Sanjuro

I would have enjoyed a REAL classics collection.

Not a classics collection that makes the games in it look like total ass.

Sanjuro

heavy liquid said:
I would have if they had also included the original non-"updated" versions.

I second that. It seems like one of the developer's sons was allowed to play the old games and he went "Daddy Where's the 3D!?". Then daddy thought he would be brillant and trash a bunch of games.

jarrod

Banned
Look at it this way, you're essentially paying $10 each for enhanced PS2 ports of Virtua Racing and Fantasy Zone. Then just ignore everything else on the disc. :)

Virtua Racing fucking rocked, I still remember exactly how I felt playing that game over and over on Mega Drive, the true 3D brought new heights to the "sense of speed", it was so good.

dock

Fantasy Zone is better on the Saturn (this is spoilt slightly by the loading times between stages), but its still pretty good. Its very cheap though, so its totally worth it.

I've just ordered this. £16 including shipping to the UK! :D

jenov4

I'm guessing this collection doesn't come with Virtua Fighter 2? I think that game got released as a Sega Ages in Japan.

john tv

Releasing this only serves to hurt Sega's already nearly-destroyed brand image in the US. Not sure what (or even if) they're thinking over there.

I miss the days when I respected Sega... :(

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Uh yeah... not emulated = no sale.

For some reason I'll still probably get the Phantasy Star ones though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If you're an old-time Sega fan, don't touch this collection. Virtua Racing and Monaco GP are still pretty good, and Columns is fine because, let's face it, it's tough to fuck up Columns. The rest ranges from mediocre (Alien Syndrome) to insulting terrible (Golden Axe). Seriously, Golden Axe looks like it was made by the lowest bidding third grade class.

I think the defining moment of the collection for me was when I was playing Space Harrier and killed the first boss, and the announcer screamed, "IT'S ALL GOOD! KEEP IT GOIN'!"

That's right about when my mind snapped.

Pass. Bring on PSC.

I'm glad to have spent twice as much on the import version of Virtua Racing just so I wouldn't have the other crappified games.

Prospero

MattKeil said:
I think the defining moment of the collection for me was when I was playing Space Harrier and killed the first boss, and the announcer screamed, "IT'S ALL GOOD! KEEP IT GOIN'!"

Thanks for saving me $20.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
blackadde said:
I played a copy of the Sega Ages Golden Axe about a month and a half ago .. :(

I bought a copy when I was in Japan a year and a half ago, because how could Golden Axe be anything but awesome?

Sigh...

I need an antacid (or a session with Outrun 2) after seeing that shot of the Outrun remake with the Mitsubishi-ish convertible. Pass.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
john tv said:
Releasing this only serves to hurt Sega's already nearly-destroyed brand image in the US. Not sure what (or even if) they're thinking over there.

I miss the days when I respected Sega... :(

Same goes for Nintendo. Adoooooooosh!

I kid, I kid. But only partially.

The vast majority of you are ignoring Bonanza Bros. Stop it! It's a great little game on its own, and Tant-R (its multiplayer offshoot) is a full fledged zany BishiBashi-alike with lots of frantic party games.

Cafeman

MetalAlien said:
You guys are nuts, I can't wait to get this!

AGREED!

Come ON! This compilation is $20 and it's worth that for the best version of Virtua Racing to ever come home! It's VR but bumped up to 60fps and by all accounts it does NOT suck. How can any fan of Virtua Racing not salivate at this? Sure, some already own the import but I never went the mod route this generation.

How long I have waited. I own the Genesis version (not very playable anymore I'm afraid). I used to own the 32X version (the best version so far, still has a sub-30fps chop chop to it though but was great in the day). And I still own the Saturn version which is the Aspartame version -- 1/10th the fun of regular VR. I been waitin' for this!

And all the other games ... they are just freebies. I will play them all at least once and I bet I get some enjoyment out of each, even if said enjoyment is just to scornfully laugh at how bad these "updates" are.

-I'm a Sega fan, but that compiliation looks oddly remixed with funny new graphics.
-I rather play the originals.
-they could of chosen a better selection of games

Searren

Unison said:
Also, wtf is up with Fantasy Zone? Has it received no upgrade at all?

I believe when you get to the bosses, the camera shifts to behind Opa-Opa and you fight the bosses in 3D.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Unison said:
Also, wtf is up with Fantasy Zone? Has it received no upgrade at all?

The characters (or at least Opa-Opa and certain enemies) are now 3D models, and after you beat a boss you shift into a behind-the-ship 3D sequence in which you dodge scenery and pick up coins the dying boss spits out.

It's a decent enough version, although it feels a little more sluggish than I remember the original being.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm kinda interested but the revisions look like shit. I've kept hearing negative posts about them playing awkwardly as well but that's about it. Does a decent Virtua Racing port and Bonanza/Fantasy Zone make the package worth it?

Does this include the original versions as well?

chespace said:
Same goes for Nintendo. Adoooooooosh!

I kid, I kid. But only partially.
Arrrg, keep the "inspired" derailment to a minimum please.

Shinobi

Cafeman said:
AGREED!

Come ON! This compilation is $20 and it's worth that for the best version of Virtua Racing to ever come home! It's VR but bumped up to 60fps and by all accounts it does NOT suck. How can any fan of Virtua Racing not salivate at this? Sure, some already own the import but I never went the mod route this generation.

How long I have waited. I own the Genesis version (not very playable anymore I'm afraid). I used to own the 32X version (the best version so far, still has a sub-30fps chop chop to it though but was great in the day). And I still own the Saturn version which is the Aspartame version -- 1/10th the fun of regular VR. I been waitin' for this!

And all the other games ... they are just freebies. I will play them all at least once and I bet I get some enjoyment out of each, even if said enjoyment is just to scornfully laugh at how bad these "updates" are.

Right on the money...there aren't many Sega Ages games I want, and a better then perfect VR is one of 'em (Decathlete Collection, VF2, Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx are the others). Couldn't care less that the rest of the games suck shit...they're just bad throw ins as far as I'm concerned. VR was always better then Daytona in my mind, and ranks as one of the best Sega racers ever behind only the Sega Rally games and maybe F355. Got no problem paying 30 bones Canadian for that.

Worth it for VR alone.

Now for the most important question which of course no one seems to have asked yet:

Does VR support the logitech wheel?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Look at it this way, you're essentially paying $10 each for enhanced PS2 ports of Virtua Racing and Fantasy Zone. Then just ignore everything else on the disc.
That's actually how I'm looking at it. Almost. I'm paying 20 for VR, which I'll hopefully be able to rip out and put on HDD. Everything else from that disc can go to hell for all I care.

That 1up review basically sums up my feelings about the compilation.

The only genuinely bad game on the disc is "Golden Axe". The other 9 games range from "Worth playing"(Space Harrier and Monaco GP) to Good(Alien Syndrome, Columns, Bonanza Brothers, and Fantasy Zone).

They should have thrown Virtua Fighter 2 and Phantasy Star 2 on, though. That would have greatly reduced a lot of the negativity.

Cafeman

Just got done playing SEGA Classics Collection for 2 hours.

Virtua Racing: it rocks! I played 2 arcade modes -- the original three tracks, with 60fps and better overall use of color and shading. Then I played Gran Prix, which was a real treat! You get your F1 car but by placing well in the multi-course race, you get points and unlock other vehicles. The only car I've unlocked so far is F1 with "70's style acceleration", which means you rocket from 0 to 160 in a few car lengths! But the car isn't quite as fast overall. The racing "feels" just right. Smooooth!

The gran prix shows a couple new courses, which you can also play in free mode. The city level from the 32X VRDeluxe made it into this game, although I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same because the polygonal city and roadside is much more "filled in" and complex. I think it's the same. There is a new Island and a Canyon tracks too, that looks like it is all the new ones, but I'm not positive.

What I really like about Virtua Racing is it has harsh penalties for mistakes. If you graze an opponent, you both wipe out, causing nearby opponents to pass you up. This makes the game very challenging and a white knuckle affair when it comes down to the final lap and you are trying to pass the last 2 cars around a curve ... you must be very careful!

I breezed through the first Gran Prix race (4 laps each, I think there are about 5 or 6 total races). First place in all of them. But with the 2nd car, I came only came in 1st place one time. Bump up the music 1 notch to hear it better, play around with those 4 crazy camera angles, enjoy this game!

Top Bottom