• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

KarmaCow

The fuck. You kidding me? There goes my will to preorder then.

The last time they offered a personalized 25% off code, they offered $12 cash back or $15 credit a few days after the code expired. It's not exactly the same because they'll charge you $50 and refund $12 a few days late but it's still essentially 25% off.

sixghost

Hey guys, I'm the person who made that GIF.

Don't use that as a testament to the lighting. Because it is a 50fps GIF, I had to limit the colors for it to maintain the smoothness, and as a result it's colors are really compressed.

Here's a better PC lighting example showing off a great area

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/066/e/1/data_2014_01_30_23_24_19_28_by_aloo81-d79c6am.jpg[/MG]

I tested these both and that actually wasn't the case.

Jumps were only shorter when it was actually over a gap in which you had enough time to being your "fall" animation.[/QUOTE]

Some parts of DS1 on PC looks so damn good at higher graphics settings.

Thanks for the offer Nito.

I'd love to get the game for 25% off but my Paypal's locked also and I'm too lazy to send them all the info they want and blah.

Well, this sounds much much better than the previous, grim panorama...

I'm not sure I'm ready to scream "Pre-ordering intensifies" but I'm very close!

How awesome would it be to have at least a bloody little gif to tease us. Maybe they'll end up doing that given how popular gifs have become to showcase things. I'm still peeved they've kept the PC version under a hundred locks as if it's some sort of arcane mystery, argh.

lokeloski

Aw man, I was all "let's hope the gameplay is cool despite the graphics" for the pc version, but that video with the sprite trees on the distance really bummed me down a little.
It's not really about the graphics, but the heavy and dark atmosphere was the coolest part (for me) in DaS1, apart from the gameplay. Now I'm a little bit anxious to see how the final product will be on pc.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If anyone else gets a 25% off code from GMG that they don't plan to use, I would really, really appreciate it if I could use it.

I've also tweeted GMG on twitter so we'll see if I can end up with one.

Thank you for the amazing gif.

It's my favorite too.

I actually wanted to remake it because I've gotten better at making GIFs since then but I'm not sure how I feel on the remake. Others can judge it! I think I want to record again and crop it differently.

edit: Actually screw this one, better one added below!

There's a little added slow motion as well on the jump

Garcia

Aw man, I was all "let's hope the gameplay is cool despite the graphics" for the pc version, but that video with the sprite trees on the distance really bummed me down a little.
It's not really about the graphics, but the heavy and dark atmosphere was the coolest part (for me) in DaS1, apart from the gameplay. Now I'm a little bit anxious to see how the final product will be on pc.

The console version of Dark Souls 2 suffers tremendously because the vast majority of the effects are completely gone: Lighting, shading, AO, FOV, etc. It was the sum of all those things what made Dark Souls 1 so cohesive and delightful to watch.

If most of those things are present in the PC version, the game will definitely benefit. Not tremendously, mind you (we won't see anything that even closely resembles the beauty of that demo), but it will certainly help to diminish the shocking effect of stumbling upon the most horrible textures in the game, and oh boy does Dark Souls 2 have a lot of those!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That remake was lame.

This ones got all that polish you've hopefully come to expect - with the slowmo added.

reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For anyone interested in something goofy, here was a dumb outtake from when I was trying to make that GIF earlier

Amazing

How are you getting the game to play at 120fps? Can I do so in real time (with minimum headache), or is it just for show?

PS. You should post a 120fps capture on mega or something. I would love to see it.

The downside of rendering at 120fps is that physics start to bug out a bit.

Running on any form of incline causes huge issues, you'll actually move slower sprinting than walking regularly. You can actually end up slower running on a hill than by walking.

It just reacts really weird.

It's a big thing you notice often.

You can play as 120fps, but yeah it is buggy. All you have to do is set the framerate in DSFix to 120fps.

The way that I make these slow motion GIFs is unlocking the in game frame rate to 240fps, recording with DXtory at 240fps, and using Cheat Engine to set the game to .25 speed.

The outcome is rendering and recording at 240fps, but since it's at .25% speed it's only taxing my system as much as it would at 60fps, so no worries about write speed or CPU/GPU capability.

I can try and upload something thats 120fps for you, give me a bit.

Edit: Here's the 120fps video!

Nillansan

'positive'

1080p at 60fps
Several graphics options. Textures, shadows, effects, AA, AO, blur, anisotropic filtering, water quality, depth of field and etc
There's an option that will automatically lower your graphics to mantain performance
Really fast loading times. Don't even have time to read an entire tip

If all of the above is in fact the case, then it sounds like a pretty solid port regardless of a lightning downgrade, so yeah, everything is indeed looking positive.

Seanspeed

Banned
huge amounts of graphic options won't make 2d tree sprites look any better
Yep.

And sorry if I don't get all happy that they included graphics options that are standard in most every PC game. People keep calling this a 'port', but they said this would be the lead platform this time around.

I'd say we're still getting a very substandard PC game in the end. I'm still excited for it and I've been avoiding most all DSII discussion not graphics-related so I can go in mostly blind, but I'm quite prepared for the game to look quite ugly when I get it.

Very disappointing all in all. Could be worse, I suppose. I could have to play it on a last-gen console......<shudders>

Durante

I'd say we're still getting a very substandard PC game in the end.
I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. If those leaked options are true, together with the settings and improved textures we already knew about, what we're getting is a very competent PC version of a last-gen game. Better, in fact, than a great many ports released over the past 6 years, and by no means substandard. Unless you apply expectations to the "standard" which less than 5% of all games released fulfill.

The_Monk

Dark Souls II is currently my only pre-ordered game for PC. Back in the day I was expecting to get it by March which would be nice because it would match my birthday. Now I waited all this time and I can only hope to look decent and without any frame rate issues.

I no longer have my PS3 because I sold it to use the money to help a friend (his mom was in the Hospital) in need and I have this on pre-order since November. I've been budgeting every single month and avoiding all other sorts of hype for any other game, I really want this game to be at least an enjoyable experience on PC. Oh and even if I get this, it will only be in May due the international shipping...!

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. If those leaked options are true, together with the settings and improved textures we already knew about, what we're getting is a very competent PC version of a last-gen game. Better, in fact, than a great many ports released over the past 6 years, and by no means substandard. Unless you apply expectations to the "standard" which less than 5% of all games released fulfill.
Well I suppose I mean substandard in terms of it looking like a game from 6-7 years ago.

Haven't seen much evidence of these improved textures myself. I think FROM tried, but in the end, it really is just a port of an ugly PS3/Xbox360 game. I think my expectations from it being the 'lead platform' are what set up the disappointment most of all.

I mean, c'mon dude, I know you're not entirely happy with how its turned out, either.

Garcia

Yep.

And sorry if I don't get all happy that they included graphics options that are standard in most every PC game. People keep calling this a 'port', but they said this would be the lead platform this time around.

I'd say we're still getting a very substandard PC game in the end. I'm still excited for it and I've been avoiding most all DSII discussion not graphics-related so I can go in mostly blind, but I'm quite prepared for the game to look quite ugly when I get it.

Very disappointing all in all. Could be worse, I suppose. I could have to play it on a last-gen console......<shudders>

If all the effects of the PC version are properly balanced then the game probably won't look as bad as it does on consoles. I wish I could drop the "probably" from that sentence but without any footage or screenshots it is impossible to know. I'm more worried about the textures, especially of those in very specific areas which really hurt the eye. I'm keeping my expectations pretty low on their texture work for this release.

The fact that we're getting some information 2 weeks away from launch is already a small victory for everyone after the outrage surrounding the consoles.

As a side note: The underlying problem is an issue that should be tackled from all fronts, not just with this game in particular, and I hope to see a true change in the consumer's perspective from now on. Gamers as a majority still don't understand that they own every single company and publisher out there. They are the reason why those exist and if they collectively opened their eyes in the way some people are already beginning to, this industry would reach a (much needed) point of equilibrium.

No more blind pre-ordering, publishers and developers would fully disclose the state of their products and their transparency would only lead to even more pre-orders and hype. No more carefully tailored demos that were never supposed to see the light of day as full games.

False advertising in gaming needs to stop. The sooner it happens, the better for everyone.

Back on topic: Gbraga, hope you're able to get us some more fresh info regarding the PC version. We truly appreciate it.

Haunted

I'm sure if we press Brad, he'll post something inane that doesn't actually tell us anything about it on twitter, like "it looks fine".

I wonder what "effects" is. Did he just get lazy and told me "effects" or is it actually called that? Haha.
I actually dislike vague option settings like that. >_>

"Post-Processing: On/Off"

Could be fucking anything.

Gbraga

I think it's probably just a debug thing they still didn't removed for the final release (at leasat I hope so, otherwise it would be pretty stupid), but apparently you can toggle auto block and auto run on the keyboard.

I'm sure if we press Brad, he'll post something inane that doesn't actually tell us anything about it on twitter, like "it looks fine".

Maybe he could at least say if my stuff is super wrong or not.

lokeloski

I wonder what "effects" is. Did he just get lazy and told me "effects" or is it actually called that? Haha.

Maybe he's talking about particles and bloom?

As a side note: The underlying problem is an issue that should be tackled from all fronts, not just with this game in particular, and I hope to see a true change in the consumer's perspective from now on. Gamers as a majority still don't understand that they own every single company and publisher out there. They are the reason why those exist and if they collectively opened their eyes in the way some people are already beginning to do, this industry would reach a (much needed) point of equilibrium.

No more blind pre-ordering, publishers and developers would fully disclose the state of their products and their transparency would only lead to even more pre-orders and hype. No more carefully tailored demos that were never supposed to see the light of day as full games.

False advertising in gaming needs to stop. The sooner it happens, the better for everyone.

Back on topic: Gbraga, hope you're able to get us some more fresh info regarding the PC version. We truly appreciate it.

This reminds me of a video from TotalBiscuit saying almost the same thing (if I remember correctly) because of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines problem.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities

I'd say we're still getting a very substandard PC game in the end.

I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. If those leaked options are true, together with the settings and improved textures we already knew about, what we're getting is a very competent PC version of a last-gen game.

He said a substandard PC game in general, not a PC version of a PS3 game, like you tried to spin it. And he is right, tech wise it's a lackster 2014 PC game. They dropped the ball on the consoles and it just avalanched onto the PC.

Seanspeed

Banned
If all the effects of the PC version are properly balanced then the game probably won't look as bad as it does on consoles. I wish I could drop the "probably" from that sentence but without any footage or screenshots it is impossible to know. I'm more worried about the textures, especially of those in very specific areas which really hurt the eye. I'm keeping my expectations pretty low on their texture work for this release.

The fact that we're getting some information 2 weeks away from launch is already a small victory for everyone after the outrage surrounding the consoles.

As a side note: The underlying problem is an issue that should be tackled from all fronts, not just with this game in particular, and I hope to see a true change in the consumer's perspective from now on. Gamers as a majority still don't understand that they own every single company and publisher out there. They are the reason why those exist and if they collectively opened their eyes in the way some people are already beginning to, this industry would reach a (much needed) point of equilibrium.

Bitching about the 'false advertising' on a mass scale is gonna result in us getting little to no media released until right before the game releases. Have fun with that.

komplanen

Bitching about the 'false advertising' on a mass scale is gonna result in us getting little to no media released until right before the game releases. Have fun with that.

Or how about companies release footage when the game is nearly complete? Personally I don't like this current state where games get announced and shown off over a year before release. It's pointless. A few months would suffice and in the case of DS2 a few months is what it would have taken to have no footage of the old lighting model.

soontroll

Banned
If all of the above is in fact the case, then it sounds like a pretty solid port regardless of a lightning downgrade, so yeah, everything is indeed looking positive.

Sorry if I'm not impressed with yet another PC version being downgraded to hell because of consoles. I guess I'm glad that FromSoft has tried to salvage the situation by giving us a port with nice graphics options but I don't see the blatant downgrade as a positive.

So many people were crying about the downgrade and how it was horrible practice to market the game as if it's a generation better than the retail version and as if PC was the lead platform but obviously since it's Dark Souls, everyone will just suck up to them and start pre-ordering. It's all well and good now since FromSoft will get the nice stacks of $$$ and fuck us over next time as well.

How is it a victory if the information is from an unofficial source? Clearly the people who matter have not bothered with us.

FACE

Banned
I wonder if it's locked at 1080p/60 fps. That'd be silly, but after Dark Souls and MG Rising I don't doubt anything.

The thing about Dark Souls, though, isn't so much the graphical fidelity as it is about the perfectly refined gameplay. Give me upgraded textures and no stutters or framerate-drops and I am a happy camper.

Garcia

How is it a victory if the information is from an unofficial source? Clearly the people who matter have not bothered with us.

It is a small victory in the sense that we're finally getting some information regardless of the source.

Ideally we would be getting that from a direct source but I think it's almost naive at this point to expect such things from the same guys who insulted their fans with their official statement regarding the consoles downgrade.

Short term solution: Stop pre-ordering.

If they conceal their precious until release date, no one should even bother about pre-ordering anymore.

soontroll

Banned

You know what? I know it won't ever happen but I would be completely fine with that. No more downgrades? Gameplay trailers that are actually representative of final gameplay? Count me in.

Are companies allowed to bullshit us either way now? Either by releasing misrepresentative footage or no footage at all? Now that's a great attitude.

Top Bottom