• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, anybody getting the Sega Classics Collection today?

Rlan

I'd like to buy it, but I don't know if it'd come out in Australia :\

Seriously, is there a way to softmod the PS2 and Xbox? [ie; play US games on a PAL machine without needing to fiddle inside the console. like a swap disc or some sort of Action replay card thing?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i picked mine up a few days ago.

VR is sweet, but the auto saving seems fucked for the career mode thing. i played through the first season, and half of the second (with the acceleration cars), then quit, and the thing had never saved...

the other games really arent all that bad IMO, especially space harrier.

sure, the graphics are shitty, but i think if you kept the same exact game of outrun or space harrier with really sweet graphics, it just wouldnt mesh well... so, in essence, these terrible graphics "fit" the gameplay, they are just redone in 3d. does that make sense?

overall though, VR is really the only game i give a damn about on the disc. i have my modded xbox to play the rest emulated, and really, for a classics collection, trhere are some really odd choices in there

MetalAlien

Banned
I finally got it! Man VR is really sweet! The graphics look arcade perfect, including the pop-up (i'm fine with it since the arcade popped up in the same way) but it all runs at 60FPS... Nice.

Outrun looks like ass though...shoiuld have left it alone I guess..still glad to have it... I haven't played the others yet...too much PSP.

Cafeman

If this game is based on the 32x version, then they added a lot more detail. The 32X version was coded by SOJ themselves back in the day, and it ROCKED even on the horribly misdesigned stopgap adapter thingy which was 32X.

Anyway, I got a digital camera and I'm not very talented at using it to snap in-game pictures, but here are a few shots of VR:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/Modern/vr.html

MetalAlien

Banned
I made some vid-caps to compare the 2..... Vr deluxe is taken from old video so it's not exactly fair, but I think you can clearly see VR1_PS2 is way more detailed.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/vr1_vrdlx.JPG

vr1_vrdlx.JPG

I got the game today. This collection is not as bad as some make it out to be. VR Racing is great. I really like colums, outrun, space harrier, Bonzai Brothers, and alien syndrome. collums in original arcade mode , plays, sound and looks like the original game. the redone graphics really do fit the original graphics of outrun. Is the as good as Outrun 2. No way, but this was a budget title. I think I actually like this version of Alien syndrome more then the arcade version. it is more playable. the only really bad game in this colleciton is Golden Axe. I think people have been dissappointed in that game, so that why people give this collection a low score. they altered Golden Axe too much. the stages aren't the same. the jumping and then attack move is altered, and they put too much animation in the game. I see Golden Axe worked becuase it was 2d and the frames were limited.

xexex

Banned
my GAWD Virtua Racing on PS2 is damn FUGLY

original 1992 game
vr29iz.jpg

vr44nq.jpg

vr33yc.jpg

vr53kg.jpg

vr62gi.jpg

why to nice games for their time have to get mangled so badly ?

xexex

Banned
and this flawed collection is seriously fucked without After Burner II included, one of the better looking games in the 3D Ages series

040328s4.jpg

ps2-afterburner-2.jpg

040328s3.jpg

14b.jpg

Sho Nuff

Banned
xexex said:
my GAWD Virtua Racing on PS2 is damn FUGLY

original 1992 game
vr29iz.jpg

vr44nq.jpg

vr33yc.jpg

vr53kg.jpg

vr62gi.jpg

why to nice games for their time have to get mangled so badly ?

Uh, actually, VR is the best port in there, and it is arcade perfect geometry wise. This has been proven so many times it's not even funny.

xexex

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Uh, actually, VR is the best port in there, and it is arcade perfect geometry wise. This has been proven so many times it's not even funny.

I'm not disputing that. the PS2 version is superior to the arcade in that its 60 FPS. it just looks bad in screen shots. I'll still buy it (the collection) though

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"the other games really arent all that bad IMO, especially space harrier."

Space harrier is horrible.

WELCOME TO THE EURO-TECHNO-HELL-SHIT-GRAPHICS-MODELS-WITH-TERRIBLE-SLOWDOWN-BEYOND-LEVEL-10-MANTASY-ZONE

:(

very few of the Sega ages games are above average , it's a crying shame :(

xexex

Banned
1990s Sega Ages > 2000s Sega 3D Ages

the 90s Sega Ages on Saturn were far better, because they were the original games.

sa-box.jpg

segaagesvol1_ss_eu.jpg

sat-pal_sega_ages_vol_1.jpg

cv-Sega_Ages-b.jpg

SpaceHarrier-ss-jp.jpg

saturn-case_j.jpg

r499.jpg

r498.jpg

saturn-pack.jpg

cv-After_Burner_II-a.jpg

galaxyforce-front.jpg

galaxyforce-back.jpg

cv-After_Burner_II-b.jpg

Dave Long

Banned
The 1UP review isn't comparing apples to apples with Super Monaco GP. The Sega Ages version is a remake of the arcade original, not the Genesis game with the same name that was completely different in style from the arcade game.

MetalAlien

Banned
Actually if you look closely of the pictures in the VR ads (thanks for flooding the thread with gianormous pictures), the PS2 car-wheels appear to have smaller blocks....if anything it's using a tiny bit more geometry... But either way it's clearly the best port of VR ever released....

I have video of the Saturn version if anyone wants to compare. I am a bit upset we didn't get a progressive scan or 16.9 option since clearly the original game did include at least a 16.9 version. It'd be nice for some full scene anti aliasing too. Shouldn't be too hard for the PS2 running flat polygons. :)

EDIT: here, I took the largest picture from that VR ad, and made a new screen capture (of the same scene) of the PS2 VR to compare.... you can see the geometry is almost exactly the same, except the wheels seems to be slightly higher poly count in the PS2 version....

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/vr_new1.JPG

vr_new1.JPG

Cafeman

Nice comparison shots, MetalAlien. (What product / method do you use for screen caps?)

There are tons of nice details that (maybe all of them?) that are in this PS2 VR.

Those palm trees -- if you hit them, coconuts fall. And the little trees, you can knock those over. Birds fly away at the beginning of the Bridge level and around the first lap's hairpin on the Acropolis. MetalAlien's comparison shots show the detailed city in Acropolis too.

VRDeluxe was good, but it did fake bgs with 2D background layers of moutains.

MetalAlien

Banned
Cafeman said:
Nice comparison shots, MetalAlien. (What product / method do you use for screen caps?).

I have a Dazzleb 80 and a Creative Webcam.. I use the dazzle hardware (with S-video) and the software from the webcam (ditched the camera itself) since the Dazzle 80 comes with crapware.

MetalAlien

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm LOVING this compilation.

Fuck everybody else.

Alien Syndrome > Me.

Me and my nephew just beat Alien Syndrome, that's a cool game.. I've never played the original, but I like this version.

I really like this collection. I can't figure out people saying this collection is all messed up. All the games, except Golden Axe play as good as the Saturn Sega Ages counterparts Outrun, Columns, Space Harrier, Bonzia Brothers,Virtua racing, and Alien syndrome all control and play well. Yes they alter the graphics, but they are just updates of the original graphics in Polygon form. Yes, Golden Axe has problems, and Monacoe all control and play well. Yes they alter the graphics, but they are just updates of the original graphics in Polygon form. Yes, Golden Axe has problems, and I would have preferd AfterBurner 2 over Monaco GP, but overall this is a fun colleciton. I believe if Sega had the same games in a collection that had used the games form the Saturn Sega Ages colleciton, i think people would still whin and bitch.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
It's good this collection costs only $20 dollars.....any more and it would've been a ripoff. The 10 games on this disc contains the original gameplay of each title in spirit, but whoa.....these so-called updated and "remastered" graphics are haphazard and ugly looking (with some exceptions of course).

The best games on this compilation are Outrun, Virtua Racing, Fantasy Zone, and Columns. Why Sega chose Tant R and Bonanza Bros. is puzzling, since both these games aren't all that known on this side of the Pacific. And gee, throwing in 3 racing titles!? Variety is the spice of life, and it could've been mixed up with the likes of After Burner II, Decathlete, or even Gain Ground.

Even though 3D-Ages used the RenderWare platform to remake these titles, it's surprising that the games have slowdown (save for Virtua Racing). Ok, so these are budget titles in Japan.....that's still no excuse for lazy programming. Ack!

Too bad the original renditions of the games weren't included. These remakes look sloppy, but at least the music is faithful. :\

Shinobi

I'm glad Decathlete wasn't included...gives me hope that the whole collection (also includes Winter Heat, Virtua Athlete) will be released here one day!

I'd also like to see a fighting collection with VF2, Vipers and Last Bronx on the same disc.

FightyF

Banned
LOL @ "Virtual Reality Surpasses Reality at Last!" text on the older VR screen

Anyone played VR with a forcefeedback wheel? Does it even support FF? Heh, does it even support a wheel?

mosaic

go eat paint
op_ivy said:
VR is sweet, but the auto saving seems fucked for the career mode thing. i played through the first season, and half of the second (with the acceleration cars), then quit, and the thing had never saved...
Seems this is a known bug. If you create a save file with any of the other games first, your V.R. save will be corrupt and won't record GP times or save unlocked cars. In order to avoid any problems, you have to play Virtua Racing first and create the save file... then all will work OK.

Top Bottom