• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Evilore

When are you going to write a book? I want to know:

• How you came to purchase Gifs and Fun.
  • Why you bought it and how you felt
  • What happened with the offer of selling Gaf, how did you feel, why did you say no?
  • What happened with being banned from E3, how did you react? (looking back Gaf were the pioneers of snubbing E3)
  • What happened with the rift and the shutting of the forum
  • How did you come back better than before?
I want to know the business side of the Gaf story and your personal story of how went from, what was perceived on Gaf, as a socially-retired, foot-loose and fancy free globe-trotter with a less-than-stellar approach to some discussions, to a well-rounded, level-headed wise adult.

How did you reflect on your past self, what helped you over-come your short-comings and where do you see yourself in the future?

Yeah, sure you're the owner of this forum so people might see this as a kiss-arse, brown-nosing attempt, but it's not. I like to hear/read stories of how people changed for the better, especially if they went through some relative hardship or adversity. For example, Tony Robbins.

You can see a bit of the PS booth in this. Upstairs was a full blown Bar. They had Flat Screens everywhere (1998) where you could order up any PS1 game to play.

A little game called Metal Gear Solid was being shown off as well.

Edit: Thread Derail..... sorry about that!

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
I did video production for both the expo and the pre-show conferences for one of the big game sites (rhymes with Guy-Bee-Gin) for 4 years back in the mid 2000’s. The Santa Monica year was so sad. Chobot’s a diva, btw ;)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Richard Packer Richard Packer They approved fan blogs with a couple posts and 500,000 Alexa Rank for badges but rejected NeoGAF one year despite it never being a problem before. I posted a GAF thread about it and it got a fair bit of attention. A bunch of industry people reached out and offered to help, but I got it sorted out through a business associate. Another time I had to get a couple badges on-site for my crew and the guy in charge of the admissions didn't seem particularly...cognitively present, and didn't understand what forums were at all, so there's probably not much to what happened the other year, admissions guy changed or some such.

Mista

Banned
Richard Packer Richard Packer They approved fan blogs with a couple posts and 500,000 Alexa Rank for badges but rejected NeoGAF one year despite it never being a problem before. I posted a GAF thread about it and it got a fair bit of attention. A bunch of industry people reached out and offered to help, but I got it sorted out through a business associate. Another time I had to get a couple badges on-site for my crew and the guy in charge of the admissions didn't seem particularly...cognitively present, and didn't understand what forums were at all, so there's probably not much to what happened the other year, admissions guy changed or some such.
Ah I see, putting someone in charge of something he’s clueless of. Not surprised at all

Thabass

Reminds me of the time when we had tried to get press creds for E3 2014 for my old website Pulp 365. Didn't get them, but we did get passes to the event. So at least we got something.

nush

The funny thing is now no one wants to go to E3.

I went once, it was crowded, smelly and I didn't get to play any games. I did get lots of booth babe pictures though so it wasn't a complete loss. But like my colleague had said years before, the best place to experience E3 is through the Internet.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore, with the forum relaunch, was this all you, or a team that put it all together?

It's great, BTW.

Gromph Gromph did the massive database migration (one of the largest forum migrations in internet history, no doubt, hats off to Gromph) and servers. Palliasso Palliasso did the new themes, most of our awesome custom features like Twitch, Discord, giveaways. Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights helps formulate policy and keeps the moderation heroic. Avasarala Avasarala implemented our fabulous custom emoji sets and helped with the Politics forum launch. Mod of War Mod of War , DGrayson DGrayson , Faust Faust , and Kururu Kururu keep a watchful eye. Keylime Keylime organized our recent merch design contest.

It's a team effort.

Amazing team, amazing site. That server migration had to be very nerve racking.

To each and every one of you, you are a
fR1AjEi.jpg

Or woman!

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Yeah honestly I only browsed in the past, didn't join up until after the reeeeeeboot. I'm mostly here just to shitpost and have a laugh while also occasionally talking about videogames, but it's nice to have a community in which to actually do that nowadays.

So yeah the behind the scenes stuff behind that whole change would be interesting, but beyond that good job. I like it here.

Gromph Gromph did the massive database migration (one of the largest forum migrations in internet history, no doubt, hats off to Gromph) and servers. Palliasso Palliasso did the new themes, most of our awesome custom features like Twitch, Discord, giveaways. Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights helps formulate policy and keeps the moderation heroic. Avasarala Avasarala implemented our fabulous custom emoji sets and helped with the Politics forum launch. Mod of War Mod of War , DGrayson DGrayson , Faust Faust , and Kururu Kururu keep a watchful eye. Keylime Keylime organized our recent merch design contest.

It's a team effort.
And in giving that reaction, I got the 'you have quite the reaction' achievement. Thank you and keep up the great work everyone!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Slowly but surely building back up. Glad I joined when I did. It's nice seeing a community (albeit from essentially starting over) grow. :messenger_horns::messenger_horns:

Just shows how many legitimately bat-shit, delusional psychos were originally on here that bailed for that OTHER place. I went there for a bit and they are flat-out nuts. I mean, totally out-of-touch with reality.

Thabass

Just shows how many legitimately bat-shit, delusional psychos were originally on here that bailed for that OTHER place. I went there for a bit and they are flat-out nuts. I mean, totally out-of-touch with reality.

And shows how many of them have returned and freed their minds.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

It's a team effort.
You know what I like about the new admins/mods team? They’re all new apart from Gromph the OG. You rarely see them posting but always on the watch. I’d like to see them more around interacting but that’s up to them of course

I’d also like to add that they don’t take sides. Thread got heated? They get in between to calm the storm and leave. I love them

Last edited:
In terms of posting activity, we went from about 75,000 posts per day pre-drama to 500 posts per day after the drama. We're back up to around 4,000 posts per day and 5,000 reactions per day now.
I thought about it a bit lately, and I have to say, you have my respect for duking it out instead of saying "fuck it" and leave. Which I would have probably done.

Can't imagine the shit you had to go through at the time.
And I am happy I that this place still exists, or I would probably have left gaming forums all together for the future after my weird stint at REE where I didn't post much because I was scared to get immediately banned.

And it's better than ever here..

Kudos to you, sir...

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
You know what I like about the new admins/mods team? They’re all new apart from Gromph the OG. You rarely see them posting but always on the watch. I’d like to see them more around interacting but that’s up to them of course

I’d also like to add that they don’t take sides. Thread got heated? They get in between to calm the storm and leave. I love them

uUM97Jn.gif

Stealth thread to mooch achievements from the boss?

Stealth thread to mooch cheevos from the boss.

I would like to see a deep dive of everything that has happened with evilore and neogaf.

Get it on book form Evilore and earn a new revenue stream, plus free marketing for gaf.

Don't forget toto mention the Voat era ;)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Amazing team, amazing site. That server migration had to be very nerve racking.

To each and every one of you, you are a
fR1AjEi.jpg

Or woman!

Server migration took a lot of considerations and planing, but after that all was straight forward.
I think the best achievement was reducing the migration time of a 150GB database from 24+hours to less than 3h.

And is not nerve racking... is just boring waiting for it to finish :)

Last edited:
Server migration took a lot of considerations and planing, but after that all was straight forward.
I think the best achievement was reducing the migration time of a 150GB database from 24+hours to less than 3h.

And is not nerve racking... is just boring waiting for it to finish :)

Lol, the best thing about this thread is all the honesty.

-Footage of the migration-

'...and now we wait.'

I0JdOUm.jpg

Just kidding Gromph, thanks for everything you do!

No argument here. We had 16+ straight years of steady growth until the big drama. But, taking it slowly and doing it right builds a stronger foundation for the future. We’ll see plenty more recovery in 2020.

I would imagine with gaf back to it's best and the only gaming forum in town, that the next gen should bring an influx of numbers.

Though I have enjoyed watching the last two e3s without gaf dying

Top Bottom